PDA

View Full Version : Do Steeler fans travel well? Or do they live well?

NEWstevo
11-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Every time the Steelers play a game outside Pittsburgh, the announcers, the media, or the other teams fans bring up the fact that the Steeler fans always travel well. Meaning, there will be plenty of terrible towels and Big Ben jerseys in attendance, taking the long drive or flight out of Pittsburgh just to see an “away” game in person.

The numerous Steeler fans don’t travel, as much as we just LIVE in your city! And, we are not all Pittsburgh-transplants, but actual residents that were born and raised with the Black and Gold.

Stop saying we travel well. Unless by traveling, you mean go to the nearest stadium to see the one game a year (or after many years) that Pittsburgh comes to us.

Go Steelers!

memphissteelergirl
11-11-2009, 07:44 AM
LOL...Yeah, I always laugh when they say that. I yell back at the TV screen: "Hey, Einstein, Steeler fans don't have to travel anywhere...we're already there!!"
Granted, there are some who may drive/fly in for a game if they're within a reasonable distance, but for the most part there are Black and Gold fans in just about every major city in this country.

STEELER NATION...INVADING A STADIUM NEAR YOU!!

:tt04::tt02::tt::tt03:

stillers4me
11-11-2009, 08:13 AM
I watch the games in Cincinnati in a bar that holds 200-300 plus Steelers faithful.......and we live there! Some of us are transplants and some are natives that just have always been Steelers fans. All God's chosen ones...when 2 more are gathered in the name, Martino's on Vine becomes the Church of the Black and Gold every Sunday!

KeiselPower99
11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
We dont travel well.....Simply we are everywhere. Thats why its called Steeler Nation!!!!

Christian Snyder
11-11-2009, 09:35 AM
We're everywhere.... We have more fans than any other football team. IMO

steelerchad
11-11-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree that we do have fans everywhere, but I think we also have a more loyal fan base than most and do travel well also. I have been going to 4 or 5 games a year for the last several years and they're split between away and home games, so I do travel. I'm from Pittsburgh originally, but now live in Richmond,VA.
Last year, went to Pittsburgh for the Baltimore monday night game and the AFCC game. Traveled to away games at Baltimore, Washington, Tennessee also.
In previous years I've been to Baltimore several times, Cincy, Cleveland, Minneapolis also and I've met alot of fans who also travel. Every time I take a flight to a game there are always others on the flight wearing their Steeler colors.
Also, about the more loyal fans. Just look at Heinz, you never see a large showing from any visiting team in our stadium. And the ticket prices on the secondary market speak to that loyalty and fan base as well. Supply is short and demand is huge.
BTW, Nashville and Washington were both probably 30% Steeler fans last year. I think Steeler fans will migrate regionally as well. Like when we play in KC at the end of the month. I doubt we have a huge fanbase right in KC, but all the midwest fans will take that opportunity to "travel" to that game throughout the entire midwest. Just like West Coast fans traveled in for the Denver game.

oldschool
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes we travel well, living in Mississippi we travel if it's a "home" game or an "away" game , and see at least one a year in person, and have been to Jacksonville, Nashville, Atlanta, Cincy, New Orleans, Carolina, and the Burgh! In addition to watching the game in "Steelers Bars" in Cincy, & New Orleans! Ya we travel!!

tyler289
11-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I always find it amazing how there are always thousands of terrible towels at stadiums with "great" fanbases.

tube517
11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Travel or Live well, it doesn't matter. "You are THERE!"

Steeler fans are the most loyal. They will buy up the tickets that other teams' lazy fans don't want.

JunScooby
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
We just have some extremely loyal fans regardless of where we are. Look at all of the Steeler bars across the country. Look at the towels at every away game. I never paid it much attention till a few years ago wwhen I was looking to tix for the Cin playoff game and most ticket sellers would not sell to anyone from a 412 or 724 area code...maybe that is the only time I have been lucky to live in Ohio.

SteelersMomma
11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Yep I live in AZ and I went to the Monday night game. I'm now up here in the Denver area visiting family.

California-Steel
11-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Most live in the state/city where the games are being played, but some do travel as well. But not as many as the annoucers think.

I live in California and there are tons of Steelers bars that are packed every game day. I once read somewhere that California had the largest Steelers fans base outside of Pittsburgh or PA I should say.

Go Steelers!!!

steel striker
11-11-2009, 02:02 PM
We are everywhere!

CanadianSteel
11-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Yup - I represent up here in the North and there are as many Steeler fans north of the border as any other team.
Last year at Bills/Steelers Pre-season game in Toronto the Steeler fans outnumbered Bills fans by a huge margin.

I usually get down to the Burgh for one game each year but over the past 20 years I have been to see Steelers play in Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, and here at Home in Toronto.

Steeler Nation is everywhere !

Lord of Lombardi
11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
It is a lot of both......We live there but with the way all Pittsburghers were raised (only Pittsburghers know) any chance those local homeboys get to attend a game at an away stadium, we don't miss the chance. I've gone to many Steeler games in places i've lived, Baltimore, Chicago and even driven to many games in Cleveland. For us who are on the long list of season tickets hopefuls, it is our only chance to see the BNG. I would never not attend another stadium because I was afraid of their fan base. I sat in the dog pound 4 years in a row and had bottles thrown at me and it made me want to come back the next year even more. Now those dog piles of dung are a joke and I take pride that I witnessed their demise many times over. We are the only "Nation" in the NFL. NO other team is close to our loyalty. Here is one Marine that will die always loving this team our city and our fans!

