PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom Line

Edman
11-15-2009, 04:08 PM
We lost. End of Story.

For the first time since 1998, The Steelers have been swept by the Bengals. It happened. It's there. It's the truth. Read it in fine print. Live with it. It is what it is. No excuses. It sucks like tough ****. But there are going to be things in life we don't like, and there's going to be many more games like this. Make all the excuses you want, but it's not going to change a thing. We lost.

The Offense let the team down again. Inability to finish against the Bengals cost us both games. The Red Zone offense was pretty bad today. Bruce Arians deserves criticism for the shoddy playcalling in the Red Zone.

This was a 2008-style loss, pure and simple. FG's don't win games. The D can only do so much. The season isn't over yet, but it's going to be difficult to catch the Bengals or else we'll have to settle for a WG. This one stings HARD, but we can't sit here and cry. Time to regroup and get Kansas City. We had our shot today (several times) and we blew it. CIncy took advantage. Red Zone ineptitude and FG's may fly against shit teams like Cleveland, but not to improved good teams like Cincy.

Yes, Cincy is a good team. Cincy will be in the playoffs and they will be tough to beat. They are the real deal, and they have showcased it today. No denying it any longer. No "they got lucky", No "they did this and that", No "They lost to so-and-so". The Bengals are a good team this year.

tyler289
11-15-2009, 04:09 PM
In 2005, the Bengals won the AFC North amid chants of "Who dey!"

You know who won the Super bowl that year?

Raw Steel
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Arians was basically Mike Zimmer's play toy today. He had an answer for everything that Arians did (which is nothing different) and Arians isn't smart enough to change things. Ben was also awful today. His decision making was bad as were many throws. Hey, give him a mulligan. He is going to have a bad game every once in awhile and today was one of those days. Go out to KC and get back on the winning track.

Fire Haley
11-15-2009, 04:14 PM
The Wildcard Race just heated up.

Eztarget
11-15-2009, 04:15 PM
What sucks is win today and we're right there fighting for a BYE ... this just blows. If Troy is out for a long stretch we could be in trouble again.

tube517
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm not worried. I'm looking at the Big Picture.
Once you make the playoffs that's when it counts.
Bengals D played well.

Our Special teams suck.

Steelers need to take care of their own business and not worry about what the bengals do from here on out.

I blame it on Bradshaw, who pretty much guaranteed a victory on FOX today. :mad:

AllD
11-15-2009, 04:19 PM
What sucks is win today and we're right there fighting for a BYE ... this just blows. If Troy is out for a long stretch we could be in trouble again.

No Polamalu and you can forget about going to the SB. We can still win the division and be the weakest non-WC seed.

Team looked flat most of the day, especially on offense. BB is allowed a bad game which is what he had. I did not see one run with a pulling guard which resulted in so many 10+ yard runs on Monday. WTF was calling plays, Russel Crowe?

A new game plan is needed for throwing under the coverage. No playoffs this year and some serious changes will need to be made on the sidelines, no excuses.

Ravnet
11-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Maybe the Bengals are just. . .good?

ricksteelers55
11-15-2009, 04:26 PM
The Bengals didnt beat us

We lost it period.

We left 16 pts on the board today no need to say that we deserve that loss.

Now with Smith and Polamalu injured the other guys will have to bring their A game on each and every football game or we wont see football in january

plenewken
11-15-2009, 04:29 PM

I wouldn't say they're good, they came to play and the Steelers were completely flat. There's no other explaination for the Steelers beating the Broncos on the road and losing to the Bengals at home 6 days later.
Add the fact that our ST suck @ss as it's been the case for weeks now and you have the whole picture.

BlastFurnace
11-15-2009, 04:29 PM
The Bengals didnt beat us

We lost it period.

We left 16 pts on the board today no need to say that we deserve that loss.

Now with Smith and Polamalu injured the other guys will have to bring their A game on each and every football game or we wont see football in january

Nonsense. They were better than us today. I'm not saying they are the better team, but today....they were better.

BlastFurnace
11-15-2009, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't say they're good, they came to play and the Steelers were completely flat. There's no other explaination for the Steelers beating the Broncos on the road and losing to the Bengals at home 6 days later.
Add the fact that our ST suck @ss as it's been the case for weeks now and you have the whole picture.

C'mon man...they are a good team this year. I'm not sure where they will end up, but after 9 games, they are the best team in the division.

We had an opportunity today and we didn't measure up.

X-Terminator
11-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Guys, seriously. Give the Bengals credit. They are a good team with a very, very good defense and they were the better team today. We as Steelers fans should be better than this and not stoop to excuse-making.

Edman
11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Guys, seriously. Give the Bengals credit. They are a good team with a very, very good defense and they were the better team today. We as Steelers fans should be better than this and not stoop to excuse-making.

