PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veteran's Day

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Formerly known as Armistice Day, tomorrow we celebrate our military on Veterans Day.

To our servicemen and women, Thank You For Your Service to our country. It's because of people like you that we are able to enjoy our freedoms that many of us take for granted.

the Brave Americans
Philip Freneau

http://lovetolearnplace.com/SpecialDays/Veteransday/Veteransdaypoetry.html#anchor233799
Under General Greene, in South Carolina,
who fell in the action of September 8, 1781

AT Eutaw Springs the valiant died;
Their limbs with dust are covered o'er —
Weep on, ye springs, your tearful tide;
How many heroes are no more!

If in this wreck or ruin, they
Can yet be thought to claim a tear,
O smite your gentle breast, and say
The friends of freedom slumber here!

Thou, who shalt trace this bloody plain,
If goodness rules thy generous breast,
Sigh for the wasted rural reign;
Sign for the shepherds, sunk to rest!

Stranger, their humble graves adorn;
You too may fall, and ask a tear;
'Tis not the beauty of the morn
That proves the evening shall be clear. —

They saw their injured country's woe;
The flaming town, the wasted field;
Then rushed to meet the insulting foe;
They took the spear — but left the shield.

Led by thy conquering genius, Greene,
The Britons they compelled to fly;
None distant viewed the fatal plain,
None grieved, in such a cause to die —

But, like the Parthian, famed of old,
Who, flying, still their arrows threw,
These routed Britons, full as bold,
Retreated, and retreating slew.

Now rest in peace, our patriot band,
Though far from nature's limits thrown,
We trust they find a happier land,
A brighter sunshine of their own.

Hammer Of The GODS
11-10-2009, 10:38 PM
To all my fellow Veterans out there in Steeler Nation......

It is the Veteran, not the preacher, who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Veteran, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Veteran, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Veteran, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to assemble.
It is the Veteran, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Veteran, not the politician, who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Veteran, who salutes the Flag,
It is the Veteran, who serves under the Flag,
To be buried by the flag,
So the protester can burn the flag.

I have served with some of the greatest human beings I have ever known. I have seen the sacrifice and bore witness to feats of heroism that trivialize the stunts of hollywood. I have stories that will put you on the edge of your seat one moment and make you weep the next. War has taken it's toll on my soul, but it has also tought me about the human spirit and how unselfishly noble and valiant it can be.

I salute my fellow Veterans and say thank you for your selfless contribution to this country.

Hammer Of The GODS
11-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Excellent poem!

Semper Fi

devilsdancefloor
11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
great poem! thanks you for all who are serving this great country! Also thank you to all my fellow brothers and sister for serving! HOOOOOOOOOOaaaaaHHHHHH!

SteelersinCA
11-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Happy Veteran's Day to my fellow Veteran's. Go eat for free at applebee's!!!

tony hipchest
11-11-2009, 12:45 AM
flag burners aside (who dont even deserve to be recognized on this day) ...

to all of the SF members who have served- :cheers: :salute: :usa: thank you.

im betting all of us have a family member or friend who have sacrificed for us and this nation.

reach out to them, show your appreciation, and let them know you care. (a simple call or e-mail can go a long, long way)

eafratitpm3
11-11-2009, 12:45 AM
I just wanted to start a Thread to thank all of our Veterans and Active Military for all you have done and continue to do for us each and every day! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

I also wanted to find out from Steeler Nation who are Veterans or Active Military where you were or are currently stationed and years of active duty if you are retired. I will start it off

21 year retired Air Force E-7
Assignments: Spangdahlem Germany, Loring AFB ME, Moody AFB Valdosta GA, Hurlburt Field FL, Teagu Korea, Schriever AFB CO

Galax Steeler
11-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Happy Veterans day to all of the Veterans.

steelwalls
11-11-2009, 05:19 AM
Thank you....hurrrraaaaa!!!!!

GoSlash27
11-11-2009, 06:31 AM
All gave some, some gave all. My deepest respect and gratitude for those that can't be here.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/helms-funeral06.jpg
Fair winds and following seas
John in CR
AT-3(AW) Desert Shield/ Desert Storm

SteelMember
11-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks to those for all you do, have done and continue to do in service to our country.

and God bless all those who have given the greatest sacrifice.

They may no longer walk among us, but will forever live within our hearts and memories.

:salute:

http://www.insidesocal.com/bargain/VeteransDay.jpg

HometownGal
11-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Happy Veterans Day to all of our beloved servicemen and women who have served and are presently serving our great country! :usa: :salute:

God Bless all of you and God Bless America! :usa:

http://123glitter.com/comments-graphics/file/12507.gif

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I also wanted to find out from Steeler Nation who are Veterans or Active Military where you were or are currently stationed and years of active duty if you are retired. I will start it off

Assignments: Spangdahlem Germany, Loring AFB ME, Moody AFB Valdosta GA, Hurlburt Field FL, Teagu Korea, Schriever AFB CO

I am former U.S. Army Military Police: "Sgt Biggs"
Assignments:
Operation Just Cause-Panama
Operation Desert Storm-Saudi Arabia/Kuwait/Iraq
:salute::usa::salute:

stlrtruck
11-11-2009, 08:24 AM
My prayers to all the families and service men and women who have sacrificed!

