PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy, Unprofessional Play by the Offense.....

SteelerEmpire
11-15-2009, 04:08 PM
...thats all.....

Havik
11-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I am disgusted. I don't know what to say, it's like every player on the team just quit. Thank you Steelers for once again gift wrapping the game to the Bengals.

Eztarget
11-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Let's not forget yet another ST touchdown against us that turned out to be the difference. The defense held them to 4 FG's with Troy missing.

Offense sh*t the bed today and now unless the Bungles blow it down the stretch we have to get in line or a WC spot.

7SteelGal43
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
The defense held the Bengals to field goals all day. To many field goals, but still. The O looked very sluggish, out of sync. Hope we play better the rest of the year. HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE GO !! :tt02:

Fire Haley
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Ben got the swolled head. Whatever happened to take what they give you?

No magic today.

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
How was the offense unprofessional? The only "unprofessional" thing I saw today was James Harrison punching one of the Bungles in the head. :coffee:

Ricco Suavez
11-15-2009, 04:15 PM
what was with all the high throws? ours receivers aren't 6'10 ben

Some high throws were all on Ben but Cincy did a good job of getting pressure on him closing the pocket around him. You cannot throw thru those D-linemen you have to throw thru lanes or over thus high balls.

Stillers33
11-15-2009, 04:15 PM
i wouldnt dweel on this loss, we still have a winning record with a pretty rensable schedule ahead of us, well jsut have to beat the bungals in the playoffs :tt02:

Jaquila
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
did offense play today? must have been a different game i watched lol

GBMelBlount
11-15-2009, 04:20 PM
As far as I see it, this game was like the Super Bowl for the Bengals....

When you play a really good team that is fired up, naturally it will be tough game.

For as poor as we looked at times, losing by three wasn't that bad.

Now let's kick ass and run the board.....

SteelCityMom
11-15-2009, 04:21 PM
How was the offense unprofessional? The only "unprofessional" thing I saw today was James Harrison punching one of the Bungles in the head. :coffee:

Agreed....and on that note, outside of some bs-ing in the locker room and congratulating the Bengals on a good game, I'm taking a break from the Steelers section for a day or two until the whining dies down a little lol. You'd think we just lost a playoff game for crying out loud.

SteelerEmpire
11-15-2009, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=GBMelBlount;703251]As far as I see it, this game was like the Super Bowl for the Bengals....

When you play a really good team that is fired up, naturally it will be tough game.

For as poor as we looked at times, losing by three wasn't that bad

----------------------

They got us by 6 this time.....

Mags87
11-15-2009, 04:22 PM
As far as I see it, this game was like the Super Bowl for the Bengals....

hope we can. have two big games with the ravens. we need our division wins for the stretch and hopefully a sloppy bengals team. (which isnt looking all that probable)

Spidey
This offense is led by two people, Arians and Ben!

Ben has played below par the last few weeks, Arians's play calling has been crap since week 1.

Not a good recipe for success right now!

HometownGal
Agreed....and on that note, outside of some bs-ing in the locker room and congratulating the Bengals on a good game, I'm taking a break from the Steelers section for a day or two until the whining dies down a little lol. You'd think we just lost a playoff game for crying out loud.

Gary and I are going to be busy little bees this week. I'm doing wrist exercises tonight to get it loosened up. :chuckle:

madtowndrunkard
11-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Ben was horrible. The O-line didn't have a good game either. We looked uninspired to say the least. Frankly I'm shocked that we came out so flat and played with no urgency at all. Why no surprise plays? Where's the no huddle? Why not take what the defense gives you? What the hell was our offensive game plan? Did we have one? I'm guessing it was just force the ball deep and pray something happens?

Ben forced everything and was not mentally in the game. It was like we were watching a different QB today. The play calling in the red zone was a joke. If you can't protect your QB then run the damn ball inside the 20 or maybe a few of those screens that were working?.

If only one of those FG's were a TD today we win. This game easily could have been a blow out victory for us. Just prevent the run back and turn a FG or two into a TD and this is a blow out. Poor coaching, poor QB play, and miserable ST's play.

Harrison's penalty was horrible....but I don't understand why the officials allow Harrison to get mugged every game...yet no flag.

ST's once again killed us. IMO this loss is on Mike Tomlin. His reluctance to make any adjustments to our ST's is killing us. The ST's coaches need to be fired. It's embarrassing. We gave Cinci a short field almost every series. This would have been a different game if that run back did not happen.

fansince'76
11-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Ben has played below par the last few weeks....

WTF are you talking about? He threw 3 TDs on the road last week. :coffee:

Merchant
11-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Offense and special teams lost it for us man.. ANOTHER kick-off return for a TD? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? And not only that on the other kickoffs the bengals seemed to end up on the 40 every time. So that right there is the 6 points we lost by. And then Ben throws a pick that leads to 3. HORRIBLE red-zone offense. Sacks, holding calls.. bleh. im actually feeling sick right now. I can't believe we just got swept by the BUNGLES. this is a dark day for steeler nation. Now we gotta deal with WHO DEY all week and Ochocinco running his mouth.

