PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Carter; " The quarterback looked right at him, so I bit."

mesaSteeler
11-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Steelers Carter; " The quarterback looked right at him, so I bit."
November 10, 9:53 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m11d10-Steelers-Carter--The-quarterback-looked-right-at-him-so-I-bit

The big mystery surrounding the Steelers last week, if you would call it that, was whether or not safety Ryan Clark would play against the Broncos.

Clark who has a blood disorder from the sickle cell trait traveled with the team and was on the sidelines, but did not start.

Instead that duty went to Tyrone Carter. All Carter did in Clark's place was intercept two balls taking one back for a touchdown.

"Ty is a veteran player. He did a really nice job,"Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said. "He was in the right place at the right time. Usually when plays like that occur itís a product of a lot of peopleís work but he was opportunistic."

Carter seemed to take offense to Tomlin's words of wisdom about Denver's defense being better during the week to heed. He said creating an opportunity to win the ballgame was what he was looking for when he read Orton and took the ball in for six.

"We always emphasize making big plays to put our offense in good positions," Carter said. " If you score, great, but you want to create turnovers in order to put your offense in good field position."

His first interception of Orton seemed to be the spark the Steelers needed heading into half, because up to that point it was a nip-tuck game.

"All I know from film is that they like to bring their backs out of the backfield," Carter said. "And the quarterback looked right at him, so I bit."

Orton said he made the throw because the Steelers were once again sending a blitz package at him.

"They ran a blitz where the nose tackle kind of peeled off and relayed to the halfback," Orton said. " As I was getting ready to throw it, the nose tackle kind of bumped (RB) Knowshon (Moreno) off the route, and it led to the pick.Ē

Then to add insult to injury for the Broncos, Carter, had his second interception of the night, the third of Orton in the game, to close things out in the fourth quarter. It marked Carter's fourth interception in his last three starts and left Denver pondering why for a second consecutive game they couldn't find the endzone.

Carter filled in for Troy Polamalu when he was out earlier in the year. When Clark was asked of his play in his absence, the always humorous safety had this to say.

"I might be like Wally Pipp. I better get back fast so that I donít lose my spot.Ē Carter said. ďHeís a friend and a teammate and he did an awesome job tonight. Iím proud of him."

Carter seemed more interesting in just helping his team find ways to win and close out games.

"I just like the opportunity to go out there and show my teammates they can count on me," Carter said. "I wanted my teammates to know that if Ryan is not out there, they can still count on me to make plays