PDA

View Full Version : WWII in HD on the History channel

Fire Haley
11-17-2009, 06:28 PM
All new stuff, in color, 2hr shows.

http://www.history.com/content/wwii-in-hd

Watch it.

Those B-17 guys were crazy - awesome aerial footage.

hindes204
11-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice....im gonna get the wife to DVR it and Ill check it out when i get home in a few weeks

Hammer67
11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Awesome, awesome, AWESOME show. I am DVR'ing them all.

Christian Snyder
11-17-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm watching it right now..

GBMelBlount
11-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Already been DVR'ing them.

Awesome stuff.

Borski
11-17-2009, 09:22 PM
While interesting, how can they call it HD? there is no way the footage they have can be close to HD color, yes, HD no.

TheWarDen86
11-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Already been DVR'ing them.

Awesome stuff.

Ditto!

SCSTILLER
11-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Watched it all last night! Awesome show, and Gary Sinise did an excellent job narrating it. Wish I had a DVR, will just have to buy the DVD's.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Watched two episode last night....VERY good!!!!!!

GBMelBlount
11-18-2009, 06:58 AM
While interesting, how can they call it HD? there is no way the footage they have can be close to HD color, yes, HD no.

Good point Borski.

However, I watch TV on a 100" screen so the picture quality & format is CRITICAL.

So as poor as the picture quality of WWII footage is, watching it in an HD format makes it both viewable & enjoyable on the "big screen" in a home theater environment.

Although it wouldn't make a big difference on many size TV's, if it were not in an HD format, I simply would not be able to watch it. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
11-18-2009, 09:57 AM
DVRing the whole series...I'm still trying to get through the 10-11 hours of "National Parks: America's Best Idea" which was Ken Burns latest work...also DVRing "The Prisoner"...putting quite a strain on my DVR's memory!

Christian Snyder
11-18-2009, 04:15 PM
This show is awesome!!!!!

Hammer67
11-18-2009, 06:16 PM

They remastered the original prints to fit the 720p format that History HD channel puts out. The film stock was obviously not digitally recorded in HD.

Preacher
11-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Wish I would have gotten a chance to see that.

however, I am always a bit cautious of the "history" in the history channel. Some things are pretty good, other things are quite off.

TheWarDen86
11-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Wish I would have gotten a chance to see that.

however, I am always a bit cautious of the "history" in the history channel. Some things are pretty good, other things are quite off.

Like what?

I saw a thing on the Kennedy Assassination that I COMPLETELY disagreed with. Then they came out with another that actually won me over (non-conspiracy thinking).

Fire Haley
11-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I am always a bit cautious of the "history" in the history channel. Some things are pretty good, other things are quite off.

This is actual combat footage as it happened - mostly from the enbedded reporters going out with the combat photographers and stories from some of the lesser known battles like the Marines going ashore on Kwajalein Island.

There's no "agenda" here. Maybe you should just watch it.

Dino 6 Rings
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Seriously...its an awesome Show...I only caught one episode of it so far and didn't change the channel. it was the one with the Marines in Gaudal Canal (spelling on Gaudal I'm sure) and the Americans and British tank units in Africa going against Rommel.

Its a fantastic show. It really is. So much information that you don't get in history books in Schools these days. Basically now they teach "Germans bad, Japs Bad, Americans Good, War was Won but we dropped Atom Bombs on People and that was bad"

This show on History channel gets into the dirty nitty gritty fighting and tragedy of the war on all aspects. That I've seen anyway.

Marines left for weeks without food and fighting off disease like dysentary.

GBMelBlount
11-27-2009, 09:38 PM
This is actual combat footage as it happened - mostly from the enbedded reporters going out with the combat photographers and stories from some of the lesser known battles like the Marines going ashore on Kwajalein Island.

Just started watching it. You are indeed right. Footage and soldiers words, no agenda here. God bless these brave men......

Preacher
11-27-2009, 11:07 PM

Cool. Like I said, some things are pretty good. Other things are a bit off.

I wish I could watch this. Sadly, I am WAY too busy right now.

Preacher
11-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Like what?

