PDA

View Full Version : When will Limas Sweed contribute

dpc13
11-10-2009, 10:43 AM
in a positive yardage play ? He is a real liability , even on special teams. Just you readers thoughts please.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
My thoughts are the real liability is posters that ask questions about the #4 WR after a 28-10 victory. :yawn:

or, those that think they playcalling wasnt that great after a 355yard offensive output.

Shoes
11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
in a positive yardage play ? He is a real liability , even on special teams. Just you readers thoughts please.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/Flushing_toilet-1.png

enjoy the WIN!

steveironcity
11-10-2009, 10:47 AM

The only positive contribution he has made is the contribution the the Pension Fund. Actually, I feel bad for him. He can obviously catch it, he wouldnt have made it this far if he could'nt. But maybe he cant stand the pressures of pro football?

madtowndrunkard
11-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Sweed needs a change of scenery. Everyone has seen his potential. I think he can be a solid or even a good WR in the NFL.

He dropped a few passes that should have been caught and now I think his confidence is shot.

His #1 issue now is the fact that he's got 3 elite WR's ahead of him. He has almost no chance of getting on the field unless of course an injury happens. Even then I think his playing time will be sparse. If I'm Sweed I ask to be cut this offseason. Maybe a trade can happen but I doubt the steelers would get fair compensation for him.

If I'm the steelers I push him hard in the offseason to get better. I keep him till his contract runs out. If he wants to be an NFL WR then he'll need to prove him self...so why not make him do it with us? Odds are one of our WR's is going to miss some games this season or next. If Sweed can improve and get his confidence back I think he'd be a great #4 WR for us. Depth is very important. No sense on just giving him away...unless of course he's so bad that he doesn't deserve a roster spot. Next off season will tell us what we need to know. I'm sure the FO will bring in a couple WRs to compete.

I just think Sweed's only chance to contribute will be with another team.

BlastFurnace
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
The only positive contribution he has made is the contribution the the Pension Fund. Actually, I feel bad for him. He can obviously catch it, he wouldnt have made it this far if he could'nt. But maybe he cant stand the pressures of pro football?

He's a project at this point and a relatively inexpensive project at that. We need to keep investing time in him.

My buddy who is a Texas fan told me that Sweed had the same problems at UT his first 2 years there as well and then it just clicked his junior year.

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
We gave Reid two full seasons and a TC before cutting ties, I think we should give Sweed at least that long to get it together.

dpc13
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Hopefully all these people that luv to just savor the "win" get their head outta the sand and realize mistakes are made on "draft day ! Cut the losses early with Sweed.

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Hopefully all these people that luv to just savor the "win" get their head outta the sand and realize mistakes are made on "draft day ! Cut the losses early with Sweed.

Were you saying that about Troy after his less-than-impressive rookie year?

SteelGhost
11-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Come on dpc13, Steelers WON the game, with or without Limas :noidea: just enjoy the win :tt:

Nadroj 20
11-10-2009, 11:09 AM

:blah: :blah: :blah:

People who savior the win get their head out of the sand.....:crying01:

Mistakes are made on draft day yes (not declaring sweed a mistake yet) BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR STEAL MIKE WALLACE?

We dont need sweed to contribute right now so what is the hurry?

Holmes Ward and Wallace are our three WR's and then we split out Miller or use 2 tight ends.....Unless their is an injury sweed can just sit back and relax and that shouldnt bother anyone when our WR production is FINE

arge5809
11-10-2009, 11:27 AM
My thoughts are the real liability is posters that ask questions about the #4 WR after a 28-10 victory. :yawn:

or, those that think they playcalling wasnt that great after a 355yard offensive output.

FIre/cut Sweed /Big Ben /BA./ Mendy/ FWP /Tomlin posts are definitely getting to be old!! Especially after a BIG win!!!

:doh:

:tt03: :tt04: :tt: :helmet: :tt02:

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 11:29 AM
FIre/cut Sweed /Big Ben /BA./ Mendy/ FWP /Tomlin posts are definitely getting to be old!! Especially after a BIG win!!!

:doh:

:tt03: :tt04: :tt: :helmet: :tt02:

I can understand folks' frustration with Sweed, but IMO, we need to give him a bit longer.

Nadroj 20
11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I can understand folks' frustration with Sweed, but IMO, we need to give him a bit longer.

I understand this to but, the title of the thread is when will limas sweed contribute?

And the fact is RIGHT NOT we dont need him to.... we are currently more then good at WR. :thumbsup:

I would love to see him be able to step up and be a good wideout if an injury happens, thats why i hope he improves and im still willing to give him a bit longer as you said.

The_WARDen
11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
:blah: :blah: :blah:

People who savior the win get their head out of the sand.....:crying01:

Mistakes are made on draft day yes (not declaring sweed a mistake yet) BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR STEAL MIKE WALLACE?

We dont need sweed to contribute right now so what is the hurry?

Holmes Ward and Wallace are our three WR's and then we split out Miller or use 2 tight ends.....Unless their is an injury sweed can just sit back and relax and that shouldnt bother anyone when our WR production is FINE

I actually agree...right now, it appears that Sweed is a bust and doesn't deserve playing time.

However, the Steelers can afford to be patient with him as they don't need him to contribute right now.

