PDA

View Full Version : Running Game, Running Game, Running Game!

StainlessStill
11-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I love the direction this Pittsburgh Steelers offense is heading, I really do. We have many versatile weapons, and we have the talent to light up the score board each week, and Arians has been trying to install a more "air it out attack offense" since 2007. We've shown glimpses this season of that, and it almost felt like the form of being un-predictable was taking shape with the emergence of Mendenhall.

Now, with that said, Arians COMPLETELY had an overall MELTDOWN in his play calling, and game plan against the Bengirls. Since the 2006 season, I've never seen a Steelers offense panic so bad to the point where they had no idea what to do. I STILL don't really know what Arian's game plan was going into this game and quite frankly I don't want to know.

But, where was the running game? Mendenhall was coming off some STELLAR performances and you mean to tell me Arians dialed up his number only 13 times? 13 times in a TIGHT game, compared to Ben's 40 pass attempts. That is a recipe for disaster and it showed big time not only throughout the game, but on 3rd downs. (3rd and two seemed like 4th and a mile.) They came out on some drives and tried to push the ball down field when they simply didn't have to at that moment. I remember telling my brother at that point that even in a 3 point game, we are seriously in panic mode. It was just NEVER right.

If the Steelers want to have any kinds of success during these last games (I still say the Steelers will be one of the two teams that will be the toughest to beat in Dec.) then we must establish and stick to the run than we portrayed yesterday, PERIOD.

Also, Mewelde Moore should have more packages in this offense. Every time this man gets his opportunity, or has the ball in his hands, he does something with it! Moore is a gem that needs to see more time, whatever that may be.

devilsdancefloor
11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Pony backfield ive been waiting.... memo & mendy forget that damn 3 TE set:drink:

T.Richardson
11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Great teams find ways to win games, it doesnt matter how many times a OC calls a running play. 13 carries for 36 yards is not impressive at all. The Colts found a way to win passing the ball 40 times, running the ball isnt going to change the fact that the Steelers werent successful.

StainlessStill
11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Pony backfield ive been waiting.... memo & mendy forget that damn 3 TE set:drink:

That's actually not a bad idea. I kind of like it. The Steelers don't have the personal to run the Power I since we don't have a solid full back in the roster like a Kreider who is built for a lead block and take on any blitzing linebacker with attack. (Speaking of picking up the Blitz, Mendenhall has truly become a professional! He's amazing at blitz pickup recently.)

Coming out in 2 tight ends is like conceding our identity to the defense. Spaeth is NOT used in the pass (don't know why since that's his forte, esp. in the redzone) and he CERTAINLY isn't no run blocker, in fact he's terrible and he caves in every running play when in the 2 TE set. A complete waste of a package IMO. If we would go to a pony back set, then that can certainly open up some creativity not only in the run, but in the pass which forces Linebackers and safeties to peak in the backfield at all costs.

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2009, 10:22 PM
this probably coulda been posted in the OTHER thread bitching about not running the ball.....:noidea:

StainlessStill
11-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Great teams find ways to win games, it doesnt matter how many times a OC calls a running play. 13 carries for 36 yards is not impressive at all. The Colts found a way to win passing the ball 40 times, running the ball isnt going to change the fact that the Steelers werent successful.

Although that might be true, comparing the Steelers offense to the Colts offense isn't even right. The Colts are built to pass the ball at will, and that's pretty much been their identity since Manning's first start. The difference, is that the Colts pretty much have 0 running game, while the Steelers do have more of a balanced attack at times. Giving up on the run CERTAINLY didn't help our team out, and the results prove that to be true. We became one dimensional and predictable and that let the Bengals dictate the whole game.

StainlessStill
11-16-2009, 10:26 PM
this probably coulda been posted in the OTHER thread bitching about not running the ball.....:noidea:

Not really bitching my man. Point is, limiting a weapon in Mendenhall to 13 carries is just bad game planning and situational football (esp in a tight game.) IF given the chance, maybe ATLEAST 20 carries, I believe Mendenhall could of been the difference maker down the stretch. Not giving the running game a chance not only hurt our chances on 3rd Down, mainly 3rd and short, but clock management as well.

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Why didn't Ben audible to more run plays? Is THAT BA's fault?

bigjamesharrison2
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM

It's ALWAYS BA's fault. :chuckle:

SMR
11-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Although that might be true, comparing the Steelers offense to the Colts offense isn't even right. The Colts are built to pass the ball at will, and that's pretty much been their identity since Manning's first start. The difference, is that the Colts pretty much have 0 running game, while the Steelers do have more of a balanced attack at times. Giving up on the run CERTAINLY didn't help our team out, and the results prove that to be true. We became one dimensional and predictable and that let the Bengals dictate the whole game.

I think you hit the nail on the head, at least mine!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2009, 05:44 PM
A running team is not what the Steelers have evolved to. Gotta accept it and move on. Live and die by the passing game is the new reality and last week we died by it. :noidea:

Preacher
11-17-2009, 05:49 PM
When your star running back can only run for 2.8 yards per average...and that is boosted by a 10 yard run...

You want to do what? Run it more? Why? So we can have even more 3 and outs?

Our running game wasn't working. Our passing game wasn't working.

Over the course of the last two years, which one have we been able to rely on more? THE PASS. So when neither works, go for the one that we have been able to execute better in recent history.

Preacher
11-17-2009, 05:50 PM
A running team is not what the Steelers have evolved to. Gotta accept it and move on. Live and die by the passing game is the new reality and last week we died by it. :noidea:

I think the new reality is a balanced offense, and neither one showed up last game.

