PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Tomlin calls Bengals game 'big'

Galax Steeler
11-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Mike Tomlin, a graduate of the College of William & Mary, an erudite man of many words, invoked one tiny adjective three times in a 19-minute news conference in reference to the Steelers' game Sunday: big.

"Got a big AFC North matchup this week vs. the Cincinnati Bengals, who, of course, are atop the division," the Steelers' coach said yesterday, barely eight hours after returning from a 28-10 road triumph against Denver. "A very hot football team. Respect those guys."

Tomlin later reiterated that this upcoming Heinz Field collision with similarly 6-2 Cincinnati is a "critical matchup" and another instance of "classic AFC North warfare."

Sure, it partly was a motivational ploy to rally his spent troops so soon after they recorded their first road victory this season against a team with a winning record, the heretofore 6-1 Broncos.

"That was a big win for our football team. Something that's absolutely necessary," Tomlin said, measuring a team that won at Detroit but lost at Chicago and at Cincinnati. "You've got to be able to go on the road and win games vs. quality opponents. That's something we hadn't done until [Monday] night."

That was old news, though. Tomlin said the Steelers could not afford to turn back the clock any further.

"We got a short week," he said, adding that he expected to rest several veterans and keep them from practice today. "[Move on] right to Cincinnati. You have to. Time is of the essence. We're on a running clock, man. We're 30-plus hours behind those guys from a preparation standpoint.

"Not going to complain about it. ... The standard will be the standard for us on Sunday."

Tomlin pronounced lightly played fullback Carey Davis "the only significant injury" and ruled him most likely out for the Sunday game, though he admitted there is "not much clarity" to the medical report so soon after the Monday night game.

"I can pretty much imagine it's going to be tough for him to participate this week," Tomlin said. "Usually when you pop a hamstring ... very rarely are you capable of participating the next week."

After that, though, Tomlin wasn't able to report on any of what he termed "minor" aches and pains gained in beating the Broncos. Safety Ryan Clark was held out Monday as a precaution because of his sickle-cell trait that resulted in surgery that removed his spleen and gall bladder two years ago after a game in Denver, but Tomlin wasn't yet sure about the availability this week of defensive end Travis Kirschke and linebacker Lawrence Timmons. Kirschke (calf) and Timmons (ankle) each missed a second consecutive game due to injuries.

"Don't know at this point," Tomlin said. "Really don't know because we haven't had an opportunity to visit with those guys since we've returned from Denver."

On another front, Tomlin declined to talk about the availability of a former Pro Bowl running back who long has wished to play for the Steelers: Larry Johnson of Penn State. Johnson was released by the Kansas City Chiefs Monday after his second suspension in a year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09315/1012410-66.stm

Dino 6 Rings
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
I like that we play our best ball in "big games"

scsteeler
11-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes we do and when the Big Stage is set the Steelers answer the call. It is getting that time of the year where you want to start playing your best ball.

Steelboy84
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Just watch how NFL N *cough* Warren Sapp * and Boomer Easiason on CBS jumps on the Steelers bandwagon Sunday. Just watch.

SteelerEmpire
11-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Yea its big... its for the Division lead.....

SteelersMomma
11-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Yea its big... its for the Division lead.....

Thats exactly what I was going to say. :tt02:

Gnutella
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Technically, we'll still be in second place even if we beat the Bengals. Their division record would be 4-1, with only a game against Cleveland left in division play. Ours would be 2-1, with a game against Cleveland and the series against Baltimore left. Cincinnati's sweep of the Ravens has given them the upper hand. The only way we'd have an advantage over the Bengals with an identical record is if both of the following are true:

1. We do not lose another game in the division.
2. They finish undefeated in interconference play.

If we win the rest of our division games, that would give us a 5-1 record in division play, which is how the Bengals will probably finish as well. (Don't count on the Browns to help us.) The next tiebreaker would be common games. Right now, both teams have 2-1 records in common games, with the Bengals losing to the Broncos, and us losing to the Bears. Here are each team's remaining schedules, not counting this week...

Bengals

at Oakland
vs Cleveland
vs Detroit
at Minnesota
at San Diego
vs Kansas City
at New York Jets

Steelers

at Chiefs
at Ravens
vs Raiders
at Browns
vs Packers
vs Ravens
at Dolphins

I've highlighted each team's two most dangerous games in RED, and I've highlighted potential "trap" games in PURPLE.

