PDA

View Full Version : Sour Grapes By Denver Columnist

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Attached is a link to a column in the Rocky Mountain News by Bernie Lincicome. You may find it hard to believe this after three beatdowns by the Steelers, but this column picks up the mantra from the Cincy and Indy games that the Steelers did not win so much as the other team underperformed. Some excerpts:

"Another Broncos season ends in January, this one at Invesco Field instead of back there in Indiana, the third short sheet in a row, a few weeks later but still a numbing redundancy. Home cooking, splendid weather, encouraging worshipers, the merest of opponents [my emphasis], none of those advantages helped the Broncos any more this time than the last two. The team that might have been champion, with a chance to be, if not a team for the ages, at least the team for a season, let practically a free pass to the Super Bowl pass."

"This one was worse than either of those bad surrenders to Indy, for it was a clear rout by a team no more fit for glory than the Broncos. The Steelers now become the favorite for the Super Bowl, like being the largest knuckle in a fist."

"The Steelers, a collection of crude craftsmen, not an artist among them, were not particularly brutal or especially inspired. They were dogged and competent, as the Broncos were supposed to be, immune to altitude and calamity, grotesques in ghastly Halloween colors, while the Broncos played like a team full of fog and excuses."

So let me get this straight - the Steelers go to Indy and dominate the team that smacked the Broncos around the last 2 years, then stomp the Broncos in Denver, but are "no more fit for glory" than the Broncos? Give me a break!

On the bright side, since I am now hearing the Super Bowl this year does not have any glamour teams the Steelers can still believe they need to earn the public's respect.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_4408133,00.html

Tooquickrich
01-23-2006, 12:18 PM
I hate sore losers!

Take your @$$-WHOOPIN' like a man and be done with it!

Besides, anyone who thinks Jake Plummer is a Super Bowl QB has something wrong in their head anyway.......lol.

VegasStlrFan
01-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Doesn't matter what this idiot says. After the game I spoke with a number of Bronco Fans at the stadium and they all said we kicked their ass and wished us luck in Detroit. This is the first guy I heard making excuses.

JustaFan
01-23-2006, 12:32 PM
He made a couple of truthful comments::cool:

"The Steelers had a better quarterback, a better game-breaking receiver and a better defense, and all played better than the Broncos in the thin air of misery that was supposed to neuter outsiders."

"Jake Plummer, asked finally to do something, unable to do enough, except to help Pittsburgh, which didn't really need it.

And it recalls the younger, more able, Ben Roethlisberger, whose future is as bright as Plummer's is limited, exposing the Broncos in places they thought they had fixed, the secondary, the pass rush.

Roethlisberger had enough time to read the Congressional Record while his receivers danced in spaces so open they could have been zoned for farming. The Steelers converted third downs as if they were government bonds. "

SteelerFanInCA
01-23-2006, 04:30 PM
I guess some people just have trouble understanding a good old fashion a s s beating.

steveironcity
01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
I wish i could get payed to whine and moan, like so many a sportswriter

clevestinks
01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
he knows $h!t about us! And we destroyed those pretenders

SteelersWyo
01-23-2006, 05:14 PM
I was at the game and the Denver fans were horrified thier team was playing so bad. But in the end all of them said "Damn your team is good."

RoethlisBURGHer
01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
It doesn't matter what this ass writes.We know that we are the BEST team in the NFL.The Seahawks have no chance of beating us.

Chrome_CW
01-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey Guys, Seahawks Fan here - not looking to troll, but just looking to have some decent converstation with you guys for a couple of weeks.

On this subject, unfortunately you've got to get used to it - that's what we've been dealing with in Seattle after the last 2 weeks of dismantling 2 fairly hot teams coming in here - Most analysts haven't given the Hawks or the Steelers the credit they deserve for stopping some offenses that, at times during the year at least, had looked explosive.

You guys definitely have a great team that will be tough to match up against, especially considering the fairly one/two dimensional offenses that we faced the last two weeks, but don't overlook our underhyped defense.

Good luck and here is to a clean, injury free game in 2 weeks.

tony hipchest
01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey Guys, Seahawks Fan here - not looking to troll, but just looking to have some decent converstation with you guys for a couple of weeks.

On this subject, unfortunately you've got to get used to it - that's what we've been dealing with in Seattle after the last 2 weeks of dismantling 2 fairly hot teams coming in here - Most analysts haven't given the Hawks or the Steelers the credit they deserve for stopping some offenses that, at times during the year at least, had looked explosive.

You guys definitely have a great team that will be tough to match up against, especially considering the fairly one/two dimensional offenses that we faced the last two weeks, but don't overlook our underhyped defense.

Good luck and here is to a clean, injury free game in 2 weeks.ray rhodes and his defense has often been underappreciated throughout his career, and alot of steeler die hards have followed the seattle defense ever since chad brown joined. i bet hes regretting the decision not coming home now! anyways us steelerfans havent doubted any teams up to this point and i dont think we will now. seahawks are good.... as were the bengals, colts, and broncos.

Suitanim
01-24-2006, 03:32 PM
The Steelers have compliled a 30-7 record over the last 2 seasons, and have won 7 straight games.

Then again, with comments like "grotesques in ghastly Halloween colors" I'd say there are even odds that this guy is a gay columnist who was mistakenly assigned to cover a football game instead of his usual home interior decorating beat, and just did the best he could.