PDA

View Full Version : Why not run it?

TheRuneMeister
11-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Prior to yesterdays matchup, Mendenhall has been lighting it up. Most recently with 155 yards on 22 carries against the Broncos. Then, in the game that could determine 1st and 2nd place in the division they decide to give Mendenhall 13 carries (for 36 yards). In my opinion they should have pounded Mendenhall all night (that sounded wrong) and that was exactly what I was expecting them to do. Seems like BA got scared when looking at the Bengals rush defensive ranking and decided that it couldn't be done. I know that averaging 2.8 yards doesn't look to good, but they should have given him the chance to do something about it later in the game.
+2.8 yards forward in the hands of Rashard is better that -5 yards in the hands of Ben.

Steelers>NFL
11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I wished they had ran more too. I think they would have done ok.
But BA has a tendacy to abandon the run too fast.

TX Steelerfan
11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm writing this loss off as a complete sleepwalk for all involved in the offense and special teams, with a pass for the defense, since they did all they could without their star player for most of the game. Certainly, Arians is not exempt from criticism for lack of creativity. I think as the game went on, all of us watching this game had that sick feeling that the Bengals knew exactly what was coming next.

We started the game with a few quick screens that worked well. We gave the ball to Moore on a fullback dive for a 1st down conversion. Mendenhall was fighting for extra yards just about every carry (and how about him making himself "skinny" for a good gain where there seemed to be no hole?).

Then it all crashed, and Arians decided to go to the air and the predictable shotgun on 3rd down and abandon the run for the most part. You have an OL that has been run blocking well for several weeks, one of the best blocking TE's in Miller and WR's in Ward, and a TE/HB in D. Johnson that has done well in lead blocking. Even if we don't score by running, a team can at least change the field position to their advantage and eventually give your offense a short field.

"You set up the pass by running". Arians must have forgotten that yesterday.

scsteeler
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Oh Boy not another OC that is not coaching in the NFL. The Bengals won, we lost. Time to move on and not dwell on what we should have or not have done. Had we ran all day and got stuffed the statements would be why did we not pass more.

VinnySteel
11-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Oh Boy not another OC that is not coaching in the NFL. The Bengals won, we lost. Time to move on and not dwell on what we should have or not have done. Had we ran all day and got stuffed the statements would be why did we not pass more.

I'll paraphrase a comment I've heard somewhere before: isn't the purpose of a discussion board to discuss stuff?

I was watching the game and thought the running game was looking pretty good. I love runs of 3 or 4 yards early because I think that those same runs will be 6 or 8+ yards later in the game. I really didn't see why we got pass-happy in the 4th quarter, we shot ourselves in the foot.

TheRuneMeister
11-16-2009, 02:12 PM
scsteeler, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass about it. I was simply asking what seemed like a pretty relevant question regarding the number of touches that Mendenhall got yesterday. Don't tell me that everytime you think a referee, coach, or player does something wrong you simply lean back and say 'oh well...they play/coach/ref in the NFL so they can't possibly be wrong'. You probably scream at the TV like everyone else. If you don't...then whats the point of watching football? :wink02:

tony hipchest
11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Oh Boy not another OC that is not coaching in the NFL. The Bengals won, we lost. Time to move on and not dwell on what we should have or not have done. Had we ran all day and got stuffed the statements would be why did we not pass more.we are not the eagles, yet thats exactly who we played like yesterday (minus actually scoring td's or gaining more than 200 yds through the air.

eagles- 56 pass/13 rush

steelers- 40 pass/18 rush (1 of which was a qb sneak, and another a failed pass play where ben scrambled for 15 yds)

ben had a 15 yd run. moore had runs of 12 and 9 yds. mendenhall a run of 10, and even willies lone run went for 7 yds.

our 5 longest pass plays went for 21, 16, 11, 11, 11 yds.

:doh:

mesaSteeler
11-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Below are the pass attempts vs run for every game this year.

Game Pass Attempts vs Run Result
Titians 43 36 W
Bears 25 22 L
Bengals 31 28 L
Chargers 34 36 W
Lions 30 21 W
Browns 35 36 W
Vikings 26 20 W
Broncos 29 29 W
Bengals 40 18 L

It seems clear in Sunday's game BA went pass happy. When things don't go well BA reaches for the long ball.

Psyychoward86
11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
we couldnt run, we couldnt pass. So were gonna run it? The monster difference that wouldve made with us playing from behind the entire game

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
they threw it 31 times and ran 26 times in the last lose to the bungles.... nobody complained when they only ran it 18 times against tenn, 17 times against detroit, or 12 times against minny ...:noidea:

markymarc
11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm writing this loss off as a complete sleepwalk for all involved in the offense and special teams

This about sums it up for me!

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Another "Why didn't BA run more thread"?

Another "Why didn't Ben audible to the run more?" answer....

He DOES have the ability to at least audible, if not flat-out call his own plays...