PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall 11th

steelerchad
11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
In total rushing yards he's 11th overall and 5th in the AFC.
He only has 100 carries so far and has basically done this playing significantly in only 5 games.

His average yards per carry is 2nd only to Chris Johnson with any back over 80 carries, or 10 per game. Johnson is a speed demon with break away speed.

I think I saw a little Franco in him last night, stepping out of bounds on the big gainer before taking the hit. Probably the right thing to do since the game was in hand, but I would have liked to see him lower the shoulder on someone like AP.

Indo
11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
He only has 100 carries so far and has basically done this playing significantly in only 5 games.

His average yards per carry is 2nd only to Chris Johnson with any back over 80 carries, or 10 per game. Johnson is a speed demon with break away speed.

I think I saw a little Franco in him last night, stepping out of bounds on the big gainer before taking the hit. Probably the right thing to do since the game was in hand, but I would have liked to see him lower the shoulder on someone like AP.

Actually I agree with the stepping out of bounds at that particular point in the game. I can see grinding it out for every available inch when the game is close. But when the game is in hand there's just not that much to be gained by lowering the shoulder to pick up a yard (or two); it just doesn't add much and the potential for injury is always real---not that I am suggesting that an RB should avoid contact because of a potential injury. Rather, I am saying that if the game is on the line, Pound the Rock. If it is in hand, gaining a yard or so just doesn't matter...

Merchant
11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I think he went out of bounds because he didnt wanna risk fumbling it LOL

madtowndrunkard
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
If it helps him stay fresh come playoff time I have no issue with it.

A couple of times he could have lowered his shoulder and stayed in bounds....on one carry I actually think he probably would have scored. But he by no means hurt us by not taking the hits. Last thing we want is him injured.

I also love the fact that we are actually allowing Parker to get healthy. We'll likely need him late in the season and during the playoffs.

We are winning while using back ups. Thats huge because the healthiest team come playoff time is usually the team to win it all. Also our back ups get experience which should help them later.

Vincent
11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
In as much as I want Mendy here in good health for a decade, I don't want to see him taking unnecessary risks. He gets and delivers his share of contact. There's nothing much to be gained by lowering the shoulder after he's peeled off 20 yards. Save it for another play.

Also, when he connects on a block, he can be devastating (San Diego). Would like to see him get a clean shot at McStabbin.

We are starting to see what MT has understated to this point. The kid is something. He was equally impressive with the stupid questions on ESPN post game. Very composed and fluid.

Sharkissle29
11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
i was a little upset he didnt lower his shoulder, but im over it...guess it is a safe bet, not really steelers football though

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-10-2009, 12:31 PM

He is averaging just over 107 yards a game "as a starter", which also puts him at #2 overall in that category....again, just behind Chris Johnson.

That ,and the 5.7 yards a carry , is INCREDIBLE! I would say, in most discussions about top 5 RB's, Mendenhall wouldnt be mentioned. Thats just fine with me. I hope everyone overlooks the elite contribution he is making for the Steelers. As far as him stepping out of bounds on that play....I think common wisdom is for him to stay in bounds, not for the yardage but to keep the clock running.
:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

BlastFurnace
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Any time he goes for 155 and we are winning, I don't care if he goes out of bounds. It's a non-issue.

Youngstown Steeler
11-10-2009, 12:54 PM
He is averaging just over 107 yards a game "as a starter", which also puts him at #2 overall in that category....again, just behind Chris Johnson.

That ,and the 5.7 yards a carry , is INCREDIBLE! I would say, in most discussions about top 5 RB's, Mendenhall wouldnt be mentioned. Thats just fine with me. I hope everyone overlooks the elite contribution he is making for the Steelers. As far as him stepping out of bounds on that play....I think common wisdom is for him to stay in bounds, not for the yardage but to keep the clock running.
:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

The clock does continue to run if a player goes out of bounds unless there's 2 minutes or less left in the half/game. So him running out of bounds was a smart play.

Sharkissle29
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Will the Mendenhall haters please eat your crow now....thanks

revefsreleets
11-10-2009, 01:01 PM
(sarcasm smiley) Too bad he has no glide, no vision, no suddenness. Mendy is a bust.

steelreserve
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
The clock does continue to run if a player goes out of bounds unless there's 2 minutes or less left in the half/game. So him running out of bounds was a smart play.

It's actually 5 minutes, but in this case, he went out with like 5:10 left, so same rule applies.

In either case, I was mostly just happy he got the first down. You do that, and staying in bounds would be a nice bonus, but basically an afterthought.

atlsteelers
11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
i am glad the kid decided to show up. I am excited to see the running game showing signs of domination. That last drive of the game when denver knew we were going to run and could do nothing to stop us was my favorite part of the game.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-10-2009, 01:20 PM

Hmmmmmm.

If a player carries the ball out of bounds on a scrimmage play, the game clock is stopped until the ball is spotted for the next down. The Referee then winds the clock. Exception: the clock is not restarted in the last two minutes of the second quarter nor the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. In those instances the clock starts with the snap.

GeneralRobinson
11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
He was equally impressive with the stupid questions on ESPN post game. Very composed and fluid.

Is there a online video of his postgame interview?

GridironWarrior
11-10-2009, 02:11 PM
From the one interview I saw after the SD game he’s very soft spoken and well spoken it seems. He seems pretty intelligent as well. I like the kid a lot. Always have and knew he wouldn’t be a bust. He has that special look to him. Dude’s got some huge arms!

Merchant
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Is there a online video of his postgame interview?

http://steelers.com/multimedia/MediaCenter/

all the post game player interviews are there ^

BubbyBrister
11-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Hmmmmmm.

If a player carries the ball out of bounds on a scrimmage play, the game clock is stopped until the ball is spotted for the next down. The Referee then winds the clock. Exception: the clock is not restarted in the last two minutes of the second quarter nor the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. In those instances the clock starts with the snap.

I never knew this.

McNabb probably doesn't either though, so I don't feel too bad.

steelerchad
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Youngstown Steeler;698357]The clock does continue to run if a player goes out of bounds unless there's 2 minutes or less left in the half/game. So him running out of bounds was a smart play.[/QUOTE

This kid looks like the real deal. I know SD's run D was porous, but Denver's was suppossed to be good and he shredded them. He ripped off 6-8 yards all night long. I'm not sure, but I think he had more 4+ yard runs than 4- yard runs, which is unbelievable.

Update: Of his 22 carries, 12 were for 4 or more yards. Only 4 carries were less than 3 yards, so the line was getting push all night.

AllD
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
One of only a handful to gain 150 yards against the Broncos in history. Stats are great for FF and those who need them to fall back onto because they didn't win the championship.