PDA

View Full Version : Belichick flunked his open-book test

mesaSteeler
11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Belichick flunked his open-book test
Patriots genius puts himself in a corner with faulty logic
By Gene Wojciechowski

The New England Patriots should be 7-2 today. They should be getting treatment for welts caused by postgame backslaps. They should be basking in the afterglow of going to Indianapolis and beating Peyton Manning and the Colts at Hearing Loss Stadium.

Instead, they're 6-3 and getting treatment for shock. Not only did they lose a game, but they probably lost something more important: home-field advantage during the AFC playoffs.

And oh, by the way, it's all Bill Belichick's fault.
:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuc kle::chuckle:

Maybe his headset was too tight and it squeezed the blood from his brain. Maybe it was so loud in Lucas Oil Stadium Sunday night that he said, "No,'' but quarterback Tom Brady thought he said, "Go."

Or maybe one of the greatest coaches who ever stood on an NFL sideline screwed up. (Belicheat - Greatest Coach? :puke: - mesa)

With 2 minutes, 8 seconds remaining in the game, with the ball on the Patriots' 28-yard line, and with one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game standing at his side, Belichick decided to go for it. Not play it safe and punt. Not make the Colts drive 50, 60, 70 yards for the game-winning touchdown. But go for it in a "Top Gun" "I've got a need for speed" sort of way, even though everybody is staring at their TVs and saying -- no, screaming -- "What is he doing?!"

Not me. I knew what Brady was going to do. He was going to drop into the shotgun formation and try to use a hard count to coax the anxious Colts defensive line into a 5-yard penalty. Fourth down would become a gift first down.

And it did.

For the Colts.

Patriots running back Kevin Faulk bobbled Brady's pass long enough for the Colts to knock him just short of the first-down line. Belichick couldn't challenge the mark because he was out of timeouts. And, hello, here comes one of the other best quarterbacks in the history of the game -- Manning.

Four plays later the Colts have a 35-34 victory, a 9-0 record and are driving the lead car in the AFC Home-Field Advantage 500.

The Patriots? Well, did you see Brady's face as the Colts covered those 29 yards? It was a combo facial platter of seething anger, disbelief and "How did we just lose this game?" :chuckle: :chuckle:

And the postgame handshake between Belichick and Colts coach Jim Caldwell was as warm as an ice floe.

You can rationalize the decision any way you want, but Belichick cost the Patriots a crucial victory. Two yards isn't six inches. This wasn't a gimme quarterback sneak; it was a pass, where lots of things can -- and did -- go wrong. The first wrong thing was going for the first down. The second wrong thing was Faulk's bobble. The third wrong thing was not having any timeouts to challenge the mark of the ball after Melvin Bullitt's tackle.

Both Brady and Belichick defended the call. Of course, they did. That's what they're supposed to do. What, Brady is going to say the Patriots' offense, which finished with 477 total yards, couldn't finish with 479? He's going to argue against the fourth-down play? No way.

But where Belichick's logic springs a very large leak is why he chose Brady and fourth-and-2 over the Patriots' defense and first-and-70. That's about how many yards Manning presumably would have had to cover in the final 117 seconds (but with the two-minute warning and one Colts timeout).

If Belichick was worried that his defense couldn't stop the Colts from scoring a touchdown from 70 yards out, why would he possibly think it could stop them from scoring one from 29 yards out? Brain freeze.

Giving Manning two minutes with the equivalent of two timeouts from his own 30 is taking a chance. He's that good. But giving him two minutes with the equivalent of two timeouts from the Patriots' 29 is football suicide. Just the thought of that scenario should have served as an ammonia capsule under Belichick's nose. Punt.

Instead, Belichick made the wrong choice at the wrong time against the wrong quarterback. As an added bonus, he sent a big bouquet of "I don't trust you" flowers to the Patriots' defense. He rolled the bones on one play rather than taking his chances with however many plays -- six, seven? -- the Colts would have had in those remaining 117 seconds.

Belichick has done so many things right during his Patriots coaching career that it's a stunner when he does something so wrong. But this was a total miscalculation of the percentages. In the pressure of the moment, he forgot how to do the football math.

Manning, Caldwell and the Colts were presented a gift late Sunday night. I just never imagined Belichick would be the guy who wrapped it.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com.

(Thought this article might cheer everyone up a bit. It certainly brightened my day. - mesa)

mesaSteeler
11-16-2009, 05:13 PM
New England Fans Upset With Belichick
Publish Date: Today, 11:45 AM ET Duration: 01:46
See Link for Video

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4659824

fansince'76
11-16-2009, 05:18 PM
What torques me off is that those POSes still have a 2-game lead in their division with the exact same record we have.

Edman
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
The Chowder heads with few exceptions have basically had the division handed to them for years when the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills have all been mediocre to awful. Nowhere near as tough as the AFC North.

AllD
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
He is another one who reads his own press clippings. Wouldn't it be funny if we were the ones who had to knock off the Colts in the playoffs?

HometownGal
11-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Or maybe one of the biggest cheating* farces who ever stood on an NFL sideline screwed up.

There. Fixed. :thumbsup:

Belidick was the victim of his own arrogance. Karma's a bitch.

4xSBChamps
11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
New England Fans Upset With Belichick

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Patriotfansest2002.jpg

mesaSteeler
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Belichick gaffe unrivaled
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/11/16/belichick_gaffe_unrivaled?mode=PF
By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist | November 16, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - Ghastly.

This was as bad as anything the Red Sox ever did. Had it been a playoff game, it would be right up there with Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, Aaron Boone, and History Derailed in Glendale, Ariz.

And Bill Belichick played the part of Grady Little.

The Patriots lost to the undefeated Colts in unbelievable fashion last night. Leading, 31-14 in the fourth quarter, and 34-21 with 2:30 remaining, the Patriots took the choke and lost to their hated rivals, 35-34.

So the conference is gone, the playoff bye is probably bye-bye, and the (6-3) Patriots are saddled with a loss that will haunt them for the rest of the season.

And Belichick gets the blame. Too smart for his own good this time. The sin of hubris.

Here’s the situation: With the Patriots leading, 34-28, and 2:08 remaining, Coach Hoodie elected to go for a first down rather than punt when he faced fourth and 2 from his 28-yard line. Guess he was afraid of what Peyton Manning might do.

Tom Brady’s fourth-down pass to Kevin Faulk was complete but inches shy of the first down. So the Colts took over and went 29 yards in four easy plays, winning the game when Manning connected with Reggie Wayne on a laser-like 1-yard pass with an unlucky 13 seconds left on the clock.

Ouch. Bob Kraft’s $9 million federally funded footbridge project just became a bridge over troubled waters.

This game was in the win column. A Stephen Gostkowski field goal with 4:12 left made it 34-21. Unfortunately for New England fans, Belichick elected to play soft defense and Manning quickly had the Colts in the end zone. It was 34-28 with 2:23 left. Then came the tragic set of downs and Belichick’s bold and crushing gamble.

In the postgame confusion, Belichick twice made a reference to the Patriots trying to gain 1 yard.

“I thought we could get that yard,’’ he said.

Asked if he knew the team needed 2 yards, Belichick said that he did. But then he said, “I don’t know how we could not get a yard on that.’’

Brady was simply spectacular in defeat. It was the 2007 Tom. He completed 29 passes for 375 yards and three touchdowns. Ditto for Randy Moss, who caught nine passes for 179 yards and two touchdowns. The Patriots shredded Indy’s depleted secondary, scoring 24 straight points in the first half, then bolting to a 31-14 lead early in the fourth.

Meanwhile, Belichick worked with a depleted defense (no Ty Warren, no Jarvis Green, no Shawn Springs), plugged gaps with no names and new names, and frustrated the indomitable Manning (two interceptions) for a good part of the evening.

But none of that forgives his strategy in the final four minutes. Even the legions of zombies who say “In Bill We Trust’’ and the formidable pay-for-play Patriot media machine will have a hard time defending the brilliant coach on this one.

With Brady and Moss playing catch and New England’s defense containing Manning, the Patriots looked like they were going to insert themselves into the mix for the top rung of the conference. A 34-21 lead late in the fourth quarter generally means you win.

But there is some bad history for the Patriots in this town. In the 2006 AFC Championship game, New England led, 21-3 in the first half and 21-6 at intermission, but managed to lose, 38-34. It was a crushing defeat that motivated the Patriots’ 16-0 season in 2007.

There was some deja vu last night as the Patriots led, 24-7 in the second quarter, 24-14 at intermission, then that 34-21 late in the fourth.

The first sign of trouble was Belichick’s decision to stand down when the Colts got the ball with just over four minutes left in the game, trailing by 13. New England gave up everything underneath and Manning quickly had the Colts in the end zone.

It looked like a garbage-time footnote until the Patriots stalled when they got the ball back.

After a third-down pass to Wes Welker was broken up by Jerraud Powers, everyone in the world figured the Patriots were going to punt deep into Indy territory. With 2:08 left, Belichick called time out and got into a discussion with Brady. To the amazement of everyone, Brady came back on the field to try the fourth and 2 from his 28.

“We thought we could win the game with that play,’’ reasoned Belichick.

Faulk made the catch and almost had the yardage, but he was short. The Patriots couldn’t challenge the spot because they didn’t have any more timeouts. And the Colts had the ball with incredible field position. The final touchdown drive was almost too easy, but Wayne made a nifty grab of a pass that looked like a Jonathan Papelbon fastball.

“We’re disappointed, but we’re moving on,’’ said Belichick.

Not everybody. This one will linger for a while, maybe into the winter. This was a horrible loss. It changes everything. And Bill Belichick gets the blame.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at dshaughnessy@globe.com.

Shea
11-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I've been loving all the Belicheat bashing today all over the sports networks, here and everywhere. :sofunny:

Unfortunately, I don't think the a-hole could give two hoots about any of it though.

Does anyone get the same picture that I get when watching him? I see a guy that doesn't feel, even when things are going well. There seems to be a blank, empty soul when it comes to what you would see in an average human being. No emotion, no feeling, and in a way no joy eminates from him, ever.

I'd feel sorry for him, but I'm so sick of what he's done and shown as a man on the football field. Makes me wonder what he's like outside of football. Hopefully, he's a completely different person with his family and friends. If not, then although he's won three championships, he's lost in the worst way possible. Kinda sad really.

stlrtruck
11-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Oh how the mighty have turned against their "righteous leader"

:applaudit: :toofunny: :rofl: :applaudit:

steel striker
11-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Billacheat is a arrogant coach who just might be the most hated coach in NFL history.

AllD
11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
The Steelers and the Cowboys have Belichoke to thank for taking most of the media heat away from their poor performances.

Last time Belichoke got this much bad press he took a $500k hit for "Spygate" and then sacrificed a Super Bowl win in order to defy the entire league and every non-Pat fan as a function of his arrogance.

He could be on a long spiraling decline with brief returns to championship form before finally imploding.

It's going to be interesting to watch how all those teams respond which he kicked who were on the way down while he was on his way up. The media is very fickle especially when dealing with somebody with his type of personality. Without a decent systems QB and a clutch kicker, he is just another coach.

What else has he contributed to the NFL besides a scandal and a stupid QB rule? Notre Dame already ordered Charlie Weiss' U-Haul, Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini are tweedle-dee and tweedle-asshole. Belichoke is no Lombardi, Noll, or Bill Walsh.

The Patriot
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
The Steelers and the Cowboys have Belichoke to thank for taking most of the media heat away from their poor performances.

Last time Belichoke got this much bad press he took a $500k hit for "Spygate" and then sacrificed a Super Bowl win in order to defy the entire league and every non-Pat fan as a function of his arrogance.

He could be on a long spiraling decline with brief returns to championship form before finally imploding.

It's going to be interesting to watch how all those teams respond which he kicked who were on the way down while he was on his way up. The media is very fickle especially when dealing with somebody with his type of personality. Without a decent systems QB and a clutch kicker, he is just another coach.

What else has he contributed to the NFL besides a scandal and a stupid QB rule? Notre Dame already ordered Charlie Weiss' U-Haul, Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini are tweedle-dee and tweedle-asshole. Belichoke is no Lombardi, Noll, or Bill Walsh.

While every other coach in the league would have punted and let the dwindling defense lose the game, Belichick actually has the balls to risk taking the blame and play to win.

All of you hatemongers get your panties in a bunch, because Belichick scares you shitless when he calls a play like this. And nobody will talk trash until sheer chance decides the spot of the ball.

tony hipchest
11-17-2009, 10:12 PM
And nobody will talk trash until sheer chance decides the spot of the ball.

what???

we'll talk trash before the pass was even thrown.

he was an idiot then, and is an idiot now. :hunch:

fansince'76
11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
While every other coach in the league would have punted and let the dwindling defense lose the game, Belichick actually has the balls to risk taking the blame and play to win.

All of you hatemongers get your panties in a bunch, because Belichick scares you shitless when he calls a play like this. And nobody will talk trash until sheer chance decides the spot of the ball.

Sad thing is you actually believe that bullshit.

Shea
11-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Well that's a new one.

Usually, Steelers fans are accused of being jealous of the Pats* when we criticize your team. :rolleyes: But being scared shitless of Belichick is ludicrous.:sofunny:

I'd have no problem with him going for it on fourth down in any situation, any game, anytime against our D. Bring it!

Scared shitless.......you're so cute Patriot! :sofunny:

4xSBChamps
11-18-2009, 05:15 AM

"..... what color is the sky.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/FraserCranehead-shrinker.jpg

..... in YOUR world?????"

revefsreleets
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
41-55. That is all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Do I hate Belichick...yep. The same way that I hate anyone who, because of poor performance, has to cheat. But I can assure you that my judgement is regards to this situation is less tainted than that of ANY media personality that claims..."Well, historically a coach would never make that call, but this is BELICHICK, so we have to give him the benifit of a doubt".

I still have the draft magazine at home that specifically says..."With most teams, it would appear that they reached for most of their picks this year and they would derserve a D for a draft grade. However, we have to think that Belichick knows what he is doing so the Patriots get a B." Its that same attitude that makes the knobslobbers, think that Belichick made a smart call on the play.

Lets be clear about this....if the correct call for any other team is to punt....if every other coach would have punted...then just the sheer fact that you are "Belichick" does NOT make the opposite true and doesnt make it a good call.

It was stupid...it was arrogant...and I loved it. Far from being scared shitless...I hope he makes a million more calls JUST LIKE IT!!!:thumbsup:

dumbass.

AllD
11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
He has turned into a George Costanza in a hoodie.

The Patriot
11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Do I hate Belichick...yep. The same way that I hate anyone who, because of poor performance, has to cheat. But I can assure you that my judgement is regards to this situation is less tainted than that of ANY media personality that claims..."Well, historically a coach would never make that call, but this is BELICHICK, so we have to give him the benifit of a doubt".

I still have the draft magazine at home that specifically says..."With most teams, it would appear that they reached for most of their picks this year and they would derserve a D for a draft grade. However, we have to think that Belichick knows what he is doing so the Patriots get a B." Its that same attitude that makes the knobslobbers, think that Belichick made a smart call on the play.

Lets be clear about this....if the correct call for any other team is to punt....if every other coach would have punted...then just the sheer fact that you are "Belichick" does NOT make the opposite true and doesnt make it a good call.

It was stupid...it was arrogant...and I loved it. Far from being scared shitless...I hope he makes a million more calls JUST LIKE IT!!!:thumbsup:

dumbass.

You abide by the rule "You have to punt, just because!" An idea that ignores all other factors in the game. It ignores that the Colts scored touchdowns on two consecutive 4 minute 70 yard drives. Starting on the 28 doesn't mean automatic touchdown. The Colts scored on 4 FREAKIN plays and got three straight first downs. Now, I'm pretty sure that continuously converting on 1st down will move the ball from any spot of the field.

The choice was, either punt the ball another 30 yards, or trust your offense, who had averaged 6.5 yards a play, to get two yards for the win. Other coaches would have punted, because they'd be playing to sneak by with a win. Belichick plays to win.

AllD
11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Even Mangini would have punted.

The Patriot
11-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Even Mangini would have punted.

Yes, I don't think there is anyone who knows more about punting.

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 06:32 PM
NFL Network (Sirius) had a guy on last night who studies over half a million plays and his company compiled virtually endless statistics on practically every possible scenario. Now I'm not one who's high on stats, but according to him B.B. made the right decision. Punting gave him a 57% chance of winning the game whereas going for it on 4th and 2 on his own 27 (?) with the time remaining gave him a 65% chance of winning.

According to them, the 8% difference is huge.

Now excuse me while I go puke for defending the bastard. I only did it for my buddy Patsie. :chuckle:

Shea
11-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Yes, I don't think there is anyone who knows more about punting.

So true. :sofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
11-19-2009, 10:44 AM
My 2 Cents

It wasn't that bad of a call. His team already has a lead in their division. The remainder of the schedule isn't the Colts 7 more times, its winnable. It was NOT a playoff game so that argument is null and void. And, they actually did convert, it was a questionable spot. The Failure on that last drive came when Brady called a time out prior to the First Down play. That was the fail. It cost them one of their 2 remaining timeouts. Calling a time out before the 4th down call was a good coaching move. Blowing that 1st one early was a failure.

The play worked as designed, the guy bobbled the ball. Had he gotten it, game over, Victory formation.

In the Playoffs, he punts. So he picked up his sack, put it on the table and went for it. I actual give him koodos for having the fcking guts to make that call, a call that most of us at one point or another in our lives watching the Steelers have said "fck it, go for it" especially with Cowher at the helm and Bettis in the backfield.

Convert, you win. Don't Convert your defense still has the opportunity to make a play and win the game.

steelwalls
11-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Thats a call you just dont make, pure and simple. Why was this article even mentioning anything about a hard count? Yeah go for it if you have a time out, but they had none, so they couldnt do a hard count then call a TO if noone bit. Stupiddddd.

NJarhead
11-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Thats a call you just dont make, pure and simple. Why was this article even mentioning anything about a hard count? Yeah go for it if you have a time out, but they had none, so they couldnt do a hard count then call a TO if noone bit. Stupiddddd.

I disagree. If he punts he's got one chance to win and that's with a defensive stop. If he goes for it he's got two chances to win: Getting the 1st down OR with a defensive stop.
I do NOT like the man, but I'm not gonna rip him for this one. He obviously knew his defense wouldn't be able to make the stop so he took the chance.

revefsreleets
11-20-2009, 02:29 PM
That's a good point. If you have a defense that has any chance at all of stopping Manning, you punt.

The days of an elite, or even superior defense in NE, are over....which is yet another indicator that so are the title runs.

To tell you the truth, I don't really care anyway. If the Colts finish undefeated they'll collapse under the pressure that creates on them, and they don't traditionally play very solid playoff football anyway. They can clearly be beaten in their dome, even by the lowest seeded playoff team (what team did that too them again???).

So eff the Pats and I'm glad they lost. Even if this, too, gets spun by the Pats nuthugging media as somehow more proof of the genius of Belichick, it just ultimately results in a harder and farther fall as that myth unravels over time...

4xSBChamps
11-20-2009, 03:06 PM
So eff the Pats and I'm glad they lost. Even if this, too, gets spun by the Pats nut-hugging media as somehow more proof of the genius of Belichick.....

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/ColonelFlagg.jpg

I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

revefsreleets
11-20-2009, 03:09 PM
This is the thing I can't quite wrap my head around.

ANY other coach makes this call, and the response is immediate and universal: "Bad call!...you lost the game!". Yet somehow this toolbox gets a pass....there are actually people out there purporting that a call that ultimately resulted in a team LOSING A GAME was still the right call.

Really?

HUH?

4xSBChamps
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM

ANY other coach makes this call, and the response is immediate and universal: "Bad call!...you lost the game!". Yet somehow this toolbox gets a pass....there are actually people out there purporting that a call that ultimately resulted in a team LOSING A GAME was still the right call.

Really?

HUH?

"..... don't make me drop a scorpion down your shorts, Pal....."

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/ColonelFlagg.jpg

:drink:

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM

Really?

HUH?

It was a Ballsy Call, I give him credit for that. Heck if the Colts player makes the pick on the 3rd down play and takes it to the house, BB gets grief for throwing the ball in that spot instead of just running out the clock and Tom is called a choker.

Still, I still say in the Playoffs, he doesn't hesitate to punt. But in the regular season game, I figure he felt comfortable with his team's standings enough to take a shot. A very risky and painful shot but still, he put it out there. They make that conversion and he's a freaking genious all over again.

Not many coaches could get away with that call, but he has the trust of his front office and he went for it.

The Patriot
11-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Really?

HUH?

Oh, so that lost the game. When the Pats lose, its either Belichick or Brady's fault. When the Steelers lose, its "the special teams".

revefsreleets
11-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Oh, so that lost the game. When the Pats lose, its either Belichick or Brady's fault. When the Steelers lose, its "the special teams".

I love watching you spin, twist, divert, and pervert arguments in an effort to polish up the turd that is the New England Patriot organization.

If you want to bash ME for saying it's the call that lost the game, that's fine, but you'll also need to blast EVERYONE who made the statement....it's practically a generic reference already, "The call that lost the game".

Point remains no matter how hard to you attempt to draw attention away from it, ballsy or not, it was a horrible call, and ANY other coach at ANY other level would be universally held 100% accountable for making a terrible call on a pivotal play at a critical moment in the game.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-21-2009, 09:23 AM
You abide by the rule "You have to punt, just because!" An idea that ignores all other factors in the game. It ignores that the Colts scored touchdowns on two consecutive 4 minute 70 yard drives. Starting on the 28 doesn't mean automatic touchdown. The Colts scored on 4 FREAKIN plays and got three straight first downs. Now, I'm pretty sure that continuously converting on 1st down will move the ball from any spot of the field.

The choice was, either punt the ball another 30 yards, or trust your offense, who had averaged 6.5 yards a play, to get two yards for the win. Other coaches would have punted, because they'd be playing to sneak by with a win. Belichick plays to win.

You are conveniently leaving out the fact that the clock would have been working in the Pats favor...There is NO way to spin your way out of it. Belichick DIDNT TRUST his defense and because of that, he went against the odds and lost.

tony hipchest
11-21-2009, 04:12 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/chick.jpg