PDA

View Full Version : Jefff Reed is a liability

rich4eagle
11-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Today, Jeff Reed pathetically overshadowed his pathetic performance two weeks ago against Percy Harvin. That time the Steelers escaped, this time they lost.

Two weeks ago he waved at Percy Harvin as he went by running a kick off for a TD. At least Harvin had to take one step sideways.

This week against Cincy, he never even altered the route of the returner as flailed never getting even five yards from the returner and as one commentator stated foolishly went off in the wilderness like he was chasing his dog to the sidelines

Earlier this year if he could make a field goal the Steelers would have won a game. Today, if he just could have slowed the returner down the Steelers may have won the game.

I suggest one of two solutions.

1. Seriously consider getting a new kicker who is a football player.

2. If he is so valuable he cannot be replaced on field goals, then sign someone else who can kick off and make an effort on special teams.

The Steelers cannot afford any more of his antics on kickoffs..........make plays or get off the field:tt04:

MACH1
11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Bitch and moan, bitch and moan.

Nadroj 20
11-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Jeff is spelled with 3 f's?

tony hipchest
11-15-2009, 09:38 PM
atleast he made all of his kicks.

Christian Snyder
11-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Kickers aren't trained to tackle, they're trained to kick..It's not his fault that the other 10 players can't tackle....Complain about the other 10 players on KR's, not Jeff Reed.

Jeff is spelled with 3 f's? You didn't know this? :chuckle:

steelreserve
11-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't really think tackling ability makes any difference in how good a kicker is. The kicker shouldn't be making the tackles anyway.

Reed's problem is that he can't get the ball into the end zone. And yeah, if we had someone who could kick it farther, I wish we'd use them on kickoffs. But unless Sepulveda can, I don't think we have anyone who can do that. So we're kind of stuck with it this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I was at least happy that Reed turned the runner inside to where he might have had help. Still wish he thought it was Pittsburgh 5-0 and put up his dukes. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah you're talking about the same Jeff Reed who scored all 12 points that Steelers Scored today.

Nadroj 20
11-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Kickers aren't trained to tackle, they're trained to kick..It's not his fault that the other 10 players can't tackle....Complain about the other 10 players on KR's, not Jeff Reed.

To be fair reed should not get special treatment because he is the kicker...he is apart of the special teams unit and ALL 11 guys are responsible.

I agree he shouldnt be put in the sitaution to tackle somone but he should be able to attempt to tackle somebody if need be. If not then he should just kick the ball and walk to the sideline.

Like i said ALL 11 guys are responsible and one guy shouldnt get special treatment just because he is the kicker, hes part of that unit as well

Dont get me wrong i like jeff reed for crying out loud he was our only offense today!! lol

AlleghanyAdams87
11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
How often does a kicker get bashed in a loss in which the kicker went 4-4 making all his fg attempts. He did what he is supposed to do as the last line of defense on special teams. Turned the runner back inside. He was kicking the ball the same distance last year when our coverage was one of the best in the league. This is a coaching error through and through, if you are relying on your kicker to make tackles, you have problems far beyond his inability to do so.

Christian Snyder
11-15-2009, 10:02 PM
How often does a kicker get bashed in a loss in which the kicker went 4-4 making all his fg attempts. He did what he is supposed to do as the last line of defense on special teams. Turned the runner back inside. He was kicking the ball the same distance last year when our coverage was one of the best in the league. This is a coaching error through and through, if you are relying on your kicker to make tackles, you have problems far beyond his inability to do so.
Well said...

GBMelBlount
11-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Earlier this year if he could make a field goal the Steelers would have won a game. Today, if he just could have slowed the returner down the Steelers may have won the game.

The Steelers cannot afford any more of his antics on kickoffs..........make plays or get off the field:tt04:

Look Rich, I am not a huge Reed fan besides his kicking either.

I like Skippy of the creamy variety and we have the one that is full of nuts.

However, 100% of the reason he is here is because of his kicking abilities.

To start a thread a thread hammering Reed, when there were so many other issues like special teams in general that are more pressing, while Reed performed at 100% for the job for which he was hired (as Tony pointed out), is a bit of an over reaction imo.

Nadroj 20
11-15-2009, 10:12 PM

What i dont like is the fact people want to get mad about the special teams but pull reed off to the side and hold his hand and say its ok you dont have to tackle if you dont want to....

The special teams is a problem, which incudes EVERYONE on special teams

Like i have said one hundred times i like reed and think hes a good kicker, but he needs to be included when talking about how poorly our ST is playing because he is on that unit

Just my opinion

psusteelers4life
11-15-2009, 10:13 PM
To be fair reed should not get special treatment because he is the kicker...he is apart of the special teams unit and ALL 11 guys are responsible.

I agree he shouldnt be put in the sitaution to tackle somone but he should be able to attempt to tackle somebody if need be. If not then he should just kick the ball and walk to the sideline.

