PDA

View Full Version : Post-Cincinnati part II thoughts

mesaSteeler
11-15-2009, 08:08 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop

Post-Cincinnati part II thoughts

Give credit where credit is due, Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer coached himself a heck of a ball game Sunday.

Individually, Cincinnati's defenders aren't all that good. In fact, they're largely the same group that has lined up for the Bengals the past few years - with a few notable exceptions.

But people have said that about the Steelers for years as well.

Sometimes scheme can outperform ability.

It did Sunday for Cincinnati.

Cincinnati's offense didn't do a whole lot again against the Steelers, picking up 218 yards.

That's why it's kind of funny that quarterback Carson Palmer spoke after the game about how they outschemed the Steelers in the run game and in the play-action game.

Hey Carson, you outschemed the Steelers to the tune of 61 rushing yards, 157 passing and four field goals.

No, this day belonged to Zimmer.

Ben Roethlisberger was off all day long in this one, overthrowing open receivers on a number of occasions.

Many of his throws were high. Again, credit Zimmer for keeping Roethlisberger in the pocket and for some well-timed delayed blitzes that kept Roethlisberger from stepping into his throws.

The injury to Troy Polamalu is troubling.

Including Sunday's loss in which he played exactly one defensive series, the Steelers have won 13 of of the past 15 games he's started.

They're 2-2 when he doesn't play.

There's no word yet on Polamalu's status, but he pulled himself out of the game, so obviously he felt something wasn't right.

That's seven consecutive games the Steelers have allowed a return touchdown, including three-straight home games that they've given up a kickoff return touchdown.

The defense has allowed 11 touchdowns all season.

Mike Tomlin joked following the game that he'd put himself out there if he thought it would help the kickoff coverage team.

But a call to Anthony Madison, who's unemployed right now, might be in order.

Keiwan Ratliff was inactive Sunday and rookie Keenan Lewis went down with a rib injury.

Ratliff could be released or Lewis could go on IR to make room for Madison, who was the Steelers' leader in special teams tackles in 2008.

Chris Kemoeatu was the only Steelers player named to Sports Illustrated's midseason All-Pro team by Peter King.

Sunday, Kemoeatu gave up a pair of sacks to somebody named Johnathan Fanene. He also was penalized once for holding Fanene.

I'm pretty sure Fanene was not on King's All-Pro team.

Just saying.

I'm sure Steelers fans are hitting the panic button right now after being swept by the Bengals.

But really, the Steelers still control their own destiny.

Sunday's loss will likely cost the Steelers any chance of a bye in the playoffs and could mean they might have to settle for a wildcard spot, but outside of Indianapolis and New England, who in the AFC playoff picture scares anyone?

Don't think for a second the Steelers wouldn't welcome a third game with Cincinnati.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 8:31 PM 0 comments Links to this post

BlastFurnace
11-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I like Dale's writing a lot, but we need to add Cincinnati as a team to fear. They beat Baltimore...twice...pretty handily and they swept us as well.

They may revert to form next year, but this year they are playing solid football.

stillers4me
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Don't think for a second the Steelers wouldn't welcome a third game with Cincinnati.

I'm sure our guys will be itching for a shot a redemption. But then so were the Ravens last year. Not trying to be pessimistic..I'm just sayin' it's certainly possible to beat a team 3 times in a row, as we all know.

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 08:22 PM
But a call to Anthony Madison, who's unemployed right now, might be in order.

Tony mentioned this in the Game Day thread and I have to agree - Madison was a beast on ST's and quite honestly, the ST's coverage really can't get much worse. DO IT.

stillers4me
11-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Tony mentioned this in the Game Day thread and I have to agree - Madison was a beast on ST's and quite honestly, the ST's coverage really can't get much worse. DO IT.

I was surprised when we cut him in the first place.

BlastFurnace
11-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Not to burst anyone's bubble...but Madison is a Colt now

supa_fly_steeler
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
why do we have logan, cut him, madison is more useful... put wallace at returner with moore... then go get ourselfs a good tackler in free agency.

Shoes
11-15-2009, 08:38 PM
why do we have logan, cut him, madison is more useful... put wallace at returner with moore... then go get ourselfs a good tackler in free agency.

Hurry!.....send this profound insight to Mike T. immediately!!!!!!!!! :chuckle:

SteeleReign
11-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Hurry!.....send this profound insight to Mike T. immediately!!!!!!!!! :chuckle:

Hahahahahahaha! :rofl::rofl:

SteelerFanInStl
11-15-2009, 09:24 PM

:iagree: I keep trying to tell people this but everyone still says to sign him.

Edman
11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
The more you deny it, the more it makes you like a bitter Browns fan.

The Bengals are better than us. They found our number and own it. They surpassed us. Like in 2006 when Baltimore swept the Steelers, you're just going to have to take the bite out of this **** sandwich and get on with your life.

Are the Steelers better than what they played today? Yes they are. But today was not our day. Cincy showed why they are 7-2.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Chris Kemoeatu was the only Steelers player named to Sports Illustrated's midseason All-Pro team by Peter King.

Sunday, Kemoeatu gave up a pair of sacks to somebody named Johnathan Fanene. He also was penalized once for holding Fanene.

I'm pretty sure Fanene was not on King's All-Pro team.

Just saying.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 8:31 PM 0 comments Links to this post

Just more proof that Dale Lolley is a crappy reporter. Fanene beat Spaeth for his 1st sack, not Kemo. Lolley just put it on Kemo because he thinks Fanene lines up over Kemo.

He also failed to mention that Starks got beat several times by Bengal rushers, one time wiffing terribly on rookie Michael Johnson. The pressure from the D-line definately rattled Ben, but there were no adjustments made despite the fact that the Bengals clearly stunted, overloaded or blitzed every time the Steelers went empty backfield.

Steelers got out coached by Lewis and his staff. Steelers D got outblocked by the Bengals O line and the Bengals front 7 outplayed the Steelers O line. The positive is....despite getting outplayed, the game was still very close.

tony hipchest
11-15-2009, 09:58 PM

:dang: unfortunately you are right. he was just highlighted on SNF with 2 patriots on him and smacking him down.

i wish we had that small dude back who commands double coverage.

oddly enough, the week he was cut and we passed on him, was the week the already obsolete c. davis was injured and became even more obsolete.

:doh:

KeiselPower99
11-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Eventually the Bengals picking in the top 5 for so many years was gonna produce a decent team.

stb_steeler
11-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Eventually the Bengals picking in the top 5 for so many years was gonna produce a decent team.

Exactly..... Thats the only advantage a team has when they lose so many years they get to pick the good ones out of the drafts... So whats the problem with the Rams....LoL

steeltheone
11-16-2009, 04:45 AM
Logan is doing a great job. He is a big plus!

markymarc
11-16-2009, 04:22 PM
I would have to say right now that if we did have to face the Bungles 1 more time this season, I think we would lose again. I can't believe I just said that, but it's very true. They own us this year! While I would love a redemption playoff game, I would be nervous as hell about being able to beat the Bungles.