PDA

View Full Version : Was Charlie Batch the reason we won the SB?

madtowndrunkard
11-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Anyone see this video?......

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4641995&categoryid=2378529

I'm not sure how old it is, but it's on ESPN's home page.

Charlie Batch sat Ben down prior to the 2008 season and basically told him what his teammates thought of him....and it wasn't good. I always got the impression Ben was not liked by his teammates....I think this video confirms that. Batch apparently told Ben some things that were a bit of a wake up call for Ben. Ben seemed to have taken what he said to heart and coincidentally Ben had the best year of his career.

I wonder how good Ben would have been with out Batch doing that?

I do hope Ben is not trying too hard to be a leader. You can't fake or pretend to be a leader. You are either one or you aren't. You just look like a douche bag trying to lead when others don't see you as a leader. The fact that Charle Batch had the balls to put Ben in his place tells me this team is closer now then ever. Obviously some apologies were made w/ Ben and his teammates. Something definitely seems different with this team and Ben this year.

I think this maturation process of Ben could mean good things for the steelers down the road.

Angus Burgher
11-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Interesting. I didn't realize that there was a rift between Ben and some of his teammates prior to the 08 season. But I suppose it make sense... he's still relatively young for a QB and it is tough to step into that leadership role. However, it was much more obvious last season that he had become a leader of the team. I think now, he's pretty much become THE leader of the team.

Good for Batch for laying it out for him. Sometimes you need a guy who has been around a bit longer and hasn't had all the glory to tell you how it is.

SteelC7
11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
wow that was a great video, ive noticed that since last year, hes been playing well and leading the offense, he really became a leader after batch talked to him

devilsdancefloor
11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
i dont know how old you are, but most 20 to 26 years olds are a bit immature.There is always exceptions, but for the most part they are self centered. I think before batch said something he was already kinda seeing the light, but there are times you need someone to point out stuff hats off to charlie. I really dont think he is dislike by his team mates at all. There is always going to be the ****y side of ben always that gives him his edge, He can be ****y because he is that good. you do not go 56-22 in the NFL being "ok".

Now a question for you. Do you have anything ever positive to say about the team you root for? There seems to be a lot of negative things you post. Just wondering. her we go steelers here we go!!:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

CanadianSteel
11-11-2009, 12:03 AM
That was a very cool piece... thanks...

madtowndrunkard
11-11-2009, 12:04 AM
i dont know how old you are, but most 20 to 26 years olds are a bit immature.There is always exceptions, but for the most part they are self centered. I think before batch said something he was already kinda seeing the light, but there are times you need someone to point out stuff hats off to charlie. I really dont think he is dislike by his team mates at all. There is always going to be the ****y side of ben always that gives him his edge, He can be ****y because he is that good. you do not go 56-22 in the NFL being "ok".

Now a question for you. Do you have anything ever positive to say about the team you root for? There seems to be a lot of negative things you post. Just wondering. her we go steelers here we go!!:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

What is your deal? Are you Mr. Rogers? Are you a male cheerleader? Or just a fuking douch bag? If you can't handle reading anything remotely critical of the steelers just go to the Steelers NFL site...there you can find all kinds of nice happy thoughts about how wonderful the steelers and every other team is. Then you can hug a Cinci fan and say (in a very gay voice) " HURRAY! HURRAY! No matter who wins this weekend we are both champions in my book....GO Steelers!!"

If you had read other posts I've put on here today, I had both good and critical things to say about the team I root for. I don't tell you what to write or how to cheer on your team - so don't tell me what I should or shouldn't write. freak.

BTW...I think this topic is pretty friggen positive. I merely posted up a video that I thought was pretty cool. It touched on a couple things that IMO were very interesting and ultimately VERY positive for our team and our QB.

SteelCityMom
11-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Well, considering they had already won a SB before Batch had his sitdown with Ben, I don't know if you can say that he's the reason they won the second one.

