PDA

View Full Version : More "World Gone Mad" News

revefsreleets
11-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Man arrested for paddling son...

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/69972307.html

By Associated Press
POSTED: 11:12 a.m. EST, Nov 13, 2009
HARRISON, OHIO: An Ohio man has been jailed on domestic violence charges after police say he excessively paddled his 10-year-old son.
Police in the Cincinnati suburb of Harrison say county children's services workers turned over their investigative findings and photos of alleged abuse. That led to the arrest Thursday night of 35-year-old Robert Gibson, who was being held without bond today. Court records do not list an attorney for him.
Police say Gibson used a homemade wooden paddle.

xfl2001fan
11-13-2009, 10:31 AM
That's why I only use my hands to spank my children. It gets the message across to them...and leaves no lasting (physical) impression!

revefsreleets
11-13-2009, 10:36 AM
These ridiculous Dr. Spock "Time out" policies are ruinous...

xfl2001fan
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
These ridiculous Dr. Spock "Time out" policies are ruinous...

It really depends on how bad the dad beat the kid. I have had some paddlings where I bled growing up from my father. I had to sand the handle down for him so that it wouldn't hurt his hand...and help drill the holes in it.

I spank my kids...and child services here knows about it...but because I don't bruise my kids...and because my kids are not actually afraid of me (just my anger/disappointment) they see no problems with it. (Somebody has called child services on my wife and I...they inspected, they respect us and how we raise our kids...we got free stuff out of it.)

stlrtruck
11-13-2009, 03:43 PM
It really depends on how bad the dad beat the kid. I have had some paddlings where I bled growing up from my father. I had to sand the handle down for him so that it wouldn't hurt his hand...and help drill the holes in it.

I spank my kids...and child services here knows about it...but because I don't bruise my kids...and because my kids are not actually afraid of me (just my anger/disappointment) they see no problems with it. (Somebody has called child services on my wife and I...they inspected, they respect us and how we raise our kids...we got free stuff out of it.)

kudos! :applaudit:

I too whip my youngest (only because I agreed with my wife not to physically discipline the other two she had before we met). She knows what the whoopin' paddle is for and she understands why she gets whoopin's.

I've never left a bruise except for on her ego!

MasterOfPuppets
11-13-2009, 03:56 PM
if the dude beat the kid enough that they were able to take photo evidence of it, then he should be in trouble...:noidea:

revefsreleets
11-13-2009, 03:58 PM
if the dude beat the kid enough that they were able to take photo evidence of it, then he should be in trouble...:noidea:

I had welts on my ass from some of the whuppings I took as a kid. My dad was not a criminal, nor did he abuse me...he just whupped me when i was bad.

Just like most dads have for thousands of years, and we've managed to turn out okay so far.

devilsdancefloor
11-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I used to use a ping pong paddle and pull back the rubber mess on non paddling side half way. It would sound like i big powerful swat, but really wasnt. I taught my children young and ive had almost 0 problems out of them

MasterOfPuppets
11-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I had welts on my ass from some of the whuppings I took as a kid. My dad was not a criminal, nor did he abuse me...he just whupped me when i was bad.

Just like most dads have for thousands of years, and we've managed to turn out okay so far.
well to be fair the article is pretty vague. without knowing the severity of the "injuries", inflicted, its hard to say if the arrest is justified or not. :noidea:

xfl2001fan
11-13-2009, 08:52 PM
well to be fair the article is pretty vague. without knowing the severity of the "injuries", inflicted, its hard to say if the arrest is justified or not. :noidea:

The one thing it did mention was that he was arrested for "excessive" paddling. Unless things are way different in Cincy than they are here in Columbus...I'm guessing it was fairly severe. I agree with you on this though...at the same time, I understand where Revs comes from.

In my case, my 10 year olds haven't had a spanking in 6-7 years...and it's been nearly 8 months for the 5 year old. They eventually learn that you really do mean business when you say you do...so long as you are willing to show them that you truly do mean business. Now my 2 and 3 year olds...they still get them. My boys are as hard headed as their mother. :P

Bng_Hevn
11-19-2009, 06:27 PM
For my 3 1/2 year old, timeouts work. He screams when he gets a timeout, he hates it more than anything. I guess if it ever wears off and he just stands there and doesn't care if he gets one, it will then be time to get a paddle.

I definitely got my share of beatings growing up which is one reason why I don't prefer the paddling, but at the same time, having a paddle or a belt hanging on the wall for intimidation would certainly go a long way.

Preacher
11-19-2009, 06:47 PM
kudos! :applaudit:

I too whip my youngest. Only because I agreed with my wife not to physically discipline the other two she had before we met- She knows what the whoopin' paddle is for and she understands why she gets whoopin's.

I've never left a bruise except for on her ego!

And how does your wife like her whoopin's? :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
11-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I had welts on my ass from some of the whuppings I took as a kid.

My dad was not a criminal, nor did he abuse me...he just whupped me when i was bad.

Really? Then why do you like a scaly sleestak in your avy? Are you telling me you were born that way? :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
11-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Seriously, my dad was old school and he spanked and whipped us a good bit.

World War II, depression era, you know the type. I NEVER ever resented him for doing that. He was a good man.

Although he wasn't perfect he did the did the best job he could to be a good father.

Though I have no problem with physically reprimanding children to a degree, we really don't reprimand our 9 year old that way any more. She is an incredibly good kid so we may punish her by not allowing her to do things, etc. but honestly, we have learned how to have as much impact on her by the manner in which we talk to her about what she does wrong than we would if we hit her.

I'm not saying that all kids can be "reasoned with" all the time. We've been fortunate.

stlrtruck
11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
And how does your wife like her whoopin's? :chuckle:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

It all depends if I take a full backswing or just a half one. Usually she's not to happy with them if I'm aggravated.

:buttkick:

Indo
11-20-2009, 01:25 PM
For my 3 1/2 year old, timeouts work. He screams when he gets a timeout, he hates it more than anything. I guess if it ever wears off and he just stands there and doesn't care if he gets one, it will then be time to get a paddle.

I definitely got my share of beatings growing up which is one reason why I don't prefer the paddling, but at the same time, having a paddle or a belt hanging on the wall for intimidation would certainly go a long way.

My mother was a genius!
She got one of those paddle-ball thingies where the rubber ball was stapled to the paddle with a long rubber-band, like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddle_ball

and she cut the ball off---leaving a very lethal paddle at her disposal

It only took her one or two times of pulling out "The Paddle" .

After that, she only had to walk into the kitchen and open the "Paddle Drawer"...

revefsreleets
11-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Yes, the very THREAT that my dad might have to give me a whoopin' was enough to scare the Bejesus outta me. And, yes, it was very MUCH a deterrent!

Now that I'm older and have walked a mile on the other side of the dense, I realize how awful a situation that was for my dad. Mom'd be at home totally fuming at what I did, and she'd level the threat of my dad whoopin' up on my ass, and if I persisted she was forced to carry the penalty out. So dad walks in from what might otherwise have been a really nice day at work and immediately be enlisted into paddling me. Most of the time he thought my transgressions were not as serious as my mom did, and sometimes he thought they were downright funny...but he still had to whup me!

Preacher
11-21-2009, 03:46 PM
:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

It all depends if I take a full backswing or just a half one. Usually she's not to happy with them if I'm aggravated.

:buttkick:

I figured you'd like that!