Angina
11-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Ben didn't look right all day. You could see it in his eyes. At first, I thought it was a determined, down-to-business look, and he was focusing on not letting the Bengals have this game, but as his out-of-sync play and decision making materialized, I started thinking it was something else.

Maybe he was ill, or got bad news on his lawsuit that hasn't leaked yet, but whatever it was, I sure didn't expect that performance at this point in the season, from him or any of the rest of the team (except for special teams, they've had problems for a while now) after the Steelers seemed to have made some good mid-season adjustments and were back on the winning track.

Special Teams did suck wind today, no denying that, in fact, except for the D, it was an overall subpar result for our guys.

Luckily for us, it's the Steelers, and I know Tomlin will be kicking butt and naming names this week, and if any team can turn a season around, it's ours. Easy win next week (yes, going out on a real limb and calling it, lol).

Go Steelers!!! :tt:

P.S. Remember, the Bengals always find the banana peel!!! (at least by the end of the season)

OneForTheToe
11-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Ben has played below par the last few weeks, Arians's play calling has been crap since week 1.

:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing:

Maybe they require an should Internet licenses (similar to a driver's license ) before you can type.

Steelboy84
11-15-2009, 04:29 PM

:thmbdown:

OneForTheToe
11-15-2009, 04:31 PM
One thing I do know for sure ... the Bungles don't handle success well.:applaudit:

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 04:38 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing:

Maybe they require an should Internet licenses (similar to a driver's license ) before you can type.

It's absolutely freakin' amazing that some of these people walk among us. :horror:

SteelersHoss
11-15-2009, 04:39 PM
The defense held the Bengals to field goals all day. To many field goals, but still. The O looked very sluggish, out of sync. Hope we play better the rest of the year. HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE GO !! :tt02:

Sluggish??????
they looked like shit

Texasteel
11-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I am disgusted. I don't know what to say, it's like every player on the team just quit. Thank you Steelers for once again gift wrapping the game to the Bengals.

I would be incredibly arrogant and misguided to figure the Cincy defense had nothing to do with the way our offense played

X-Terminator
11-15-2009, 04:44 PM
The only thing I will say is that I did not like the red zone playcalling or execution today. Too many passes, telegraphing of plays and not enough runs. We score 2 TDs in those 4 trips and the Steelers win the game. That HAS to improve going forward.

Texasteel
11-15-2009, 04:47 PM

I don't see either point as being true.

iloveben7
11-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I like how ALL the hate goes to Ben when we lose. I'll never understand that

X-Terminator
11-15-2009, 04:50 PM
I like how ALL the hate goes to Ben when we lose. I'll never understand that

Who's giving him all of the hate? And it is a fact that he didn't play well today - that's not pinning all of the blame on him. In fact, most people are giving him a pass for his bad game today, myself included.

stillers4me
11-15-2009, 04:52 PM

And to be honest, wouldn't any of us like to have the chance? :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
11-15-2009, 04:52 PM
All QB's have a bad game once in a while, even really good ones, Ben played bad today but theres no doubt in my mind he will be fine the rest of the year, hopefully he got his bad game out of the way today and we wont see another for awhile.

iloveben7
11-15-2009, 04:53 PM
^um a few people here and a lot of fans on twitter. Even some of the media were saying Ben was off today and not acknowledging what the rest of the offense didn't do.

I know Ben had a bad game, but get over it. He has many more great games than bad ones

RunWillieRun
11-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Embarrassing

Pathetic

Sad

Disgusting

That is all.

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 04:54 PM
And to be honest, wouldn't any of us like to have the chance? :chuckle:

You betcha, but not in a very tight divisional football game. :banging:

tmacsteelerfan
11-15-2009, 04:56 PM
It was horrible how bad our offense played, once again we give another game to the Bengals and of course they will be praised for it.

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
To give you an example of how Arians doesn't get it, the Steelers went five wide, nobody in the backfield and the Bengals did the same thing defensively every time. The Steelers left an end unblocked for a three-step drop by Ben, but the Bengals secondary knew that was coming. They pressed coverage and nobody was open so Ben was either sacked or his pass was batted down. Arians just isn't that smart or Zimmer was just smarter.

X-Terminator
It was horrible how bad our offense played, once again we give another game to the Bengals and of course they will be praised for it.

Can we please STOP with the "we gave the game to the Bengals" crap? A little credit where credit is due here! They beat us straight up - no excuses. We aren't Shehawk or Cardinals fans.

stillers4me
On the bright side, I'm hearing rumors here in Cinci that Ced Benson may be done for the year.

RunWillieRun
11-15-2009, 04:59 PM
On the bright side, I'm hearing rumors here in Cinci that Ced Benson may be done for the year.

:thumbsup:

at least something good maybe came out of this game.

BlastFurnace
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM

We didn't give them anything. They took it from us. They won fair and square.

