PDA

View Full Version : al davis to "raid" steelers coaching staff?

tony hipchest
01-23-2006, 12:06 PM
the raiders is the only head coaching vacancy. is davis waiting for wisenhunt? he loves young offensive minds (jon gruden)

WWIIOwheelz
01-23-2006, 12:40 PM
I just want them to stay away from Russ. I'd very much like to see him become the head coach in Pittsburgh one day. He's a perfect fit.

clevestinks
01-23-2006, 03:22 PM
What is Grimms real job anyway, I say keep Wiz, and let Grimm go

Koopa
01-23-2006, 03:31 PM
i hope wiz has enough sense in him to not leave this team, he can do better if he waits a year or two. i don't really know what the fuss is about grimm, like cleve said what does he really do?

augustashark
01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
If Wiz is offered the job then he should take it.....Come on guys think about it...He would be paid millions of dollars to be a head coach in the NFL....I agree Oakland is not the best place to be....but they were in the SB just 3yrs ago. Al Davis can be hard to work for, but let's not forget he has won SB'S! I would hate to lose Wiz but if I were him I would take the job.....There are only 32 of these jobs in the world! You got to take them when you can.

Stlrs4Life
01-23-2006, 03:52 PM
What is Grimms real job anyway, I say keep Wiz, and let Grimm go

Grimm is probably the best OL coach in the league. He is also the asst HC for us. I also do not want to see Wisenhunt leave.

clevestinks
01-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Grimm is probably the best OL coach in the league. He is also the asst HC for us. I also do not want to see Wisenhunt leave.
I understand that he is asst HC, but the job of asst HC is what I`m trying to figure out. To me O-lin is very important, but our offensive game planning is kick butt, we need at least one more year out of Wiz.

I thought I heard that the raides were waiting on denvers d coordinator

tony hipchest
01-23-2006, 04:13 PM
I thought I heard that the raides were waiting on denvers d coordinatorthat wouldnt suprise me but davis can be so unpredictable. i even heard art shells name mentionned.

maybe the rooneys should give the co-ordinators a hefty bonus to stay. look at what d. snyder is doing.

drizze99
01-23-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't want to lose EITHER of them!

Ambridge
01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Whisenhunt would have to be insane to go to Oakland.

Any head coach who goes there knows they is just a puppet of Al Davis.
Al might be an Old Coot but he still likes to run that team with an Iron Fist and in many ways is detriment to the Raiders.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Oakland is a coaching graveyard.Al Davis doesn't give his coaches any time to build a winning team.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2006, 09:27 PM
If you get an opportunity to be a head coach you take it and, unless the offense bombs in the Super Bowl, Whisenhunt's rep cannot get much higher than it is right now.

I assume Cowher would promote from within to get a new O-coordinator. Although getting the opportunity to work with Ben would certainly be an inducement, there are a lot of jobs being shuffled this off-season and filling the slot from outside might be a problem with all the other vacancies that are being filled.

God forbid we have a repeat of when Chan Gailey went to Dallas (which at the time had a rep of a micro-managing owner that was as bad as the current rep for Oakland) and the Ray Sherman disaster ensued.

tony hipchest
01-23-2006, 09:33 PM
or worse.....wind up with a kevin gilbride. steelers need wisinhunt to stay. i say a payraise is in order.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Grimm nor Wiz will take the Raiders job, I'd bet money on it. The head coaching issues w/ al davis and the faiders are well documented. Bet on both of them staying w/ us.

I understand that he is asst HC, but the job of asst HC is what I`m trying to figure out. To me O-lin is very important, but our offensive game planning is kick butt, we need at least one more year out of Wiz.

Cleve, Russ' job is the first coach the OL, but normally OL coaches dont have input into the game plan all THAT much. but in Grimm's case; himself, Wiz and Cowher all colaborate in the game plan on offense mainly. He's second in command of the Steelers basically.

Man_Of_Steel
01-23-2006, 10:03 PM
One of them will go to Oakland. Which one though? Unless there was a Seahawks coach in the running.

43FlyingHair
01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Russ Grimm will never be the head coach of the Steelers. The Rooneys are going to stick with Bill Cowher as long as he wants to remain in Pittsburgh, and frankly Cowher would be a fool to ever think he could do better than to stay in Pittsburgh where the ownership and fans have been loyal and steadfast. Not to take anything away from Grimm, but he's not getting any younger while Cowher remains head coach for the foreseeable future.

tony hipchest
01-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Russ Grimm will never be the head coach of the Steelers. The Rooneys are going to stick with Bill Cowher as long as he wants to remain in Pittsburgh, and frankly Cowher would be a fool to ever think he could do better than to stay in Pittsburgh where the ownership and fans have been loyal and steadfast. Not to take anything away from Grimm, but he's not getting any younger while Cowher remains head coach for the foreseeable future.

yes, like it or not cowher is in pitt. to stay. for the better more than for the worse.

augustashark
01-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Grimm nor Wiz will take the Raiders job, I'd bet money on it. The head coaching issues w/ al davis and the faiders are well documented. Bet on both of them staying w/ us.

Cleve, Russ' job is the first coach the OL, but normally OL coaches dont have input into the game plan all THAT much. but in Grimm's case; himself, Wiz and Cowher all colaborate in the game plan on offense mainly. He's second in command of the Steelers basically.

BRC, I'll take that bet, no money but some I told you so's! If Wiz is offered the job I say he takes it.

You in?

Rotorhead
01-24-2006, 03:32 AM
I certainly hope Whiz stays for another year, but I doubt it will happen cause he is just that good.

tony hipchest
01-24-2006, 10:26 AM
the rooneys better give wisenhunt a hefty payraise. john clayton was talking thismorning that he is the #1 option for the raiders. look at his resume and you can see why al davis is drooling:

took a 6-10 team to 15-1 in his 1st year with a rookie qb
reached the sb in his second year. averaged 29 ppg down the stretch and into the playoffs
top rushing offense
qb who leads the league in yds / attempt

heres what the raiders have to offer that may have wisenhunt drooling:

$$$$$
potential for a strong run game with lamont jordan
randy moss/ jerry porter to go deep
d. culpepper??? probably not but a. davis wants to bring in a good qb. if they have to groom a rookie wisenhunt has proven he can do that.

Ambridge
01-24-2006, 11:03 AM
the rooneys better give wisenhunt a hefty payraise. john clayton was talking thismorning that he is the #1 option for the raiders. look at his resume and you can see why al davis is drooling:

took a 6-10 team to 15-1 in his 1st year with a rookie qb
reached the sb in his second year. averaged 29 ppg down the stretch and into the playoffs
top rushing offense
qb who leads the league in yds / attempt

heres what the raiders have to offer that may have wisenhunt drooling:

$$$$$
potential for a strong run game with lamont jordan
randy moss/ jerry porter to go deep
d. culpepper??? probably not but a. davis wants to bring in a good qb. if they have to groom a rookie wisenhunt has proven he can do that.

That's a good arguement but Ken Whisenhunt is the beneficiary of having a lot more offensive talent to work with in Pittsburgh(which makes him look like a Superstar)than he will ever have in Oakland.

Another thing to think about is will Whisenhunt really want to leave the Steeler/Rooney organization which is known for being very stabile with their coaches and players and also for their overall team decision making........to go to Oakland and head up a team in a present state of disarray along with having to deal with an elderly/control freak owner.

Head coaching job or not it's a bad move.