PDA

View Full Version : Bengals aren't division champs yet

mesaSteeler
11-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Bengals aren't division champs yet
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx
By Bob Smizik | Tuesday, 12:30 a.m.

It was somewhat jarring in the aftermath of the Steelers loss Sunday to hear free safety Ryan Clark concede the division title to the Cincinnati Bengals.

That’s taking good sportsmanship a step or two or three too far. Clark was being gracious to a fault.

The Bengals have what amounts to a two-game lead over the Steelers with seven games remaining. That puts them in a good situation but not yet a championship situation.

The Bengals, as the Steelers have discovered, are a good team. But they’re not a great one. They are capable of losing two games the remainder of the way, perhaps even three.

The question is: Are the Steelers capable of mounting the near-perfect finish it will take to catch the Bengals?

Cincinnati’s next three games are against Oakland, Cleveland and Detroit, teams with a combined 4-23 record. If they win all three, and they should, they’ll be 10-2 and riding a torrent of momentum.

But then comes games at Minnesota and San Diego, team with a combined 14-3 record. They follow that with a home game against Kansas City (2-7) and on the road against the New York Jets (4-5).

It would not be astonishing for the Bengals to lose at Minnesota and San Diego. Nor will the Jets, if they’re still in the playoff hunt, be an easy opponent.

This could provide the Steelers with the opening they need. But they are going to have to play better to finish in a manner that will enable them to catch Cincinnati.

That’s not to say they haven’t been playing well. They have. They had three consecutive games against team that had lost a combined three games -- Minnesota, Denver and Cincinnati -- and they won two of them. But their offense, the expected strength of the team, has been in decline.

Any offense is going to have difficulties against the top-of-the line teams the Steelers have been playing, but their failure to score a touchdown against the Bengals was alarming and a continuation of some poor play.

The Steelers have scored only four offensive touchdowns in their past three games. And one of those came against Denver following an interception by Troy Polamalu that gave them the ball on the Broncos’ 25.

The Steelers have a chance to get better in their upcoming games and put some heat on Cincinnati. They play at Kansas City Sunday then have games against Baltimore (5-4), Oakland (2-7) and Cleveland (1-8). The Ravens have been a fierce and worthy rival of the Steelers for most of this decade. But after a strong start this season they look to be a team in decline. Their sluggish performance in a win over Cleveland last night does not change that perception.

The Steelers finish at home against Green Bay and Baltimore and on the road at Miami.

They have the capability of finishing strong -- if they start to play better on offense.

The Bengals, of course, have to cooperate, but stranger things have been known to happen.

The Bengals are in charge in the AFC North, but they’re not yet champions of it.
Posted: Bob Smizik | with 5 comment(s)
Filed under: Ryan Clark
Nov 16 2009

stlrtruck
11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
We should no longer concern ourselves with what the bungals do!

The team needs to focus on what they do. Right now they are in the driver's seat for the playoffs and that needs to be the focus. I'll worry about the AFCN after the bungals, bungal the second half of the season - until then, we've got to go one game at a time.

Steelers>NFL
11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Steelers win out their remaining games, they will at least be in the playoffs as WC.
And could still possibly win the division. I truly believe this.

BlastFurnace
11-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't care if we win the division. I just want to get into the playoffs. In today's NFL, that is what matters.

HometownGal
11-17-2009, 10:34 AM
We should no longer concern ourselves with what the bungals do!

The team needs to focus on what they do.

BINGO. :thumbsup::drink::applaudit:

stlrz fan
11-17-2009, 10:50 AM
This could end up like Bltimore / Pittsburgh of 2008. Steelers do great with that pressure. We definitely need Bengals to stumble a little bit. I hope that RyanClarks comments don't reflect the attitude in the locker room.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Eff the Bengals. The Steelers need to focus on winning the rest of their games on the schedule. We need to do that to guarantee a spot in the playoffs.