2.8 per carry by Mendy isn't a reason to keep running the ball.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I think the new reality is a balanced offense, and neither one showed up last game.

2.8 per carry by Mendy isn't a reason to keep running the ball.

If you call 40 pass attempts and 18 rush attempts ....."balanced offense", what do you call pass happy?? :rofl:

Funny how the Bengals only averaged 2.1 YPC and they ran it 29 times, while passing 30 times.??? I would say that better resembles balance. :wave: ....and not giving up on the run game.

tony hipchest
11-17-2009, 06:19 PM

2.8 per carry by Mendy isn't a reason to keep running the ball.balanced? abandoning the run was absolutely ludicrous. i posted this elsewhere-

we are not the eagles, yet thats exactly who we played like yesterday (minus actually scoring td's or gaining more than 200 yds through the air.

eagles- 56 pass/13 rush

steelers- 40 pass/18 rush (1 of which was a qb sneak, and another a failed pass play where ben scrambled for 15 yds)

ben had a 15 yd run. moore had runs of 12 and 9 yds. mendenhall a run of 10, and even willies lone run went for 7 yds.

our 5 longest pass plays went for 21, 16, 11, 11, 11 yds.

steelers 40 pass attempts is a bit deceiving, being that their were 4 sacks and 1 scramble (=45 called pass plays).

the stats show about 1/3 of our called runs were going for 7 yds or more.

tell me again why there was no reason to stick with the run?

the game plan seemed more hell bent on blowing out the bengals and padding big bens potential pro bowl stats. this was the exact opposite of the formula that was used to defeat the vikings and broncos.

stillers4me
11-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Mike Tomlin said today on Serius radio that "we should have run more, but hindsight is 20/20."

I just think it was obvious long before the game was over.

SteelStang
11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Cincy came in with the #2 rated defense against the run and #26 against the pass I believe it was. This leads me to my problem with BA. It was obvious he went into the game thinking pass, pass, pass which is fine when you look at the above stats. Steeler teams in the past would have said "I don't care how good you are against the run, we are going to run it down your throats!" Many of us would then be screaming "Pass the ball more," when we struggled running.

So in 2009, we see our team evolving into a pass-first offense whether we are willing to admit it or not. With that said, I believe BA does go a little 'pass crazy' at times. We are told that BR has play-calling duties when we go no-huddle/hurry up offense, so occssionaly we may criticize BA when it should be Ben.

Bottom-line is that there are going to be games where players just don't execute and I think Sunday was a prime example of that. As someone who is admittedly very critical of BA most of the time, I'm willing to chalk this one up as "We just got beat, plain and simple." Don't like, but it is what it is.

scsteeler
11-18-2009, 11:00 AM

OF Course it is! BA takes the blame for anything that does not go right on the offense and no credit for anything that does goes right. Players missing assignments or not executing properly is never the reason.

steelerdave1969
11-18-2009, 11:44 AM

No its not BA's fault, its Ben trying to do too much. The guy has earned the right to be one of the top 5 QB's in this league, but sometimes he needs to just suck it up and do whats right for the team. Rashard Mendenhall has looked very good and they are Not Giving Him Near Enough Carries.

The_WARDen
11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I dunno...since the beginning of my time the following mantra has been repeated over and over again.

You have to to attempt to establish the run even if it's not very successful at first because it keeps the defense honest.

The Bengals didn't have to worry about the run and that allowed them to come after Ben more aggressively. That resulted in more sacks and hurries (NOT blaming Oline here).

SteelMusic
11-18-2009, 03:21 PM
PREDICTABILITY - That's what killed us. You can argue that there was no balance (and that is true), or that players just didn't play. The bottom line is that we were very predictable.

The play calling was bad -- bottom line. At one point I was critical of BA, but I actually had been impressed with the 3 previous games before this debacle. I understand players were not on their A game, but where are the plays to get your offense on track? Where are the quick screens when you realize that the D is reading your offense like a book and blitzing the sh** out of you ever damn down? Why abandon the running game in such a close game.

For the record 4.3 average yards per pass, 4 sacks, 1 int and a 51.5 qb rating isn't that great either. The running game (Mendenhall & Moore together) averaged 3.8 yards per carry. So why abandon it for the super effective 4.3 yards per attempt passing game that day???

It seems like BA just gets flustered at times and throws all logic out the window. Playcalling takes a certain amount of discipline, especially when things aren't going your way. Like I said earlier I have seen BA call some great games this year, but when things get tough, I don't see him getting smart/creative. If teams study our offense (and BA's playcalling) you can almost sense when he starts to abandon the run -- you better believe that the other teams see this.

I think he will get it together again, I just hope he keeps his cool later on and doesn't revert back to this nonsense later in the season when it can actually end ours.

revefsreleets
11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Wow...just.......wow.

I thought the play calling was on-par with the rest of the season. Obviously the plan was to throw against a team that was ranked in the bottom quarter of the league in passing defense, and we failed to execute that plan, but predictable?

We had receivers running open all game that were just flat out missed. Ben played his worst game in years. The OL was "off" and not giving Ben time to pass. Even when they did, and the Bengals defense did a good job covering up our receivers, Ben held the ball too long and failed to throw the ball away. Those sacks hurt...

The main problem I have with the old "We were predictable" complaint is that we simply weren't. We ran some new plays I hadn't seen before, ran some screens, had a couple new wrinkles in the run game, etc, etc...

The bottom line is that if the gameplan was EXECUTED better by the players, there would be not one single complaint about predictability....but because the offense was lethargic and out of sync, we have to hear the same ole complaints that always follow a loss where the offense underperformed, whether the argument has any merit or not.