Might as well wait and see if he is salvagable.

cubanstogie
11-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Hopefully after we clinch the division we can give him a start and maybe give him some confidence. Tomlin and the coaching staff seem to have great patience. Last night was a prime example, we appeared to be dominated most of first half. The 3rd down conversions were very frustrating, but in the end it was typical bend don't break D and our Offense came around. I think the fans were the only ones really frustrated. Coaching staff made adjustments and we dominated them. I think they are using the same logic with Sweed, they know he is fragile now and is a project. We do have time since Wallace is huge surprise. Coaches still consider it the first half with Sweed IMO.

Shoes
11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe ....just maybe Tomlin and the coaching staff know more the we do :chuckle:

The_WARDen
11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Maybe ....just maybe Tomlin and the coaching staff know more the we do :chuckle:

You talking crazy now!

steelreserve
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Are you kidding? No one could run behind that line!

Steelers fans are just obsessed with big backs!

Even Bettis didn't gain 4 yards on EVERY play.

They're the professionals, so I'll just trust that the fornt office knows what they're doing!

... wait. sorry, wrong thread.

GBMelBlount
11-10-2009, 12:00 PM

I agree, perhaps he just needs time to adjust to his better vision.........:chuckle:

Seriously, I really feel Sweed has good potential BUT I can honestly see why he doesn't get the playing time as Wallace has established himself as a VERY solid #3 receiver right out of the blocks.....I simply feel more comfortable with Wallace....

The onus falls on Sweed to show his abilities with the limited playing time he now receives imo. It is what it is.....

WindyCitySteelerFan
11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Never put Sweed in a big game like last night, all he did was screw things up, and drop balls.

Put him on the practice squad until he can catch the ball.

revefsreleets
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Wait a second...I thought I was the one who was the lemming, never said bad things about the team, never questioned the FO's judgment, and always just said "The coaches know best".

So how can I be questioning future HOFer Limas Sweed's ability (or obvious lack thereof) and still be a homer fool who lacks the intellect to question the FO?

Actually, to answer the threads question, Sweed DID contribute last night. When our real WR who can, you now, catch the ball and stuff, was winded from the altitude, Sweed went out there and ran around and acted like he was a WR, and was convincing enough for the Bronco's to actually put a DB on him. They even threw a pass at him (yes, I know, it was a bad pass, but it still hit his hands) and he, like always, dropped it.

But at least he was in pads. At least he played a few downs. He's one step closer now to his gold jacket and (cough cough)bust in Canton...

Angus Burgher
11-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I think he just needs to change his number. I swear, if there is an unlucky number in Pittsburgh, it's 14.

kirklandrules
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I think the original intent of this post is an honest question. When will Limas Sweed contribute? However, some folks seem to continuously bash the guy. This makes no sense at all. Look, if Sweed doesn't have a wrist injury his senior year, he's a 1st round pick. I'm not saying we got a steal by getting him in the 2nd round, although I felt that way when we drafted him (not knowing he had confidence issues). Only the very moronic posters feeling he's talentless. He does a great job getting open, he can beat coverage deep, he has thrown some blocks that Hines can appreciate and he obviously wants to produce. He's had two very big drops that have fans turning on him. I saw 3 drops this weekend by good receivers on other teams that were very similar to Sweed's Cincy drop ... should they be cut from their teams? Should Holmes be cut because he leads the team in drops? Additionally, how much of a drop was the pass against Denver? You're asking a 6"5' 230lbs receiver trying to catch a pass at his feet ... Plexiglass wasn't too good at picking those up either. Additionally, what if Ben gave up on Kemo when he got blindsided and lost that fumble last night? Hell, Ben could have given up on his entire O-line last year ... who would blame him when he was getting his jibblets handed to him every other passing play. The Great Ben has shown us it pays off when you stick with someone until they find their groove. You give up on players when they give up on themselves, lost heart, or finally can no longer produce. You don't quit on a guy that gives it his all and just needs to finally get over that hump.

It's in the best interest of this team to see this kid reach his fullest potential and not be run out of town like some talentless loser. I've stated in prior threads that it would be awesome if Sweed begins to hit his stride and starts catching big play passes. Could you imagine if we went into the playoffs with the three excellent receivers we have and a Limas Sweed that catches the balls thrown his way (behind safeties and in stride for the goal-line)? Add in Miller and I have to ask: Who the hell could defend against that passing threat? Because nobody has 4 good cover DBs and a safety to covere Miller.

So back to the original post question: When will Limas Sweed contribute? I hope this weekend. :thumbsup:

Angus Burgher
11-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, he might very well contribute this weekend. He's dressing for the game now at least and getting back on the field... I have no doubt that he'd like to redeem himself against Cincy. I guess we'll see.

As for the drop last night, I agree, it was a tough catch to make... it was just really disappointing at the time since it was on 3rd down and had he caught it, it would have been a 1st down.

revefsreleets
11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I SAID he contributed. Wallace, a real NFL WR was winded. Sweed went out there and took some snaps for him.

That's 100,000X better than just sitting on the bench.

Godfather
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
The Steelers have some very easy opponents after Sunday. Best thing is to get a big lead, then put Limas out there when it doesn't count so he can make some catches and build his confidence.

That said, madtown is right--he has three elite receivers ahead of him and that's going to keep him from ever being a major factor in Pittsburgh.

AllD
11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Sweed dropped another and stalled a drive. BB let him know that he needs to make those catches. Wallace dropped a couple too until he got in rhythm, but 60 Minutes already has a great track record wheras Sweed has only contributed a hard block. If he can't catch, maybe he can defend. The wrist injury may have done more damage physically and emotionally than previously known.