The division isn't won yet, but we're behind the 8-ball now. Things that we cannot control with decide the division. All we can control is what we do on the field, and if we win the next seven games of this football season we are in the playoffs. We've won the Super Bowl as the sixth seed, we don't need no stinking home games to do it again.

markymarc
11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
We are done playing the Bungles. The Steelers need to focus on the final 7 games. Once the playoffs come........anything is possible :tt02:

OX1947
11-17-2009, 11:44 AM
No way in hell the Steelers don't win the division and probably get at least a #2 seed if they win out. 13-3. Bengals still have to prove they can play like they have for 16 games. And until they do, thats the way it goes....

Angus Burgher
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
I think that the Bengals will end up being this year's version of the 2008 Tennessee Titans. A team that started out really strong and capitalized on a few bad games by the usual division leader, due mostly to player health issues.

By the end of the season, the Bengals WILL lose a few more games and will choke in the playoffs. The Steelers will make the playoffs, one way or the other, and WON'T choke, at least not in the first round.

This time next year? Same old Bungles. I guarantee it.

Steelboy84
11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I think that the Bengals will end up being this year's version of the 2008 Tennessee Titans. A team that started out really strong and capitalized on a few bad games by the usual division leader, due mostly to player health issues.

By the end of the season, the Bengals WILL lose a few more games and will choke in the playoffs. The Steelers will make the playoffs, one way or the other, and WON'T choke, at least not in the first round.

This time next year? Same old Bungles. I guarantee it.

Yep, they're nothing but a fluke just like Dallas.

I can see them losing at SD, at, NYJ, and at MN. I see them with at least 5-6 losses before season's end.

Pittsburgh will go 12-4 or 13-3 with the division title.

Here's hoping.

:drink:

BlastFurnace
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't think they are a fluke this year guys. They beat us twice. They have always had talent, they just never put it together like they have this year.

Angus Burgher
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah, it's still way to early to predict this crap.

Remember last year when the Bronocos were headed to the playoffs? And the Patriots were going to make it even WITHOUT THE GREAT TOM BRADY?

In my humble opinion, people are jumping on the Bungle Bandwagon and are ignoring that this team has only had a few games were it was legitimately dominant. I guess you could say the same for last year's Steelers, but at least the Steelers have consecutively proven themselves to be a playoff staple. The Bengals? Yeah, they've made it once in 18 years. Not exactly a juggernaut.

And people can go on about "Oh, if Palmer wasn't injured in 2005" all they want. The Steelers already beat him once that year. They beat him again in one of the 2006 matchups (when Ben was recovering from two surgeries). They beat him twice in 2007. Last year he was injured again. This year, yeah he was clutch in the first game and he did win it for them. The last game? If you think Palmer or Ochosphincter were the deciding factor in that game, then you clearly weren't watching the same game that I was.

Dino 6 Rings
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Is this the same Bengals team that also lost to Houston at home? Just checking.

See how they handle success, see if they beat the teams they are supposed to beat.

We can only focus on what we need to do, which is beat Kansas City this weekend (I'm in section 343) HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

Giovanni
11-17-2009, 01:45 PM
I am still not sold on the Bengals. Realizing that I am a Steeler fan with difficulty giving the opponent any credit, I just cannot see them making any noise in the playoffs. Lets face it, the Steelers gave away the first game; Ben throwing a pick 6, Limas dropping a sure touchdown, and playing a loose defense on the final drive and failing to stop two 4th and long plays, the last of which was beyond pathetic.

Not that the Bungles don't play us tough. Our division games are never automatically counted in the win column even if the opponent has a poor record. Ben played his worst game of the season on Sunday. Still, Santonio failed to pull in a perfect Ben pass for a touchdown which could have made the difference in this game. Santonio has been plagued by drops and miscues this season. The defense played very well and they seem to be back in form despite the injuries. Still, they lost this game for a number of reasons. Once again, Arians played the fool. Where was the 'no huddle' or the 'muddle' to get some rythm to the offense. Ben seems to make better play call decisions than Arians in the no huddle offense because Ben calls those plays himself.

