PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger had weird feelings about Bengals game

mesaSteeler
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Roethlisberger had weird feelings about Bengals game
November 16, 6:27 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m11d16-Roethlisberger-had-weird-feelings-about-Bengals-game#

PITTSBURGH - Ben Roethlisberger is a competitor. He is having a Pro Bowl year, one in which he is on pace to smash Terry Bradshaw’s team record for passing yards in a season.

But when it comes to the game of football, mojo is a big thing. After the Steelers 18-12 loss to the Bengals, Roethlisberger admitted coming into the contest he had a weird feeling.

“From the get go something was just missing. Something was weird about the day," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if it was the weather in November, I don't know what it was. Seemed like even the crowd in the beginning, everyone just kind of different, everything was different. But no excuse, we need to play better."

Roethlisberger was sacked four times. He had a passer rating of 51.5, tossed an interception and had just 174 yards in the air. While he was able to move the team down the field, when it came to the Red Zone and third down conversions, the offense sputtered against the Bengals.

“This may not make sense, but we did things we don’t normally don’t do and we didn’t do things we normally do,” Roethlisberger said. “We weren’t good in the red zone, we weren’t good in the pass, and we weren’t good in the run and just didn’t play well. Offensively, I didn’t play well. I played bad and it starts with me up there. So I have to make corrections and adjustments and pick up my play.

More than once, Roethlisberger shouldered the blame showing the leader he is, and also credited the Bengals defense.

“We got down there and had some great plays, they just batted down some balls and got some pressure, when we had guys open, and they played well.” Roethlisberger said. “ We just didn’t make the plays we normally do and it’s frustrating, but coach always says we don’t evaluate too early, it hurts but we move on.”

HIT OF THE DAY – In the third quarter on a third down play and the Bengals Carson Palmer hit tight end J.P. Foshi for a six yard gain. Tyrone Carter immediately knocked him back five yards with his monstrous hit.

GUTSY CALL – It’s the fouth quarter, there is 13:35 left in the game. The score is 12-9 and the Steelers are on the Cincinnati 11-yard line. Instead of got for a field goal to tie things up Tomlin gambled and went for it on a fourth and one. Roethlisberger got the first down, but

WHERE’S WARD? - He was one of the league’s leading receivers to start the season, but for a second consecutive week, wasn’t a big player in the offensive scheme. On the afternoon, he had just four receptions for 24 yards. While he would like to have played a bigger role and wasn’t happy with the loss, Ward also said there is plenty of season left.

"It's tough,'' said Ward. "But the season is not over. Anything can happen. They did what they had to do for the year. Is the season over? No.''

LOGANS RUN - While the return game with Logan has been much improved, the special teams unit once again allowed yet another touchdown. This time it was the unheralded Bernard Scott, who took Jeff Reeds kick back 96 yards for the score.

Admittedly, Logan who was given a roster spot for his return ability, says not being able to do the same is frustrating.

“I put a lot of pressure on myself, because we have had three kickoffs run back on ourselves, and there have been 11 returned this year,” Logan said. “ I’m not the type of guy who sits on it and weeps about it, but I have to do a lot better myself returning those kicks to put my team in a better position.”

SEEING RED – The Bengals were the top team in the league when it came to scoring touchdowns from the Red Zone. On Sunday the Steelers defense kept them out. But none of the unit found solace in that fact.

“ We had some chances where we had to come away with making plays, to give the offense a short field and where they could get some points on the board,” cornerback Ike Taylor said. “ We didn’t make those plays. And nine times out of ten, when you don’t make those plays they keep kicking field goals.”

QUOTABLE - We came in here today with the intent on playing winning football, whatever that entails, you know style points is not something that we’re highly concerned about. We weren’t able to put together enough plays to win the football game and that’s the reality of it.

markymarc
11-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Don't sweat it Ben. The game is over with and now put your energy into the Chiefs. Bring it strong down the stretch :tt02:

Tankus_Maximus
11-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow...so Ben had a "feeling within the force", or a hint that "something was wrong with the matrix". It's funny cuz I had the same feeling everytime I saw him get sacked, but the feeling was especially strong when the announcers said that Taz had gotten injured and his return was doubtful.

stillers4me
11-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I had that feeling about the first game. Hubby snagged tickets to the game and was mad because I didn't want to go and put up with Bengals fans. I relented and have now vowed never to step foot in that rathole again.

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
yesterday was just a weird day.
Let's move on and kick some Kansas City butts

Nadroj 20
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
I had that feeling about the first game. Hubby snagged tickets to the game and was mad because I didn't want to go and put up with Bengals fans. I relented and have now vowed never to step foot in that rathole again.

Wow i know it must be different because you have to put up with that crap every day but if i had a chance to go to a cincy game in cincy i would stuff cotton balls in my ears and go! LOL :toofunny:

Like i said though i havent went through the crap you have before im sure lol

SteelCityMom
11-16-2009, 05:34 PM
yesterday was just a weird day.
Let's move on and kick some Kansas City butts

Yeah, I agree...it was just one of those days. Every good team has them.