I Quote:

"Yes, Cincy is a good team. Cincy will be in the playoffs and they will be tough to beat. They are the real deal, and they have showcased it today. No denying it any longer. No "they got lucky", No "they did this and that", No "They lost to so-and-so". The Bengals are a good team this year."

X-Terminator
11-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I Quote:

"Yes, Cincy is a good team. Cincy will be in the playoffs and they will be tough to beat. They are the real deal, and they have showcased it today. No denying it any longer. No "they got lucky", No "they did this and that", No "They lost to so-and-so". The Bengals are a good team this year."

I was not directing my post at you.

Ravnet
11-15-2009, 04:38 PM

Maybe the Broncos. . .aren't good?

They lost to a mediocre Baltimore team, Pittsburgh at home, and then one of the worst squads in Washington.

duma
11-15-2009, 04:50 PM
I would say Cinci is good, and obviously better then any team in this division. If you can sweep the two "top" teams in your division, you are good - at least as far as your division is concerned. And if the AFC North is one of the toughest divisions, then the Cinci team is at the top.. Who cares what the Steeler D did, and didn't do, as they like to say, good teams find a way to win, and bad teams... well.. lose.

BIGWILL90
11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah well the sun has to shine on a dogs ass every once in a while.

Gnutella
11-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Eh, we were 6-3 last year too.

Angus Burgher
11-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Our offense, collectively, looked horrible today. It also looked about as good as the Bengals' offense.

It was the same on defense, only it was the reverse... both teams' defenses looked pretty good overall. Neither allowed TDs and there were a number of 3 and outs.

As usual, special teams was there to f**k us in the ass again. I don't know why we are so bad in that place in the game, but it almost seems like there's some unwritten rule that we HAVE to let the other team run the length of the field when we kickoff to them at some point in the game.

I blame the loss on this, more than anything. This ineptitude is either KILLING us, or it's keeping us from being elite. I hate it either way, and they need to find a way to fix it. I mean, even the BROWNS did it do us.

The offense though... what the hell? The O-Line couldn't block today (and don't give me that Ben held onto the ball too long crap... there were at least two sacks where he got NO time and multiple others where he had to throw before he lined up a receiver), the receivers couldn't catch or break away from coverage, Mendy couldn't run, and yes, Ben did throw some sloppy passes.

I hated watching this game. Because we so COULD have won it. Palmer and Muchosucko didn't get anything done on their end really. And that's how they usually play... mediocre, but good enough to win. The Steelers are better than that though, as we saw against Denver last week. Why that team didn't show up today on its own field is beyond me.

stillers4me
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Eh, we were 6-3 last year too.

But it was us that swept the division.

Can we go back to last year? It was more fun.

ricksteelers55
11-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Nonsense. They were better than us today. I'm not saying they are the better team, but today....they were better.

Im not using any excuses.Bengals played well today but we beat ourselves period.

Yeah they played well but they werent the one overthrowing a lot of passes in the endzone and dropped one too in the endzone we did.they werent the one allowing a KR TD(it's not them it's us proof is we gave 2 other this year)

overall we lost by 6 they didnt win by 6 we lost by 6

ricksteelers55
11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
But it was us that swept the division.

Can we go back to last year? It was more fun.

years like last year only happen once in a while....This year will be a tough one if number 43 doesnt comeback.

we can overcome a lot of injuries but losing 43 and 91 at the same time seems to be a huuuuuge challenge.

stb_steeler
11-16-2009, 12:39 AM
What happened to the 2008 last two minute magic? I was still hoping Ben could rally the troops ala 2008. The team is very unpredictable this year.

Other teams are the opposite they can predict what the Steelers do. No running game and this is what happens. Cant set up the pass with out it.....

eafratitpm3
11-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Why are we seeing so many of Ben's balls batted down, if it is a quick pass why are our O lineman not cut blocking the defenders. Also, where are the dump offs to the running backs.

Pdiddy
11-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Our offense, collectively, looked horrible today. It also looked about as good as the Bengals' offense.

It was the same on defense, only it was the reverse... both teams' defenses looked pretty good overall. Neither allowed TDs and there were a number of 3 and outs.

As usual, special teams was there to f**k us in the ass again. I don't know why we are so bad in that place in the game, but it almost seems like there's some unwritten rule that we HAVE to let the other team run the length of the field when we kickoff to them at some point in the game.

I blame the loss on this, more than anything. This ineptitude is either KILLING us, or it's keeping us from being elite. I hate it either way, and they need to find a way to fix it. I mean, even the BROWNS did it do us.

The offense though... what the hell? The O-Line couldn't block today (and don't give me that Ben held onto the ball too long crap... there were at least two sacks where he got NO time and multiple others where he had to throw before he lined up a receiver), the receivers couldn't catch or break away from coverage, Mendy couldn't run, and yes, Ben did throw some sloppy passes.