To say the least, it was a frustrating game. Clearly the offense and a special teams blunder cost us this one. The Bungles played hard. But I do not believe they are a better team. With that said, I really cannot see how the Steelers can win the division with the Bengals schedule. How can they possibly loose to Oakland, Detroit and KC? I can see them losing to Minnesota and San Diego, maybe. But even if that happens the Steelers will have to win out. Can it be done. I suppose it can but lets not count on it happening. I think the Steelers will lose at least 1 more game and the Bengals probably 2. At best we are looking at two 12-4 teams. A wildcard will be hard to swallow with that kind of record and the debacle in Chicago and Cincinnati at the beginning of the season may prove to bite us in our collective asses.

tomiesteel
11-17-2009, 03:00 PM
the bengals defense was impressive, they got to ben and didn't allow him to escape the pocket and their db's covered well all game. on the other hand, their offense didn't impress me at all. if we get them again i think we will learn from our mistakes on offense .

i still don't think they are a great team. they are pretty good, they aren't the same old bengals, i think they are one of those teams that could lose to a detroit lions or cleveland browns team but pull off a win against indy.

but i feel like we are a team like that too. i never trust the steelers against a team like oakland or kansas city, we always seem to play up or down to our competition, we need to blow those teams out and hope cinci slips up

let them win the north thats good karma for us. the last time the bengals won the north we won the super bowl

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Personally, right now, i hope BOTH teams win out and face each other at the divisional or championship playoff game. NOTHING would revenge the loss Sunday like knocking Cinci out in their house in the playoffs.

In fact, there is no WAY that team can beat the Steelers three times in one year, and I consider a Bengals playoff game the absolute best case scenario for us at this point. i have no fear of the Bengals in spite of losing two straight to them...

markymarc
11-18-2009, 08:07 PM
I guarantee if we face them a 3rd time in the playoffs, we show them how to play late season football. We will be just fine come playoff time............the Bungles not so much IMO.

tube517
11-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't care if we win the division. I just want to get into the playoffs. In today's NFL, that is what matters.

:applaudit:

tube517
11-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I am still not sold on the Bengals. Realizing that I am a Steeler fan with difficulty giving the opponent any credit, I just cannot see them making any noise in the playoffs. Lets face it, the Steelers gave away the first game; Ben throwing a pick 6, Limas dropping a sure touchdown, and playing a loose defense on the final drive and failing to stop two 4th and long plays, the last of which was beyond pathetic.

Not that the Bungles don't play us tough. Our division games are never automatically counted in the win column even if the opponent has a poor record. Ben played his worst game of the season on Sunday. Still, Santonio failed to pull in a perfect Ben pass for a touchdown which could have made the difference in this game. Santonio has been plagued by drops and miscues this season. The defense played very well and they seem to be back in form despite the injuries. Still, they lost this game for a number of reasons. Once again, Arians played the fool. Where was the 'no huddle' or the 'muddle' to get some rythm to the offense. Ben seems to make better play call decisions than Arians in the no huddle offense because Ben calls those plays himself.

To say the least, it was a frustrating game. Clearly the offense and a special teams blunder cost us this one. The Bungles played hard. But I do not believe they are a better team. With that said, I really cannot see how the Steelers can win the division with the Bengals schedule. How can they possibly loose to Oakland, Detroit and KC? I can see them losing to Minnesota and San Diego, maybe. But even if that happens the Steelers will have to win out. Can it be done. I suppose it can but lets not count on it happening. I think the Steelers will lose at least 1 more game and the Bengals probably 2. At best we are looking at two 12-4 teams. A wildcard will be hard to swallow with that kind of record and the debacle in Chicago and Cincinnati at the beginning of the season may prove to bite us in our collective asses.

