PDA

View Full Version : Steelers History

CSC
11-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I've a bet with a friend regarding the Steelers' history.
He says 99 out of 100 Steeler fans will not know what I mean if I say, "Renfro was in."

True?
Do Steeler fans not know this?

(I'm not trying to start a debate whether he was or wasn't, that's not the intent of this post).

Thanks,
CSC

Steelboy84
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I take it he means when that Oilers receiver "appeared" to have caught that ball against Pittsburgh in the AFC title game one year.

steveironcity
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I take it he means when that Oilers receiver "appeared" to have caught that ball against Pittsburgh in the AFC title game one year.

Yeah. I still laugh when you see the film of Wade Philips in the booth throwing a fit

Steelboy84
11-09-2009, 06:56 PM
They whine as Houston Oilers fans. They whine as Tennessee Oilers fans.

Then they become Titans fans.............................and still whine.

CSC
11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
So, 99 out of 100 Steelers fans will understand the reference?

steveironcity
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Maybe half. Mostly the older ones will. And younger hardcore ones.

steelerchad
11-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Mike Renfro. Vaguely remember it. Nobody remembers the losers.

SteelersMongol
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Well I didn't know. Hey, thanks.

WeegiesWarriors
11-10-2009, 05:45 AM
That was 30 years ago. I'm old enough to remember it, but I would forgive the younger generation if they don't know. The right call was made and so it really sticks more in Oiler lore (if they have a lore) than Steeler lore. When you win 4 Super Bowls in 6 years and are involved in many memorable plays like the Immaculate Reception, some stupid boundary play is less significant. That's basically the pinnacle of Oiler success. To Steeler fans it's just another play along the way. Besides it wasn't a last second play as Oiler fans make it seem.

When you win you forget. The Oilers lost so they are going to focus on that more than we will.

BlastFurnace
11-10-2009, 05:52 AM
He says 99 out of 100 Steeler fans will not know what I mean if I say, "Renfro was in."

True?

Anyone who was a fan in the 70's knows what you are talking about.

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Besides it wasn't a last second play as Oiler fans make it seem.

Nope, and since we won that game 27-13 anyway, it wasn't the difference between winning and losing for them either.

For the record, IMO, Mike Renfro was out.

solardave
11-10-2009, 07:26 AM

I think it depends on their age. That game was a while back. A diehard who has studied Steeler history. 99 out of 100 of them would know. The one remaining would have to put down the bong long enough to remember.:chuckle:

SteelCityMom
11-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I wasn't even born yet when this game was played, but I've heard it referenced to in different articles and documentaries. Can't say I've ever seen the game though, but if I tried hard enough I could probably find it on tenyardtorrents, which I might do since I've heard that Steelers and Oilers games were pretty good back in the day.

Indo
11-10-2009, 09:35 AM
No. He wasn't.

Tell Bum and Madden (and Holmgren) to STFU already

tube517
11-10-2009, 10:00 AM
I remember the play. Tell the guy The OIlers couldn't kick the door down and never will (as the Titans)

Raynestorm
11-10-2009, 10:17 AM

True?

(I'm not trying to start a debate whether he was or wasn't, that's not the intent of this post).

Thanks,
CSC

I have that play on DVD with the America's game videos and he was in.

That being said, we would have won anyway. :tt04:

Steelillini
11-10-2009, 10:20 AM
AFCCG in the late 70's vs Houston. the play happened in the left end zone as it was shown on TV on the far side. Ruled out of bounds and even with replay video was too close to call......

markymarc
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Nope, and since we won that game 27-13 anyway, it wasn't the difference between winning and losing for them either.

That is the biggest complaint I have about the fans whining on that call. The game was decided after that call anyway. The Oiler fans need to let it go. We won.......end of story!

HughC
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM

True?

It's not going to be 99 out of 100, but I'd say overall it would probably be less than half. My guess is that overall maybe one in four, one in five would know what that phrase meant. The majority of the fans under 30 or 40 probably wouldn't know about it. The thing is, as has already been pointed out, that play didn't decide the game (except in the minds of Oiler fans), so there's not that big a reason for younger Steeler fans to know about it anyways.

Godfather
11-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm too young to remember. I've heard of that play but I didn't know the name of the Oilers player.