It sure didn't hurt, and am very thankful that Batch took the approach that he did, and was able to recognize that Ben needed a bit of reeling back in. We're very lucky to have someone like him on the sidelines.

Thanks for posting this, I had just missed it earlier and was hoping to find it online at some point.

madtowndrunkard
11-11-2009, 12:10 AM

BTW Mr. Positive ....most people in their mid to late 20's are not selfish. Selfish people are selfish. Being immature does not mean being an arrogant A-hole.

Where do you get that Ben saw the light before Batch said something to Ben? I'm curious to know how you know that? You don't think Ben was disliked by his teammates? Did you not watch the video? Ben, Farrior, and Batch pretty much confirmed that.

Where have you been the last 3-4 years? The rumors were pretty strong that Ben wasn't the most popular guy on the team. I think this video validates some of that and shows Ben in a positive light after being told some honest "jaw dropping" things by his teammate. Props to Ben for growing up a little bit and being willing to change. .....oh wait were suppose to pretend everything is perfect and happy in steeler land....I forgot.

MACH1
11-11-2009, 12:18 AM
What is your deal? Are you Mr. Rogers? Are you a male cheerleader? Or just a fuking douch bag? If you can't handle reading anything remotely critical of the steelers just go to the Steelers NFL site...there you can find all kinds of nice happy thoughts about how wonderful the steelers and every other team is. Then you can hug a Cinci fan and say (in a very gay voice) " HURRAY! HURRAY! No matter who wins this weekend we are both champions in my book....GO Steelers!!"

If you had read other posts I've put on here today, I had both good and critical things to say about the team I root for. I don't tell you what to write or how to cheer on your team - so don't tell me what I should or shouldn't write. freak.

BTW...I think this topic is pretty friggen positive. I merely posted up a video that I thought was pretty cool. It touched on a couple things that IMO were very interesting and ultimately VERY position for our team and our QB.

Wouldn't be surprised if you were shown the door with that reply and personal attacks.

Way to be classy.

madtowndrunkard
11-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Well, considering they had already won a SB before Batch had his sitdown with Ben, I don't know if you can say that he's the reason they won the second one.

It sure didn't hurt, and am very thankful that Batch took the approach that he did, and was able to recognize that Ben needed a bit of reeling back in. We're very lucky to have someone like him on the sidelines.

Thanks for posting this, I had just missed it earlier and was hoping to find it online at some point.

I am not saying Batch is the reason we won the SB...I did include a question mark after the statement.

But I think it's worth mentioning...and I do think it may have played a very large role in the success of our team last year. I also think maybe that sit down will play a very large role in Ben and our team for years to come.

I think we've all had a moment were someone sat us down and told us something that maybe we didn' t like to hear but needed to hear. Those moments can often be life changing....whether it's in your personal life or professionally. I think that speaks volumes about Charlie Batch as a person and just how tight this team really is. I don't think this is typical of most NFL teams now days. I also don't think many back up QBs would have the balls to do what Charlie did. No one else on our team took the time to sit Ben down and let it all out. Batch did. I think that's pretty cool. I think if Ben truly has learned to be a good teammate and leader this team will be legendary...and so will Ben.

Munnin
11-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Many QBs have pissed away promising careers. Being the big shot and not taking the time with your team mates to let them know they are important to you is one way to limit your career. Sure we may have won another SB with Ben not being the best he could be.... but would anyone disagree that last year the team was very close? How about this year?

I have always felt that had Batch been on a good team things would have looked very different for him. Its nice to see that he is also an excellent team mate. We are lucky to have him.

madtowndrunkard
11-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if you were shown the door with that reply and personal attacks.

Way to be classy.

You provoked it with your condescending and personal jabs that had nothing to do with the topic. More then once today you've tried to devalue what I and others have to say based on not being "positive" enough for you. Did I respond to your posts prior to you provoking me? Nope....If I don't like what someone has to say I either debate it with them respectfully or I ignore. If you want to challenge me and every thing I post go ahead....just expect a response. You keep pushing ...I merely pushed back. Why hijack my posts w/ your personal opinions of me instead of just ignoring my points? or sticking to the topic? You pick a fight and then run to the teacher and point a finger. pathetic

MACH1
11-11-2009, 12:38 AM
You provoked it with your condescending and personal jabs that had nothing to do with the topic. More then once today you've tried to devalue what I and others have to say based on not being "positive" enough for you. Did I respond to your posts prior to you provoking me? Nope....If I don't like what someone has to say I either debate it with them respectively or I ignore. If you want to challenge me and every thing I post go ahead....just expect a response. You keep pushing ...I merely pushed back. Why hijack my posts w/ your personal opinions of me instead of just ignoring my points? or sticking to the topic? You pick a fight and then run to the teacher and point a finger. pathetic

WTF are you talking about? How bout you pull your head out of your a$$ put on a dry diaper and stop crying like a little girl.

Stay classy.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/bcrab/bigfinger.gif

iloveben7
11-11-2009, 01:49 AM
This was a very good interview.

but some of the comments in this thread are why I stayed away from this board for like 7 months

crcsnail
11-11-2009, 02:17 AM
also why i dont post much, iloveben. see gameday threads. i end up putting most people on ignore . do these people really support the steelers.? people have a right to there opinions but it always turns into a slanging match. shame i used to like reading steelers forums . all i can say is what the hell would it be like if the steelers were actually crap?

Steelers & I
11-11-2009, 03:12 AM
WTF are you talking about? How bout you pull your head out of your a$$ put on a dry diaper and stop crying like a little girl.

Stay classy.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/bcrab/bigfinger.gif

LMAO, :rofl: Mach1, you know it was you. :rofl:

Justin Otstott
11-11-2009, 03:50 AM
This was a very good interview.

but some of the comments in this thread are why I stayed away from this board for like 7 months

You and me both, these guys are attacking each other for what? And yea the guy who made this thread seems like he is more interested in bashing the team!! This forum use to never be like this...wow guys.

SteelersMongol
11-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Nice post. I always liked Batch being with us. Chuck's talk with him just proves

"One must be told to get better no matter how wise the person is
One must poke it first for a hole no matter how thin the paper is"

steelwalls
11-11-2009, 06:22 AM
I have to say that is well worth the watch. Batch is coaching material if I ever seen any. Even more to it is watching how Ben has went from a great QB to a great team mate and QB....good post

GBMelBlount
11-11-2009, 07:11 AM

Charlie Batch sat Ben down prior to the 2008 season and basically told him what his teammates thought of him....and it wasn't good. I always got the impression Ben was not liked by his teammates....I think this video confirms that. Batch apparently told Ben some things that were a bit of a wake up call for Ben. Ben seemed to have taken what he said to heart and coincidentally Ben had the best year of his career.

I do hope Ben is not trying too hard to be a leader. You can't fake or pretend to be a leader. You are either one or you aren't. You just look like a douche bag trying to lead when others don't see you as a leader. The fact that Charle Batch had the balls to put Ben in his place tells me this team is closer now then ever. Obviously some apologies were made w/ Ben and his teammates. Something definitely seems different with this team and Ben this year.

I think this maturation process of Ben could mean good things for the steelers down the road.

This does not surprise me at all.

What Charlie did was not easy.

I have felt Ben was a little arrogant and immature and I am pleased to see he is becoming a great quarterback and leader, and perhaps someday, a great man as well.

MadDog20/20

What is your deal? Are you Mr. Rogers? Are you a male cheerleader? Or just a fuking douch bag?

Great post mad drunk. What I find works well is to eat something BEFORE I start doing shots. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
11-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Cool video. Though I'm not a huge fan of Batch as a QB, the guy is pure class and stepping up to Ben to give him the skinny was not only a classy thing to do, but shows the professionalism and deep comradery this team has. :hatsoff::thumbsup:

As far as the personal attacks in this thread go - knock it off, please.

dpc13
11-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Charlie , might well serve the team , later on as QB coach/mentor and be worth his weight in gold(n black) !

stillers4me
11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Charlie , might well serve the team , later on as QB coach/mentor and be worth his weight in gold(n black) !

