View Full Version : Comeback incomplete for Big Ben, Steelers

mesaSteeler
11-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Comeback incomplete for Big Ben, Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_653414.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 16, 2009

A defense that has not allowed a touchdown in the past two weeks forced the Cincinnati Bengals to kick a field goal late in a slumbering game Sunday afternoon.

That set up a made-for-Ben Roethlisberger moment.

And free safety Ryan Clark and probably more than a few fans at packed but subdued Heinz Field had no doubt the Steelers quarterback would deliver as he has done so many times in his career.

"He's one of the premier quarterbacks in the league and definitely one of the premier two-minute quarterbacks in the NFL," said Clark, the Steelers' starting free safety. "My thing is, we're going to go down there and score. Offense will get the praise, but we'll get the win as a team."

The Steelers ended up with neither.

And, as a result of an 18-12 loss, the Steelers were swept by their AFC North rivals for the first time since 1998.

On an unseasonably warm day, Roethlisberger couldn't move the offense so much as a yard after the Steelers, facing a six-point deficit, got the ball back with a little less than two minutes to play.

Roethlisberger threw four consecutive incompletions, which may have been a fitting end to a game in which the Steelers' offense played with two left feet.

The Steelers (6-3) never got in any kind of rhythm, and they didn't score an offensive touchdown for the first time since last November.

Roethlisberger couldn't quite explain what exactly happened.

"Something was weird about the day," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if it was the weather in November, I don't know what it was. Everyone was just kind of different. But no excuse, we need to play better."

Roethlisberger put himself at the top of the list following what was perhaps his worst game since throwing three interceptions in a loss to Indianapolis last November.

He entered the game tied with Peyton Manning for the best completion percentage in the NFL at almost 71 percent. Yet, he completed just 20 of 40 passes against the Bengals for 174 yards.

He also threw an interception early in the second half, which set up one of four field goals that Cincinnati's Shayne Graham kicked.

The Bengals (7-2) had something to do with Roethlisberger's scattershot passing and the Steelers' hideous play on third downs.

They sacked Roethlisberger four times and knocked down a handful of his passes.

The Bengals kept Roethlisberger from beating them by largely keeping him from getting outside the pocket, where he is most dangerous.

"I thought defensively the key to the game was once we could get Ben contained and corralled, how well we played on third down," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

Indeed, the Steelers were just 1 for 13 on third-down conversions following their first possession of game.

"We just didn't play well," Roethlisberger said. "It's going to happen sometimes, and it's behind us now. It's a big loss. It hurts, but how can we rebound?"

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Steelers>NFL
11-16-2009, 08:18 AM
I could not anderstand, with 2 minutes left in the game on your own 36 yard line,
why Ben was throwing the ball 20-3- yards down field - incomplete. What happened to
dink and dunk 10 yards at a time. The Bengals were in prevent defense. They went 4 and out!!!
This pissed me off big time. Such careless play...

stlrtruck
11-16-2009, 09:14 AM
The entire game was incomplete, so why not the last attempt at a comeback.

madtowndrunkard
11-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I still would like to hear an explanation of what was going on with Ben. It was like watching a different QB out there. I can understand a bad game but that was beyond a bad game for Ben. He completely played a different game. His whole demeanor was different. He acted like he didn't even care. He played with no urgency. That last drive of the game was a joke. He should have just dropped a knee.

Why was he trying to force everything deep? It seemed like he was forcing passes to Wallace and Holmes all game. I also don't understand why Arians didn't notice that Ben was not him self....he was totally unable to deal w/ the pass rush. The Bengals were coming on every passing down....so why not burn them w/ a screen, maybe a draw? That was a strange game offensively. Yea the Bengals played a good game defensively but our Offense was still not it self. The way our offense played we should have been killed. That was like watching a rookie QB on a bad team.

The_WARDen
11-16-2009, 09:45 AM
My biggest issue with the game plan was the 40 pass attempts to only 18 rushes.
WTF??? Especially against Cincy...at least make them prove they could stop the run consistantly...I know I know Mendenhall only averaged a little over 3 YPA but he only had 13 carries.

The other issue is not going to the nohuddle...not even tonce o try and change the pace.

stlrtruck
11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I still would like to hear an explanation of what was going on with Ben. It was like watching a different QB out there. I can understand a bad game but that was beyond a bad game for Ben. He completely played a different game. His whole demeanor was different. He acted like he didn't even care. He played with no urgency. That last drive of the game was a joke. He should have just dropped a knee.

Why was he trying to force everything deep? It seemed like he was forcing passes to Wallace and Holmes all game. I also don't understand why Arians didn't notice that Ben was not him self....he was totally unable to deal w/ the pass rush. The Bengals were coming on every passing down....so why not burn them w/ a screen, maybe a draw? That was a strange game offensively. Yea the Bengals played a good game defensively but our Offense was still not it self. The way our offense played we should have been killed. That was like watching a rookie QB on a bad team.

It was almost like watching Maddox out there again.

Edman
11-16-2009, 02:21 PM
That wasn't Big Ben out there. It was an imposter duplicate. No player who thrives in that situation so many times before just lays down and crumbles like that. Two Minutes. One Timeout.

He lacked the Big Ben trademark moxy, he looked frightened, he looked shellshocked. He looked like Eli Manning out there. Like he was scared of the Bengals. I know the Bengals wanted to keep "Ben" in the pocket, and they did a good job of that, but "Ben's" play was just inexcusable. That was pretty bad.

Wherever the real Big Ben disappeared off to. We'd like to have him back please. Maybe he forgot to board the plane back from Denver.

Steel_12
11-16-2009, 04:32 PM
It was almost like watching Maddox out there again.

Turnover Tommy...bad memories!!!

X-Terminator
11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
People...Ben is going to have a bad game every now and then. They happen to the best of them. It's unfortunate that it happened in a big game, but they do happen. No QB is perfect. I guess calling for Batch is next (and before you say anything, there was a caller after the game on Bob Pompeani's show who was about to go there before he cut him off).

Cut him some slack, sheesh!

stlrtruck
11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
People...Ben is going to have a bad game every now and then. They happen to the best of them. It's unfortunate that it happened in a big game, but they do happen. No QB is perfect. I guess calling for Batch is next (and before you say anything, there was a caller after the game on Bob Pompeani's show who was about to go there before he cut him off).

Cut him some slack, sheesh!

I'm not blaming him per se I'm just saying he wasn't himself and closely resembled Maddox with his play on Sunday. I'm definitely for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

arge5809
11-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Seems like everyone is DOWN on the team! WTF! :doh: Everyone has a bad day!

:tt03: :tt02: :tt04: :tt: