PDA

View Full Version : Larry Johnson a Steeler?

steveironcity
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
They were just saying on Monday Night Countdown, that If LJ clears waivers, "He might want to sign with the Steelers". I dont think the Rooneys would want this guy on the team. Thoughts?

Sharkissle29
11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
No way

Christian Snyder
11-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I highly doubt they will. The Steelers have 0% tolerance for domestic abuse and LJ has hit his Girlfriend before, which of course is domestic abuse.

Nighthawk
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Doubtful - ESPN is just looking for some way to mention our boring club :tt04::tt02::tt03::tt:

tyler289
11-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, of course he would want to sign with the Steelers, but that doesn't mean the Steelers want to sign him.

Steelboy84
11-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Not gonna happen. LJ is too much trouble and Tomlin would never go for it.

hindes204
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
damnit.....i knew this thread was coming :banging:

Kaeg
11-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Yea, seems like too much baggage there, plus I don't know if he will be very productive anymore. What is he, 29? I don't suppose that's too bad, but it seems like his production has been going down to me. Maybe that's because he was on the Chiefs though.

Merchant
11-09-2009, 06:45 PM
LOL.. he wishes..

NEPAsteeler
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm glad he wants to sign with the Steelers (I mean, who wouldn't?), but I just don't think it would happen. It would be the right situation for him though when you think about it... he wouldn't be the feature back (that's what we have Rashard, Willie, and even Mewelde for), just short yardage. He'd be in a strong organization with a front office, coaches, and players that won't take any crap. I just don't see it happening though.

stillers4me
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
um.......no.

Steelboy84
11-09-2009, 06:57 PM
um.......no.

:rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quick and to the point.

Glace
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I highly doubt they will. The Steelers have 0% tolerance for domestic abuse and LJ has hit his Girlfriend before, which of course is domestic abuse.

Like Harrison?

Winning and defensive player of the year changes the way we think....or forget.

X-Terminator
11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Yep, didn't take long at all for this thread to turn up.

Forget it. The Steelers absolutely, positively, WILL NOT sign LJ and all that baggage that comes with him. It's silly to even entertain the thought. Do you not realize who owns the team?

Jaquila
11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
lol could be interesting, when you think about it, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut no=)

RoethlisBURGHer
11-09-2009, 07:04 PM
It isn't going to happen, no way no how.

steveironcity
11-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I am not in favor of it, I was just shocked that I heard the Steelers mentioned in the same breath as him. Usually the national media seems to know better, that the Rooneys do not like his type on the team.

Preacher
11-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Don't need to clear a roster spot for leftovers.

HometownGal
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Riiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Hines0wnz
11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
OMG, stop.

SteelersMongol
11-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Then V don't need no hair pulling, girl punching sissies.

touchdownward
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
No way, we'd have to hire someone to change his diaper. :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
11-09-2009, 09:04 PM
This is stupid....NO

KeiselPower99
11-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Im sure there is alot of guys that would like to sign with us. Dont mean its gonna happen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

file this one with the Ron Dayne, TJ Duckett, Shawn Alexander, and other washed up backs threads.

LVSteelersfan
11-09-2009, 10:45 PM
It's about the same as Vick coming to the Steelers. The idiots in the press just like to sensationalize things. Johnson is not good enough to even make our practice squad.

Dodt
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
sure we could use a backup

for steely mcbeam.

BubbyBrister
11-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Unless your name is James Harrison. Just sayin'.

BradfordTheGreat
11-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Too many solid backs on the roster already.

He wouldn't be a terrible addition, but I don't think the Rooneys or Tomlin would stand for it.

MattsMe
11-09-2009, 11:10 PM
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::coffee:

That is all.

SteelerFanInStl
11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Not gonna happen.

memphissteelergirl
11-09-2009, 11:43 PM
OH, HELL TO THE NAW!! :mad:

SteelC7
11-09-2009, 11:53 PM
ya rite, we got a better back anyway

GridironWarrior
11-09-2009, 11:58 PM

What???

steeltheone
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM
If you could even suggest this, you are not a real Steeler fan.

stb_steeler
11-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Never happen......He's 30 and Rooney would never put up with his crap. Bank on it !

Galax Steeler
11-10-2009, 03:52 AM
We have Mendenhall why would we need Johnson.

Christian Snyder
11-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Yes, that's true.... I didn't think this was true but then I looked it up and he did slap his girlfriend.

Venom
11-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Say it aint so . Do we really need him ? I dont want him !!!!!!

arge5809
11-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Like Harrison?

Winning and defensive player of the year changes the way we think....or forget.

Come on now,, Harrison only smacked a cell phone.... lol !

:noidea: :doh:

HometownGal
11-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Yes, that's true.... I didn't think this was true but then I looked it up and he did slap his girlfriend.

Santo was accused of abusing his g/f too. The charges were dropped by the DA against both Santo and Harrison.

Justin Otstott
11-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Nope, we don't need him.

The_WARDen
11-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Don't need him....don't want him...Steelers already have a 29-30 yearold RB that's hit the wall. His name is Parker.