The Redskins beating the Broncos, GB beating the Cowboys and the Saints almost losing to the Rams made for a very weird Sunday indeed.

I don't expect Ben and the team to be perfect every Sunday, just hope they don't dwell on it too long, take away the needed lessons from this loss and move forward as a team.

stillers4me
11-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow i know it must be different because you have to put up with that crap every day but if i had a chance to go to a cincy game in cincy i would stuff cotton balls in my ears and go! LOL :toofunny:

Like i said though i havent went through the crap you have before im sure lol

I have been down there 3 times ....yes it's wonderful to see our team in Cinci, but my next game will be in beloved Heinz Field. We went two years ago and nothing compares.

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I agree...it was just one of those days. Every good team has them.

The Redskins beating the Broncos, GB beating the Cowboys and the Saints almost losing to the Rams made for a very weird Sunday indeed.

I don't expect Ben and the team to be perfect every Sunday, just hope they don't dwell on it too long, take away the needed lessons from this loss and move forward as a team.

no one is perfect every game, including the greats. Usually after the offense has a bad game we come out firing in the next one. We are very good about not dwelling on the last loss and being able to move on.

SMR
11-16-2009, 06:44 PM
no one is perfect every game, including the greats. Usually after the offense has a bad game we come out firing in the next one. We are very good about not dwelling on the last loss and being able to move on.

I sure hope you're right cuz last time we lost, we lost TWO in a row (dwell much?)

tony hipchest
11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
so he had a weird feeling ever since he saw the game plan that was installed?

“From the get go something was just missing.

you mean like running plays?

(i must add that the crowd was as quiet as i can ever remember hearing them. i wonder if preacher subdued them?)

HometownGal
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM

She shoots and scores!!! :thumbsup::applaudit:

Yesterday's game is over and pondering over the ifs, whys and becauses only raises our blood pressures but doesn't change the outcome. I have no doubt the Steelers will put it behind them and direct their focus on next week's matchup with the Chiefs. I think we as Steelers fans should consider doing the same.

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 07:01 PM
I sure hope you're right cuz last time we lost, we lost TWO in a row (dwell much?)

we lost 2 in a row last season too didn't we? we've learned from that and we'll move on.

We've got to be optimistic. It's the only way to look at things now

tony hipchest
11-16-2009, 07:14 PM
i remember a coupla years ago ben saying something to the effect that he'd like the liberty to throw the ball around the field like carson palmer.

it seemed like yesterdays game plan was more designed with keeping ben in line for the pro-bowl with the likes of manning, brady, schaub, (might as well throw carton pal mal in that group), with winning as an afterthought.

ironically it is carton and the bengals more focused on playing steelers ball.

swept by the bungles for the 1st time in 11 years. :dang: the only thing more embarrassing would be getting swept by the browns.

05 and 06 still serves as a good reminder of how important one of these rivalry games is, and unfortunately i still cant sweep the games we pissed away in 06 (as defending champs) under the rug.

8-8 and we missed the playoffs. 9-7 and we woulda been in. this year (like last) another 11-5 team is likely to miss the playoffs.

OX1947
11-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I know exactly what he means. I had feelings like that when I played. Its weird. I never could describe it but he described it well. Something in the air that makes the feeling before the game weird and uncertain. It only happened in Football too.

TheWarDen86
11-16-2009, 07:39 PM
The only "weird feeling" I got was throwing the bomb on 2nd and 10 in the last 1:52 (or so). I thought that was a strange call. Maybe that's why they did it, who knows but the chances for success there have to be low. There was plenty of time and we had a time out.

Oh well, it is what it is. I'm STILL not sold on the puddy tats. Maybe I should be as 5-1 in this division "ain't" easy.

#1 Big Ben Fan
11-16-2009, 09:28 PM
No excuses the Steelers offense had a bad day and that happens so end of story. This team has to much talent on offense to have many bad days in a course of a season. I know the offense will rebound and the Steelers are not even out of the division race. There is still 7 games to go and the Bengals have three tough road games left. I also could see the Bengals losing a game they're supposed to win against a poor team.

iloveben7
11-16-2009, 09:53 PM
^Ben didn't say that was an excuse for why him and the offense played bad

stlrtruck
11-17-2009, 07:59 AM
What I do get tired of hearing is these players saying, "We need to play better!"

We as the fans can make that assessment too, but we don't play the game. So for all 53 men on the active roster do us all a favor for the next 7 games - stop talking about playing a better game and JUST DO IT! PLEASE!!!!!

stillers4me
11-17-2009, 05:12 PM
" Something was weird about the day," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if it was the weather in November, I don't know what it was. Seemed like even the crowd in the beginning, everyone just kind of different, everything was different."

That was the smell of Bengal piss, Ben.

Fire Haley
11-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Well I am shocked, shocked, I tell you, that Ben dares call out the fans.

He should be cut immediately!

Where's the outrage?