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
To give you an example of how Arians doesn't get it, the Steelers went five wide, nobody in the backfield and the Bengals did the same thing defensively every time. The Steelers left an end unblocked for a three-step drop by Ben, but the Bengals secondary knew that was coming. They pressed coverage and nobody was open so Ben was either sacked or his pass was batted down. Arians just isn't that smart or Zimmer was just smarter.

ONCE AGAIN - Ben has the option of calling the no-huddle at his own discretion.

The bottom line today is simple. Ben allowed the Bungles D to get in his head early on and had a bad game. It happens to the best of 'em. I'd still take Ben any day of the week and twice on Sundays over Cartoon or any other QB in the league.

SteelerEmpire
11-15-2009, 05:02 PM
The Bright side: none of our remaining opponents has winning records.... I see at least 2 or 3 that the Bengals could have a problem with ......

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
ONCE AGAIN - Ben has the option of calling the no-huddle at his own discretion.

Just because Ben can call a no-huddle whenever he wants doesn't mean Arians can't call better plays or formations.

stillers4me
11-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Just because Ben can call a no-huddle whenever he wants doesn't mean Arians can't call better plays or formations.

Yeah, well, the tide usually turns when Ben gets the chance.

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah, well, the tide usually turns when Ben gets the chance.

I agree. But who actually calls for the no-huddle? Ben calls the plays at the line, but who says "Go no-huddle". My guess it is Arians or Tomlin's decision.

X-Terminator
11-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree. But who actually calls for the no-huddle? Ben calls the plays at the line, but who says "Go no-huddle". My guess it is Arians or Tomlin's decision.

It's been pretty well-established that it's Ben's call whenever they go no-huddle.

BozMan
11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
QAs far as I see it, this game was like the Super Bowl for the Bengals....

This should have been as much -- if not more -- of a must-win game for us as it was them. And yet the O never seemed that interested.

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 05:11 PM
It's been pretty well-established that it's Ben's call whenever they go no-huddle.

I am not disagreeing because I don't know for sure, but I have never heard that. I have heard only that he "calls" the plays in the no-huddle. Either way, Arians play-calling today was inadequate and Ben didn't have his A-game today. Maybe next week.

BIGWILL90
11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
The only thing I can see from this is the Bengals was just able to get to field goal range just a little more. Its hard to get anywhere when Ben cant get any rythmn going.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Raw Steel is right in that most of the time the Steelers went empty set, the Bengals sent at least 5 and pressured Ben. I thought we would adjust by throwing bubble screens out of the empty backfield, or at least rolling the line to get Ben moved away from the pressure.

Oh well, Bengals schemed well and made Ben look confused. Credit to them and shame on us for not adjusting. That, is football.

SteelerEmpire
11-15-2009, 05:15 PM

Not only was the play selection under par ( I assume by Ben), but Ben had Wallace on at least 2 occasions in which Wallace would have burned the h _ _ _ out of the defense.... but Ben under-threw him "both" times..... causing the play to break-up.... :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Can we please STOP with the "we gave the game to the Bengals" crap? A little credit where credit is due here! They beat us straight up - no excuses. We aren't Shehawk or Cardinals fans.

True.....you could see the Bengals run the ball with Benson, Scott or Leonard with some success. The Steelers on the other hand never really established the line of scrimmage dominance or the consistent run game.

Bengals beat the Steelers, but the Steelers also left some red zone points on the field where they should have had TD's.

stb_steeler
11-15-2009, 05:17 PM
i wouldnt dweel on this loss, we still have a winning record with a pretty rensable schedule ahead of us, well jsut have to beat the bungals in the playoffs :tt02:

Exactly, we have nothing to be ashamed of, we dont win em all. We'll be there in the playoffs.

tony hipchest
11-15-2009, 05:23 PM
steelers abandoned the run. i think it hurt worst when mendenhall was looking good on 2 consecutive plays and we went into the ever predictable shotgun on 3rd and 2.

interception.

iloveben7
11-15-2009, 05:23 PM
I am not disagreeing because I don't know for sure, but I have never heard that. I have heard only that he "calls" the plays in the no-huddle. Either way, Arians play-calling today was inadequate and Ben didn't have his A-game today. Maybe next week.

exactly. I think Ben lobbies for the no-huddle, but it's BA's or Tomlin's final decision

iloveben7
11-15-2009, 05:25 PM
did you all hear the idiot that called in and said "We should take Ben out for a couple plays..." and then Pompeani hung up on him

MACH1
11-15-2009, 05:26 PM
steelers abandoned the run. i think it hurt worst when mendenhall was looking good on 2 consecutive plays and we went into the ever predictable shotgun on 3rd and 2.

interception.

Yep. Need to feed Mendy more. The O was just way to predictable today no matter who was at fault for calling the plays.

tony hipchest
11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Yep. Need to feed Mendy more. The O was just way to predictable today no matter who was at fault for calling the plays.

...or putting in the game plan during a short week.

