PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu's status uncertain for Chiefs game

mesaSteeler
11-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Polamalu's status uncertain for Chiefs game
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/11/16/steelers.ap/

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have not yet updated the condition of star safety Troy Polamalu, who injured his left knee for the second time this season during their 18-12 loss to Cincinnati.

Polamalu missed four games after tearing the medial collateral ligament in his left knee Sept. 10 against Tennessee. He played three games before hurting the knee again during the Bengals' opening drive on Sunday.

The Steelers did not disclose the results of Polamalu's MRI exam, but he is not believed to have been as badly injured as he previously was. The Steelers (6-3) play Sunday at Kansas City (2-7).

Following a Sunday game, the Steelers usually do not update injuries until coach Mike Tomlin meets with reporters on Tuesday.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

HometownGal
11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I was horrified to learn of Troy's injury during the early minutes of yesterday's game and am somewhat relieved to hear that the preliminary report is that the injury to his knee isn't as bad as the MCL tear he suffered earlier in the season. However, if he has to miss the Chiefs game this weekend to get that knee back in shape - so be it. I'd much rather have the NFL's best all around player healed and healthy for the run than risk him coming back too soon and causing further damage which could end his season.

BlastFurnace
11-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Rest him. We don't need him this week.

stillers4me
11-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Nah.We don't need him this week. But the thought of him out there during the Rats game scares me to death.

SteelerEmpire
11-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I feel that Carter is playing at a decent enough level.... along with the remaining D.... I say sit him vs. the Chiefs also.....

mesaSteeler
11-16-2009, 10:45 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/11/16/polamalu-injury-doesnt-appear-to-be-serious/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Polamalu injury doesn't appear to be serious
November 16th, 2009

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin figures to have good news about Troy Polamalu when he gives an official update on the strong safety’s status Tuesday.

Polamalu left the Steelers’ 18-12 loss to the Bengals on Sunday in the first quarter after re-injuring his left knee.

But the five-time Pro Bowler treated today as if it were any other Monday during the season. Polamalu, who didn’t need crutches to make his way around the Steelers’ practice facility, spent most of his afternoon in team meetings.

Earlier in the day, he played Ping Pong with teammates in the Steelers’ locker room, which doesn’t sound like something someone would do if they had just seriously hurt their knee.

While I expect Tomlin to say at his weekly news conference that Polamalu’s injury gave Steelers fans a scare more than anything else, that doesn’t mean he will play this Sunday in Kansas City.

If I’m Tomlin, I use what looks like a break in the schedule to rest Polamalu and give him additional time to strengthen the knee that he sprained in the Steelers’ season opener.

Such a plan comes with some risk. As bad as the Chiefs are — their two wins are against the Redskins and Raiders — anything can happen in the NFL.

Witness the trouble that undefeated New Orleans had against the lowly Rams in St. Louis last Sunday.

But Tyrone Carter has played well when the Steelers have needed him to step in for Polamalu or free safety Ryan Clark. And if the Steelers can limit the Bengals to 176 yards of total offense after Cincinnati’s first possession last Sunday — that is the only one that Polamalu played in its entirety — they can take their chances with Carter manning strong safety against the Chiefs.

“Troy’s been out before and Tyrone’s come in and done his usual thing. He played great (against the Bengals) and we always have confidence when he comes into the game,” Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior said. “There’s really not a lot of dropoff but you never can really replace a player like Troy. He’s one of those special players in the NFL but Tyrone comes in and does a great job.

Galax Steeler
11-17-2009, 04:37 AM
I hope it ain't serious rest him for the Chiefs game and get him ready for the Ratbirds.

solardave
11-17-2009, 05:17 AM
Rest him. We don't need him this week.

My biggest fear is the first injury is a tear and could limit his play for the rest of the year.
He may need off season surgery to repair it. If it is to that point we can't risk him hurting it worse. His health is more important. They are not saying how serious the first one was.

markymarc
11-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Just get healthy again Troy!

Steelboy84
11-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I was horrified to learn of Troy's injury during the early minutes of yesterday's game and am somewhat relieved to hear that the preliminary report is that the injury to his knee isn't as bad as the MCL tear he suffered earlier in the season. However, if he has to miss the Chiefs game this weekend to get that knee back in shape - so be it. I'd much rather have the NFL's best all around player healed and healthy for the run than risk him coming back too soon and causing further damage which could end his season.

:iagree:

BlastFurnace
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Tuesday with Tomlin-Polamalu update

Mike Tomlin said the injury to All-Pro strong safety Troy Polamalu is not as serious as the team feared when he left Sunday's loss to Cincinnati.

Tomlin said Tuesday that Polamalu's injury is a PCL strain as opposed to a re-injury to the MCL that forced him to miss four games earlier this season.

"Troy's status for this game is questionable, at best," said Tomlin as the Steelers prepare to play at Kansas City Sunday. "Although we have had some favorable information in regards to where he is from a health standpoint. We're going to take it day-to-day with him."

In other injury-related news, Tomlin said defensive end Travis Kirschke will work in individual drills Wednesday, as will fullback Carey Davis.

Both have missed the past two games, Kirschke with a calf injury, Davis with a hamstring pull.

The Steelers have also signed linebacker Donovan Woods from their practice squad, releasing linebacker Arnold Harrison.

Woods is expected to help the team's kickoff coverage problems.

Jmat
11-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Without Troy in the lineup the Steelers defense does not force turnovers. It's shocking how few picks or fumbles our defense creates and Troy is the one creating what we do get.

It's a relief to hear that his injury isn't as dire as first talked about.

MasterOfPuppets
11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
if they can't beat the chiefs without troy....they need to just hang it up..:doh:

Fire Haley
11-17-2009, 01:28 PM
PCL Strain to same knee. Not MCL injury that happened last time. Not a re-injury!

That is good news.

GoSlash27
11-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Fer cryin' out loud! Let the man heal! We don't need him for this. :banging:

SteelMember
11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
PCL Strain to same knee. Not MCL injury that happened last time. Not a re-injury!

That is good news.

Good News, indeed.

Fire Haley
11-18-2009, 11:36 AM
KFFL - Steelers | Polamalu could play in Week 12

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:24:19 -0800

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely targeting the team's Week 12 game versus the Baltimore Ravens as a return date for SS Troy Polamalu (knee).

memphissteelergirl
11-18-2009, 11:53 AM

That is good news.

WHEW!! :bouncy:

SteelerFanInCA
11-18-2009, 12:21 PM
The defense will do just fine with Carter in the line-up. Troy should definitely take this week off.

Glace
11-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Let troy rest this week...bring him back for the Ravens....then he can have the next 2 weeks off for the Raiders and Browns...lol

steelpride12
11-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I know it's not bad enough, but I would sit Troy at least these upcoming 3 weeks and just let that whole knee heal up we need come playoffs.

Fire Haley
11-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Let troy rest this week...bring him back for the Ravens....then he can have the next 2 weeks off for the Raiders and Browns...lol

Now that sounds like a plan!

Psyychoward86
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
i expect the steelers to plant a 40 Burger on the Chiefs, and that's without Troy

GridironWarrior
11-18-2009, 08:48 PM
i expect the steelers to plant a 40 Burger on the Chiefs, and that's without Troy

Same here I almost feel bad for the Chiefs, almost lol.

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2009, 08:58 PM
i expect the steelers to plant a 40 Burger on the Chiefs, and that's without Troy i predicted they'd beat detriot by 40.....didn't happen...:doh:

mesaSteeler
11-18-2009, 09:18 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
Polamalu in knee brace
Strong safety Troy Polamalu was at the Steelers practice today, but was wearing a large knee brace and did not participate.

Head coach Mike Tomlin said Polamalu is "very questionable" to play this week against Kansas City. By the looks of things, Polamalu may be out even longer than that.

Considering the Steelers play in Baltimore in two weeks, that's not a good thing for Pittsburgh, which is 2-2 in games that Polamalu has missed.

I keep hearing the stat that the Steelers haven't won this season without Polamalu. Paul Alexander said it following the Mike Tomlin press conference Tuesday. It was repeated on an ESPN 1250 radio show Wednesday afternoon as something that's a fact.

I'm sure they probably read it somewhere, even though it's false. Don't these people do any research of their own?

Carey Davis and Travis Kirschke were back at practice on a limited basis today and look like they could be back against Kansas City.

Mike Wallace was out today with an undisclosed illness.

markymarc
11-20-2009, 01:15 PM
It would make sense to sit Troy this week and try to get him back the following weekend against the Ravens. Good to see Kirschke and Davis are back to practice.

Steelboy84
11-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Yea I'd rather he sit this one out.