And that is exactly what I hope for. Guys like Charlie Batch, Hine Ward and James Farrior separate us from other most other teams. They have stepped up both on and off the field and I do believe that has every bit as much to do with us winning last years championship as their play on the field. We are blessed to have them wear the black and gold. :drink:

I mean really, who would you prefer as role model......Charlie Batch or Ochocinco?

Fire Haley
11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
The interview was on espn 360. You have to swing through the target, Ben, swing though bird.

Willie Colon going tubing was the best part.

madtowndrunkard
11-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Ben took a big step last year and that's the reason we won the SB....but this season Ben is a totally different QB. He's in another stratosphere and IMO is definitely in the MVP conversation. He deserved the SB mvp last year....as great a game as Holmes had it was Ben that won that game for us.

I was very happy to hear Batch did sit Ben down. I think that moment will probably go down for Ben as a career changing moment. I'm sure we'll read about it in his book some day.

Unfortunately the MVP award typically goes to the media darling of the year. Most in the media still think Ben is managing games and we're winning w/ defense. In reality he's carried us for the first half. The defense is just now getting into this groove. I can think of 3 legit candidates for MVP and Ben is definitely one of them. (the other two...Manning and Brees)

stillers4me
11-11-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm cool with Ben as superbowl MVP this year. :wink02:

SteelCityMom
11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I am not saying Batch is the reason we won the SB...I did include a question mark after the statement.

Lol, I know you included a question mark, I was just giving my honest opinion on the question. Sure, his sit down with Ben helped a lot, but I'm not going to outright say it's the reason they won the SB. I'm thankful Charlie sat him down and reeled him in though, and I agree, it will help for years to come with him.

revefsreleets
11-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd heard all kinds of rumblings along these lines for a couple years surrounding Ben. It's hard to say with any certainty how much merit rumors and stuff like this deserve, BUT there is usually a kernel of truth behind even the most outlandish statements.

The important thing is that he seems to have the respect of his teammates now, and I'm sure any hard feelings (provided there actually ever were any) are now water under the bridge....

Indo
11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I personally think that this is a great post---as Revs said, we had all heard of some rumblings in the locker room with respect to Ben. I don't know that Batch won the SB, or that we would have lost it if he hadn't talked to Ben, but he sure showed that even a back-up can have incredible insight and Leadership qualities. He got Ben to see the error of his ways and has apparently fixed the problem.

I also agree with the post that says that he (Batch) would be a good coach...he has some of the qualities that we all see in Tomlin

Oh, and seeing Kemo jump onto the wave-rider was Priceless!

BlastFurnace
11-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Great Post!

It's good to see how the players police themselves.

KeiselPower99
11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Best part of that clip was Kemoeatu is a life jacket.

scsteeler
11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
wow that was a great video, ive noticed that since last year, hes been playing well and leading the offense, he really became a leader after batch talked to him

Yes and when the guys you play around like you and want to play hard for you they will go that extra mile. It shows on the field when they play.

Glad Ben listened and learned.

tony hipchest
11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Oh, and seeing Kemo jump onto the wave-rider was Priceless!:chuckle: i thought that sucker was gonna pop.

AllD
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Kemo and Colon going tubing, now that is a sight.

HometownGal
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Kemo and Colon going tubing, now that is a sight.

Thank God they were tubing in a lake and not the ocean - they might have gotten "pooned". :chuckle:

rick723
11-11-2009, 07:26 PM

My bad anyone who read my answer before the edit, good vid.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I didn't hear them say that the team didn't like Ben, more that he needed to step up and be a leader. Anyways, I have always seen Ben as a very humble guy and deserving of all his accolades. I mean, in 2006, he took the blame for every loss. Then, when he made the Pro Bowl in 2007, he took his o-line with him. So I don't see any change. Personally, matters on the field mean a lot more to me.

tube517
11-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I personally think that this is a great post---as Revs said, we had all heard of some rumblings in the locker room with respect to Ben. I don't know that Batch won the SB, or that we would have lost it if he hadn't talked to Ben, but he sure showed that even a back-up can have incredible insight and Leadership qualities. He got Ben to see the error of his ways and has apparently fixed the problem.