15 rush/40 pass.

bad plan all the way around.... :doh:

the "players must execute" excuse simply doesnt cut it on this one.

Merchant
11-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Man.. I'm just so surprised Ben couldn't even muster a first down on that final drive. He's been so clutch for us on game winning drives. As soon as I saw, down by 6, 2 minutes left, I just thought to myself.. it's OK.. Ben is gonna go off and win it again for us as he's done so many times in the past.. But damn.. throws deep into double coverage for wallace.. misses a wide open Ward as he's gettin pressured.. and doesn't even come close to a completion on 4th and 10.

Just one of those games..

OneForTheToe
11-15-2009, 05:34 PM
:thumbsup:

at least something good maybe came out of this game.

I'm not going to root for a season ending injury for Benson. The guy has played hard this year. If we can't take their best and beat them .......

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 05:35 PM

Oh puhhhhhhlease. Have you ever once given Arians credit when the Steelers have won? You boneheads and the scapegoating is putrid. :poop:

iloveben7
11-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Man.. I'm just so surprised Ben couldn't even muster a first down on that final drive. He's been so clutch for us on game winning drives. As soon as I saw, down by 6, 2 minutes left, I just thought to myself.. it's OK.. Ben is gonna go off and win it again for us as he's done so many times in the past.. But damn.. throws deep into double coverage for wallace.. misses a wide open Ward as he's gettin pressured.. and doesn't even come close to a completion on 4th and 10.

Just one of those games..

Ben barely had any time today and whole offense was just off

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 05:38 PM

Sorry, but I am going to have to respectfully continue to disagree and I'll leave it at that. :drink:

fansince'76
11-15-2009, 05:42 PM
...or putting in the game plan during a short week.

15 rush/40 pass.

bad plan all the way around.... :doh:

So you thought the offense played well?

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh puhhhhhhlease. Have you ever once given Arians credit when the Steelers have won? You boneheads and the scapegoating is putrid. :poop:

Actually, not really. Arians has been a failure at every coordinator and head coaching position he has ever had until he landed the job in Pittsburgh. And he got that position because he was in the right place at the right time.

Companies like Google and Microsoft have plenty of people in key positions that aren't very good at what they do. But it doesn't mean the company fails. In fact, they can still thrive i.e. win a Super Bowl.

I don't think he is scapegoat. I just don't think he is a competent coordinator.

SCSTILLER
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Ok, haven't read through the whole thread, so if what I am saying is a repeat of previous posts I apologize ahead of time. I also don't want to start a new thread for my argument as it has to deal with the whole game. I am not trying to be a "thread stealer" or anything, but this has a lot to do with the "O".

Here go's! We were beat, plain and simple. They dominated us on the front line, they were better than us side to side, and the only time we stepped up (at least our D) was in the red zone. The only thing that kept us in this game was the red zone D. Take away 1 or two of those field goals and the score is alot uglier. Yes, if we score one touchdown in the red zone, different game, i understand that.

I also beleive we were out coached in this one. They seemed to have our number, and yes that happens. This is not a fire, kill, get rid of, hope his car breaks down Bruce Arians paragraph, but he didn't seem to have an answer for what they threw at us. I know, Santo's drop in the endzon; Heath's first down drop maybe different game, but they seemed to have us dialed in. Just seemed to me that the Bungle's D coordinator did a little homework and had our O coordinator beat.

I am not worried about this loss. Let them have the division, we will go into their house in the playoffs and send them home whining.

fansince'76
11-15-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't think he is scapegoat. I just don't think he is a competent coordinator.

So how do you account for recent the 5-game team record set for scoring at least 27 a game? The guy ain't Bill Walsh, but he's not a complete dud either.

stillers4me
11-15-2009, 05:53 PM
If the Bengals, in the end, win the division, I will enjoy listening to the fans bitch and moan about their 1st place schedule next year. :chuckle:

cubanstogie
11-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Our coaching staff did a great job of adjusting at halftime against Denver last week, they did an equally poor job today. I am venting here, I don't want anyone fired. I like BA, and love Tomlin but Ben was pressured all day with balls batted down. You have to give credit to the Bengals but I was yelling for Ben to roll out in the second half. Yes the secondary did a good job but the batted balls were pissing me off. Roll out and give Ben a chance to do what he does best. There didn't seem to be any alternative plan. The WR screens were abandoned as well. I have loved the play calling all year except today. Hopefully we see the Bungles in the playoffs and win when it counts.

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Actually, not really. Arians has been a failure at every coordinator and head coaching position he has ever had until he landed the job in Pittsburgh. And he got that position because he was in the right place at the right time.

Companies like Google and Microsoft have plenty of people in key positions that aren't very good at what they do. But it doesn't mean the company fails. In fact, they can still thrive i.e. win a Super Bowl.

You didn't answer my question.

Have you EVER given Arians credit when the O has played well (like last week in Denver for example) and the Steelers have won?

