PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season game in Mexico

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 04:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=afp-amfootnflmexcardinals&prov=afp&type=lgns

Looks like the 49ers and cards could be playing im mexico city. Man, talk about jet lag ! :rolleyes:

JerseySTEEL
03-16-2005, 12:42 AM
first nascar now nfl hehe.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-16-2005, 12:44 AM
i know the rooney's loved going over to ireland several years ago for that preseason game. so it wouldnt surprise me to see more of this in the future, all over the world.

JerseySTEEL
03-16-2005, 12:45 AM
ya did u hera the nfl guy taglibo or somthing saying, he wants games over in china .

ironcitychef
03-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Am I reading this right? Move it from AZ where its "too hot" further south to Mexico City? Isn't that closer to the equator? Just call it like it is...Cards vs. 49ers would be likely to draw 10,000 early in the season. They could get 50,000 to show up in Mexico just to watch the coin toss.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-16-2005, 11:20 AM
just dont drink the water :lol:

clevestinks
03-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Not to offend anyone, but I`m against it. This is the National Football League, evryone worried about terrorism and everything. Fans deserve to see their games at home. We don`t need a Mexican fan base. Football there is soccer. Stay North of the border.

madrax
03-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Not to offend anyone, but I`m against it. This is the National Football League, evryone worried about terrorism and everything. Fans deserve to see their games at home. We don`t need a Mexican fan base. Football there is soccer. Stay North of the border.

Well I live in Mexico City, the stadium where this game will be played is a half hour from my house and a couple things:

1) In the autumn, it's hotter in Arizona than in Mexico City. In fact, it might be raining on gameday.

2) There's no terrorism in Mexico. Get your facts straight; there's more terrorism in the US than in Mexico.

3) Jet lag is a non-issue; it's a 5 hour flight from SF and a 4 hour flight from Phoenix, plus Mexico City is in the Central time zone.

4) Not all Mexicans are into soccer. I was born and raised here and have been a diehard Steelers fan for 30 years.

5) There is already a HUGE Mexican fan base, especially for the Steelers, Cowboys and Raiders.

6) The stadium here holds over 100,000 people; when the Steelers played the Colts in a preseason game a few years back, it was the single largest attendance for an NFL game. The damn cardinals can barely get butts in the stadium; you think they're gonna turn down the opportunity to make bank on 100,000 people?

Just a few thoughts.

clevestinks
03-16-2005, 06:26 PM
My point wasn`t that there is more terrorism in Mexico, my point is we are able to protect our own more here than anywhere else. So shove your facts. Like I said it wasn`t meant to offend anyone. It was my opinion. I thought we were allowed that.

madrax
03-16-2005, 08:53 PM
My point wasn`t that there is more terrorism in Mexico, my point is we are able to protect our own more here than anywhere else. So shove your facts. Like I said it wasn`t meant to offend anyone. It was my opinion. I thought we were allowed that.

Again... protect them from WHAT? There is no danger in them coming down to Mexico, at least no more danger than anywhere in the US. And then you say you don't mean to offend, but you tell me to "shove" my facts? Whatever, dude. Stay in your own little american-centric xenophobic flag-waving little world, man.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-16-2005, 09:43 PM
The NFL is bent and determined to increase the fan base worldwide. And especially w/ the latino culture, as well as overseas in europe. Dont look for this to end anytime soon. The NFL is the biggest corporation in the world, they've already dominated the US, and now its time for Global domination. ;)

ironcitychef
03-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Uh just to ease the tension...thanks for the weather fact. Pretty cool, who'd a thunk it. I guess I'll just stick to cooking.:chef: . My only point is that why not do this with Indy and NE opening weekend instead of with the worst team from last year and the team with the worst home attendance. Sounds like we just need to make a buck. Also, since your're in Mexico what are the rough percentages of fan bases down there? I heard we represent pretty well.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
nothing wrong w/ ur opinion chef, dont sweat it. :cool: But u bring up a valid point that 2 of the NFL's worst teams from 2004 will be playing in a totally new country representing us. definately alittle odd.

madrax
03-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Uh just to ease the tension...thanks for the weather fact. Pretty cool, who'd a thunk it. I guess I'll just stick to cooking.:chef: . My only point is that why not do this with Indy and NE opening weekend instead of with the worst team from last year and the team with the worst home attendance. Sounds like we just need to make a buck. Also, since your're in Mexico what are the rough percentages of fan bases down there? I heard we represent pretty well.