GOD BLESS YOU!

stlrtruck
11-11-2009, 08:28 AM
HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, DEDICATION, and DEVOTION TO FREEDOM at the risk of your own life.

X-Terminator
11-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Happy Veteran's Day to all of our vets here at SF, and all over the world. And thank you all for what you do!

Dino 6 Rings
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
March along, sing our song, with the Army of the free
Count the brave, count the true, who have fought to victory
We're the Army and proud of our name
We're the Army and proudly proclaim

First to fight for the right,
And to build the Nation’s might,
And The Army Goes Rolling Along
Proud of all we have done,
Fighting till the battle’s won,
And the Army Goes Rolling Along.

Then it's Hi! Hi! Hey!
The Army's on its way.
Count off the cadence loud and strong
For where e’er we go,
You will always know
That The Army Goes Rolling Along.

3/64 Delta Company and 2/64 Delta Company Armor Battalion, attached to the 3rd Infantry Division, 92-95.

http://images.military.com/ImageLibrary/AR064.GIF

fansince'76
11-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Happy Veteran's Day to everyone! :usa: :drink:

SteelCityMom
11-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Happy Veterans day and thank you to all who are serving and have served to protect our nation, it is truly appreciated.

hindes204
11-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Just wanted to stop in and say Happy Veterans day to all who have served or who are serving. And also to say thank you to all for wishing me a Happy Veterans Day

Active Duty Air Force, 9 years, currently deployed to Kuwait

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I have recieved three e-mails this morning from my old Army buddies. I have to tell you that they make my Veterans Day so special. I hope noone minds, but I wanted to share one with you all to help people underdstand the "bond" that is forged.

Sgt. Biggs,

HAPPY VET'S DAY! I wanted to drop you a note this morning and tell you thank you from all of us "Bushmasters". I talked to Nettleton already and he said that he may be able to head out your way soon. If it works out, he is going to pick up Freeburgh and me on the way, so tell Mrs. Biggs to be ready with some serious chow. I told that fat bastard to spend more time visiting this year and less time in your Dining room feeding his face, but I cant blame him, thats some good grub we had.

Nuts asked that we all call Hanley's mom today, but it is so hard for me to do. I just get way too emotional. My mom still calls Judy a couple of times a week. The two of them went to Virginia beach together this last September.

I am scheduled to speak at my daughters school today, along with Vets from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and a soldier that just returned from Iraq. I always have a problem talking to people about what we experienced. So much of what we brought back is weaved into the bad memories of burnt bodies, the bad memories of the bodies that we found after the wild dogs got to them, and the bad memories of when we found out that Hanley had been killed. I have to find a way to talk about War to kids who are not ready to hear about the ugly reality of what we experienced.

Perry, you know that I wouldnt trade my experiences for anything in this world, and that I am proud of what I was asked to do and what we achieved. Its just almost impossible to explain that pride without explaining that it is because we overcame and experienced so much. I think my pride is in just being a part of something special and in doing so, being part of a special group of guys.

I still remember you showing up with a Hardees bag, in the desert, in the middle of the war. WTF!!!! I am now officially one of those old timers who get to tell stories to his kids about how Sgt Biggs and I once "appropriated" a stinger missle, and how you and Hanley and I told a bunch of Iraqi soldiers that we couldnt let them surrender to us because we "were closed" for the night.

Every year at this time I thank God for those in our squad and for having you as our non-com. I know that you guys still have my back and would be here in a heartbeat if I needed you. You guys are blood, and even at my age I would storm the gates of hell with any of you. I might do it a bit slower, and take a cig break on the way, but I would do it none the less.

Well I still have to try and reach Fig and Corkey. Corkey told me last week that he is taking the day off and getting snookered with his Dad for Vets Day. Yea, like he needs an excuse!

I will try and call you later, sarge,

Love ya like a brother
Dave (Bushmaster 3)

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Just wanted to stop in and say Happy Veterans day to all who have served or who are serving. And also to say thank you to all for wishing me a Happy Veterans Day

Active Duty Air Force, 9 years, currently deployed to Kuwait

Hindes

Thank you for your current service. You Rock brother!!!!

Fire Haley
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
22 years was enough AF sand for me. So I retired on the beach.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/letterbox.jpg

Steelerstrength
11-11-2009, 12:56 PM
To my Father (USMC), my awesome older brother (USMC), all my uncles (USMC, US Army, USNavy), and all the men and women who have served, and continue to serve the greatest country in the world, please accept my heart-felt gratitude on this special day!