Also, he won't start here and does anyone really think this punk will be content to be a backup AND keep his mouth shut?

:coffee:

solardave
11-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Well, of course he would want to sign with the Steelers, but that doesn't mean the Steelers want to sign him.

We don't need him on to many levels to talk about. His baggage far exceeds his worth!!!:coffee:

Shoes
11-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Sorry I didn't get here sooner :chuckle:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/Flushing_toilet-1.png

stlrtruck
11-10-2009, 08:13 AM
While I do believe that sometimes a change in scenery can change a players mentality and his performance levels, I don't think Pittsburgh is the place for him.

Indo
11-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Since this is the SECOND thread on this topic in 2 days...
I'll say it again

Ain't no way
Ain't no how

LJ will NEVER wear the Black and Gold. EVER.

Locker Room Cancer
T.O.Jr.

Those that think he might be considered just don't understand this Organization, the Front Office, or the Rooneys.

steelballs
11-10-2009, 08:34 AM
My answer to this rumor is NO....Hell No!

lilyoder6
11-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Don't need him....don't want him...Steelers already have a 29-30 yearold RB that's hit the wall. His name is Parker.

i don't think it's more of the fact that larry hit a wall than it is that the cheifs absolutly sucks for the last 2 yrs and can't block worth of shit...

when u give larry a line who can block he topped 1700 the 1st 2 yrs as a starter..

then the cheifs became shitty.. line retired and filled w/ ppl who can't block and he broke his foot last yr..

i think larry will be a good runner again if given a line

markymarc
11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Ed Bouchette was on ESPN First Take today and squashed this crazy rumor. Ed stated that no way would the Steelers bring in a troubled player like LJ.

KeiselPower99
11-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Sure he can come to Heinz Field...He can pay for a ticket and watch how real football players do the job.

AllD
11-10-2009, 02:43 PM
His claim that he should have been drafted by the Steelers is just a smokescreen for his emotional problems. We traded up with KC for Polamalu and got a HOFer instead.

Psyychoward86
11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
His claim that he should have been drafted by the Steelers is just a smokescreen for his emotional problems. We traded up with KC for Polamalu and got a HOFer instead.

what were we thinking :chuckle:

Steelboy84
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM

:thumbsup: :applaudit: :drink:

SteelersMomma
11-10-2009, 05:18 PM
its not going to happen. Thats like Vick we didn't take him aboard when we could have. He's to much of a trouble maker to end up on the team.

St33lersguy
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Weren't we supposed to sign Michael Vick too?

NV STEELERS 723
11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Since nobody has brought this up ... I will... I remember when we signed the Bus and he was labeled lazy,not a team player, and done in his career w/ the Rams... as they say the rest is history...Jerome STILL IS the STEELERS !

We all know the Rooneys and how they operate our beloved franchise...its classy and words don't explain how awesome they are.... now LJ imo still has some left in the tank... and even though we are fine at RB he was the best only 3 yrs ago...it's a interesting deal since the media is saying he wants to play for the STEELERS ....maybe he could behave himself ???? since we are supposed to forgive and forget..... ie Vick... seems to me LJ will sign w/ a NFL team that wants to take a chance... I know its unlikely its our beloved STEELERS..... but we are just fans,,,,, and we don't make those decisions.

steeltheone
11-10-2009, 09:12 PM
If Lazy and not a team player were his worst problems, he would still be playing.

sharkweek
11-10-2009, 10:05 PM
it could happen, but he would REALLY need to want to play for us, as in take a huge pay cut...to be a backup.

Davison_K
11-11-2009, 08:38 AM

Also, he won't start here and does anyone really think this punk will be content to be a backup AND keep his mouth shut?

He did for the first 3 years of his contract. Playing scarcely until Priest Holmes got hurt every year :noidea:

But I highly doubt Pittsburgh signing him either way. The last thing we need is a running back who turns 30 in a week.

The_WARDen
11-11-2009, 08:43 AM
He did for the first 3 years of his contract. Playing scarcely until Priest Holmes got hurt every year :noidea:

But I highly doubt Pittsburgh signing him either way. The last thing we need is a running back who turns 30 in a week.

that's cause he was a nobody then..

ARKIESTEEL
11-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Would kind of be funny to sign him let him play the game in KC then cut him.........................I guess I am twisted like that

JunScooby
11-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I cant even see it. We are stacked at RB and have no need to take a risk on a character issue such as this. Especially with the low tollerence they have for this already. People say anything in front of a microphone.

SteelCityMan786
11-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I am a Penn State fan and would love to see him play in Pittsburgh, but I just can't see him in Black and Gold.

Indo
11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
This thread is STILL going? REALLY?

I'm going to start by saying that I respect everyone's opinion on this board and realize that we all have our opinions, so I am not attacking anyone here

With that being said----
Do those of you that think LJ (or Vick, for that matter) could be considered by the Steelers (THE ROONEYS)?
They have ALWAYS been about Integrity. And Honesty. And Respect for Others.
That is why they are thought of so highly in the NFL (by the various Commish's, other owners, etc) and why they sit on most of the owner's committees, etc.

Now,
Forget about all of the gay slurs that LJ uttered. Just imagine him talking to Tomlin and saying, "Eff you, Mike, you suck and never even played Pro Football. Who are YOU to tell me how to run the ball or how to behave off of the field!!"
Do you have that picture in your mind?
Good

Now,
Imagine him a Steeler when he said that.

You can't. Period.

It's not just about talent. It's about Integrity, Honesty, and Respect.
I won't comment on the first two, but LJ clearly doesn't have the last one for his coach. And there is nothing to convince me that he will have any for Tomlin.

There is a precedent for this type of behavior in the NFL.
His name is Terrell Owens. He is the greatest, mostest bestest teammate and team player in the league-----until he doesn't get his way. Then he goes right back to being the Douche that he is (it's innate; he can't help it, and nobody can change it)

Would you want T.O. on the Steelers?

If not, why would anyone want LJ (or Vick?)

fansince'76
11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
.... now LJ imo still has some left in the tank... and even though we are fine at RB he was the best only 3 yrs ago...

3 years is an ETERNITY for a NFL running back. I would love to have the LaDainian Tomlinson of 2006 as well. The 2009 version? No thanks. Considering that Johnson turns 30 later this month and also taking his historically piss-poor, me-first attitude into account, I'd pass, which I have no doubt the Steelers will.

fansince'76
11-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Would you want T.O. on the Steelers?

Trust me, some people, who still simply do not get how this organization operates, would.

For example: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=575095#post575095

steel striker
11-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I can't see this happening and, especially can't see it with the way Johnson has beenacting over the past few years. Not a character guy at all.

revefsreleets
11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
As always, there is a 0.0000000000000000000000000000 chance that this would ever happen.

The kids may not know better, and they will learn...they have inexperience and naivety as an excuse.

For the others who SHOULD know better but don't get it?

Well, every board needs a few numbskulls for the rest of us to make fun of...

HometownGal
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
This thread is STILL going? REALLY?

My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:

It aint gonna happen so why clog up the Steelers forum with this nonsense? :coffee:

Seriously - with as well as the team is doing and facing a divisional rival this weekend for the top dog spot, don't we have better things to discuss around here?

Davison_K
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
that's cause he was a nobody then..

A nobody who averaged 4.75 yds/carry and had 10 TDs the first two years. Also he will be a nobody again if he is signed to a vet min which is probably what he would have to settle for to get a decent chance at a ring which is what it seems he wants by the teams he is interested in.

I don't think Pittsburgh is the place for Larry Johnson, nor do I want him here. I just think that the chances of him keeping his mouth shut and staying out of trouble are greater than you are giving him credit for. Sometimes hitting rock bottom is a learning experience.

mesaSteeler
11-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Many reasons the Steelers should not sign Larry Johnson
November 11, 3:33 PMPittsburgh Steelers Examiner
Dan Flickinger
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m11d11-Many-reasons-the-Steelers-should-not-sign-Larry-Johnson#

For Larry Johnson, it would be a fresh start.

The recently released yet talented but troubled running back now finds himself without a job after several troubled years with the Kansas City Chiefs whose management finally was fed up with the former Pro-Bowler.

After his official release on Monday, Johnson commented that he would still like to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers which makes all the sense in the world for the Penn State graduate.

But for the Steelers: It makes no sense at all.

Johnson has been suspended twice in the past year by the Chiefs, with his latest suspension coming two weeks ago after posting a gay slur on his twitter account, and questioning the competence of his head coach, Todd Haley.

"A part of him is excited and a part of him is very regretful," his agent, Peter Schaffer, told The Associated Press. "There's a lot of feelings going on right now. It's analogous to breaking up with a girlfriend. Maybe you saw it coming, but it still hurts when it happens."

Since 2006 he’s held out of training camp, been sentenced to two years probation for disturbing the peace, and was suspended in ’08 for violating team rules.

And people actually believe that an ownership group as distinguished as the Rooney family would want a guy like this?

With the recent emergence of second-year running back Rashard Mendenhall, the last thing the Steelers front office wants is a guy with Johnson’s attitude to impede Mendenhall’s progress.

Not only does Johnson have the emotional baggage but he’s also been unproductive recently as his numbers have significantly dropped off in the last couple years on a very poor Kansas City Chiefs team.

Add to the fact that the Steelers already have a crowded backfield with Mendenhall, Willie Parker, and Mewelde Moore and it just doesn’t make sense for Pittsburgh to sign the beleaguered running back this year.

Some will argue that the stable, low-keyed Steelers organization (who has not commented on their interest) is a place that could keep Johnson’s actions in check and where he could be successful and revive his career. With Willie Parker likely leaving at the end of this season, maybe Johnson could slide into his spot and be productive.

While that argument has some validity to it, it’s just an issue that not important enough for the 6-2 Steelers to be distracted by as they look to take first place in the AFC North with a win against Cincinnati Sunday.

NOTES:

- Larry Johnson's most productive years were in 2005 and 2006 when he rushed for a combined 3,539 yards and 37 touchdowns.

- He finished with 2.087 rushing yards in 2002 while a senior at Penn State.