PDA

View Full Version : "...especially now that my son is a true Pittsburgher."

Vincent
11-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Didn't see this posted.

Sounds like Troy considers Pittsburgh his home now. Read the last sentence. Those arenít the words of a man looking to bolt at the end of his contract.

http://www.wqed.org/mag/features/0809/troy-polamalu-pittsburgh-steelers-safety3.php

http://www.wqed.org/mag/img/2007/magalogotop.gif

http://www.wqed.org/mag/features/0809/polamalu3.jpg

on Football...

Let's talk about your summer training schedule. The California vibe is so different from Pittsburgh, and your training is different from your teammates'. What you do works for you because you show up at training camp shipshape, and coach Mike Tomlin is cool with it. Why do you choose to train in California?

California is a great atmosphere for training. First of all, being able to train in sunshine is a blessing. There's so much energy out here, kind of a rat-race mentality. When I come here, my mind flips into that mode. I'm part of that rat race. I grasp onto it to push me in training. Also, I have a revolutionary trainer in Marv Marinovich out here.

You've been training with him since your USC days. What makes his training regime unique?

He's got the gift to be able to look at a body and know what it needs. Other trainers are starting to adapt his revolutionary style that includes flexibility, strength, speed, balance. When people see the workout, they say it looks weird, but it correlates. A hack squat or bench press can never really correlate to a real athletic movement in a sport, but put a squat or bench into a plyometric movement or some appropriate action within it, then it correlates.

As an athlete, your life is your body. You have to know what your weak points are. I've become very sensitive to how my body reacts to certain supplements, certain foods. The only person I've ever entrusted that to is Marvin. He's the only person who could tell me, "Troy, stop eating that and start eating this," or "Troy, you're beat. Go home and get some rest," or "Troy, this new [machine] you're doing is not good for you. Stop doing it." I work out three to four hours every morning, then I do a 15-minute session before I go to bed.

Is Marv your nutrition wiz as well?

No question, and he's not a trainer who tells me to eat healthy then goes and eats Whoppers and drinks soda. He's more strict on his diet than anybody I've ever seen. He hasn't eaten an unhealthy thing in 50 years.

What does he espouse? Vegan? Raw?

He's not totally vegan, and he does eat a lot of raw foods. He encourages me to do this and to eat organic. But he also knows that within my mind, it's important for me to have a release; so he'll say go ahead and have a little junk food here and there, just know that when it comes time to crack down, you have to crack down. He understands the psychology of an athlete. If I train too much, he'll say, "Troy, you need to get a life!"
So he's a nutritionist, a sports physiologist and a psychologist.

And that's important. Thank God he's gotten me to this point where I'm able to play my seventh NFL season [this year].

Anything new in your training this year?

I spoke with Olympic gold-medal decathlete Bryan Clay at a Nike symposium. I approached him with a lot of questions about training and really took in what he had to say, because decathletes have to do every move and coordinate every energy system from sprints to hurdles to long jump, high jump, pole vault. An athlete like that can play in every sport.

Last season was pretty spectacular, with the Super Bowl win and everything leading up to it. It seems as if you allowed yourself to relax and enjoy this win more than Super Bowl XL.

This year was amazing in that way. It was a fun year for our whole team. We never had the burden of having to win the Super Bowl. Coach Tomlin is the best in that way. He's like my trainer. He's everything - a psychologist and a great coach. He prepares us by pushing or relaxing our team at just the right times. He has the maturity in his second year of coaching that coach Cowher had in his later years.

[B]Take me back to that AFC Championship game against the Baltimore Ravens when you made that fourth-quarter interception return for a touchdown.

It was awesome. To experience something like that in front of your own fans is a gift from God really. It was exciting for me personally because it was the first game that my son had come to watch me play and the first game my wife had attended in a while. As soon as I crossed the end zone, I pointed at them. I was so happy for my son. I couldn't believe he was able to experience that. So when he sees [the reel] someday, I can say, "See that, son? I'm pointing right at you and your mom."

It seems as if professional football is a great forum for being able to feel the full range of emotions as a human being - everything from bliss to anguish - so intensely, and the world is watching. Is that part of the appeal and what gives you such passion for the sport?

Yeah, you do feel the whole range.

Athletes who are involved in physical sports such as hockey or mixed martial arts ride the emotional highs and lows, as well as the physical highs and lows. It's a long fight, a full season. You go through major injury after major injury. It's like, ah man, my Achilles has been messed up for four weeks straight, then all of a sudden my left knee is bothering me. My Achilles is not healed yet, but I'm thinking about my left knee because that's the worst thing at the moment, then it's my right shoulder.

You move through these pains throughout the season. That's probably why the worst fans of football are the players' wives. It's like, "Man, this sucks. My husband is hurting all the time." And it's no fun for them to experience either.

Any personal goals for this season?

During these two Super Bowls, honestly, my experience wasn't so much of being happy for myself, like oh, I finally got it. I've always been happy for my teammates. These guys are so passionate about football and being Pittsburgh Steelers. The joy for me is seeing my teammates have that fulfillment. To see them experience that again this year is obviously the pull we all have.