I hated watching this game. Because we so COULD have won it. Palmer and Muchosucko didn't get anything done on their end really. And that's how they usually play... mediocre, but good enough to win. The Steelers are better than that though, as we saw against Denver last week. Why that team didn't show up today on its own field is beyond me.

That team didn't show up because you played a different team today. A much better team with a cutthroat defense that did not allow Ben to dictate the game like he did against Denver. How about joining most of the other Pittsburgh fans on this forum and give the Bengal's a little credit. I do have to agree with you on one point. The Bengal's O did not look good either. But I think a good Steeler's D had a lot to do with that.

solardave
11-16-2009, 04:08 AM

They are good but still not in our class if we play our game. Look at all of our miscues.

3 dropped INTs
At least 4 bad passes
Dropped passes(Miller should have caught that one for a first down)
We give up a run back for a TD
Stupid penalty on Harrison
O line did not play well.
Ben held the ball to long
The list goes on.

The bungles had us on the perfect day for them and because of all this they beat us.
It sucks because IMO this was the one game we couldn't afford to lose.

stlrtruck
11-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes, Cincy is a good team. Cincy will be in the playoffs and they will be tough to beat. They are the real deal, and they have showcased it today. No denying it any longer. No "they got lucky", No "they did this and that", No "They lost to so-and-so". The Bengals are a good team this year.

Sorry but while they are leading the AFCN as of now, they aren't the real deal until they can do it consecutively year in and year out. When was the last time they were competitive? 2005? And before that?

I give them props for winning in baltimore and PIttsburgh, but I'll be damned if I'll label them the real deal.

However, your last sentence is more accurate, they are good - THIS YEAR

Justin Otstott
11-16-2009, 09:55 AM

:blah::blah: yeah we did, but this is not 2005!!! Anything can happen if we meet them again.

ricksteelers55
11-16-2009, 10:12 AM

I thought it was 2006 all over again ? :chuckle:

markymarc
11-16-2009, 05:39 PM
The Bungles definitely deserve kudos for sweeping us. They are playing "Steelers" football and doing it well right now. They have a lot of confidence and how can you blame them.

GodofGridiron
11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I dont think Cincy is as good as we are. Theyve beaten us for without Troy P twice for the most part. When Taz was in the game he was very effective. With a healthy Troy this season we'd be 9-0 guaranteed.

So.....NO...Cincy is not better than Pitt (when healthy).

Fire Haley
11-16-2009, 07:24 PM
MY Bottom Line

The Steelers got greedy and Ben got the swolled head and that was that. No adjustments.

"We'll beat you our way or lose trying."

End of Story.

stlrtruck
11-17-2009, 08:57 AM
I dont think Cincy is as good as we are. Theyve beaten us for without Troy P twice for the most part. When Taz was in the game he was very effective. With a healthy Troy this season we'd be 9-0 guaranteed.

So.....NO...Cincy is not better than Pitt (when healthy).

But that's the problem, we shouldn't have to rely on one player to make a difference. This team should come out, especially for a game like this past one against cinci, fired up and ready to play regardless of who is on or off the field.

I mean really, the bungals were without Chris Henry who in games past has been our biggest problem.

The_WARDen
11-17-2009, 09:24 AM
But that's the problem, we shouldn't have to rely on one player to make a difference. This team should come out, especially for a game like this past one against cinci, fired up and ready to play regardless of who is on or off the field.

I mean really, the bungals were without Chris Henry who in games past has been our biggest problem.

and they played the 2nd half without their best RB....

steelerjim58
11-17-2009, 11:26 AM
As much as it hurts to have Troy out, the D has still played well enough in every game for the team to have won. In both bengals games they came up with big plays. In the first a pick six, in the second a kickoff return for a td. In both games we lost tds because of drops by receivers. In the bears game there were the missed fgs and A few dropped passes.

SteelGhost
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Did they play better than the Steelers in 2 games ? Yes
Are they leading AFCN ? Yes
Are they a better team overall the division ? IMO ... nope. I give credit to them for beating us and Baltimore twice, but I still not considering them an "elite" team, maybe if the trend continues and they improve in the years to come ... we'll see. Remember they always find a way to choke at the end.

Now we have to focus in the future games, the whole team has to play with a lot of heart and drive (citing Tomlin's words) Last Sunday I didn't see fire and passion in offense and ST . Zimmer did a good job on taking advantage of our sloppy performance and limiting the offense to 4 Reed's field goals.

By now I'm more worried about Troy's health than the 2 losses to Cinci, we'll need him badly at least in the 3 final games of the regular season, the wildcard race is getting tighter.

My .02

markymarc
11-18-2009, 02:50 PM
While I give the Bungles complete credit for their success up to this point, I still don't think they are built for playoff success at this point.