PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James plans to change jersey number...

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 05:37 PM
LeBron says that he doesnt think anybody in the NBA should wear the #23 out of respect of the best player ever Michael Jordan. He claims he will change his number to #6 (his Team USA #) starting next season...

What does anybody think about this?

Its up to LeBron if he wants to change his number, and it sounds like he will, he said so in his interview after the game last night, but should the NBA retire the #23 from ALL teams kinda like MLB did with Jackie Robinson and the #42?

I think MJ was the best player ever but im not sure if the entire NBA should retire the number.

SteelersinCA
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Not only will Lebron change his number, he'll be changing his jersey next year, it will no longer say Cavaliers.

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Not only will Lebron change his number, he'll be changing his jersey next year, it will no longer say Cavaliers.

Ok ok lol.......:offtopic:

Lets not turn this into a "What team will LeBron be on next year" thread :thumbsup:

SteelersinCA
11-13-2009, 08:38 PM
It was just a pot stir, my bad.:chuckle:

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 09:12 PM

No big deal lol nobody wants to talk about the question anyway so might as well talk about where he will be :chuckle:

tony hipchest
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM

no, like this-

so lebron is already asking the league to retire his number even before his career is half way through? :huh: talk about ego.

:stirthepot:

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 09:17 PM
no, like this-

so lebron is already asking the league to retire his number even before his career is half way through? :huh: talk about ego.

Yea and he is just saying it is for MJ which is a good cover up :uhh: lol

I think they shouldnt retire the #23 for the entire league and if LBJ wants to change then whatever.....

MACH1
11-13-2009, 09:19 PM
no, like this-

He's not even the best player in the league. Maybe they can retire his stat book. :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 09:20 PM
He's not even the best player in the league. Maybe they can retire his stat book. :chuckle:

Who would that be....and there is only one close answer btw....and i say close meaning close 2nd.

MACH1
11-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Who would that be....and there is only one close answer btw....and i say close meaning close 2nd.

Yep, LBJ is a distant second.

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 09:24 PM
About time he realizes there is only ONE number 23.

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep, LBJ is a distant second.

Nope, I know you mean Kobe( at least you should) and LeBron is just so much bigger phyiscally and this gives him a slight edge over kobe. LeBron is so much better at the age he is now then kobe was at his age (both came from high school and LBJ developed much quicker) Im not taking anything away from kobe at all... he has 4 rings and is a great player.

But for now LBJ is MVP!!!

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Nope, I know you mean Kobe( at least you should) and LeBron is just so much bigger phyiscally and this gives him a slight edge over kobe. LeBron is so much better at the age he is now then kobe was at his age (both came from high school and LBJ developed much quicker) Im not taking anything away from kobe at all... he has 4 rings and is a great player.

But for now LBJ is MVP!!!

When Kobe was 24, he already had 3 rings. :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 09:41 PM
When Kobe was 24, he already had 3 rings. :chuckle:

Also had shaq...which is what made the difference and shaq today is not like the shaq kobe had so i dont want to hear that arguement.

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Also had shaq...which is what made the difference and shaq today is not like the shaq kobe had so i dont want to hear that arguement.

Are you saying that they still would have won without Kobe?

Kobe just won ANOTHER ring, and NO Shaq!

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Are you saying that they still would have won without Kobe?

Kobe just won ANOTHER ring, and NO Shaq!

Yea and he cried to go get pau gasol which helped him win last year!!!

Listen in NO WAY am i degrading kobe and saying they would have won all those championships without kobe, but kobe has had more help then LeBron...you cant argue that at all, the talent helping kobe when he was Lebrons ages is probably 15 times better then what LBJ has....now all that has to do with rings

On another note as a player and stat wise down the road....LBJ will be better.

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Listen in NO WAY am i degrading kobe and saying they would have won all those championships without kobe, but kobe has had more help then LeBron...you cant argue that at all, the talent helping kobe when he was Lebrons ages is probably 15 times better then what LBJ has....now all that has to do with rings

Last season, the Cavs went 67-15. LBJ didn't win all those games by himself. He had a perennial center in Zeke, a defensive player of the year man in Ben Wallace, one of the best three point shooters in the league in Mo WIlliams, a rebounding machine in Varejo. This is a man who has had Drew Gooden, Carlos Boozer, Larry Hughes, he has played with talent.

And plus, the two conferences are not even comparable. The Lakers had to beat Utah, Houston, Denver to get the Finals.

The Cavs played the Hawks and depleted Pistons team. And it seems every other year, they play the Wizards in the playoffs. Its a killer to come out of the West. There aren't that many good teams in the East.

