PDA

View Full Version : Available Practice Squad Spot

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-18-2009, 07:34 AM
With Wood going to the 53 man roster, we now have a slot open on the practice squad.

Any thoughts as to who would be a good player to add and develop?...Joel Bell?

SteelMember
11-18-2009, 07:54 AM
I'd normally say that they'd just replace the depth that was just vacated. So a LB would be my first suspect. And knowing their history of familiarity, they'll probably go with a guy like Schantz or Korte who they had in training camp this summer.

Maybe even Derrik Richardson at S. Although, they already have Tuff Harris.

SteelMember
11-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Keeping on the LB theme, is LB Antonio Appleby (Virginia) signed with anyone?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2009, 10:10 AM
With Wood going to the 53 man roster, we now have a slot open on the practice squad.

Any thoughts as to who would be a good player to add and develop?...Joel Bell?

I believe that Joel Bell is playing in Saskatchewan of the CFL under former Cowboys O line coach Bob Wylie. Wylie seems to praise Bell for being a quick learner and very athletic.

Maybe look for Bell to get signed by somebody in the offseason or after the CFL season is over.

KeiselPower99
11-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Shantz is on the BC Lions Practice Squad.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I believe that Joel Bell is playing in Saskatchewan of the CFL under former Cowboys O line coach Bob Wylie. Wylie seems to praise Bell for being a quick learner and very athletic.

Maybe look for Bell to get signed by somebody in the offseason or after the CFL season is over.

You may be correct, but I thought the NFL/CFL Co-Operative Relationship Agreement allowed players to place an "option" into their contracts that allowed them to sign with the NFL. I know is some cases its been the duration of the contract and in other cases they allow "option years" on the backside of the contract.

I know they are not always allowed that clause, but it is a negotiable option.

SteelMember
11-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Shantz is on the BC Lions Practice Squad.

That's too bad. He was the better of the two.

KeiselPower99
11-18-2009, 02:46 PM
You may be correct, but I thought the NFL/CFL Co-Operative Relationship Agreement allowed players to place an "option" into their contracts that allowed them to sign with the NFL. I know is some cases its been the duration of the contract and in other cases they allow "option years" on the backside of the contract.

I know they are not always allowed that clause, but it is a negotiable option.

Once the CFL season is over I believe that option kicks in.

steelersfanman92
11-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I would look at a FB like Conredge Collins or Brannan Southerland

Tone's Toes
11-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I remember some Steeler fans wanting to take a flier on former Lions DE/LB Ikaika Alama-Francis when he got released. I think he's still available. Guy must just be considered a 2nd round bust league wide since that's the case though.

Fire Haley
11-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Steelers claimed WR Jake Allen off waivers from the Packers.

Pittsburgh has been very concerned with its special teams production, and Allen can contribute in that area. He won't make an impact at wide receiver.

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

KeiselPower99
11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
2 reasons why that move wouldnt have worked. 1. By claiming him he would be on the active roster. 2. Why would we need another Wr?

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2009, 10:56 PM
2 reasons why that move wouldnt have worked. 1. By claiming him he would be on the active roster. 2. Why would we need another Wr?

and 3....the BROWNS claimed jake allen...:sofunny:

Browns claimed linebacker Arnold Harrison on waivers from Pittsburgh and claimed wide receiver Jake Allen on waivers from Green Bay.

markymarc
11-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I could be wrong, but it looks like we signed Curtis Gatewood to the PS to replace Donovan Woods. Curtis played LB at Vanderbilt.

SteelMember
11-20-2009, 02:24 PM
You are correct.

He is a LB, so I guess I only get half a cookie. :chuckle:

Gatewood was originally signed by the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He has also spent time on the rosters of the Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles. He was cut by the Eagles earlier this year in the final roster cut down to 53.

Here's some info

http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gatewood_curtis00.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/5826.html

There are some video highlights in the SI link.

markymarc
11-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Good find on Curtis Gatewood SteelMember and thanks for sharing it. Let's see what he can do with some time in our system. It looks like he was close to making the final 53 of the Eagles this year. Maybe he could turn into a special teams player for us.

Steely McSmash
11-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Here's my info on Gatewood from my blog on Drafttek.com:
The team has signed Curtis Gatewood to the practice squad in Woods’ spot. At 6-2, 245 lb Gatewood looks like an OLB/ST guy. He’s in his second year in the league and has spent time with the Redskins, Lions, Chiefs and most recently the Eagles. With the Eagles, for what it’s worth , he was listed as a 4-3 OLB. He’s a DE converted to OLB so he could be a diamond in the rough who was unable to find a spot on those 4-3 teams.

http://www.drafttekblog.com/2009/11/21/state-of-the-steelers-week-11/

Looks like he was a small DE at Vandy and was trying to convert to 4-3 OLB with a bunch of teams. Good project with the backups at OLB looking thin.

Galax Steeler
11-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Looks like Tomlin is serious about fixing our special teams. Who would he bench in favor of Gatewood if this is the case.

markymarc
11-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Looks like he was a small DE at Vandy and was trying to convert to 4-3 OLB with a bunch of teams. Good project with the backups at OLB looking thin.

More good information on Gatewood. Thanks for posting it. It sounds like he would be a better fit at OLB in the 3-4 defense. They say the only thing he needs to learn is coverage as an OLB in the 3-4. Plus it can't hurt to have depth at OLB for us.

tmacsteelerfan
11-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I sure hope he's a god a defending kick returns. How much i do miss Sean Morey

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Nice link...did you happen to notice the little write-up on Tyler Grisham at the end of the article?

Practice Squad player Tyler Grisham could potentially find a roster spot down the road as a slot receiver and special teams ace. He was a special teams captain at Syracuse. The Steelers have a tradition of #5 receivers who are special teams dynamos. Perhaps Grisham can be the next such player in the mold of Chidi Iwuoma and Sean Morey.