I agree..I am not sold on the Bungles either..they're good but not great.

Ben played like crap and special teams stunk and we were still in the game. I am very confident in this team. Let the haters hate and let the Steeler Nation ride high. I could give a rat's ass what ESPN (steve young, I'm talking to you), The NFL Network (Deion, I'm talking to you) or any other so called expert thinks.

stb_steeler
11-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Personally, right now, i hope BOTH teams win out and face each other at the divisional or championship playoff game. NOTHING would revenge the loss Sunday like knocking Cinci out in their house in the playoffs.

In fact, there is no WAY that team can beat the Steelers three times in one year, and I consider a Bengals playoff game the absolute best case scenario for us at this point. i have no fear of the Bengals in spite of losing two straight to them...

I would love to see that to....Kinda like 2005 all over again...go ahead ochostinko i dare ya to wipe that TT on your shoes...LoL

stillers4me
11-19-2009, 06:11 AM
There's an evil part of me that weants to see them win the division, lose their first playoff game, and then listen to all fans whine next year when the see there 1st place schedule and fall back into obscurity. Having the Steelers go on to win the Superbowl or at least make to the AFCCG would be icing on the cake.

But I'm funny that way. :chuckle:

Angus Burgher
11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I fail to understand how so many so-called analysts are acting like this game was proof that the Bengals are some unstoppable juggernaut. Defensively, yes, they played very well. But offensively? If you want to trash Ben and the Steelers offense for not finishing drives and not gaining a lot of yards, well then you'd better not put Palmer and his offense up on a pedestal. They were as ineffective as we were; it's evidenced by the same number of offensive points (12) and nearly identical passing and rushing yards.

Thus I'm not sold on the Bengals. Ravens fans still thought their team was superior to us after we beat them THREE times last year and nobody called them on it. Why should we be any different? The Steelers, when playing 100% (i.e. with all the key members... we're missing you Troy), are a better team than the Bengals.

B.A.B.
11-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I fail to understand how so many so-called analysts are acting like this game was proof that the Bengals are some unstoppable juggernaut. Defensively, yes, they played very well. But offensively? If you want to trash Ben and the Steelers offense for not finishing drives and not gaining a lot of yards, well then you'd better not put Palmer and his offense up on a pedestal. They were as ineffective as we were; it's evidenced by the same number of offensive points (12) and nearly identical passing and rushing yards.

Thus I'm not sold on the Bengals. Ravens fans still thought their team was superior to us after we beat them THREE times last year and nobody called them on it. Why should we be any different? The Steelers, when playing 100% (i.e. with all the key members... we're missing you Troy), are a better team than the Bengals.

A better team than the Bengals as evidenced by what? You're using the same excuse as the last game. You guys are made up of excuses. We didn't have Cedric Benson, who came into the game as the NFL's 2ND LEADING RUSHER. Our starting LB Keith Rivers was out. Our starting and awesome CB Leon Hall was in and out of the game the whole afternoon and was being replaced by 6th round rookie Morgan Trent. We had no running game at all, which we've come to rely on, and we still got more points than you. Our defense SMASHED Ben. If you want an excuse as to why he was "out of sync" it was because Brandon Johnson and Jonathan Fanene were stuck up his ass the entire game. I don't care what your stats are man. We won twice, and the second time we defensively dominated you guys AT YOUR OWN FIELD. So what if Carson didn't do it throwing for 3+ TDs. So what if Chad only had 20-30 yards. Does that matter in the slightest? Has that ever mattered when you guys in the past have ran it up the gut on us, replying on Ben throwing BS screen passes and Bettis to run it up the middle?

You guys lost. And the fact that you're still complaining about it and saying that you're the better team still just makes you more and more pathetic. Your excuse is that Ben didn't finish drives? Well neither did Carson. We had more key starters injured than you did, and we've been adjusting to losing starters on defense since the beginning of the season. First Odom went on IR. Then Roy Williams. Now Keith Rivers is having injury problems again. Well, you know what? We ADJUST. If your whole D revolves around 1 player, like you guys like to act like it does, YOU WILL LOSE.

