PDA

View Full Version : Play Calling

madtowndrunkard
11-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Was anyone else wondering why we were not running the ball down Denver's throats much earlier in the game? We beat them pretty good but that play calling was once again horrible.

Early on it was apparent our offensive line was getting push when run blocking. Yet we still insisted on passing the ball play after play. Once again Arians kept our opponent in the game. 1st and goal near the 10 yard line and we come out throwing...it gets picked off ....against a better offense that might have been a back breaker. In that situation there couldn't have been a better time to run the ball down their throats.

Arians play calling is a joke. Yea we won the game because we clearly had better talent and our defense was great. It was a great win and I'm thrilled with the results. I just can't help but think Arians play calling is going to cost us dearly come playoff time.

I thought this game showed more then ever that we need to balance our play calling. Not to mention if we establish the run earlier in games it will free up passing lanes and deep routes. With guys like Wallace and Holmes - IMO that would be deadly. When Ben takes over the play calling we suddenly move the ball. Coincidence? I think not. But late in that game Ben needed to be reeled in and we needed to run more then we did. Yea we racked up nearly 200 yards....it should have been mroe. Many of those yards came on the last drive as well.

Steve Young even mentioned this after the game...if the steelers run more we will not be beaten. Please get out of the way Arians.

MACH1
11-10-2009, 12:36 AM
:yawn:

ambsteeler
11-10-2009, 12:37 AM
i dont know if alot of people will agree with this but i think the play calling was fine

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2009, 12:40 AM
The flow of calling wasnt great in the 1st half, but it happened as the game went on. I thought the fake trap, play action pass to Miller in the 2nd quarter was a beautiful call and well executed fake by Ben. Sure, could have run the ball on the Broncos early, but like it or not, that's not this teams identity any more.

Enjoy the road win!!!

Merchant
11-10-2009, 12:43 AM
We got 375 yards of offense on 'the league's #1 defense'

be happy bro :)

OneForTheToe
11-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Was anyone else wondering why we were not running the ball down Denver's throats much earlier in the game? We beat them pretty good but that play calling was once again horrible.

Early on it was apparent our offensive line was getting push when run blocking. Yet we still insisted on passing the ball play after play. Once again Arians kept our opponent in the game. 1st and goal near the 10 yard line and we come out throwing...it gets picked off ....against a better offense that might have been a back breaker. In that situation there couldn't have been a better time to run the ball down their throats.

Arians play calling is a joke. Yea we won the game because we clearly had better talent and our defense was great. It was a great win and I'm thrilled with the results. I just can't help but think Arians play calling is going to cost us dearly come playoff time.

I thought this game showed more then ever that we need to balance our play calling. Not to mention if we establish the run earlier in games it will free up passing lanes and deep routes. With guys like Wallace and Holmes - IMO that would be deadly. When Ben takes over the play calling we suddenly move the ball. Coincidence? I think not. But late in that game Ben needed to be reeled in and we needed to run more then we did. Yea we racked up nearly 200 yards....it should have been mroe. Many of those yards came on the last drive as well.

So which one of Ben's three touchdowns did you want a different call on?

Also, here is the address to apply for the offensive coordinator position. I'm sure you will do a better job.

Pittsburgh Steelers
3400 South Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
USA

Steve Young even mentioned this after the game...if the steelers run more we will not be beaten. Please get out of the way Arians.

Steve Young is an idiot. He is not a Big Ben fan at all. Also, he was complaining on the TD to Wallace that he never had that much time when he played, all the while ignoring the fact that Ben moved to his right to get himself more time.

SteelC7
11-10-2009, 12:45 AM
r u seriously complaining??? we won u kno that right? and we put up 375 yds on the broncos

pepsyman1
11-10-2009, 12:48 AM
I wasn't thrilled with how we started either and I agree, I thought it was very apparent we were gonna be able to run the ball. (Denver looked VERY prepared for our pass attack at the beginning of the game), but I thought we did a good job with adjusting tempo and ended up with a good mix later in the game. I thought the play calling was better than we've seen in some games because it wasn't as predictable. I think Mendalhall described it well after the game on ESPN, we have a team that is capable of running or passing as the situation or opposing defense warrants. I still don't think that highly of Arians, BUT to his credit, he's allowing Ben to have influence on what plays we are calling and they are making good adjustments as the game goes on.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2009, 12:49 AM
r u seriously complaining??? we won u kno that right? and we put up 375 yds on the broncos

I think the OP is worried we didnt get 375 yards...........the way he wanted. :doh:

GridironWarrior
11-10-2009, 12:51 AM
I thought the slow start had to do with more coming off a bye and the altitude. Play calling seemed fine.

X-Terminator
11-10-2009, 12:56 AM
HA! I knew it was just a matter of time before someone found SOMEthing to bitch about even though the Steelers opened up a can of whoopass on the overrated Doncos.

Thank you, madtowndrunkard, for not disappointing me!

