PDA

View Full Version : Fake Steeler Jersey for $800.00 + ?!?!?!

kprst6
11-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Can anyone verify if the Hines Ward Jersey for sale on the Mario Lemieux Foundation site is an Authentic jersey or not?

http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=110566783&prmenbr=12717464&aunbr=110913493

I don't have a digital camera, but from what I can see, the jersey itself is 100% fake and someone is bidding $800.00 + dollars for it.

The last name "WARD" should be about twice the size. I have never seen an authentic WARD jersey with the last name WARD that small and spaced that close together. My alternate WARD is spaced out like "W A R D" and not "WARD" like on this jersey.

The stitching is identical to that of a fake. It doesn't sit flat on the numbers and sticks out like a speedbump on the edges. No authentic jerseys or replicas use this type of stitching for the numbers. Ex most stitching is spaced out like |/|/|/|/|/| on real replicas and authentics with the stitches sitting completely flat. The stitching on the jersey on the MLF site basically looks like ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| which is consistent with fakes.

The MLF rep said that they "Contacted the Steelers to ensure it was real". I am skeptical that they talked to any expert from the Steelers because it looks like a $30.00 borntrade.com jersey. Plus, the person that purchased the jersey may have pocketed the extra $200.00+ dollars they normally would have had to spend on a real jersey. I doubt that the contact at the Steelers would admit the jersey was fake if they were pocketing any money.

What are your thoughts? I would hate to see someone pay $800.00 for a fake jersey!!! The Holmes one is also a little questionable but no where nearly as bad as the WARD.
http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=110566793&prmenbr=12717464&aunbr=110913503

kprst6
11-18-2009, 12:15 PM
On nflshop.com you can clearly see the difference between a real one and the MLF fake jersey.

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3102812&cp=716704.2237514&view=all&page_bucket=0&PAGES_PER_BUCKET=10&num_buckets=2&pageType=family&pageNum=1&pageDisplay=superfamily&totalProductsCount=147&hasPagination=false&int_prevBucket=-1&showSizeSearch=false&PRODUCTS_PER_PAGE=9&int_nextBucket=0&pageCount=17&parentPage=family

In the MLF jersey, notice how the R and D are almost touching even though the jersey is flat. In the nfl.com picture, notice how there is a much larger gap between the letters. Also notice that in the nfl.com picture, the letters are taller.

SteelMember
11-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Normally, I may jump in and pick it apart, but in this case the proceeds are going to CHARITY. That is the real reason people are bidding so much to begin with.

Even if the jersey isn't authentic, which it may not be, the signature is undoubtably 100% legit. I don't think these guys (Lemieux or Ward) wouldn't associate their names to anything that was an outright rip off.

Someone said, "Hines sign this for our charity auction", and he said sure. It's not like it came out of his locker. Although, THAT would be cool.

The Mario Lemieux foundation is very respectable.

Think of it as a donation, with a free gift... Which is what it's really all about.

kprst6
11-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Normally, I may jump in and pick it apart, but in this case the proceeds are going to CHARITY. That is the real reason people are bidding so much to begin with.

Even if the jersey isn't authentic, which it may not be, the signature is undoubtably 100% legit. I don't think these guys (Lemieux or Ward) wouldn't associate their names to anything that was an outright rip off.

Someone said, "Hines sign this for our charity auction", and he said sure. It's not like it came out of his locker. Although, THAT would be cool.

The Mario Lemieux foundation is very respectable.

Think of it as a donation, with a free gift... Which is what it's really all about.

Yes that is true. I am just saying, this shouldn't be auctioned as being an Authentic Jersey if it isn't. Someone out there might be expecting a signed $275.00 jersey instead of a $25.00 borntrade.com jersey. Also, if they catch the person profiting from the fakes within the organization, they could stop this in the future. It is quite possible that Employee A was given a jersey to get signed and switched it with this fake one. They might be making money off of the real authentic. The employee wouldbe stealing from the MLF which is worse in my opinion. They would also be stealing money from someone that paid $800.00 of their hard earned money for a fake.

iloveben7
11-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I work at the Steelers Sideline store and the jersey looks real to me. I also have a throwback Roethlisberger that I know is real and the letters in his name are spaced that closely together.

Justin Otstott
11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
THOSE ARE REAL! THE HOLMES JERSEY IS DEF REAL!

kprst6
11-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I know that the letters are supposed to be closely spaced, however the ARD are virtually touching.

kprst6
11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hines_Ward_throwback_2007.jpg

klick81
11-19-2009, 11:04 AM
I work at the Steelers Sideline store and the jersey looks real to me. I also have a throwback Roethlisberger that I know is real and the letters in his name are spaced that closely together.

LOL...they probably had to do that just because his last name is so long.

kprst6
11-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Here is a better comparison...
The MLF one doesn't even look close to the one Hines himself is wearing on gameday!!!

iloveben7
11-19-2009, 04:49 PM
LOL...they probably had to do that just because his last name is so long.

haha true but all of them are that close together