PDA

View Full Version : Suggs has torn MCL - media calling for Quinn's head

Fire Haley
11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Ravens: Quinn should be fined

ESPN.com news

The Ravens are still fuming over Browns quarterback Brady Quinn's hit on Ravens linebacker/defensive end Terrell Suggs during the Ravens' 16-0 win on Monday night -- a hit that could cost Suggs significant playing time.

Quinn threw a chop block at Suggs after an interception in the third quarter, rolling into his right knee.

The Carroll County Times reported Wednesday that Suggs has a slight tear of his MCL. But his agent, Gary Wichard, fears Suggs could miss the rest of the season. Suggs was initially diagnosed with a sprained knee.

"You just don't do that," San Diego Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips told ESPN's First Take on Wednesday, saying Quinn should be fined $50,000.

-------------------------

It took Troy 5 games to come back - Suggs is probably done.

Ravnet
11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Obviously Quinn didn't mean to injure Suggs, but this pretty much puts the nail in our season.

That statement is a bit dramatic, but we can't afford to lose our best pass rusher for the most difficult stretch of the season when everything else is going wrong anyway.

Galax Steeler
11-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Obviously Quinn didn't mean to injure Suggs, but this pretty much puts the nail in our season.

That statement is a bit dramatic, but we can't afford to lose our best pass rusher for the most difficult stretch of the season when everything else is going wrong anyway.

I think you are correct, the ravens was already thin in the defense. With Suggs going out that is a huge blow to that defense.

Fire Haley
11-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Cleveland Browns QB Brady Quinn fined for low hit on Baltimore Ravens LB Terrell Suggs

By Mary Kay Cabot
November 18, 2009, 11:22AM

Tracy Boulian, The Plain DealerBrowns quarterback Brady Quinn said today that he was fined for his low hit on Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs. BEREA, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Brady Quinn said this morning that he had been fined by the NFL for low hit on Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs during the Browns' 16-0 loss on Monday night at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Quinn had been penalized on the play as he hit Suggs around the knees following an interception by Chris Carr. Suggs limped off after the play and didn't return. Several Baltimore players were critical of Quinn for what they called a "cheap shot."

Quinn reiterated today that he was not trying to hurt anyone and was trying to get underneath Suggs to make a play on Carr.

Quinn did not disclose the amount of the fine but said it was significant.

-------------------------

That $11 million in playing time incentives sure would come in handy about now, huh Brady?

Ravnet
11-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I think you are correct, the ravens was already thin in the defense. With Suggs going out that is a huge blow to that defense.

Well, they are fifth in the league in points scored against despite being "thin," which I do agree with, at least in part; the team just isn't doing well in general this year due to a number of reasons, such as not having a kicker and the offense racking up 99% of its production in the second half, not just the defense having a down year relative to their standards.

My point was that we were already teetering on the edge of mediocrity before Suggs was injured, so with any key player being forced to sit on the sidelines would have been devastating as the balance is upset.

Just as a side note, Suggs isn't half as good as non-Ravens fans think.

Fire Haley
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM

You just signed him to a six-year, $63 million contract!

Boy are you screwed.

SteelMember
11-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't completely understand this. Is there a double standard here? Didn't Favre do the same thing a few weeks back? Doesn't almost every QB act like a human speed bump out there? And what's the difference if it's the QB, or a LB on a RB. You see it all the time for defensive players. Knocking their feet out from under them is the only chance you have with some guys.

To be fair, I didn't see the "play", so there may be other circumstances. :noidea:

EDIT: ok, just read in the other thread that Suggs was a blocker, NOT the ball carrier.
That explains a lot.

SteelMember
11-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Is that why they call him T-sizzle?

Cause he's burning up the cap. :hunch: :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
11-18-2009, 12:59 PM
i read a comment by someone that said qbs and kickers dont know how to tackle..lol...

so not only is quinn getting fined, but lebron wants to play WR for the browns??? what is next in cleveland?

Indo
11-18-2009, 01:41 PM
For what it's worth, I have always thought that Suggs was a little overrated---but what do I know, it's just an opinion

What I don't "get"---having watched the game---is what Quinn was even doing. He had just thrown an interception (NOT entirely his fault, BTW; the ball hit the receiver in the hands and he flat-out coughed it up and it was intercepted by I forget who). The Ravens then became the "return team" with many of them turning to block---much as we see the Steelers do after an INT. Suggs was one of those blockers. At NO TIME did Quinn appear to be going after the interceptor or "trying to get under the block" of Suggs. He clearly went down at Suggs knees to knock him down. Now I HATE the recent pussification of football in all its Bradyhood. But this move was clearly rather cheap. I think it was Quinn's response to a frustrating game. But it wasn't necessary in any way. Knocking Suggs down does nothing to bring down the interceptor...
I don't particularly like Suggs and his thug "bounties". But he didn't deserve this, either

my 2 cents

MY OTHER 2 CENTS:

No way in hell does the Cavs organization let LeBron play fussball (like Mama says, "Fussball is the devil..."). He gets payed big bucks to sink hoops. The injury risk is too great---
Unless he reworks his whole contract and takes a hit on how many Benjamins he's gonna get. I just don't see that happening...)