Gnutella
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
We're already there. Economic circumstances between roughly 1975 and 1995 forced a lot of Pittsburghers out through the rest of the country. It's a double-edged sword, though; while it gives us a presence everywhere, it also makes people say ignorant stuff like, "They're here because they couldn't want to get out of that sh*thole!" Funny thing is, if that were the truth, then we probably wouldn't have been Steeler fans in the first place. We remain Steeler fans because we miss Pittsburgh, and we keep a piece of it with us. Thankfully the economy there has shown signs of a meaningful recovery since 2000, if the region's unemployment rate and "real" per capita income growth (gross per capita income growth minus increase in regional consumer price index) indicate anything. Maybe the region will soon get back some of the clout it lost late in the 20th Century, especially now that much of the rest of the country is suffering through economic conditions almost as severe as those the Pittsburgh region suffered through in the early 1980's.

Psyychoward86
11-11-2009, 05:04 PM
stevo, u pose an amazingly good question

SoCalFan
11-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Yea,I travel well.I go to San Diego,San Francisco,Oakland,Arizona,and even Denver when I can.Hopefully to Pittsburgh some day! Honestly,I bleed black and gold but I am happy being in Sunny So.Cal....

SCSTILLER
11-11-2009, 06:31 PM
We are already there, and we travel well! Trying to find the article that the VJ from WDVE (beleive it was him) wrote about the pride in the franchise and city, steel mills failing, people leaving to find jobs in other cities, and raising their kids in the tradition of being a Steelers fan. Anybody else hear/read/know where to get that article and post it? It would fit right here.

1fastprototype
11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
It is a large combination of all of the above. I personally am a steel mill closing transplant from the early 80's when my father was transfered to the chicago area. After going to every home game in the 70's thru 83 I wasn':t going to switch teams because of where I live.

Fot the next 10 years I attended about half the games per year. Once I started my own business I started attending more and transforming others around me into Steeler fans. I haven't missed a playoff game since 92 and only missed two games in the last 5 years playoffs and superbowls included.

Being this big of a fan you easily transform others into Steeler fans, and making business outings tailgate parties. I always buy terrible towels for my first timers and being part of something so amazing usually transforms people.:tt:

ricksteelers55
11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree that we do have fans everywhere, but I think we also have a more loyal fan base than most and do travel well also. I have been going to 4 or 5 games a year for the last several years and they're split between away and home games, so I do travel. I'm from Pittsburgh originally, but now live in Richmond,VA.
Last year, went to Pittsburgh for the Baltimore monday night game and the AFCC game. Traveled to away games at Baltimore, Washington, Tennessee also.
In previous years I've been to Baltimore several times, Cincy, Cleveland, Minneapolis also and I've met alot of fans who also travel. Every time I take a flight to a game there are always others on the flight wearing their Steeler colors.
Also, about the more loyal fans. Just look at Heinz, you never see a large showing from any visiting team in our stadium. And the ticket prices on the secondary market speak to that loyalty and fan base as well. Supply is short and demand is huge.
BTW, Nashville and Washington were both probably 30% Steeler fans last year. I think Steeler fans will migrate regionally as well. Like when we play in KC at the end of the month. I doubt we have a huge fanbase right in KC, but all the midwest fans will take that opportunity to "travel" to that game throughout the entire midwest. Just like West Coast fans traveled in for the Denver game.

True that,I live in Montreal Canada and I've travelled a lot for the Steelers going as far as Tampa Florida to see them which is 24hrs from MTL to TB.But if one day there would be a team in Montreal(never gonna happen but let's say IF) I would still travel to see the Steelers but I would also go to the game in Montreal to cheer for the black n gold

WeegiesWarriors
11-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Speaking of travelling. I'm calling on Steeler Nation to take over cleveland here in a month. I know we usually do, but this year it could go to heights you wouldn't imagine. Fans are protesting and the word is the majority will sell their seats to Steeler fans as a sign of protest to Lerner and let it become a Steeler home game.

Part of me doesn't want them to send a wakeup call to management and have them make changes that accidentally might work this time around. HOWEVER, it would be just too sweet seeing 2/3 or more Black and Gold maniacs in that stadium.

MaidenIndiana
11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
For all the bragging their fans do about how great they are, I find it rather easy to get tickets whenever the Steelers play the Colts in Indy. I sat about 10 rows off the field in the endzone for the playoff game a few years back. Same thing with Bungles. I don't understand how supposed fans of other teams can sell their tickets, lord knows I couldn't nor wouldn't if I had tickets for Heinz Field, but if their loyalty can be bought then I've got the cash!

BengalMAN85
11-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Or more than half of the fans just bandwagon?????????

tube517
11-12-2009, 02:44 PM
True fans fill up other team's stadiums for them.

Bandwagon fans (like your team) can't even fill their own stadiums. Ask Ochocinco about having to buy his own team's tickets.

X-Terminator
11-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Steelers fans represented quite well in other cities in 2003 and 2006, one a losing season, the other an 8-8 season in which they started out 2-6.

Bandwagon my ass.

If you want to see bandwagon fans, look in the mirror.

Real fans do not sell tickets to fans of rival teams, which is why you will never see 20,000 opposing team fans at Heinz.

markymarc
11-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I despise hearing the media tools always talk about the Steeler Nation traveling well. While yes there will be a few that travel to see games in other cities, the Steeler Nation is already there living.

markymarc
11-13-2009, 02:15 PM

Well look who decided to come out of the closet with the Bungles winning. Bandwagon and Steelers fans don't even belong in the same sentence..............now Bungle fans and bandwagon that definitely works!

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Next week, I am taking the 3 hour drive from Arkansas to Kansas City to join the other 20,000 Steelers Fans that are going to INVADE Arrow Head Stadium.