View Full Version : Big Ben reacts to Cowher's prediction

mesaSteeler
11-13-2009, 06:04 AM
Big Ben reacts to Cowher's prediction
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_652933.html
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 13, 2009
Photos

John Harris is a sports columnist for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached via e-mail or at 412-481-5432.

Asked about former Steelers coach Bill Cowher's preseason prediction that Cincinnati would win the AFC North, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said with a straight face, "He's a mastermind. Obviously, he knew something we didn't know.''

Defensive end Travis Kirschke missed another day of practice, clouding his status for Sunday's home game against Cincinnati. Kirschke sat out against Denver with the injury and was replaced by Nick Eason, who helped the Steelers limit the Broncos to 27 rushing yards. Fullback Carey Davis also missed Thursday's practice with a hamstring injury. Safety Tyrone Carter, the AFC Defensive Player of the Week with two interceptions against Denver, missed practice because of illness. Wide receiver Hines Ward, linebacker James Farrior, cornerback Deshea Townsend and guard Trai Essex all returned to practice.

For Cincinnati, linebacker Keith Rivers (calf) and guard Evan Mathis (ankle) missed their second consecutive day of practice. Safety Roy Williams (forearm) sat out after practicing on Wednesday. Defensive end Robert Gathers (hip), running back Jeremi Johnson (chest) and defensive end Frostee Rucker (neck) were limited in practice.

Quotable

"Having been with Chad, nothing he would do would surprise me. He's a great player, and a good guy.'' -- Steelers defensive coordinator and former Cincinnati coach Dick LeBeau on Bengals coach Marvin Lewis preventing receiver Chad Ochocinco from sending mustard to Steelers cornerbacks this week to help them "ketch-up'' with him.

Digits

1 -- Number of NFL teams ranked in the top 5 in both offense and defense this week (Steelers).

10 -- Number of defensive takeaways during Steelers' current five-game winning streak.

HometownGal
11-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Asked about former Steelers coach Bill Cowher's preseason prediction that Cincinnati would win the AFC North, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said with a straight face, "He's a mastermind. Obviously, he knew something we didn't know.''

The Bungles haven't won anything and they have to get past us to even have a shot to win the division. Simply put - that aint gonna happen.

Texasteel
11-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Monday night the Steelers exposed Denver as the overrated team they are. Sunday the steelers will show that the Bundles are a total fraud.

Super mouth better wear his titanium teeth. He's gona need them.

stlrtruck
11-13-2009, 08:17 AM
It's not the first time Cowher (or other previous Steelers alum) have picked against us. We have to remember that they are the media pundits now and their job is to provide ratings for the network.

Our job is to cheer on the Steelers and laugh at the media pudits Sunday night when they do their best attempt at back pedaling.

But why not use it as a little extra motivation to prove them wrong!

steelballs
11-13-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm sure if the Bengals had a siren to crank, Bill would be cranking away with his new set of chicklets.
Cowher is paid to run his mouth and stir up talk.....I just wish he was more cognizant of the way he's perceived in Pittsburgh....he should know better.

BlastFurnace
11-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Bill always backs us. The Steelers no longer pay him though, CBS does. They need those guys to stir things up since they are competing with 4 other networks. If push came to shove, Bill would be in our court.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Bill always backs us. The Steelers no longer pay him though, CBS does. They need those guys to stir things up since they are competing with 4 other networks. If push came to shove, Bill would be in our court.

I agree with this.

Not to mention, he knows it is going to motivate some of his old players, especially Big Ben who he has always butted heads with.

revefsreleets
11-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, the season ain't over yet...technically, the still could.

Didn't work out so well for them last time they won the division though, did it?

Merchant
11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah I actually think he's supporting us by saying that. If he woulda said the Steelers are gonna win the AFC North the players woulda just gone, hmm ok, nice of him to support us. But he said the Bengals would win, knowing that it would fire some guys up and make them want to prove him wrong.

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Digits

1 -- Number of NFL teams ranked in the top 5 in both offense and defense this week (Steelers).

10 -- Number of defensive takeaways during Steelers' current five-game winning streak.

Wow to both of those!

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
47 hours to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stb_steeler
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM
It's not the first time Cowher (or other previous Steelers alum) have picked against us. We have to remember that they are the media pundits now and their job is to provide ratings for the network.

Our job is to cheer on the Steelers and laugh at the media pudits Sunday night when they do their best attempt at back pedaling.

But why not use it as a little extra motivation to prove them wrong!

Just like we did mondaynight....:thumbsup:

SteelC7
11-13-2009, 04:17 PM
ill say one thing, if we lose sunday, itll be a dark day in steelerland, cuz well all be depressed as hell, cuz we all expect the steelers to win this game, however, that wont happen...27-14 steelers

Psyychoward86
11-13-2009, 04:28 PM
i feel like this will be another game where we expose a team for being worse than they really are: 27-20 Steelers

O Sensei
11-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Cowher has to be aware of his legacy here in steelerville, I'm sure alot of what is said now is for the benefit of ratings and all, but I wonder how he feels deep down about the very real possability that Tomlin could pass him in Lombardis won in only his third term in the same city.

Galax Steeler
11-14-2009, 03:50 AM
I'm sure if the Bengals had a siren to crank, Bill would be cranking away with his new set of chicklets.

I don't think I can handle the siren again I will be laughing my ass off.:rofl:

tmacsteelerfan
11-14-2009, 10:28 AM
That's weird become he always picks Pittsburgh on CBS to win.

WH
11-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Cheer for the Bengals like you cheered for the Hurricanes.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zDaqWol8MEc/Sh1YTBDVpcI/AAAAAAAAASQ/-JWkheux4fY/s400/assclown.jpg

OX1947
11-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Cowher has to be aware of his legacy here in steelerville, I'm sure alot of what is said now is for the benefit of ratings and all, but I wonder how he feels deep down about the very real possability that Tomlin could pass him in Lombardis won in only his third term in the same city.

Cowher had O'Donnell, Stewart, Maddox and Tomzcak for 13 of his 15 years. Give Cowher Big Ben in 1992, and Cowher probably wins a couple of Super Bowls in the 90's and another one in the 2000's.

WH
11-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Cowher had O'Donnell, Stewart, Maddox and Tomzcak for 13 of his 15 years. Give Cowher Big Ben in 1992, and Cowher probably wins a couple of Super Bowls in the 90's and another one in the 2000's.

Because it's QB on QB in the playoffs and superbowl.......

markymarc
11-15-2009, 09:40 AM
i feel like this will be another game where we expose a team for being worse than they really are

I am in complete agreement with that statement :tt02:

GoSlash27
11-15-2009, 10:07 AM
The Chin always has been and always will be a Steelers homer, just like every other commentator who has worn the Black 'n' Gold (with the exception of a couple who left the team under less-than-happy circumstances). It is this very reason that drives them to dog the team. They can't risk the perception that their objectivity is skewed, so they have to skew it the other way. :noidea: