PDA

View Full Version : Backs against the wall again!

steelerchad
11-16-2009, 12:17 AM
The Steelers put themselves in another tough position Sunday by not winning a crucial game at home. This has been common place the last several years though. The Steelers never seem to close the door on an opponent, instead making it difficult on themselves. But in the end they always seem to find a way to get there in the end. Whether that means they'll win the division or go in as a wildcard, I have faith they'll be a factor at the end.
This team has a history of needing their backs against the wall to bring out the best in them. I suspect this year will be no different. I doubt the Bungals wan't to see us a 3rd time.

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 12:30 AM
We thrive so much better when we are the underdogs

fansince'76
11-16-2009, 12:31 AM
AFC seedings as of right now:

1. Colts (9-0)
2. Bengals (7-2)
3. Broncos (6-3 -3rd seed over NE due to head-to-head and over Chargers in AFCW due to head-to-head)
4. Pats (6-3)
5. Steelers (6-3 - 5th seed over SD due to head-to-head)
6. Chargers (6-3)

Still right in the thick of it.

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 12:37 AM
this race is FAR from over with

Edman
11-16-2009, 12:38 AM
The Steelers still have a shot at the division title. They just won't win any tiebreakers over Cincy. All it takes is one Steelers win and a Bengals Loss and it all knotted up again, almost.

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 12:46 AM
^and then another Bungles loss with a Steeler win and we're in 1st place :D
it's just a tougher road to the division win, but we can do it

stb_steeler
11-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Lets see how it plays out the rest of the way, for all we know Bungholes could lose another 2-3 games and the Steelers could win the rest of theres. Either way Steelers will be in the playoffs, if they want it bad enough they'll win it either the hard way or easy way.

Mags87
11-16-2009, 12:48 AM

1. Colts (9-0)
2. Bengals (7-2)
3. Broncos (6-3 -3rd seed over NE due to head-to-head and over Chargers in AFCW due to head-to-head)
4. Pats (6-3)
6. Chargers (6-3)

im liking having wins against both SD and DEN right now. as long as we take care of the ravens we should be in really great shape. gonna have to be bigger fans of who ever is playing Cincy for the next 7 weeks than normal.

fansince'76
11-16-2009, 12:55 AM
im liking having wins against both SD and DEN right now. as long as we take care of the ravens we should be in really great shape. gonna have to be bigger fans of who ever is playing Cincy for the next 7 weeks than normal.

Yeah, having head-to-head over Denver and SD is pretty big for us at the moment, but I think the clock struck midnight for the Broncos last Monday night against us and probably will wind up out of the playoffs over the next 7 weeks, but we'll see. We could certainly use another 5-6 game win streak.

SteelC7
11-16-2009, 02:01 AM
while im glad everyone isnt sayin bad stuff about ben and the rest of the team, lets be real, the steelers will most likely lose 2 more games, same with the bengals (look at the remaining schedules for both teams) bottom line-well get a wild card and most likely make it one round b4 losing to a better team, i hate to lay it out like that cuz i gotta keep faith in the steelers, but u gotta be real so were not disappointed...today showed me the steelers arent wat they were last year, way too many blown oppurtunities, and a failed possible game winning drive at the end, that special teams TD proved to be the difference, we just dont play as well as last year, and our offense goes invisible too much, and of course ben has to throw his mandatory INT at least once a game...maybe im frustrated and venting, but this team is just so damn frustrating, i was goin nuts during the game...the bungles will win the division, but well get a wild card and maybe the switch will go on in the heads of the offense and theyll start scoring TDs, not FGs!!! hate to be negative and i wont after today but i had to lay it out cuz we cant all just start using fairy dust and wishing for the division win and another super bowl victory

stillers4me
11-16-2009, 06:29 AM
while im glad everyone isnt sayin bad stuff about ben and the rest of the team, lets be real, the steelers will most likely lose 2 more games, same with the bengals (look at the remaining schedules for both teams) bottom line-well get a wild card and most likely make it one round b4 losing to a better team, i hate to lay it out like that cuz i gotta keep faith in the steelers, but u gotta be real so were not disappointed...today showed me the steelers arent wat they were last year, way too many blown oppurtunities, and a failed possible game winning drive at the end, that special teams TD proved to be the difference, we just dont play as well as last year, and our offense goes invisible too much, and of course ben has to throw his mandatory INT at least once a game...maybe im frustrated and venting, but this team is just so damn frustrating, i was goin nuts during the game...the bungles will win the division, but well get a wild card and maybe the switch will go on in the heads of the offense and theyll start scoring TDs, not FGs!!! hate to be negative and i wont after today but i had to lay it out cuz we cant all just start using fairy dust and wishing for the division win and another super bowl victory

Dude......chill.

The Bengals have to go to San Diego and Minnesota yet, two team we beat at home. Why are poeple so afraid that the Bengals can win out over tough teams and we can't over losing teams? I'm not looking for Ben to have many more bad games.

The toughest challenge we have is beating the spiraling Raven twice. Granted, the always give us their best and it will be bloody, but I'll take our schedule over the Bengals next 7 games anyday.

GBMelBlount
11-16-2009, 06:57 AM
SteelC7

..today showed me the steelers arent wat they were last year, way too many blown oppurtunities,

I could not disagree more strongly.

If not for the 4 4th quarter comebacks last season we could have EASILY gone 8-8.

So I don't understand this "sky is falling" mentality or that we are not as good.

We are 6-3 this year with a top shelf defense & a MUCH better offense.

The main chink in our armor, special teams, has become apparent and fortunately we have the time (and personel) to correct this, as I am of the opinion it is not due to lack of talent but lack of execution.

That IS fixable, friend.

So I feel pretty good right now. :thumbsup:

solardave
11-16-2009, 06:57 AM
it's just a tougher road to the division win, but we can do it

Remember we still have to play the Ravens twice. They already disposed of them. And I don't care how bad the Rats play everyone else they always play us tough. This is not a good situation to be thinking we'll still win the division.

plenewken
11-16-2009, 07:08 AM

No we're not. We'd be 2nd because of the tie-breaker. To be 1st in our Division we'll have to have 2 more Ws than them.

fansince'76
11-16-2009, 09:47 AM

How so? We were 6-3 last year after 9 games as well. :coffee:

4xSBChamps
11-16-2009, 09:59 AM
If not for the 4 4th quarter comebacks last season we could have EASILY gone 8-8.

too-many people forget this fact

'em Stillers' special teams is porous, and the general 'intensity' this year is lacking, compared to last year's team, but they still have 7 weeks to turn this around, and the Champion's swagger from last year to do-so.

Edman
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
The Steelers had equally gut-wrenching losses last year where Ben didn't play well and the whole offense was completely off. Must I redirect you guys to the Eagles and Giants games? Or how about the Colt game?

Okay. Ben's double-edged gunslinger mentality is going to have games like this. He's a risk-taker. This time the risk taking backfired.

markymarc
11-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Still plenty of time left. A lot can happen in 7 games. Like they say "Any given Sunday". While highly unlikely the Bungles could still lose a couple games. The bottom line is we have to take care of our own business and no more "stinker" games like yesterday.

Psyychoward86
11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
The Steelers put themselves in another tough position Sunday by not winning a crucial game at home. This has been common place the last several years though. The Steelers never seem to close the door on an opponent, instead making it difficult on themselves. But in the end they always seem to find a way to get there in the end. Whether that means they'll win the division or go in as a wildcard, I have faith they'll be a factor at the end.
This team has a history of needing their backs against the wall to bring out the best in them. I suspect this year will be no different. I doubt the Bungals wan't to see us a 3rd time.

The hell they dont! Everytime loss cooks up a bigger storm in Pittsburgh :tt03:

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Remember we still have to play the Ravens twice. They already disposed of them. And I don't care how bad the Rats play everyone else they always play us tough. This is not a good situation to be thinking we'll still win the division.

I know we have to play the Ravens twice. We beat them 3 times last year

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 06:28 PM
No we're not. We'd be 2nd because of the tie-breaker. To be 1st in our Division we'll have to have 2 more Ws than them.

the tie-breaker only comes in when we have the same record as the Bengals. if our record is better than them, there are no tie-breakers

AllD
11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Cincy has to travel to Oakland, Minnesota, and San Diego. That is a lot of miles. They could drop all three and we could still drop two making us even and losing a tie breaker.

Should reopen the 2005 thread to bring back the magic. But this time we are coming off the second of two championships and it could just be taking its toll. Time for a fire breathing sermon from the pulpit.

SMR
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
HEY HEY HEY!! ALL I KNOW IS THAT WE NEED TO BRING BACK THE INTENSITY AND SWAGGER OF LAST YEAR!

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt::tt::tt::h elmet::helmet::helmet:

SteelerEmpire
11-16-2009, 09:04 PM

1. Colts (9-0)
2. Bengals (7-2)
4. Pats (6-3)
6. Chargers (6-3)

Dats wat I'm sayin........:jammin:

Texasteel
11-16-2009, 10:19 PM

dave all we have to do is get into the playoffs, even if it is as a wild card team. Then every team is 0-0. We took that path before, remember.

markymarc
11-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Just get in the playoffs and the rest will take care of itself :tt02:

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
We have a nice history of finishing strong...it's completely plausible to go 6-1 and finish 12-4 and I'm sure the rest will take care of itself...Hell, we could still finish 13-3. Nothing to worry about at all this early in the year...

LambertWardSteel
11-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Dude......chill.

The Bengals have to go to San Diego and Minnesota yet, two team we beat at home. Why are poeple so afraid that the Bengals can win out over tough teams and we can't over losing teams? I'm not looking for Ben to have many more bad games.

The toughest challenge we have is beating the spiraling Raven twice. Granted, the always give us their best and it will be bloody, but I'll take our schedule over the Bengals next 7 games anyday.

Very well said.

In my opinion Cincy is not an elite team. Most likely they get losses at the Vikes and Chargers. There could also be a flukey loss against one of the teams they are expected to beat. Maybe it happens this week with an unexpected Oakland loss, and with a Steeler win, we're only looking at a 1 game defecit with 6 remaining. A 4-3 Bengal finish, and a 6-1 Steeler finish are possible. We're only at the midway point of the season so anything can happen.

It could be tough keeping Cincy's mindset away from the belief they've already accomplished something. They are so used to their Super Bowl being the Steeler games every year that they may have trouble maintaining. This was one week 9 game that carried a lot of weight, but there are 7 games left. I wonder if Clark's comments after the game about Cincy having won the division were a little from the pyschological warfare angle.