Nadroj 20
11-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Happy Veteran's Day to ALL veterans out there.

THANKYOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Veteran’s Day Tribute

When America had an urgent need,
These brave ones raised a hand;
No hesitation held them back;
They were proud to take a stand.

They left their friends and family;
They gave up normal life;
To serve their country and their God,
They plowed into the strife.

They fought for freedom and for peace
On strange and foreign shores;
Some lost new friends; some lost their lives
In bloody, brutal wars.

Other veterans answered
To join the ones who fought;
Their country had requirements for
The essential skills they brought.

We salute each and every one of them,
The noble and the brave,
The ones still with us here today,
And to a flag stuck near a grave.

So here’s to our country’s heroes;
They’re a cut above the rest;
Let’s give the honor that is due
To our country’s very best.

By Joanna Fuchs

SteelerEmpire
11-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Happy Veteran's Day !!! To all my Veteran comrades......

SCSTILLER
11-11-2009, 06:18 PM
22 years was enough AF sand for me. So I retired on the beach.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/letterbox.jpg

Nice rack Killer, I noticed you were a Master Sergeant before even seeing the rank, only needed to see your medals. Top one, MSM, other wise known as the Master Sergeant Medal. Just kidding, thanks for the service Killer, and thanks to all my brothers and sisters in arms, especially the ones who cannot be with us!

I am currently a 14.5 year E-6 in the Air Force. Five and a half to go, woohoo!

Wish I knew who said this: "There are only two people in the world who were willing to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Servicemen!"

GBMelBlount
11-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Happy Veterans to all who have served or are currently serving.

God bless you & thank you for your selfless service!

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-11-2009, 06:58 PM
NOTE TO ALL VETERANS

We ahve a verterans social group her at steelers fever...send me a pm if you would like to participate.

devilsdancefloor
11-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I just wanted to start a Thread to thank all of our Veterans and Active Military for all you have done and continue to do for us each and every day! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

6 years US Army
Engineer Combat Heavy Airborne (Surveyor)
Cpl rock thrower (dubbed by my Msgt)
Karlsruhe & Wild Flecken Germany, Desert storm Kuwait/Iraq
i got to build roads so the marines could say first in, last out and i could say who do you think built the runway & roads you are standing on.:chuckle:
Godspeed to all in harms way :salute:

beSteelmyheart
11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Happy Veterans Day to all of our fine men & women here & abroad. We are all thinking about you today & are wishing you were here.

hindes204
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I had to do a Dignified Transfer today...for those that dont know, this is when we tranfer the flag covered caskets of the fallen soldiers from here onto a plane to make his final trip home. I have done alot of these since being over here, but today seemed a little different being Veterans Day, it seemed to hit an extra nerve.

May God look over you young soldier, and give your family the strength to make it through this trying time. You have paid the ultimate price to protect our freedom, and your efforts will not be forgotten...may you rest in peace brother :salute:

SCSTILLER
11-12-2009, 06:21 AM
I had to do a Dignified Transfer today...for those that dont know, this is when we tranfer the flag covered caskets of the fallen soldiers from here onto a plane to make his final trip home. I have done alot of these since being over here, but today seemed a little different being Veterans Day, it seemed to hit an extra nerve.

May God look over you young soldier, and give your family the strength to make it through this trying time. You have paid the ultimate price to protect our freedom, and your efforts will not be forgotten...may you rest in peace brother :salute:

Yeah, I can beleive that it would have a little extra meaning being Veterans Day! I never had to be part of the transfer team, but we did bring quite a few of our fallen brothers and sisters out of Iraq and A-Stan to Germany. It is a very somber feeling in the airplane, nobody is talking, just going about their business of getting the airplane and the fallen home.

Hope all is well over there Hindes!

Fire Haley
11-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Just remember to take your Steelers flag with you, you never know where you'll end up.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/Iraq2.jpg

KeiselPower99
11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I know its a day late but thank you to all the servicemen and women who do something that alot of us couldnt handle it. The other day while cleaning out my closet I found a hat I bought right after we went to war with Iraq. It was one of them fitted fashion hats of the Army, A on the front and Army written across the back. Been proud to wear it the last few days in honor of yall. I know it sounds corny and stupid but to me its showing my support for yall.

JPPT1974
11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Remembering those that fought and are still fighting in the name of freedom. And those families that are sacrificing as well, so that their loved ones can do so.

steelwalls
11-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Well... if we are sounding off...

82nd Airborne, A Company, 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, 1st combat jump into western Afghanistan. This was the first combat jump for the division since the United States invasion of Panama. Recieved a purple heart and bronze star after my first tour.