How about those Pens?

When I was watching the final Stanley Cup game, my heart was pounding - with 15 minutes in the game and we're up by two. That's too much time! Hockey is the greatest spectator sport ever. It's nonstop action. In the last minutes, holding my son in front of the TV, I said, "Son, you're going to watch history right now." I was so nervous. It was crazy! I can honestly tell you I was more nervous in those final moments than I was sitting on the sidelines in Tampa. Sid and Evgeni - they're so young, it's like having LeBron [James] and Kobe in Pittsburgh - then to see them win it! That's why Pittsburghers are so passionate about sports. [B]We have these teams that do well.

Back in the day, there were always championships that came through this city, even with the Buccos. Now, hopefully, that tradition will start up again - especially now that my son is a true Pittsburgher.

stb_steeler
11-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Troy is awesome all around.......:tt02:

iloveben7
11-13-2009, 08:49 PM
how can you not love Troy?

stillers4me
11-13-2009, 09:50 PM
How blessed are we to have great men like Troy in Pittsburgh?

Milkman
11-13-2009, 10:11 PM
I love that guy.

4xSBChamps
11-14-2009, 05:37 AM
I believe his personal trainer Marv Marinovich, is the father of former Raider QB Todd, who washed-out after a few seasons in the early '90s

AllD
11-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Probably the best safety to ever play the game and that is a fact.

HometownGal
11-14-2009, 07:13 AM
What a totally awesome read - thank you! :applaudit::thumbsup:

It is quite obvious from the article that Troy loves the Burgh as much as the Burgh loves him. :drink: As stillers so correctly posted above - we are truly blessed to have this dynamic player and person as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt03:

Texasteel
11-14-2009, 07:57 AM
How blessed are we to have great men like Troy in Pittsburgh?

It didn't happen by accident. The Chief and his family were and are class people and worked hard to surround themselves by class men and women.:tt02:

Even the fans, well most of us.

Shoes
11-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Nice read Vincent...thanks.

I thought this statement from Troy was interesting. Goes to show you don't have to scream and holler to get good results.

"Coach Tomlin is the best in that way. He's like my trainer. He's everything - a psychologist and a great coach. He prepares us by pushing or relaxing our team at just the right times. He has the maturity in his second year of coaching that coach [Bill] Cowher had in his later years."

klick81
11-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Great read. Thanks for posting this!

mesaSteeler
11-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Good find, Thanks for posting.

WHODEY85
11-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Nice read Vincent...thanks.

I thought this statement from Troy was interesting. Goes to show you don't have to scream and holler to get good results.

"Coach Tomlin is the best in that way. He's like my trainer. He's everything - a psychologist and a great coach. He prepares us by pushing or relaxing our team at just the right times. He has the maturity in his second year of coaching that coach [Bill] Cowher had in his later years."

This kids a joke. All talk no play

Steelboy84
11-14-2009, 10:55 AM
This kids a joke. All talk no play

:troll:

Psyychoward86
11-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Take me back to that AFC Championship game against the Baltimore Ravens when you made that fourth-quarter interception return for a touchdown.

It was awesome. To experience something like that in front of your own fans is a gift from God really. It was exciting for me personally because it was the first game that my son had come to watch me play and the first game my wife had attended in a while. As soon as I crossed the end zone, I pointed at them. I was so happy for my son. I couldn't believe he was able to experience that. So when he sees [the reel] someday, I can say, "See that, son? I'm pointing right at you and your mom."

Awww, that's sweet

solardave
11-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Troy is awesome all around.......:tt02:

My Niece manages a store in Pittsburgh and Troy's wife comes in a lot. He has been in with her and she says they are 2 of the nicest people you'd want to meet.
Also a small town near where I grew up was having a Greek festival. Since Troy's wife is Greek the man organizing the event sent them an invitation, never expecting to see them there but kind of out of respect. Not only did they show up but Troy said he'd like to be back the following year. We all know what he can do on the field but as a person he's even greater.:applaudit:

4xSBChamps
11-14-2009, 07:29 PM
My best-friends' 7 year-old daughter lost a 2+ year-long battle with Leukemia, but before she passed, she was visited by Polamalu

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/NikkiDenikerTroyPolamalu.jpg

steelerchad
11-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I believe his personal trainer Marv Marinovich, is the father of former Raider QB Todd, who washed-out after a few seasons in the early '90s

You are correct. He is his father.
It was said how Todd was groomed and trained his entire life to be a QB. He may have failed due to burnout, or maybe he just wasn't that naturally good and he only made it as far as he did because of his training.

SMR
11-14-2009, 10:27 PM
My best-friends' 7 year-old daughter lost a 2+ year-long battle with Leukemia, but before she passed, she was visited by Polamalu

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/NikkiDenikerTroyPolamalu.jpg

Wow, I am so sorry about your best friend's daughter. At least it's really nice and touching that Troy helped somewhat in making the girl smile a bit more in the pic.

Troy, what a true gentleman and player.
:hatsoff:

ChrisKemoFan
11-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Yep, he is, and the reason he washed-out was not because he wasn't a good enough football player, it was because of the way his father pushed him, it was too much.