Kobe has to go up against much tougher teams night in and night out than LBJ.

MACH1
11-13-2009, 10:01 PM

So now your putting Gasol in the same league as shaq? phlease

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 10:02 PM
So now your putting Gasol in the same league as shaq? phlease

No im putting him in the league of better help then LBJ has EVER had...:coffee:

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:07 PM
And let's not forget Delonte West. They were one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the league. LBJ might be a beast, but if he doesn't win with:

Zeke
Shaq
Parker
West
Williams
Varajeo
Gibson

AND coming out of the East?

For years, its been "he has no help."

How much more help does he need?

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Last season, the Cavs went 67-15. LBJ didn't win all those games by himself. He had a perennial center in Zeke, a defensive player of the year man in Ben Wallace, one of the best three point shooters in the league in Mo WIlliams, a rebounding machine in Varejo. This is a man who has had Drew Gooden, Carlos Boozer, Larry Hughes, he has played with talent.

And plus, the two conferences are not even comparable. The Lakers had to beat Utah, Houston, Denver to get the Finals.

The Cavs played the Hawks and depleted Pistons team. And it seems every other year, they play the Wizards in the playoffs. Its a killer to come out of the West. There aren't that many good teams in the East.

Kobe has to go up against much tougher teams night in and night out than LBJ.

1. Regualar season conference dont matter all teams play each other

2. Wallace barley play last year gooden and hughes sucks and yes boozer is good but has gotten better in utah so he wasnt playing at his best in cleveland

3. Even if all those players were good none of them compare to kobes list

LBJ: Gooden, Boozer, hughes, mo, Z, varjeo, west, shaq (old version),

vs.

Kobe: (Early days) younger awesome shaq, fisher, horry, (Now) Gasol, Bynum, Fisher, artest,

Those are just a few, but you can see kobes teams have been better no matter how you swing it and LBJ last year DID IT ALL in the playoffs cause is best partner williams was non existent during the playoffs last year and that is why they fell apart in the playoffs....his so called "support" collapsed on him

He needs the help nobody can do it on their own, its just my opinion kobe has had alot more help then LBJ

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:13 PM
1. Regualar season conference dont matter all teams play each other

2. Wallace barley play last year gooden and hughes sucks and yes boozer is good but has gotten better in utah so he wasnt playing at his best in cleveland

3. Even if all those players were good none of them compare to kobes list

LBJ: Gooden, Boozer, hughes, mo, Z, varjeo, west, shaq (old version),

vs.

Kobe: (Early days) younger awesome shaq, fisher, horry, (Now) Gasol, Bynum, Fisher, artest,

Those are just a few, but you can see kobes teams have been better no matter how you swing it and LBJ last year DID IT ALL in the playoffs cause is best partner williams was non existent during the playoffs last year and that is why they fell apart in the playoffs....his so called "support" collapsed on him

He needs the help nobody can do it on their own, its just my opinion kobe has had alot more help then LBJ

Which brings me back to my question:

Zeke
Shaq
Parker
West
Williams
Varajeo
Gibson

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:15 PM
And you say Boozer wasn't playing his best in Cleveland.

That's why Utah wanted him so bad. That's why he got HUGE HUGE money from them! Because of the player he was in Cleveland!

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 10:15 PM
And let's not forget Delonte West. They were one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the league. LBJ might be a beast, but if he doesn't win with:

Zeke
Shaq
Parker
West
Williams
Varajeo
Gibson

AND coming out of the East?

For years, its been "he has no help."

The only help on that list is Varajeo and Willams the other guys (Gibson, west, parker, shaq) are role players and Z just is old and slow and quite frankly needs to retire....

where is revs when you need him??? :rofl: :rofl:

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:18 PM
The only help on that list is Varajeo and Willams the other guys (Gibson, west, parker, shaq) are role players and Z just is old and slow and quite frankly needs to retire....

where is revs when you need him??? :rofl: :rofl:

Gibson, west, parker, shaq are no help? lol

They just got Parker from Toronto to come HELP LBJ!

That's all Kobe has are ROLE players! Gasol, Odom, Fisher, Artest, all role players.

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Gibson and West are two reasons they were one of the best three pt shooting teams last yr!!

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 10:19 PM
And you say Boozer wasn't playing his best in Cleveland.

That's why Utah wanted him so bad. That's why he got HUGE HUGE money from them! Because of the player he was in Cleveland!

Umm so he hasnt been better in utah...i said boozer was the best on that list...but one good player doesnt match all of the good players kobe has had to help.

The reason the cavs were so good last year was because of the guys they brought in like mo and west but steelboy...they....choked....in.....the....playoff s!!!

LBJ had to pretty much do it all in the playoffs because they all helped him get there but couldnt finish....mo played the worse he did all year during the biggest time of the year....he has help now yes but the reason they didnt win last year is that help left him but so far this year they dont look too bad....

Your right by saying hes had help but still not as good as kobe and kobes guys never choked on the biggest stage

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Umm so he hasnt been better in utah...i said boozer was the best on that list...but one good player doesnt match all of the good players kobe has had to help.

The reason the cavs were so good last year was because of the guys they brought in like mo and west but steelboy...they....choked....in.....the....playoff s!!!

LBJ had to pretty much do it all in the playoffs because they all helped him get there but couldnt finish....mo played the worse he did all year during the biggest time of the year....he has help now yes but the reason they didnt win last year is that help left him but so far this year they dont look too bad....

Your right by saying hes had help but still not as good as kobe and kobes guys never choked on the biggest stage

2008 vs. Boston

They choked.

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Gibson and West are two reasons they were one of the best three pt shooting teams last yr!!

what they do in the playoffs??

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Gibson, west, parker, shaq are no help? lol

They just got Parker from Toronto to come HELP LBJ!

That's all Kobe has are ROLE players! Gasol, Odom, Fisher, Artest, all role players.

DUDE YOU CAN NOT TELL ME KOBE HASNT HAD IT EASIER THEN LEBRON THERE IS NO WAY!!!

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:23 PM
what they do in the playoffs??

They were good enough to beat the Hawks and Pistons.

They ran into a buzzsaw against Orlando. lol

Let's not forget. Game 2 vs Orlando, LBJ was off the ENTIRE 4th quarter. Who kept him in the game so he could have a CHANCE for that last shot?

His teammates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:25 PM
LBJ didn't go 67-15.

CLEVELAND went 67-15.

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 10:27 PM
They were good enough to beat the Hawks and Pistons.

They ran into a buzzsaw against Orlando. lol

Let's not forget. Game 2 vs Orlando, LBJ was off the ENTIRE 4th quarter. Who kept him in the game so he could have a CHANCE for that last shot?

His teammates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBJ finished it off though..... the cavs are good no doubt he does have some help...what im saying is at LBJ's age kobe had better help....but i wasnt even talking about rings to begin with lol as far as players i still think James is better.

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM
LBJ finished it off though..... the cavs are good no doubt he does have some help...what im saying is at LBJ's age kobe had better help....but i wasnt even talking about rings to begin with lol as far as players i still think James is better.

But he wouldn't have had that chance without..........................his teammates!

And people will say LBJ is so much better than Kobe. If that's the case, then why aren't LBJ's stats high and above Kobe's?

2008-09 stats:

LBJ:

48% from the field

34.4% from 3

78% FT

7.6 boards

7.3 assists

1.7 steals

1.2 blocks

28.4 PPG

Kobe:

46.7% from the field

35.1% from 3

85.6% FT

5.2 rebounds

4.9 assists

1.5 steals

0.5 blocks

26.8 PPG

So since LBJ is so much better, his numbers should FAR surpass Kobe's since LBJ accounts for more of his team's production, right?

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Only ONE year in Kobe's career has he played in the weaker conference, and that was in 1997-98.

Every other year, he has played in the TOUGHER conference. LBJ has ALWAYS played in the easier conference.

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Only ONE year in Kobe's career has he played in the weaker conference, and that was in 1997-98.

Every other year, he has played in the TOUGHER conference. LBJ has ALWAYS played in the easier conference.

True that really only matters in the playoffs, arguing better players and talent is better then that, not trying to tick you off or anything just saying I like LBJ better, i have stood 10 feet away from him! lol and hes from my homestate!!! But all that aside IMO he is the best player in the NBA.

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 10:51 PM
True that really only matters in the playoffs, arguing better players and talent is better then that, not trying to tick you off or anything just saying I like LBJ better, i have stood 10 feet away from him! lol and hes from my homestate!!! But all that aside IMO he is the best player in the NBA.

lol

Its all good man. Everyone has their opinion on the best. Some say Kobe, some say LBJ, some will even say D-Wade.

tony hipchest
11-13-2009, 10:56 PM
but only one will petition to have the league retire their own number half way through their career.

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 11:05 PM
but only one will petition to have the league retire their own number half way through their career.

:bs:

thats not why he said that

btw congrats on 25,000 lol

Nadroj 20
11-13-2009, 11:06 PM
lol

Its all good man. Everyone has their opinion on the best. Some say Kobe, some say LBJ, some will even say D-Wade.

Yep and all 3 are good choices

Steelboy84
11-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I think D-Wade got screwed out of the MVP last year. He should have gotten it.