Chef,

I believe you answered your own question. They wouldn't bring NE vs Indy because that's a guaranteed sellout in Indy or Foxboro (don't know where it's being played). The Cardinals have a LONG history of attendance problems, and I'm sure the schedule makers saw "49ers at Arizona" on the schedule and figured maybe half a dozen people would show up.

If you bring that same game to Mexico City you would sell it out. Yes, they're just trying to make a buck. They probably chose the game with least likely attendance because they know we're starved for NFL action down here.

As for % of fan bases, this is a rough estimate (keep in mind that this is not the general population, just the football fans):

Steelers 35%
Cowboys 35%
Raiders 15%
and the last 15% shared by Dolphins, 49ers, Broncos and a few others

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2005, 11:41 AM
what is it w/ the cowpokes.. even when they suck, people still see that star on their lids and think they are some sort of gods.. :chair: :crazy01: :yuck:

clevestinks
03-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Madrax,
Just to end it once and for all. I wasn`t speaking of Mexican terrorist, I meant middle eastern terrorist looking at a large group of Americans outside of the U.S. and not protected as well as if they were home. Its obvious that our government always increases security around large events, in and out of the U.S. so they feel threatened, so why shouldn`t we.
I didn`t mean to offend you or anyone else in anyway. If you were offend , I do apologize. And thats all I have to say on the matter.

madrax
03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
what is it w/ the cowpokes.. even when they suck, people still see that star on their lids and think they are some sort of gods.. :chair: :crazy01: :yuck:

What happened is that the NFL exported its product to Mexico during the 70s, and as a result of that, the most popular teams here remain those which were big back then: Pittsburgh, Dallas, Oakland, Miami. The 80s brought a new generation of fans (49ers, Broncos, etc) but the original big 3 remain strong.

There's a Dallas Cowboys radio network down here that broadcasts every game in Spanish; the Steelers recently announced they will also be doing radio broadcasts in Spanish for Mexican radio.

Not a day goes by down here where I'm not walking down the street and I see somebody sporting Steelers or Cowboys gear. In fact, you've probably heard that at the Pit-Dal game this past season it seemed like a Steelers home game; many of those fans arrived from mexico, including myself.

Madrax,
Just to end it once and for all. I wasn`t speaking of Mexican terrorist, I meant middle eastern terrorist looking at a large group of Americans outside of the U.S. and not protected as well as if they were home. Its obvious that our government always increases security around large events, in and out of the U.S. so they feel threatened, so why shouldn`t we.
I didn`t mean to offend you or anyone else in anyway. If you were offend , I do apologize. And thats all I have to say on the matter.

No offense taken. But to be honest, there's always many Americans, both prominent and anonymous at any given moment in Mexico. Condoleeeeeezzza Rice and Paris Hilton were here a couple weeks ago (just to name a couple crappy examples LOL). My brother works in the tourism industry in Cozumel and he's around hordes of American tourists every day.

My point is they're in no more danger than anywhere in the US. Besides, if Al-Qaeda were to attack the game in Mexico City it would be an attack on not just the US but Mexico as well; there's no reason for them to do that, because Mexico did not support the US invasion of Iraq; in fact, the mexican gov't pronounced itself against the intervention. Al-Qaeda would NOT want another enemy for no reason.

Anyway, I won't be going to the game; I can't stand either team (lived in the Bay Area for 5 years).

GO STEELERS!