Like i said ALL 11 guys are responsible and one guy shouldnt get special treatment just because he is the kicker, hes part of that unit as well

Dont get me wrong i like jeff reed for crying out loud he was our only offense today!! lol

Very well said, Atleast against the vikes he kinda tried to push the returner outta bounds. Today he just sort of ran by him, if he made a better attempt like trying to wrap his arms there was a pursuit coming behind him who knows it could have slowed the returner enough for them to catch up and tackle him, but still no excuse for the play of the coverge team they should make the tackle not your freakin kicker. But if he happens to be in the position he should atleast try a little harder not to let them take it to the house he is the safety man.

HometownGal
11-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Gary and I have both warned people about starting redundant threads and this most definitely falls into that category. We just went through this same :yawn: fest a few weeks back.

Don't like Reed? Fine - you're entitled to like or dislike any player you want.

Belabor the same issues over and over and over again and clog up the board with this nonsense? Not gonna happen here.

rich4eagle
11-16-2010, 11:21 PM
One year ago when Jeff Reed single handedly lost two games for the Steelers I said he needed to be cut. Earlier this year I repeated that same message. Last year before the schism here some of the former mods took great angst in my statements about Reed and deleted the thread about sending him packing.

Well, Steeler mgt finally caught on and Reed is gone.

Good riddance, that liability is no longer a liability

Now Tomlin needs to learn how manage an end game to be a good coach in the NFL.

So far his end game management is absymal:tt04:

Fire Arians
11-16-2010, 11:25 PM
3 years ago, i said fire arians

TRH
11-16-2010, 11:27 PM
3 years ago, i said fire arians

and 3 years from now, you'll probably still be saying it.........:chuckle:

rich4eagle
11-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Well, the offense certainly did not lose the game against NE or the game agaisnt Baltimore or let Cincy back in the game a week ago. Playing soft on D in the Q 4 has been the weakness of the Steelers the last few years

TRH
11-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Well, the offense certainly did not lose the game against NE or the game agaisnt Baltimore or let Cincy back in the game a week ago. Playing soft on D in the Q 4 has been the weakness of the Steelers the last few years

Thats right. If i was an opponent, i'd pass, pass, pass and more pass. In fact, i would put the ball in the air 60 times.

Fire Arians
11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
and 3 years from now, you'll probably still be saying it.........:chuckle:

:'(

tony hipchest
11-17-2010, 12:33 AM
One year ago when Jeff Reed single handedly lost two games for the Steelers I said he needed to be cut. Earlier this year I repeated that same message. Last year before the schism here some of the former mods took great angst in my statements about Reed and deleted the thread about sending him packing.

::chuckle: you posted a thread in negative light about "some of the mods" favorite player on the team.

unfortunately, back then, anyone would be banned, deleted, threatened, edited, infracted if they spoke negatively about skippy, arians, republicans, or anything else any of the mods had a personal affinity for.

personal preferences and agendas certainly got in the way of proper moderation. that is not the case now.

feel free to bash skippy or arians or anyone else, but pleaes understand we cannot allow 100 members to start individual "i called for skippy to be cut" threads.

Wallace108
11-17-2010, 12:45 AM

I hate to say it, but it seems like Arians lovers are relishing the fact that our defense is blowing games. They're not happy that we're losing or playing badly, of course, but when it does happen, they seem happy that it's the defense's fault.

Yeah, our defense is struggling, but the offense isn't doing much to help it out. You want to keep teams from scoring on us, keep their offense off the field with long, sustained drives, something BA's offenses have never been able to do. It's either a quick score or 3 and out.

tony hipchest
11-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I hate to say it, but it seems like Arians lovers are relishing the fact that our defense is blowing games. They're not happy that we're losing or playing badly, of course, but when it does happen, they seem happy that it's the defense's fault.

.deep down inside, arians lovers know they have hitched their wagon to a limp dicked horse, and will cling on to any sort of moral debate victory they think will help them save face.

ive seen it with the maddox lovers.

ive seen it with the mahan lovers.

ive seen it with the skippy lovers.

SOSDD.

most of those bashing dick lebeau have no concept of the concepts and philosophies behind the fire zone blitz. they think it means sending 6-7 blitzers on every down.

rich4eagle
11-17-2010, 11:55 AM
:chuckle: you posted a thread in negative light about "some of the mods" favorite player on the team.

unfortunately, back then, anyone would be banned, deleted, threatened, edited, infracted if they spoke negatively about skippy, arians, republicans, or anything else any of the mods had a personal affinity for.

personal preferences and agendas certainly got in the way of proper moderation. that is not the case now.

feel free to bash skippy or arians or anyone else, but pleaes understand we cannot allow 100 members to start individual "i called for skippy to be cut" threads.