4xSBChamps
11-10-2009, 01:01 AM
I think the OP is worried we didnt get 375 yards...........the way he wanted. :doh:

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even 'I' don't know what it is.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/ColonelFlagg.jpg

I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

SteelCityMom
11-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Good lord....quit whining about the way they won lol. Absolutely pathetic.

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 02:16 AM
I just can't help but think Arians play calling is going to cost us dearly come playoff time.

You mean like it did last year? :rolleyes:

OneForTheToe
11-10-2009, 02:33 AM
You mean like it did last year? :rolleyes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I just can't help but think Arians play calling is going to cost us dearly come playoff time.

I'm sure he means in his fantasy playoffs. :yep::wink:

SteelerRob
11-10-2009, 04:04 AM
A win is a win is a win......

What's the difference between an armchair critic & a jet engine?

At the end of the day the jet engine stops whining..........

:drink:

43Hitman
11-10-2009, 07:49 AM

:blah::blah:Did you copy and paste? I swear I read this post at least 20 times last season...

We kicked their collective asses all over the field last night, enjoy it.

Rick5895
11-10-2009, 07:54 AM
They started slow more because of timing issue coming from a bye than anything that was called. In every game there are plays called I am sure even the coaches wish they had back, overall I thought it was pretty good.
I have not been Arians biggest supporter in the past, but the play calling has improved, would I have liked to run it down the broncos throats when Ben threw the pic, yes, but I thought Arians and Ben did a great job last night.

HometownGal
11-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Oh for God's sake. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This drivel isn't even worth responding to.

tunes4life
11-10-2009, 07:59 AM
:coffee:

SteelMember
11-10-2009, 08:02 AM
:wtf:

SteelStang
11-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Just because we win doesn't mean someone can't be critical. Arians play-calling in the first half was not good. Everytime RM got cranked up, we went right back to the pass. BA is often his own worst enemy in these situations because he loves to throw the ball. Do you guys honestly think the team is not being critical of its' self in some areas???

With that said, I give BA a ton of credit for the adjustments made at halftime. It was clear that they needed to address how to beat that M2M coverage and get guys open while still giving Ben time to throw and he did that. He also realized the counter was money and stayed with it so I as poor a job as I thought he did in the first half, I thought he was awesome in the 2nd half.

solardave
11-10-2009, 08:14 AM

That's all he does is complain. If you look hard enough you can find fault every week.
Kemo missed a block that cost us 6 We still won. Mendy ALMOST fumbled. We still won. The play calling in the first half was a result of trying to figure out their defense which Nolan disguised pretty good. Not to mention the crowd. He bitches about BA's play calling and then says we need to keep Ben in check and run more. Which is it?

No pleasing some people. The fact is we adjusted in the second half and WE WON THE GAME!!!!:banging:

steelerchad
11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Dude. I thought playcalling has been good the last several games. No more run into the line for 2 yards twice. Then throw a predictable 3rd and 7. These off tackle, guard pulling runs are working great. And with the passing game and Ben's mobility, we're giving defenses nightmares. Once we got it clicking the suppossed #1 defense couldn't stop us last night. We wore them out physically.
This team has something it hasn't had in a while.
BALANCE.
Just ask Jaws and Merrill on Edge NFL matchup. Balance is the key and oh yea, we also now have a factor back.

devilsdancefloor
11-10-2009, 08:33 AM

We are 6-2! get over yourself! Try to enjoy watching the steelers instead of bashing them.

4xSBChamps
11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
These off tackle, guard pulling runs are working great.

This team has something it hasn't had in a while.
BALANCE.

was it just me, or were 'em Stillers running right-AT the weak-side tackle, where Mendenhall could easily get to the 'corner', then slash up-field?

It seemed Denver had no idea how to combat that

arge5809
11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I thought the slow start had to do with more coming off a bye and the altitude. Play calling seemed fine.

My thoughts EXACTLY !! :thumbsup:

ANd as the rest have already said... It was a WIN !!!!! :applaudit:

SteelMember
11-10-2009, 08:55 AM
My favorite play was the one where they ran off the field with big smiles on their faces, when the gun sounded... celebrating the win.

That was an awesome run play.

Nadroj 20
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
We are 6-2! get over yourself! Try to enjoy watching the steelers instead of bashing them.

:applaudit: :applaudit:

Yes, play calling was fine, but someone has to try to point something bad out in a win :banging:

Steelers & I
11-10-2009, 11:09 AM
The Steeelrs won the game, no reason to complain. But I also would like to point out that the win is no reason to slobber over Arians either. No complaints but no accolades to the man either.

scsteeler
11-10-2009, 11:24 AM
i dont know if alot of people will agree with this but i think the play calling was fine

I do agree with you. The play calling was fine and when we did not execute well the plan was to use the no huddle as a change of pace. I know a lot of people want to see the no huddle all the time but that would not be a good idea in the long run.

As usual Arian's gets the blame for the offense not moving the ball but no credit when the offense does well.