It appears to me that we have a slightly easier schedule down the stretch than they do. Our two most dangerous games left are those against the Ravens. The Ravens don't appear to be as strong as they were last season, and we get one of those two games at home. Conversely, the Bengals still have to play the Vikings and Chargers -- and they have to hit the road for both games. Each team has a potential trap at the very end of the season, though, so if the division is still undecided by then, we'll have to be Jets fans for a week.

Everything I've discussed here is moot if we lose a second game in the division, or if we lose unexpectedly to some bottom-feeder like the Raiders or Chiefs. Basically, I think our margin of error for the rest of the season is one game. We cannot afford to lose more than one game the rest of the way if we expect to win the AFC North.

SteelCityMom
11-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Technically, we'll still be in second place even if we beat the Bengals. Their division record would be 4-1, with only a game against Cleveland left in division play. Ours would be 2-1, with a game against Cleveland and the series against Baltimore left. Cincinnati's sweep of the Ravens has given them the upper hand. The only way we'd have an advantage over the Bengals with an identical record is if both of the following are true:

If we win the rest of our division games, that would give us a 5-1 record in division play, which is how the Bengals will probably finish as well. (Don't count on the Browns to help us.) The next tiebreaker would be common games. Right now, both teams have 2-1 records in common games, with the Bengals losing to the Broncos, and us losing to the Bears. Here are each team's remaining schedules, not counting this week...

Bengals

at Oakland
vs Cleveland
vs Detroit
at Minnesota
at San Diego
vs Kansas City
at New York Jets

Steelers

at Chiefs
at Ravens
vs Raiders
at Browns
vs Packers
vs Ravens
at Dolphins

I've highlighted each team's two most dangerous games in RED, and I've highlighted potential "trap" games in PURPLE.

It appears to me that we have a slightly easier schedule down the stretch than they do. Our two most dangerous games left are those against the Ravens. The Ravens don't appear to be as strong as they were last season, and we get one of those two games at home. Conversely, the Bengals still have to play the Vikings and Chargers -- and they have to hit the road for both games. Each team has a potential trap at the very end of the season, though, so if the division is still undecided by then, we'll have to be Jets fans for a week.

Everything I've discussed here is moot if we lose a second game in the division, or if we lose unexpectedly to some bottom-feeder like the Raiders or Chiefs. Basically, I think our margin of error for the rest of the season is one game. We cannot afford to lose more than one game the rest of the way if we expect to win the AFC North.

I thought number of wins was first and then division wins was the first tie-breaker within a division. Like, suppose by some fluke, the Bengals went undefeated in the division, but lost every other game and went 6-10 and the Steelers only lost to the Bengals and ,lets say, 3 other teams and led the division with an 11-5 record. I just can't see the Bengals leading the division in a situation like that.

theplatypus
11-11-2009, 06:44 PM

Bengals

at Oakland
vs Cleveland
vs Detroit
at Minnesota
at San Diego
vs Kansas City
at New York Jets

Steelers

at Chiefs
at Ravens
vs Raiders
at Browns
vs Packers
vs Ravens
at Dolphins

I would almost bet that we beat Cincy, split with the Ravens, and they lose to SD and the Vikings. Additionally we lose one more of our remaining games. That puts it Steelers 12-4 and Cincy 11-5.

Gnutella
11-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I thought number of wins was first and then division wins was the first tie-breaker within a division. Like, suppose by some fluke, the Bengals went undefeated in the division, but lost every other game and went 6-10 and the Steelers only lost to the Bengals and ,lets say, 3 other teams and led the division with an 11-5 record. I just can't see the Bengals leading the division in a situation like that.

Oops. I forgot that we'd have a one-game lead on them if we win on Sunday. :doh:

It's still good to examine tiebreaker scenarios just in case.

fansince'76
11-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Oops. I forgot that we'd have a one-game lead on them if we win on Sunday. :doh:

Good breakdown anyway. :drink:

Edman
11-11-2009, 07:10 PM
The Steelers are tied with the Bengals at 6-2.

A win puts them ahead of the Bengals. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Steelboy84
11-11-2009, 08:19 PM

It's still good to examine tiebreaker scenarios just in case.

Which is exactly why this two game stretch for us was HUGE to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!