WeegiesWarriors
11-18-2009, 02:49 PM
i read a comment by someone that said qbs and kickers dont know how to tackle..lol...

so not only is quinn getting fined, but lebron wants to play WR for the browns??? what is next in cleveland?

I don't know how mainstream this fact is but Lebron played WR his junior year at SVSM. I watched him play and he caught three TD's that game. Man among boys. I remain convinced that had he picked up a football instead of a basketball early in his life he would have been an All-Pro WR ala Randy Moss... probably better.

revefsreleets
11-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Although there is a TON of anti-LBJ sentiment on this board, the facts are facts. He MAY be the fastest player in the NBA (and I did NOT pull that out of my ass), and he was first team all-Ohio as a WR in his sophomore and junior HS seasons.

Think about this: Larry Fitzgerald is 5 inches shorter, weighs 40 lbs less, and is weaker and slower than LBJ.

I have read many, many speculative articles stating that LBJ would be every bit as dominant in the NFL as he is in the NBA.

But it ain't happenin'....

Angus Burgher
11-18-2009, 03:39 PM
I do know one thing.

Lebron has a much better chance of being a part of the Cleveland Browns organization next season than Eric Mangini does.

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2009, 03:44 PM
maybe hines put a league wide bounty on suggs and brady needed to supplement his income after losing that 11 million bonus ....:noidea:

devilsdancefloor
11-18-2009, 04:08 PM
WoJeLA6HDs4

i had not seen it and no way he was going for the interceptor on that......

Fire Haley
11-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Adam Schefter reports that the league has fined Quinn $10,000.

$10K for ending a guy's season on a dirty hit and $250k for flipping the bird. Something is wrong with the way the NFL fines people.

stillers4me
11-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't completely understand this. Is there a double standard here? Didn't Favre do the same thing a few weeks back? Doesn't almost every QB act like a human speed bump out there? And what's the difference if it's the QB, or a LB on a RB. You see it all the time for defensive players. Knocking their feet out from under them is the only chance you have with some guys.

To be fair, I didn't see the "play", so there may be other circumstances. :noidea:

EDIT: ok, just read in the other thread that Suggs was a blocker, NOT the ball carrier.
That explains a lot.

Brett Favre got fined, too.

So now, when a quarterback cheapshots someone, it is known as " Brett Favre-ing" the player. :chuckle:

Brett Favre.

Psyychoward86
11-18-2009, 04:49 PM
m'kay, i know Goodell is a huge toolbag in the way that he seems to throw fines around at anybody, especially when it's against a QB, but Quinn needs his ass handed to himself. He needs a hefty fine, not a pansy $25,000 fine, and a temporary suspension. Although i wouldnt be surprised if Goodell does nothing about this since after all, it was a quarterback trying to protect himself :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2009, 04:54 PM
some people might even think the cribbs hit was a "cheap shot "

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vVPyaIU7yz4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vVPyaIU7yz4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fire Haley
11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Payback's a bitch

AllD
11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
That's a legal hit, but unnecessary. A couple of the vultures peeled off Belichoke and are now circling Mangina. Funny how Zorn outlasted Jaroun and might outlast "the genius jr."

Steeler in Carolina
11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
I hate both teams, but Quinn's hit was a cheap shot plain and simple. He sucks as a QB and now he is going for guys knees with dirty hits. He should have been fined 100000 in my opinion.

Jmat
11-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Adam Schefter reports that the league has fined Quinn $10,000.

$10K for ending a guy's season on a dirty hit and $250k for flipping the bird. Something is wrong with the way the NFL fines people.

Bass ackwards huh?

revefsreleets
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
And the worst incidence of cheating in the history of the entire league, serial pattern cheating that lasted for almost a decade and quite literally determined league championships for years, only warranted $500k.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

revefsreleets
11-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Quinn is 12-17 for 199 and 3 TD's and it's early in the 3rd.

A little confidence, and this kid can play QB in the NFL...a more stable team with a real coach will help more than a little bit...

Ravnet
11-22-2009, 04:16 PM
A little confidence, plus the Detroit Lions, and this kid can play QB in the NFL

Felt like you left something out.

revefsreleets
11-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Felt like you left something out.

It's dismissive to say that it was 100% the team he played.

He threw the ball accurately. He threw the ball downfield. He manged the game. He didn't make stupid mistakes. He completed 64% of his passes. His QBR was 133.1.

Quinn isn't going to do this every week, but it's a step in the right direction. My point is that many have called the kid a bust, but he's in a less-than-ideal situation with a fool for a coach. He has the tools, he just needs a chance to get some starts under his belt and see what he can do.