MACH1
11-14-2009, 12:09 AM

Tell me that after he scores 81 in a game.

xfl2001fan
11-14-2009, 08:30 AM

There's more to basketball than just scoring.

To go back through the history of these posts:

One poster compares Lebron in his 5th/6th season to Kobe in his 5th/6th season...and the counter argument to that is to compare Lebron last year to Kobe last year (despite the 5+ year difference in the NBA).

Kobe has played with better teammates.

Larry Hughes was a bust of a signing.
Boozer was a talented bonehead.
Shaq is waaay past his prime...as is Z.
Delonte is now a headcase (and last year, he was the Cavs best player not named Lebron).
Mo Williams disappeared in the playoffs (not just Orlando). No matter how good he was last season, he didn't come close to matching that performance when it counted.
Parker/Moon are on the wrong side of 30...and had already shown decline when they were brought in.
Ben Wallace is a former DPoY...but he hardly played like it last year...even when he was healthy. His defense was not good enough to make up for his lack of an offensive game.
Varejao is a pretty decent and very active player, but hardly on the same level as Pau Gasol, who is a true All-Star caliber player.

Kobe plays with better talent, period.

If Kobe and Lebron were removed from the Lakers (this year and last)

Bynum (when healthy) is better than Shaq or Z.
Gasol is better than any Cavs Big. It's not even close.
Lamar Odom is better than any Cavs bench player. Better than some of our starters too.
Ariza is not better than West...but West is undersized and Orlando was able to exploit that matchup. Artest is better than West.
Fisher is not better than Williams, but in the playoffs, Fisher stepped up, Mo hid.

If Bynum is out, starting lineups would look sth like:

Gasol
Odom
Artest
Brown/Vujacic
Fisher/Farmar

vs

Shaq
Varejao (or even Hickson, since he seems to be getting the starts lately)
Moon
Parker
Williams

Who here really believes that Cleveland would win with that lineup? Williams barely made the All-Star Roster...after a couple of other guys were injured and couldn't play in the game...which lets you know what the rest of the league really believes of him.

I'd take Lebron who (despite playing with Lottery team level of talent) has always tried to include his teammates...always looked to make the smart basketball play (drive to the hoop and kick it out to the wide open shooters). As opposed to the guy who scores 81. Kobe is a great player, just doesn't play my preferred style of basketball. Kobe has always had better talent than Lebron...especially in his championship years. Unless of course you believe the team above would really make any noise in the playoffs.

Nadroj 20
11-14-2009, 08:36 AM

Your right because of that one preformance kobe is the BEST (sarcasm smily)

Michael Jordan never even did that

Want to know why LBJ may never score 81 points in a game?

LBJ: 25 triple doubles in 481 career reg. season games

Kobe: 16 Triple doubles in 957 career reg season games

LBJ does more then just shoot it every time (which when kobe scored 81 he didnt like his team and he did shoot all the time)
He is a more willing passer now, but LBJ is a better passer.

KeiselPower99
11-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Jordan was great but the NBA shouldnt retire it. It should be done out of respect by the players. Kinda like 12 58 and 75 are not officially retired by the Steelers but are no longer in circulation.

SteelersinCA
11-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I see my :stirthepot: succeeded :flap: to all you haters!! :rofl:

This thread reminds me of one about 7-8 months ago. Warms the heart in preparation for the holiday season!!

revefsreleets
11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Aha...lured back in again.

Not me.

No on retiring #23 unless you retire Bird and Magic's #'s too...

xfl2001fan
11-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Aha...lured back in again.

Not me.

No on retiring #23 unless you retire Bird and Magic's #'s too...

And that would set up a whole mess of confusion as well. Probably the biggest difference in the whole Bird/Magic era to the MJ era is that MJ didn't have his Bird/Magic to compete against. There just wasn't anybody there that he could compete against individually. Then, there was this void after MJ left that couldn't be filled by one or two people. It took Kobe a couple of years to get going...and the Jordan "Image" was so huge, that nobody could live up to it. At least now, there's the Kobe/Lebron thing. Wade (if he remains healthy this year) will be back in that picture and Howard is another young player with huge upside. CP3 is considered an elite player...and Melo appears to be moving up the charts now that Denver is looking relevant.

MJ just played in an era (essentially) alone...and while some of that did have to do with his own greatness, I think that if Kobe/Lebron had come into the league when MJ did...there'd be less talk about retiring his number...because he would have legit competition for being the #1 player in his era.

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I said Bird/Magic because the league was foundering at the time and their rivalry (coming out of college and continuing throughout their NBA careers) did much to revive interest in the league.