I saw a thing on the Kennedy Assassination that I COMPLETELY disagreed with. Then they came out with another that actually won me over (non-conspiracy thinking).

When I have watched most of their "bible" shows, they usually go for the more "out-there" theories that even most well-studied liberal theologians shun.

If they do that there, it makes me wonder what else they do it with.

However, I have also seen some good stuff. That is what makes me think that sometimes it is pretty good, sometimes it is pretty far off.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-28-2009, 05:54 AM

Agreed...the combat footage is the real deal.

military photo's always make me a little leary. I have heard and read about too many "staged" photo ops to take them at face value...that being said, this show is excellent.

touchdownward
11-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Those are great, I've watched quite a few of those. They remind me of another series they had called the Color of War. They did it for WWII and WWI. They quality of the the HD is much better.

beSteelmyheart
11-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Last weekend I spent ALL DAY in front of the tv when they played all of the episodes, I usually don't do that but once I started watching, I couldn't stop. I'll end up buying the series on DVD if possible. (my fiancee's Dad is in one very short clip that has also been shown on another Pacific campaign documentary-he was a Seabee & is near the end of the show that featured the battle for Tarawa)

GBMelBlount
11-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I am now watching the episode that is focusing on the liberation of the prisoners in german concentration camps. My father was a Captain & he and his troops were directly involved in the liberation of the Dachau prison camps. My father was personally tasked with taking pictures of the carnage. Can you imagine.....Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...friends.

augustashark
11-29-2009, 02:03 AM
I am now watching the episode that is focusing on the liberation of the prisoners in german concentration camps. My father was a Captain & he and his troops were directly involved in the liberation of the Dachau prison camps. My father was personally tasked with taking pictures of the carnage. Can you imagine.....Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...friends.

Everytime I see or hear about what these men did it makes you realize why they called it the greatest generation. These men were the salt of the earth and they will always have ownership of this country. God bless your pops gbm.:drink:

revefsreleets
11-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Even though I've read about and seen about it many times, the sheer massive logistical undertaking that was D-Day still staggers the imagination...150,000 men, almost 12,000 aircraft, 50,000 vehicles landed....just amazing....

GBMelBlount
11-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Everytime I see or hear about what these men did it makes you realize why they called it the greatest generation. These men were the salt of the earth and they will always have ownership of this country. God bless your pops gbm.:drink:

Thank you friend. That is why even though I never served I understand the difficulties that vets have, including many of those who grace Steelers Fever with their presence and friendship.

My father saw many of his friends killed, absolutely obliterated, right by his side.

My father was a strong Christian and when called to serve, approached my grandfather and asked him what to do as one of the commandments in the bible states "Thou shalt not kill" (I realize it's semantics Preach).

My father did have to kill people, and the taking of the lives of others, perhaps very good people with families who loved their wives and children dearly and served when called in the same manner he did...is something he never fully dealt with.

Look at the pictures of the carnage at Dachau and imagine witnessing that first hand......and one can only imagine the demons my father dealt with in private throughout his entire life.

God bless him. May he rest in peace and may God bless and comfort all who have served this great country....especially those who experience these same demons.... :hug:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Thank you friend. That is why even though I never served I understand the difficulties that vets have, including many of those who grace Steelers Fever with their presence and friendship.

My father saw many of his friends killed, absolutely obliterated, right by his side.

My father was a strong Christian and when called to serve, approached my grandfather and asked him what to do as one of the commandments in the bible states "Thou shalt not kill" (I realize it's semantics Preach).

My father did have to kill people, and the taking of the lives of others, perhaps very good people with families who loved their wives and children dearly and served when called in the same manner he did...is something he never fully dealt with.

Look at the pictures of the carnage at Dachau and imagine witnessing that first hand......and one can only imagine the demons my father dealt with in private throughout his entire life.

God bless him. May he rest in peace and may God bless and comfort all who have served this great country....especially those who experience these same demons.... :hug:

I cant thank your father...but I can thank the son for the cost your father paid for my freedom. You are part of a heritage of bravery and sacrifice. What an honor.

GBMelBlount
12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Watching the episode where they raised the flag in Iwo Jima. Amazing stuff.