I also agree with the post that says that he (Batch) would be a good coach...he has some of the qualities that we all see in Tomlin

Oh, and seeing Kemo jump onto the wave-rider was Priceless!

Looking at Kemo sitting on the couch was even more priceless.

beSteelmyheart
11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Anyone can tell that the line is doing better this year & Ben's efforts probably play a part in that. I like Charlie Batch, he seems like one of those guys who possess a quiet kind of strength & hope that he stays with the Steelers in some way or another for years to come. (i'll bet that he does)

SteelersMongol
11-11-2009, 09:13 PM
If Ben & Keisel R into shooting stuff & maybe hunting, I think I could offer a whole lot IF they ever come 2 this country. :wink02: Talk about wishful thinking. (sigh).

Kaeg
11-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Very cool and worth watching. Although I didn't get the impression that they didn't get along. Just that they weren't close. Didn't hang out in their down time. Now it appears they do, and I can understand how that would help tremendously. It's got to promote a closeness or bonding that manifests on the field.

fansince'76
11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Ben took a big step last year and that's the reason we won the SB....but this season Ben is a totally different QB. He's in another stratosphere and IMO is definitely in the MVP conversation. He deserved the SB mvp last year....as great a game as Holmes had it was Ben that won that game for us.

I was very happy to hear Batch did sit Ben down. I think that moment will probably go down for Ben as a career changing moment. I'm sure we'll read about it in his book some day.

Agreed - there is a marked difference in Ben's maturity level compared to, say, 2006 or 2007. He's really grown up a lot and I believe he really "gets it" now. I don't think his leadership is forced - he really stands behind his teammates and they reciprocate genuinely.

mesaSteeler
11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Steelers react to Roethlisberger's 'E:60' talk
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_652772.html
By Mark Kaboly, Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, November 12, 2009

News that franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger called himself a bad teammate early in his career caught Steelers players off-guard Wednesday.

Roethlisberger made the admission one night earlier during a national television interview on ESPN's primetime news program, "E:60."

"That surprises me," said defensive lineman Brett Keisel, who is Roethlisberger's closest friend on the team. "That doesn't sound like something he would say."

In a 10-minute interview Tuesday that also focused on pending sexual assault allegations against Roethlisberger, the Steelers' quarterback talked about the relationships he has forged with his teammates since entering the NFL in 2004.

"I wasn't a good leader early on and I wasn't the best teammate I could've been the first couple of years," Roethlisberger said. "I was invincible; I was Superman. I was probably a little too confident, a little too ****y at times."

During his first couple of years in the NFL, it wasn't uncommon for Roethlisberger to isolate himself from people, teammates included. It was common practice during meals at training camp for Roethlisberger to either sit at a table by himself or take his food back to his dorm room.

Even while throwing a single-season franchise-record 32 touchdown passes in 2007, Roethlisberger was snubbed for the team MVP award, with the honor going to first-year starting linebacker James Harrison.

Keisel, though, never got the impression that Roethlisberger was a bad teammate.

"I don't think that was the consensus of the team back then," Keisel said. "Ben came in and had a lot on his shoulders right away. He had a lot of pressure."

Roethlisberger did not meet with the media yesterday.

Said veteran defensive back Deshea Townsend: "As far as he was when he first got here, he has always been a good teammate. He has always been a guy we've gotten along with well in the locker room."

Linebacker and defensive captain James Farrior, who dresses only a few lockers away from Roethlisberger, feels the same.

"I wouldn't say he wasn't a good teammate," Farrior said. "It was just, I think, a lot of things were happening around him. Being a quarterback of a good team, you have a lot of expectations that you might not realize."

Toss in that Roethlisberger enjoyed unparalleled success over his first two NFL seasons — he won 14 consecutive games as a rookie and a Super Bowl in his second campaign — only made it worse. Farrior said Roethlisberger's unmatched achievements early in his career put demands on his time that in turn isolated the franchise quarterback him from his teammates.

"It's tough for a young guy sometimes being cast into that spotlight and that role if you're not used to it," Farrior said. "It can get to you, and it might seem like you're distancing yourself from everybody."

Roethlisberger said it remained that way until backup quarterback Charlie Batch pulled him aside before the 2008 season for a heart-to-heart talk.

"Some things were easy to hear and some things were tough to hear," Roethlisberger said on "E:60." "Charlie helped me to become a good teammate and friend to a lot of these guys."

Batch declined comment on Roethlisberger's situation yesterday.

Roethlisberger started to make an effort to spend more time with his teammates, especially his offensive line. He has taken the linemen on many excursions, including in September when he hosted WWE's "Monday Night Raw" in Wilkes-Barre.

"I think it made a big difference," Roethlisberger said.

After the conversation with Batch in 2008, Roethlisberger has been playing his best football.

He led the team to its second Super Bowl victory just months after Batch's intervention and has followed that with a record-breaking first half of this season. He was named a Steelers' co-captain for a second consecutive year.

In leading the Steelers to a 6-2 record, Roethlisberger has thrown for 2,295 yards, 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He has completed 70.6 percent of his passes. He is on pace to become the first Steelers quarterback to pass for 4,000 yards in a season.

"The biggest thing is that he opened up to everybody," Keisel said.

Added Farrior: "I think he's matured over the years, and I think it's come full circle. You can tell that he cares about everybody on the team. Now, he's a great teammate."

steelballs
11-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Charlie's value to this team is his mentorship, not necessarily his physical skills.
I like the way that every time Ben comes off the field, Charlie is right there to meet him. It appears Ben has a lot of respect for what Charlie tells him and takes his advice to heart.

Edman
11-12-2009, 01:01 PM
It's rare for any professional athlete to admit what Ben just did. So turns out all those whispers of Ben did have some truth to them.

HometownGal
11-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I actually think that is there is room, Batch will stay on in a coaching aspect after he retires. He was always ok in Detriot, knew the game, just didn't have all the physical skills to do what needed done. Oh, plus it didn't help it was the much heralded Bobby Ross period in Detriot.

It would be nice to keep Charlie around as a coach, as he is extremely intelligent and has not only a great rapport with Ben, but everyone in that locker room. However, I don't see the Steelers booting Kenny Anderson as the QB coach, so I don't know that there will be a spot for Charlie other than to remain as the 3rd QB behind Ben and Dixon.

SteelerEmpire
11-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Yea... Based on my experience... when an older guy comes along and gives you some advice like that... it "always" pays to listen..... I wish that there were many more guys like these around so that more of the youth today could have mentors.....

markymarc
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
That was a great video and thanks for sharing it. I will say though that there aren't many 23-26 year old QBs ready to lead a team. Great job by Charlie Batch and helping to tutor Ben. The most important thing is that Ben is now the unquestioned leader of the Steelers.

steelwalls
11-13-2009, 05:56 PM
The interview was on espn 360. You have to swing through the target, Ben, swing though bird.

Willie Colon going tubing was the best part.

Yeah that really is soe fun syte to do, you know those guys really were having a good time.

stb_steeler
11-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I'd heard all kinds of rumblings along these lines for a couple years surrounding Ben. It's hard to say with any certainty how much merit rumors and stuff like this deserve, BUT there is usually a kernel of truth behind even the most outlandish statements.

The important thing is that he seems to have the respect of his teammates now, and I'm sure any hard feelings (provided there actually ever were any) are now water under the bridge....

Thats where the saying Band Of Brothers came into affect......:applaudit: