PDA

View Full Version : Another Troy story

Vincent
11-14-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know if this was posted because it was a few years back. The link is dead.

It's one of my favorite Troy stories, and it further quietly displays what this man is all about.

http://www.trojanwire.com/football/troy-polamalu/
Troy Polamalu is, unquestionably, The Man

Kyle Bunch, TrojanWire

How's this story about Super Bowl champion Troy Polamalu, via Chuck Klosterman:

I have a friend named Ellen Shafer, and she knows nothing about football. A few months ago, she traveled to Pittsburgh to see a play; while she was there, Ellen went to a restaurant with a British woman who knows even less about football then she does. They found themselves seated directly next to a man and a woman who were polite and soft-spoken; the man was swarthy, handsome, and had very long hair.

Much to Ellen's surprise, strangers constantly walked up to this unknown man and asked for his autograph. At first, Ellen assumed this person must be a rock star; he looked a little like Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett. But after awhile, Ellen deduced this fellow must be a professional football player, because so many of his admirers mentioned admiration for his ability to hit people with extreme prejudice.

Eventually, Ellen introduced herself. "I have no idea who you are," she said, "but your wife has amazing shoes." This statement made the long-haired man very happy. He introduced himself: He said his name was Troy Polamalu.

For the next hour, these four people made casual conversation, never discussing sports or celebrity. Ellen found him to be amazingly friendly and relentlessly humble.

Eventually, the long-haired man (and his wife) exited the restaurant. Ellen and her friend chatted about how affable the pair had been, and how cool it was that Mr. Polamalu had seem so legitimately interested in their own boring lives.

Ellen and her friend signaled the waiter for the check, curious about how much money they owed. But when the waiter came over to their table, he told them everything was taken care of: The long-haired stranger had quietly paid the totality of their bill.

Congrats to Polamalu and the Steelers. Celebrate like a champ tonight Troy--you certainly earned it.

The link has changed... http://www.trojanwire.com/football/troy-polamalu-is-unquestionably-the-man.php

supa_fly_steeler
11-14-2009, 10:58 AM
this is an awesome story, stuff like this makes me want to love troy even more

tmacsteelerfan
11-14-2009, 11:13 AM
That seems like something he would do, and it's all thanks to the head and shoulders.

1st&Goal
11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Troy is a class act. I'm sure this was a nice change for he and his wife, just a nice conversation over dinner. I wish more people would treat celebs/athletes this way instead of the constant "Can I have an autograph, Can I have an autograph" crap they have to endure.

Christian Snyder
11-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I like Troy even more now.... I always thought that he was a nice guy and this confirms it.:thumbsup:

mesaSteeler
11-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Excellent find, Thank you for posting the article.