Go cry about it. :tt:

steelerchad
11-19-2009, 10:26 PM
A better team than the Bengals as evidenced by what? You're using the same excuse as the last game. You guys are made up of excuses. We didn't have Cedric Benson, who came into the game as the NFL's 2ND LEADING RUSHER. Our starting LB Keith Rivers was out. Our starting and awesome CB Leon Hall was in and out of the game the whole afternoon and was being replaced by 6th round rookie Morgan Trent. We had no running game at all, which we've come to rely on, and we still got more points than you. Our defense SMASHED Ben. If you want an excuse as to why he was "out of sync" it was because Brandon Johnson and Jonathan Fanene were stuck up his ass the entire game. I don't care what your stats are man. We won twice, and the second time we defensively dominated you guys AT YOUR OWN FIELD. So what if Carson didn't do it throwing for 3+ TDs. So what if Chad only had 20-30 yards. Does that matter in the slightest? Has that ever mattered when you guys in the past have ran it up the gut on us, replying on Ben throwing BS screen passes and Bettis to run it up the middle?

You guys lost. And the fact that you're still complaining about it and saying that you're the better team still just makes you more and more pathetic. Your excuse is that Ben didn't finish drives? Well neither did Carson. We had more key starters injured than you did, and we've been adjusting to losing starters on defense since the beginning of the season. First Odom went on IR. Then Roy Williams. Now Keith Rivers is having injury problems again. Well, you know what? We ADJUST. If your whole D revolves around 1 player, like you guys like to act like it does, YOU WILL LOSE.

Yea, I was at the game and it was ugly. Obviously didn't play well. You can say we played bad or you could say the Bengals made us play bad. Either way we lost this game. But all isn't lost for the season. In fact, we're exactly where we were a year ago. I figured 11-5 for this team as the Steelers never stack up 14-2 seasons. I think we are well on our way to that kind of record and the playoffs. What I didn't expect is the Bengals to play as well as they have this year. It looks like 11-5 may not be good enough to take the division this year, but it will be good enough to get in the tournament. The key will be playing well and being healthy going into January. If we are on both counts, I like our chances against anyone. I'm not going to say we'll blow anyone off the field, but we'll be good enough to win a tough, close came against the best teams in the NFL.

I remember the last time the Bengals were decent. 2005. Congrats on that AFC North Championship. Fly that banner with pride.:tt03:

In the AFCN, most years it's the Ravens and Us. Some years it's the Bengals and Us. Every once in a while it's the Browns and Us. See the trend, the one constant is US.

HometownGal
11-19-2009, 10:26 PM

Aren't you just a "bad ass" from behind that little screen there Bungles Boy? You Bungles fans were thumping your chests in 2005 and look how that worked for you. :too funny:

Most of us here have congratulated the Bungles on their win - I notice how you conveniently missed those threads.

Take your :troll: ass back to Shitsinnati. :wave:

Nadroj 20
11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Aren't you just a "bad ass" from behind that little screen there Bungles Boy? You Bungles fans were thumping your chests in 2005 and look how that worked for you. :too funny:

Most of us here have congratulated the Bungles on their win - I notice how you conveniently missed those threads.

Take your :troll: ass back to Shitsinnati. :wave:

Yes! I knew that guy would last i love it when you take out the garbage :applaudit:

Steelers & I
11-19-2009, 11:37 PM

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/bkakers/InternetToughGuy_2.jpg

tony hipchest
11-19-2009, 11:45 PM
We had more key starters injured than you did, and we've been adjusting to losing starters on defense since the beginning of the season. First Odom went on IR. :

your "key" starters are nothing but fluffs compared to our top 22. thats why the poor bungles are so easilly replacable when they go down.

LambertWardSteel
11-20-2009, 03:28 AM
I remember the last time the Bengals were decent. 2005. Congrats on that AFC North Championship. Fly that banner with pride.:tt03:

The funny thing about this is...after Steelers won in 05, I caught some posts somewhere where Bungle fans were saying things like: well, they may have won the Super Bowl, but WE are the division champs :chuckle:

stb_steeler
11-20-2009, 03:50 AM
The funny thing about this is...after Steelers won in 05, I caught some posts somewhere where Bungle fans were saying things like: well, they may have won the Super Bowl, but WE are the division champs :chuckle:

Well thats all they have to celebrate about......Winning the division instead of the SB is what they call a Redneck SB......:wink02:

Galax Steeler
11-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Well thats all they have to celebrate about......Winning the division instead of the SB is what they call a Redneck SB......:wink02:

I guess when they beat the Steelers it probably feels like they won the superbowl.:rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Last Playoff Win for the Bengals. 1990 over the Houston Oilers....thats OILERS not TEXANS.

So since the Bengals last won a playoff game. the following has happened.

Houston Moved to Tennessee
Houston got a New Team
the Raiders moved BACK to Oakland
the Rams moved to St Louis
the Browns became the Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland got a NEW Browns team
Carolina got a New Team
Jacksonville got a New Team

Thats an awful lot of stuff to happen between playoff wins...still pending the Bengals actually making the playoffs and winning a fcking game there.

Get off your High Horse Cincy and DO SOMETHING before you dare start talking any fcking smack.

Read the Signature and STFU!

CantStop85
11-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Not to be rude or anything, but you guys are making a bigger deal about the Bengals win than the Bengals boards are right now. On most of the forums I've been on, the Bengals fans have already switched their focus to the Raiders and the remaining schedule. Surprising since last week was supposedly the Bengals Super Bowl.

Just an observation. :noidea:

HometownGal
11-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Not to be rude or anything, but you guys are making a bigger deal about the Bengals win than the Bengals boards are right now. On most of the forums I've been on, the Bengals fans have already switched their focus to the Raiders and the remaining schedule. Surprising since last week was supposedly the Bengals Super Bowl.

Just an observation. :noidea:

Good to hear that most of the Bungles fans are concentrating on the upcoming game against the Raiders. I wish more Steelers fans would look ahead to the KC game.

That being said, however, the Bungles :troll:s who have permeated our board over the last couple of weeks must be a different breed. They were thumping their chests so hard that they probably broke a couple of ribs. :chuckle:

steelerchad
11-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Last Playoff Win for the Bengals. 1990 over the Houston Oilers....thats OILERS not TEXANS.

So since the Bengals last won a playoff game. the following has happened.

Houston Moved to Tennessee
Houston got a New Team
the Raiders moved BACK to Oakland
the Rams moved to St Louis
the Browns became the Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland got a NEW Browns team
Carolina got a New Team
Jacksonville got a New Team

Thats an awful lot of stuff to happen between playoff wins...still pending the Bengals actually making the playoffs and winning a fcking game there.

Get off your High Horse Cincy and DO SOMETHING before you dare start talking any fcking smack.

Read the Signature and STFU!

Instead of listing what's gone on in the NFL. Let's take a look at what the Steelers have done since the Bengals last won a playoff game.

27- Number of playoff games the Steelers have played since 1990.
16- The number of playoff games the Steelers have won since 1990.
13- The number of seasons the Steelers have made the playoffs since 1990.
7- The number of AFC championship games the Steelers have played in since 1990.
3- The number of AFC championship games the Steelers have won since 1990.
2- The number of Superbowls the Steelers have won since 1990.

All this and it doesn't even include the glory years of the 70's.
14 AFCC games total and 7 Superbowls, winning 6 of them.
Wow, does anyone even Bengals fans themselves believe they'll be lucky enough to get #1. I doubt it.