PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame- Cowher

steelerchad
11-10-2009, 11:39 AM
There was some HOF talk on here last week about current Steelers possibility of making it. Troy, Ben, and Hines were the top picks to make it.
Bettis was also a lock by most people's opinion to get in.

Does Cowher make it?
I think his overall win % is one of the best ever. He basically won 2/3rds of his games during his career, which is phenominal. He had a bad rap for not winning the big game, but he finally did get his ring. And his overall playoff record ended up not being as bad because of that 4 game run in 05. I think he was 1 game over .500. Considering playoff teams are the best teams, .500 or better is good.

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
He'll get in eventually based on his current numbers, but unfortunately, he "only" won one SB and because of that, he will have to wait a while, assuming he doesn't add to that total at some point. Tom Flores got two with the Raiders in the early '80s, and I've never heard him referred to as a great coach.

BlastFurnace
11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Bill will get in. He was very successful as a HC for a high profile team for many years. Not to mention, his early 90's Steelers teams changed the way that many teams play defense now with all the zone bilitzes. His personality and "growing" legend as a desired HC won't hurt him either. He's not a first ballot guy, but he will get in.

steelreserve
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I love the guy, but I honestly don't see anything that distinguishes him from a couple dozen other successful coaches that didn't make it to the Hall. Winning one championship doesn't guarantee anything, and while coaching for 15 years with one team is impressive by today's standards, it isn't exactly unheard of in the history of the league.

They seem to reserve the HOF for coaches who did something that made an overall contribution to the game, and while Cowher was a good coach, I don't know if that counts by itself.