HinesWard4Life8682
03-17-2005, 04:53 PM
ay man why u gotta be racist madrax and cleve... im from the middle east... lebanese to be exact.
it hurts when u make fun of my culture and people. Why do u guys judge and stereo type other muslims and arabs because of a couple stupid people. A bunch of other countries have terrorists. How do you think it feels when Isreal invaded Lebanon and the UN said it was ok? My grandfather died protecting my country and he was a so called "terrorist". Man it hurts alot and thats all i gotta say bro. I kno this has nothing to do witht the steelers and its politics but it really sucks because muslims are good people too. What if i call u guys terrorists?

madrax
03-17-2005, 05:17 PM
ay man why u gotta be racist madrax and cleve... im from the middle east... lebanese to be exact.
it hurts when u make fun of my culture and people. Why do u guys judge and stereo type other muslims and arabs because of a couple stupid people. A bunch of other countries have terrorists. How do you think it feels when Isreal invaded Lebanon and the UN said it was ok? My grandfather died protecting my country and he was a so called "terrorist". Man it hurts alot and thats all i gotta say bro. I kno this has nothing to do witht the steelers and its politics but it really sucks because muslims are good people too. What if i call u guys terrorists?

Hines,

Before this turns into a political thread, let me make a couple of observations:

1) Please point out exactly where in my posts I was racist, or where I made fun of your culture and people, or where I judged and stereotyped muslims.

2) Believe me, I am very strongly anti-war and I believe that the largest proliferators of mass destruction and terrorism worldwide are the United States themselves. I'm not going to get into details, but their genocides in Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East have left a wake of devastation; and attacks on the US by "terrorists" (or freedom fighters, depending on which newspaper you read) are simply the result of oppressed poor people being sick and tired of being exploited by the industrialized nations.

2a) Al-Qaeda arose thanks in large part to the US, who in the early 80s funded them as "freedom fighters" so they could fend off the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. But, like many other covert projects, this is one that has come back to bite them in the ass. We all know that the BinLadens and the Bush family are VERY close, but that's another story...

3) the American sponsorship of Israel ($40B in military aid per year) is a horrific crime that goes unmentioned far too often. These 40 billion bucks a year go almost exclusively towards the genocide of the Palestinian people.

4) for the past 3 and a half years the perceived "terror threat" has been much greater than the actual terror threat; this is because the Bush administration has taken a few pages out of the 3rd reich's propaganda book to keep the population in fear of attacks; this way they can do things like pass the Patriot Act without a lot of people complaining: just read this quote by Hermann Goering, the reich's Gestapo chief, at the Nuremberg trials:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

Sounds to me a LOT like what happened in the US in late 2001, early 2002.

5) I sympathize with you, Hines. In fact, I moved back from the US to Mexico after Bush stole the election again because I didn't want to live in that country under that president anymore.

Anyway, I could go on and on but this isn't the forum. Just let me make it clear that at no point was I racist or making fun of muslims. Please point out where I was like that.

Oh, and yeah.... go Steelers!

Peace

HinesWard4Life8682
03-17-2005, 06:10 PM
ok my bad thanks

i just get mad whenever i hear the word terrorist. After septtember 11, when ever i go on the news i see muslim terrorists or something and it just frustrates me

sry madrax

clevestinks
03-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Hines,
I am not a racist, and I am offended to think that anyone would think I was. Yes I am against Middle Eastern terrorists, not Middle Eastern people. yes against terrorist from anywhere. I have a good friend from Syria in my Steelers fan club. my sister in law is engaged to a Eygptian/Lebanese. I have another friend from Lebanon, and I like everything about him except that he is a brownies fan. Hell my wife is Asian born in Vietnam, which makes my daughter half asian. There are bad in all races, cultures, countries, etc. Those are whom I`m against.
I apologizes for getting this whole thing started, i think I did. We need to all meet for a Rolling Rock before a game. To all my Steelers brothers and sisters. Luv Ya all