Well, when I started the thread about Reed back then I was summarily slaughtered for wanting him gone. I think this year he has provided ample support to my argument. The thread I started last year criticized Reed for waving at people as they raced by on kick offs twice in a few games both times costing the Steelers a win. I do not post a lot and certainly do not appreciate my occasional posts being thrown to the back of the bus which just happened here. The thread I started should have been left to play itself out rather than being buried 11 pages down on a thread that started nearly a year ago which countered the position I established previouslyt. That thread I started a year ago and before this " must resign thread" was locked and closed because as you say some mod people did not like criticism of Reed.

I was the first to start a thread to get rid of Reed........so that thread was NEW. And that thread was locked. My new thread yesterday is in response to management's decision to see it my way at last. You insulted and belittled me and my foresight by throwing the new thread under the bus.

Thanks for your consideration.

tony hipchest
11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
:bump:

looks like all the redundant jeff reed love was the real nonsense. :coffee:

im gonna unlock this and let rich4eagle have his thread back. its a great example of how just because a mod or senior poster may have a certain affinity for a kicker or coach, their opinion isnt always right, and personal affection can cloud judgement.

I was the first to start a thread to get rid of Reed........so that thread was NEW. And that thread was locked. My new thread yesterday is in response to management's decision to see it my way at last. You insulted and belittled me and my foresight by throwing the new thread under the bus.

Thanks for your consideration. fair enough. since you feel that way (which wasnt the intent) i see where your thread was quickly locked and conversation halted, so i have given you your original thread back and put yesterdays posts in their appropriate thread that you started.

steelerchad
11-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Comon man. The offense most certainly did lose the Baltimore game. That game should have put away long before they got that last TD. The D gave up only 17 points and twice in the second half set up the offense in Baltimore territory with forced turnovers, where the Offense quickly went 3 and out on both possessions and forced long field goal attempts of 46 and 49, which Reed missed both. Cincy I'll give you the offense was good. NE, both sides of the ball were terrible, but it was the offense who went 3 and out at least 2 or 3 times to start the game and kept putting our D right back on the field. You don't have to score every possession, but multiple 3 and outs are tough on a D.

rich4eagle
11-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Well, now he is released. He cannot slow a runner so he is a liability on Kick off teams and lately he cannot make field goals either............

Smart move letting him go............and that is why Steeler Management remains one of the best in the NFL

and I will tell you right now........if I had the leg Jeff Reed has those two TD runbacks last year which cost us a playoff spot........would have seen way more than a wave by me..............

I would have at least slowed them down enough for someone to make a tackle...........and I am twice his age

glad to see you gone Jeff.......let's hope we get a replacement who plays hard every down............and kicks well

stb_steeler
11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Uh err hmm .. whada i do

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/stbsteeler/jeff_reed_krtphotoslive340928-SPORT.jpg

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2010, 04:48 PM
:chuckle: you posted a thread in negative light about "some of the mods" favorite player on the team.

He should have first claimed he heard Reed voted for Obama and then claimed Obama was a Reed fan before going after Reed - that thread would have been showcased

rich4eagle
11-17-2010, 05:05 PM
I thank Tony for considering my view...........and renewing the thread..........Which should have never been shot in the first place.............

and now the Great Steeler Front OFFICE agrees

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
I thank Tony for considering my view...........and renewing the thread..........Which should have never been shot in the first place.............

and now the Great Steeler Front OFFICE agrees

But 2 teams apparently disagree

Reed clears waivers, turns down two teams

Jeff Reed turned down offers from two teams to sign with them after he cleared waivers today, his agent said.

No team claimed Reed by 4 p.m. today after the Steelers placed him on waivers Tuesday. Agent Don Henderson said he expected he would go unclaimed because the team claiming him would have had to pay him the remaining $1.16 million on his salary as the Steelers' franchise player this season.

The Steelers must now pay that salary and Reed is an unrestricted free agent.

"We had three calls and two offers," Henderson said. "But we're not going to kick this weekend."

Henderson said Reed will take the rest of the week off after his release by the Steelers caught him by surprise. He has kicked for them since 2002.

Henderson declined to identify the teams but said they were obvious. Cincinnati, for one, was a likely suitor after placing kicker Mike Nugent on injured reserve this week.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10321/1104162-66.stm

Going to the Jets would be interesting - the New York media and sports talk stations would enjoy reporting on Skippy

plenewken
11-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Going to the Jets would be interesting - the New York media and sports talk stations would enjoy reporting on Skippy

My money is on the Jets.

lionslicer
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
This is why Reed is still a liability, forcing the Steelers to pay out his contract because he refuses to go to another team lol. Jets have a pretty terrible kicker.. But I'm surprised 2 teams actually asked for him.

caplovestroyp43
11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Hey answer a stoooopid question would you please? How did Jeff get the nickname of "Skippy?" I don't know the background to that and would appreciate any insite.

Thanks!!

Cap

rich4eagle
11-18-2010, 07:48 PM
I think time will tell Steeler management did the absolute right thing.......kickers are the biggest dime a dozen players even before the OL,,,,,,except in rare occasions.....Reed prove he was what he was......NOT GOOD