I think he is a very good OC and the Steelers FO, Tomlin and the Steelers players are in agreement and their opinion of his efforts and "work product" are really all that matters.

stillers4me
11-15-2009, 05:56 PM
So how do you account for recent the 5-game team record set for scoring at least 27 a game? The guy ain't Bill Walsh, but he's not a complete dud either.

Some us just think we deserve better than "not a complete dud". If we blow getting into the playoffs this year, I'm betting BA will be the first casualty.

fansince'76
11-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Some us just think we deserve better than "not a complete dud". If we blow getting into the playoffs this year, I'm betting BA will be the first casualty.

A top 5 offensive ranking apparently isn't enough either. No, 80-0 blowouts every week or someone' s head should roll. And I think Ligashesky should get the boot if anyone does. No excuse for this KO coverage team regressing the way it has.

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 06:02 PM
A top 5 offensive ranking apparently isn't enough either. No, 80-0 blowouts every week or someone' s head should roll.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::drink:

Don't you know - it is a Steelers fan's freakin' God given right to expect a Super Bowl trophy each and every season? :banging:

cubanstogie
11-15-2009, 06:03 PM

So because he didn't fare well prior to Pittsburgh, it sounds like you will never give him a chance to redeem himself. What percentage of OC's actually have SB rings, especially with a below avg line we had last year. It was one bad game. I do think some adjustments should have been tried, but BA has had great year so far. Firing a OC who's team is 6-3 coming off a SB win is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, an incompetent OC could not lead an offense to the numbers we have put up this year.

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 06:03 PM

That's a valid question and my answer is I think and, it's just my opinion, the Steelers personnel isthat good - the best it has been in years. And don't be fooled by that record. How many of those points were put up by the defense? And look at the schedule. Except for the Vikings defense, the opposing defenses weren't very good.

fansince'76
11-15-2009, 06:04 PM
That's a valid question and my answer is I think and, it's just my opinion, the Steelers personnel isthat good - the best it has been in years. And don't be fooled by that record. How many of those points were put up by the defense? And look at the schedule. Except for the Vikings defense, the opposing defenses weren't very good.

Broncos' D was ranked number 1.

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
How many of those points were put up by the defense?

Football is a TEAM sport or didn't you read that in Football 101? What does it matter which unit puts points on the board?

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 06:08 PM
So because he didn't fare well prior to Pittsburgh, it sounds like you will never give him a chance to redeem himself. What percentage of OC's actually have SB rings, especially with a below avg line we had last year. It was one bad game. I do think some adjustments should have been tried, but BA has had great year so far. Firing a OC who's team is 6-3 coming off a SB win is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, an incompetent OC could not lead an offense to the numbers we have put up this year.

I am basing this on what I have seen from strictly a football standpoint and it's not based on one game. And why don't you think those numbers could even be better with an elite QB, two elite WRs, a tight end that has always been underused, three quality running backs and an offensive line that has matured and gotten better. The stupidest thing you ever heard? I beg to differ.

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Football is a TEAM sport or didn't you read that in Football 101? What does it matter which unit puts points on the board?

I agree it's a team sport when it comes to winning. But we are talking about the offense right now. Do you not agree they were the main reason we lost today? How many points did the defense give up today? 12. The Bengals scored 18, but the defense could only control 12. Just like last week, they only could control 3 yet it was 10 on the scoreboard.

The bottom line is the offense wasn't very good today. BA, Ben were two big reasons why.

pepsyman1
11-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Broncos' D was ranked number 1.

We also only had 3 first downs and no offensive points in the first half of the Denver game....we opened up when Ben went no huddle. I will be the first to say I'm not a fan of Arians, BUT I have seen some great improvements this year. I still think some of the things that were always part of Steeler football just aren't gonna be seen to much in BA's offense, but the offense has definitely improved from last year.....it's just annoying when he appears to get stubborn and not change a game plan that obviously isn't working. He made changes on Monday when we were struggling and let Ben do what was necessary....why not today?

stillers4me
11-15-2009, 06:16 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::drink:

Don't you know - it is a Steelers fan's freakin' God given right to expect a Super Bowl trophy each and every season? :banging:

Be fair, HTG, nobody is saying that at all. But the questions around BA has been going on for some time now, even in the national media. Only losing to very good teams last year and winning a Superbowl may have camoflauged a weak link in the coaching staff. Despite today's performance, I still feel we are a playoff caliber team. This group of men, not the fans, deserve the finest coaching minds available to guide the way. And notice I say, "available". I don't think there has been a better option available and he got the benefit of the doubt with the Superbowl win. Watch what happens if a better option is available in the next few years. Nobody in this business (except for Steelers head coaches!), keeps their job forever. I hope as much as any fan, that BA can put together another playoff run. And I'll commend him if he does. But part of that is knowing when to let Ben do what he does best.

Kudos and God bless BA with his cancer recovery, But I know I'm not alone in looking forward to the day when "the better option" comes to town.

I know you'll just respectfully disagree with my opinon and that's fine. It's still mine and many others point of view.

SteelCityMom
11-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I am basing this on what I have seen from strictly a football standpoint and it's not based on one game. And why don't you think those numbers could even be better with an elite QB, two elite WRs, a tight end that has always been underused, three quality running backs and an offensive line that has matured and gotten better. The stupidest thing you ever heard? I beg to differ.

The numbers weren't better this week because out elite QB, two elite WRs and ST's got absolutely stomped on and didn't produce they way they should. Whether you like the playcalling or not, it has to be executed properly for it to be effective. THAT was the major problem today. O-line missing pass blocking assignments, Ben not throwing crisp clean balls and WR's not making the extra effort to go high and snag some tough catches. Special teams play aside, that's what tipped the scales in favor of the Bengals today.

The past five weeks the offense has executed beautifully. Hand it to the Bengals D for disrupting the solid game plans that had gotten us 5 good wins in a row.

fansince'76
11-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I still think so of the things that were always part of Steeler football just aren't gonna be seen to much in BA's offense....

How long did people bitch about "Cowherball?" Seems to me about 15 years. Now folks want it back? My point stands, the OC will always be a lightning rod for criticism if this offense doesn't cruise in a blowout every week, the players will get all the credit for the wins, and the OC's head will be called for after every loss. I'm used to it, though.

cubanstogie
11-15-2009, 06:25 PM
The numbers weren't better this week because out elite QB, two elite WRs and ST's got absolutely stomped on and didn't produce they way they should. Whether you like the playcalling or not, it has to be executed properly for it to be effective. THAT was the major problem today. O-line missing pass blocking assignments, Ben not throwing crisp clean balls and WR's not making the extra effort to go high and snag some tough catches. Special teams play aside, that's what tipped the scales in favor of the Bengals today.

The past five weeks the offense has executed beautifully. Hand it to the Bengals D for disrupting the solid game plans that had gotten us 5 good wins in a row.

Exactly, the Bengals did their homework(for once). Ben did not look good at all, and our receivers were covered when Ben did have time. BA did IMO have his worst coaching game of the year due to abandoning run, WR screens which were working and most of all not getting Ben out of the pocket. But BA has had a very successful year with our offense, and one game doesn't change that. Everytime we got to the redzone we either had a holding penalty or had a sack, or run play for a loss of yards. Its hard to score 7 moving backwards.

cubanstogie
11-15-2009, 06:32 PM

no, I don't think out numbers could be that much better. Ben is on pace to throw for over 4000 yards and break an all time Steelers record, and Mendy is looking like a good pic. I love Heath Miller as well, but with 3 solid WR's and trying to get our running game going someone isn't going to get the touches they deserve. D's have had a hard time covering our bunch formation until today. My only gripe is we didn't have a plan B to go to. You can bet we will next time.

BlastFurnace
11-15-2009, 06:34 PM
How long did people bitch about "Cowherball?" Seems to me about 15 years. Now folks want it back? My point stands, the OC will always be a lightning rod for criticism if this offense doesn't cruise in a blowout every week, the players will get all the credit for the wins, and the OC's head will be called for after every loss. I'm used to it, though.

I'm not calling for Cowherball, but I would have liked to have seen a more balanced attack today on offense. After all, it's not like we don't have the horses in the backfield. Mendenhall was making yards when given the ball.

Mendenhall deserved more touches today.

Sharkissle29
11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
screens, draws, where are they?

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Be fair, HTG, nobody is saying that at all. But the questions around BA has been going on for some time now, even in the national media. Only losing to very good teams last year and winning a Superbowl may have camoflauged a weak link in the coaching staff. Despite today's performance, I still feel we are a playoff caliber team. This group of men, not the fans, deserve the finest coaching minds available to guide the way. And notice I say, "available". I don't think there has been a better option available and he got the benefit of the doubt with the Superbowl win. Watch what happens if a better option is available in the next few years. Nobody in this business (except for Steelers head coaches!), keeps their job forever. I hope as much as any fan, that BA can put together another playoff run. And I'll commend him if he does. But part of that is knowing when to let Ben do what he does best.

Kudos and God bless BA with his cancer recovery, But I know I'm not alone in looking forward to the day when "the better option" comes to town.

I know you'll just respectfully disagree with my opinon and that's fine. It's still mine and many others point of view.

I AM being quite fair, imho, and a lot of others agree with my position. Sorry.

If the Steelers FO and/or Tomlin feel(s) that a change is necessary, I'll support it as I always do, whether I like it or not. However, for the time being, Art II, Tomlin and the players, including Ben, are all very supportive of BA and their opinions are the only opinions that really matter when all is said and done. I feel the man is unfairly scapegoated and hammered by the fans and the talking heads any time the Steelers lose, but is rarely ever given any degree of credit when the Steelers put up mega points on the board and come out with a W.

A lot of Steelers fans, especially the new agers, are SPOILED rotten and have a sense of entitlement which is not only illogical, but selfish and unrealistic.