The_WARDen
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Why does everyone respond to what is obviously a nonsense thread? MadTownDrunkard made the original post (and NONE since) in an attempt to bait everyone and like sheep we all oblige cause now I've posted also.

:doh:

steelreserve
11-10-2009, 11:47 AM
More like the play calling in the first half was OK, but we suffered from a lot of poorly timed f***-ups to end the drive.

As long as the playcalling doesn't involve Parker up the middle, it's fine.

Anyone notice how we just set the franchise scoring record for a five-game span? How many games ago did Parker lose the starting job? Five? Hmm, really must've been holding the offense back.

Yes, I can turn anything into a Parker-bashing thread, even when he doesn't play.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/capt_taco/parker-sucks-sign-1.jpg

BubbyBrister
11-10-2009, 11:48 AM
As usual Arian's gets the blame for the offense not moving the ball but no credit when the offense does well.

Could be because the times they did well, Ben was calling the plays/protections.

However, I do agree. Play calling seemed fine to me as well all game, just wanted to make the above point.

SteelStang
11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
The Steeelrs won the game, no reason to complain. But I also would like to point out that the win is no reason to slobber over Arians either. No complaints but no accolades to the man either.

Well said!! :applaudit:

revefsreleets
11-10-2009, 02:43 PM
So, wait...we are now the #5 offense in the league (YPG), and only a bit of credit should go to Arians, but when we were the #22 offense in the league, a TON of blame was well deserved by Arians?

Really? Even though he hasn't really changed anything from last year to this year other than we throw a tad bit more and the players execute a whole lot better?

Steeldude
11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
the play calling in the 1st half wasn't the greatest, but that changed when they went to some no huddle in the 2nd half.

Steelers & I
11-10-2009, 02:58 PM
So, wait...we are now the #5 offense in the league (YPG), and only a bit of credit should go to Arians, but when we were the #22 offense in the league, a TON of blame was well deserved by Arians?

Really? Even though he hasn't really changed anything from last year to this year other than we throw a tad bit more and the players execute a whole lot better?

Why is it up to the fans to give Arians credit? He didn't get called in for a single interview during the off season. Do you think that the fans may have black balled him with all the other NFL organizations? Obviously no one views him as being all that impressive.

The man just needs to do a moderate job and the offense will succeed. So far he has done that. Is that worthy of high praise? Hell no. It's Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert, Dick LeBeau, the Steeelers defense, and Ben Roethlisberger that deserve high praise. It's the aforementioned people that have created this championship team, not Arians.

revefsreleets
11-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Typical. Wins are created by players, losses by coaches...no credit where credit is due.

Gold. You never fail to deliver.

Steelers & I
11-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Typical. Wins are created by players, losses by coaches...no credit where credit is due.

Gold. You never fail to deliver.

If he's such a freaking winner, then why no interviews? Answer that smart one. Each year the best coordinators are invited to interviews and a lot of them are hired away. What did Arians do last off season? He sat on his couch waiting for a call that never came, that's what he did.

So tell us again how great he is because I keep forgetting.

OneForTheToe
11-10-2009, 03:20 PM
More like the play calling in the first half was OK, but we suffered from a lot of poorly timed f***-ups to end the drive.

As long as the playcalling doesn't involve Parker up the middle, it's fine.

Anyone notice how we just set the franchise scoring record for a five-game span? How many games ago did Parker lose the starting job? Five? Hmm, really must've been holding the offense back.

Yes, I can turn anything into a Parker-bashing thread, even when he doesn't play.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/capt_taco/parker-sucks-sign-1.jpg

For the record, the Swine Flu epidemic has recessed slightly since Willie was demoted. :wink02:
:flap:

stillerfan69
11-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I'll take the slow start with a great finish any day.:tt03:

With these great recievers why not throw the ball.

I've always believed the passing game sets up the running game.:thumbsup:

Remember the Broncos had a hot first half then look like crap the second half.:rofl:

steelreserve
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
For the record, the Swine Flu epidemic has recessed slightly since Willie was demoted. :wink02:
:flap:

I haven't heard much talk about global warming since we benched his ass either, not to mention the stock market's up about 20 percent.

GodofGridiron
11-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Im really really loving this kid Mendy...i like his running style although he makes me nervous the way he carries the rock in traffic...hes got nice balance, drives his legs and wont go down with first contact like Willie does. He doesnt have the higher end acceleration that Old Willie did but he has enough to get beyond the first wave and do damage.

Great compliment to this offense.

Kaeg
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I think Steve Young said (And I'm paraphrasing.) "if we run for 155 yards every game, we would not lose a single game." Can anyone back me up here?
So if this is true, clearly, Arians is screwing up for not having Mendy run for 155 a game. How can he not do this if it's obviously the key to winning? I know if I were OC, I would order him to run for 155 every game.

HometownGal
11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
:banging: :banging: :banging:

http://www.timewarptoys.com/mortimer.jpg