PDA

View Full Version : Hmm.. What happened to the 'world's best defense'??? LOL

Merchant
11-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Hahaha.. I love looking at these stats..

Total Defense:

1. Denver
2. Giants
3. Jets
4. Green Bay
5. Washington
6. Pittsburgh

LOL come on now. Is there really any doubt who the best defense in the league is? :tt03:

SteelerEmpire
11-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Dats wat I'm sayin...... Ha Ha

Merchant
11-10-2009, 12:52 AM
What I'm most impressed with is the run defense. Everyone seemed to wonder how the loss of Aaron Smith would affect it, and how do they respond? 26 rushing yards by denver tonight was it? I LOVE ITTT :D

toughsticks87
11-10-2009, 12:55 AM
What I'm most impressed with is the run defense. Everyone seemed to wonder how the loss of Aaron Smith would affect it, and how do they respond? 26 rushing yards by denver tonight was it? I LOVE ITTT :D

:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Amazing overall performance. That's everyone stepping up. Let's celebrate tonight, but we need to work the hardest we have all season for the Bungles. It'll be a tough game, but it is most certainly winnable.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Denver's defense played OK, but I could not figure out how their front 7 made of rejects from other teams was shutting teams down............I guess Mendenhall for 155 yards rushing kind of answered that. :rofl:

VegasStlrFan
11-10-2009, 01:42 AM
That top 5 just looks wrong, no way the end of the season looks remotely like that.

Petesburgh66
11-10-2009, 01:49 AM
And after tonight's game:

1. New York Giants 272.3
2. New York Jets 273.4
3. Denver Broncos 280.2
4. Green Bay Packers 282.9
5. Pittsburgh Steelers 284.9

Merchant
11-10-2009, 10:14 AM
The packers at #4 is the on that bothers me the most. 38 points allowed to the Buccanneers?? come on now.

And 38 points allowed the previous week too to the vikings.

steelpride12
11-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Well the Bronco's D played like # 1 the whole first half allowing no offensive points to the Steelers and around 50 total yards, but that second half they just got torched on almost ever play in the run game and the pass game. We still have the #1 ranked rush defense and that shows each and every game.

X-Terminator
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM
They were last seen on I-76 headed to Wyoming to hide their faces in shame after that beating they took in the 2nd half last night. (yes, there is another I-76 in Colorado).

HometownGal
11-10-2009, 10:24 AM
They were last seen on I-76 headed to Wyoming to hide their faces in shame after that beating they took in the 2nd half last night. (yes, there is another I-76 in Colorado).

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

As I've said in another thread - earth finally called them to come back down. They are a good team, but they're far from the great team the talking heads were anointing them as prior to last night's game.

Angus Burgher
11-10-2009, 10:24 AM
That list is more proof that the Steelers are one of the most balance teams in the league. Stong on defense and offense. Because...

NYG - lost 4 straight
NYJ - alternated wins and losses and are at 4-4
Denver - lost 2 straight
Green Bay - Lost 2 straight and 4 altogether... including 2 to a division rival and 1 to a previously winless team

Pittsburgh - won 5 straight. Yes, they also had back to back losses, but we were missing our best defensive player. Now he's back... teams everywhere had better watch out.

madtowndrunkard
11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
IMO the stat all defenses should be rated on is scoring...not yards. Same goes for the offense. I don't ever recall losing or winning a game based on yardage.

Looking at scoring - the top defenses make a little more sense. There is no way GB is a top 5 defense.

Here's the top 10 defenses in scoring:

Colts
Pats
Broncos
Jets
Bengals
Steelers
Cowbows
Eagles
Ravens
Redskins

Take away the kick returns, INT returns, and fumble returns and your top five defenses are:

Jets
Steelers
Patriots
Colts
Broncos

Makes a little more sense if you ask me.

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
IMO the stat all defenses should be rated on is scoring...not yards. Same goes for the offense. I don't ever recall losing or winning a game based on yardage.

I agree. Yardage stats are for Fantasy Football players.

The_WARDen
11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
The packers at #4 is the on that bothers me the most. 38 points allowed to the Buccanneers?? come on now.

And 38 points allowed the previous week too to the vikings.

Points are irrelevant....it's yards somehow.

??? :noidea:

madtowndrunkard
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Looking at the scoring rankings on defense and offense...(regardless of wins/losses) I think the top (elite) teams in the NFL right now are:

#1 Colts
#2 Steelers
#3 Saints
#4 Vikings
#4 Bengals
#4 Patriots

I then see a big drop off to teams like:

Broncos
Cowboys
Cardinals
Falcons
Eagles
Ravens
Texans

IMO there are currently 6 teams in the NFL that are legit SB contenders. That might (and probably will) change later in the season but above are the top rankings in my mind.

Before anyone asks.....How can I rank the steelers ahead of the Saints? defense..... the Saints defense is tied for 16 in the league in scoring. Now look at the offenses they have played....(Lions, Eagles, Bills, Jets, Giants, Dolphins, Falcons, and Panthers) I think we'd have little to no trouble scoring on the Saints. The Saints will likely put up points on us as well...but I give the slight edge to the steelers.

I think the Vikings, Bengals, and Patriots are all equal at the moment. There is no compelling reason to say one is better then the other. How ever you rank them I think we are looking at 6 elite teams in the league right now. All of which could win a SB this year.

Merchant
11-10-2009, 12:33 PM
The one thing you gotta be able to do in my opinion to be considered an elite team is to win ANYWHERE, ANYTIME

Now.. if I imagine the Saints coming into Heinz field in late december.. all I can picture is the Steelers blowing them and their pretty little finesse offense and meh defense out of the water.

markymarc
11-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Watch how we continue to climb up that list now that Troy is getting very close to 100%.

Dino 6 Rings
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
woah...I thought the Ravens were the best defense in the history of the NFL???

:chuckle:

Angus Burgher
11-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah man Future Hall of Famer Ray Lewis is the greatest linebacker of all time! He's so great he's even had the "Future Hall of Famer" prefix legally added onto his name! He's the greatest because unlike other linebackers, he jumps around like a jackass and does a dance! Plus he's killed people off the field too! Other defenders are just posers! Purple is the most masculine color in the world!

AllD
11-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Total Defense:

1. Denver
2. Giants
3. Jets
4. Green Bay
5. Washington
6. Pittsburgh

LOL come on now. Is there really any doubt who the best defense in the league is? :tt03:

It's the same principle that the US government uses to measure the economy and inflation.

OneForTheToe
11-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Total Defense:

1. Denver
2. Giants
3. Jets
4. Green Bay
5. Washington
6. Pittsburgh

52% of all stats are completely bogus. 74% of one eyed Mormon Pirates know that.

SteelersMomma
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
denver wont be there for very long. Welcome to their mid season meltdown that they have every year! I don't even forsee them making the playoffs because of their every year routine.

stillerfan69
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
With Polamalu back the Steelers defense is back to 2008 forum. :tt02:

Who cares how many yards a defense gives up as long as it stops opposing offenses at the 30-35 yard line.

steelreserve
11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Denver never had a good defense. They had a lucky defense. So that explains that.