LVSteelersfan
11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
The Bengals D was up to the task. Plain and simple. I don't think anything would have changed if the playcalling was different. Their D kicked our butts all day. I hate to say it, but they Bengals were the better team today.

MasterOfPuppets
11-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm not calling for Cowherball, but I would have liked to have seen a more balanced attack today on offense. After all, it's not like we don't have the horses in the backfield. Mendenhall was making yards when given the ball.

Mendenhall deserved more touches today.
i don't usually have a problem with arians, but sometimes he does have me scratching my head. like today for instance i think there was yardage to gained on the ground today but he seemed hell bent on an ariel attack, but then in several games last year he would run the ball up the gut over and over when it was obvious the yards were not going to come from there...:doh:... today the score was too close the whole game to insist that it needed to be won by passing. i'm also a bit confused on the empty backfield when the pass protection isn't going so well., especially on 1st and 2nd, and short yardage 3rds.

7SteelGal43
11-15-2009, 11:06 PM

C'mon now HTG, 77 of the Bengals shoved first. You know what they say, it's always the second guy that gets caught..

madtowndrunkard
11-15-2009, 11:31 PM
C'mon now HTG, 77 of the Bengals shoved first. You know what they say, it's always the second guy that gets caught..

I think Harrison finally snapped .... how can any player get held so blatantly and never get the call? It's friggen ridiculous. Harrison has to be going nuts...I mean he's clothes lined or nearly tackled on 90% of his rushes.

He'd easily lead the league in sacks if the NFL called the game like it was meant to be called. What I don't get is why we got a couple holding calls today mean while Harrison was getting mugged 10 X worse and nothing. I realize the NFL is trying to protect QB's but this has gone too far. The refs are neutralizing one of our best players.

I do understand that there are different degrees of holding. Technically you could probably call holding on every play. But when Harrison's progress is clearly being stopped because a blocker has his arm around his neck or his fists clinched onto his jersey driving him into the ground..you have to call it. There are holds that you can ignore and holds you cannot. If the hold is clearly changing the out come of a play then you can't ignore it. The refs have sent a message to every team in the league.....hold Harrison as much as you want...you won't get called for it.

psusteelers4life
11-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Who knows if we did establish a half decent running game today it might have softened their coverage and made our passing game open up to where we wanted it.

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Would have loved to see more of Mendy today. But I think the WRs and the lineman missed the plane in Denver. Wallace finally had his "Rookie" off day, Hines looked his age after a long trip west and Holmes just missed a nice TD catch that would have been the game changer.
yes i'm sure that 3 and a half hour nap on the plane was a killer....:rolleyes:

The average travel time from Pittsburgh, PA to Denver, CO is 3 hours and 16 minutes.
http://www.orbitz.com/flight-info/US/US-PIT-DEN.html

stlrtruck
11-16-2009, 09:06 AM
...thats all.....

nope, it was a sloppy game all the way around.

SteelerEmpire
11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
agreed, alot of the high throws were coming because of the batted ball by the lineman. Hope that doesn't end up being a trend.

Yea.... that was one of the things that was very aggravating.....:mad:

scsteeler
11-16-2009, 10:44 AM

BINGO!!

Bengals played good on defense can't take that away from them.

Shoes
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
I was in a good mood after the Colts beat the cheats last night and in a great mood watching Eisen, Sanders and Mariucci pass around the antidepressants :chuckle:

The_WARDen
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM

hence the "unprofessional" part... He knows they call the 2nd guy so don't do it. Keep your head.
He lost his head and cost them 15 critical yards at a crucial time of the game.

Edman
11-16-2009, 11:56 AM
There was nothing "unprofessional" about the offense.

But they were definately sloppy. I know the Bengals played a good Defense, but we didn't do ourselves any favors. 44 passes to 15 runs in a game that was never out of hand. Arians and Ben did a very poor job yesterday with their impatience. Always searching for the home run and never taking what the Bengals were giving them.

Mike Zimmer wasn't going to allow the deep ball and brought pressure on every down. We didn't adjust and kept playing right into their hands.

We were doing just fine running the ball, then we just stopped.

SteelMember
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
The only thing I will say is that I did not like the red zone playcalling or execution today. Too many passes, telegraphing of plays and not enough runs. We score 2 TDs in those 4 trips and the Steelers win the game. That HAS to improve going forward.

Gotta agree with this. We were terrible in the redzone. I think we actually lost more yards than gained. 4 chances inside the 15, and field goals every time. That's just frustrating for everyone.

Ben may have been off a little today, but it had a lot to do with the pressure he was getting. Their D was consistently pushing and getting their hands up in the passing lanes batting balls down. This, in turn lead Ben to try and force balls with velocity into some very tight windows. Yes, he did have some dropped... Holmes in the endzone for one(great pass), but he wasn't helping himself with throws for the most part. Like the 3rd down pass to Miller. Too high and behind for an out-route.

Just too many 3rd and longs. Drive killers.

Raw Steel is right in that most of the time the Steelers went empty set, the Bengals sent at least 5 and pressured Ben. I thought we would adjust by throwing bubble screens out of the empty backfield, or at least rolling the line to get Ben moved away from the pressure.

Oh well, Bengals schemed well and made Ben look confused. Credit to them and shame on us for not adjusting. That, is football.

Yep. Another 4-3 team getting pressure with blitzes and twists confusing our o-line assignments. I would have likes to see more plays moving Ben out of the pocket, but if guys are coming free off the edges... What are you gonna do.

Keeping him in the pocket was their basic gameplan going in. We never countered.

BozMan
11-16-2009, 12:45 PM
With regards to the playcalling imbalance - 44 passes versus 15 rushes:

After the Detroit game, where we had a similar imbalance, Arians said the following (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09285/1004838-66.stm#ixzz0X2rqlOKl):

"It was real frustrating" Arians said. "I got too greedy."

I wonder if Arians will admit to being "too greedy" after this game as well.

Getting too greedy, failing to make effective counter adjustments... these are failures that do not reflect well on Arians' tactical decision making abilities.

One game should not be grounds for firing anyone, but if the trend continues, that is a different story.

7SteelGal43
11-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I was in a good mood after the Colts beat the cheats last night and in a great mood watching Eisen, Sanders and Mariucci pass around the antidepressants :chuckle:

Yeah, as I watched that winning drive, I could only hope the Steelers were watching.
I was glad the Colts won - but as I watched the winning TD I was like :banging: THATS HOW YA DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!! :banging: NOT 4 LONG BALLS IN A ROW :banging:

:chuckle: carry on and Go Steelers..that is all :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
3-15 on 3rd Down. Unacceptable
80 yards rushing. Unacceptable
40 passes to 18 Rushes. Unacceptable
Ward thrown to 10 times with 4 catches. Unacceptable
Holmes thrown to 14 times with 7 catches. Unacceptable
4-2 Sack Ratio. Unacceptable
96 Yard KO Return for TD against the Special Teams. Disgusting.
4/4 on FG. Good.
0-TDs when in the Redzone 4 times. Unacceptable
-1 Turnover Ration. Unacceptable

That is the game.

SteelMember
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
You could also add the turnover ratio there. -1

We had a few chances, but never came away with one.

Now your probably asking yourself, when did Troy go out?

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
You could also add the turnover ratio there. -1

We had a few chances, but never came away with one.

Now your probably asking yourself, when did Troy go out?

Fixed it.

HometownGal
11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree it's a team sport when it comes to winning. But we are talking about the offense right now. Do you not agree they were the main reason we lost today? How many points did the defense give up today? 12. The Bengals scored 18, but the defense could only control 12. Just like last week, they only could control 3 yet it was 10 on the scoreboard.

It's also a team sport when it comes to losing. Ask any of the players or coaches if you don't want to take my word for it. :banging:

The bottom line is the offense wasn't very good today. BA, Ben were two big reasons why.

Sure they both had a hand in the loss - the entire O played like they were hungover most of the game and particularly Ben. Though I must say, I must have missed BA punching a Bungles player in the head with 4-1/2 left in the game which led to the Bungles final FG, which ultimately put more pressure on the O with under 2 left to have to get into the EZ instead of going for a tying FG. Silly me. :doh: :rolleyes:

Shellshock
11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
O line was pushed all the the field, Mendenhall ran soft and Ben made no plays.

GodofGridiron
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Ben barely had any time today and whole offense was just off

Ohhh stop it !!! Ben had plenty of time yesterday. It just seems like the O line is bad since Ben usually runs from the pocket and adlibs. He holds on to the ball too long but often time he can make big plays breakin containment. When youre QB and scramble and triple pump on a throw, thats all-day protection. Most QBs will 7-step drop, work our reads and progressions against that 3 second internal clock and toss. Ben does his 7-step, goes thru a read and progression, if he doesnt like what he sees he moves to buy time while the play has already broken down..at that point it becomes just sandlot football.

Give Ben credit for makin big plays but give him the blame for takin sacks when he really shouldnt have to.

devilsdancefloor
11-16-2009, 07:37 PM
WOW! 1st off Hats off to Coach Zimmer and his Defense they did what they had to do... (play like the steelers D). That being said i think that some of this sloppy play and "unprofessional" play what ever the hell that means (we are not the stains) was caused by the outstanding play of the bengals D. But the throw it 40 yards down field on every freaking play in the 2nd half drove me insane. And those who is blaming arians not calling good games all year i guess you didnt watch last weeks game. I think arians was trying to call a good game and shit just happened and everyone went into panic mode. I think everyone had a bad day yesterday. I feel sorry for teh chiefs next week gonna be a lot of angry steelers. we just need to stay the course and nto go into Panic mode right now!!

SteelerEmpire
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I think this article may warrant a refreshing.....buy maybe extend it to a few other areas (and individuals) of the team....:noidea:

SMR
11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
lol, afraid so!