PDA

View Full Version : Holmes disputes Big Ben: Steelers were in sync

mesaSteeler
11-18-2009, 09:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-restoretherun&prov=ap&type=lgns
Holmes disputes Big Ben: Steelers were in sync

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 33 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Ben Roethlisberger(notes) felt out of sync all day in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offense. Santonio Holmes(notes) felt just fine.

Holmes disputed the quarterback’s notion that the Steelers had “something missing” during a 18-12 loss to Cincinnati that moved the Bengals (7-2) ahead of the Steelers (6-3) in the AFC North race.

Holmes took umbrage on Wednesday when a reporter asked why the Steelers couldn’t find their rhythm while producing the sixth fewest yards (226) they’ve had in a home game since moving into Heinz Field in 2001.
ADVERTISEMENT

To Holmes, the problem was that the Steelers didn’t finish the drives they had, settling four times for field goals, not that they couldn’t find their game.

“How could we not find a rhythm when we drove the ball all the way down the field?” Holmes said. “We just didn’t put up points on the board.”

Still, the Steelers didn’t exactly mount a lot of long drives. Eight of their 11 possessions didn’t move the ball more than 26 yards and their longest was for 49 yards, or the equivalent of advancing from a team’s own 20 to the opposing team’s 31.

The Steelers’ 226 yards—146 passing and 80 rushing—were only 19 fewer than their lowest offensive production at Heinz Field, 207 yards against Washington in 2004.

“There was just something missing all day, and I don’t know what it was,” Roethlisberger said. “Something was weird about the day. I don’t know if it was the (mid-60s) weather in November or what it was. Even the crowd at the beginning—everything was just kind of different. No excuse.”

Holmes suggested that if Roethlisberger felt that way, it explains why the Steelers lost.

“He’s the quarterback. He’s got control over everything, who touches the ball,” Holmes said. “He dictates where the ball goes, and if he felt that way, it’s probably why we didn’t win the ballgame.”

Of course, Holmes (7 catches, 88 yards) had a much better day than Roethlisberger (20 of 40, 174 yards, 1 interception) so the offense’s repeated stalling might not have seemed as evident to him.

To Holmes, it would have helped if the Steelers had run the ball more. Rashard Mendenhall(notes) was coming off a 155-yard game in Denver, but he was limited to 13 carries for 36 yards.

“The last game (in Denver) those big plays opened up for us,” because the Steelers ran the ball effectively, Holmes said.

Holmes, the Super Bowl MVP, also offered this suggestion: “Get the ball to the playmakers.”

Left tackle Max Starks(notes) also wanted to run more than 18 times, the fifth fewest carries the Steelers have had in any game since 2001. Of course, most offensive linemen wouldn’t mind running on every down.

“I’m going to say yes all the way. But that’s not the game plan that they saw from what they (the Bengals) were giving us,” Starks said. “You look at a team and see what the weaknesses are and try to attack those weaknesses.”

The Steelers, who have slipped to No. 17 in rushing, probably want to get back to running more often Sunday against the Chiefs (2-7), who are sixth from the bottom in rushing defense.

“I think there’s a shot of working more into that,” Starks said.

Not allowing the third kickoff return touchdown the Steelers have yielded in four games might have helped against Cincinnati, too. But kicker Jeff Reed(notes) isn’t about to take the blame for being one of the 11 would-be tacklers who missed Bernard Scott(notes) during his pivotal 96-yard return.

Reed was surprised to be singled out for not bringing down Scott, especially since he had to run from one side of the field to the other to try to make the play.

“That was about a 50-yard sprint for me, and my job is to make him cut back inside and he went inside of me,” Reed said. “I just look at those people (who were critical) like they don’t know what they’re talking about.”

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 09:12 PM
“He’s the quarterback. He’s got control over everything, who touches the ball,” Holmes said. “He dictates where the ball goes, and if he felt that way, it’s probably why we didn’t win the ballgame.”

Dayum. Well, he's got a point.

iloveben7
11-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I've always felt that Santonio likes to spread the blame on anyone but himself.

Holmes dropped a sure TD pass so he can't say it's all Ben.

Holmes, the Super Bowl MVP, also offered this suggestion: “Get the ball to the playmakers.”

um just to let you know Santonio, #7 is a playmaker and you wouldn't have that MVP title to your name if it wasn't for Ben.

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2009, 09:42 PM
i read somewhere that holmes was targeted 14 times....he caught 7... yea there was a problem...:doh:

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 09:48 PM
i read somewhere that holmes was targeted 14 times....he caught 7... yea there was a problem...:doh:

In his defense, how many were catchable? You saw that pass to Ward that was deflected (off the side of his helmet) and picked. Ben did not look good, but he also did not have time. I thought it was very strange considering how solid the line had been all year, and the fact the we'd lost to Cincy once already and the implications in the game.

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2009, 09:51 PM
In his defense, how many were catchable? You saw that pass to Ward that was deflected (off the side of his helmet) and picked. Ben did not look good, but he also did not have time. I thought it was very strange considering how solid the line had been all year, and the fact the we'd lost to Cincy once already and the implications in the game.
i'm not blamming the lack of receptions on holmes... i'm referring to....

Holmes disputed the quarterback’s notion that the Steelers had “something missing”

“How could we not find a rhythm when we drove the ball all the way down the field?
how could you BE in rythme and not score TD's ?

7SteelGal43
11-18-2009, 09:55 PM

um just to let you know Santonio, #7 is a playmaker and you wouldn't have that MVP title to your name if it wasn't for Ben.

DITTO !!! and may I add STFU Santo.

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 09:57 PM
i'm not blamming the lack of receptions on holmes... i'm referring to....

how could you BE in rythme and not score TD's ?

Not sure how to answer that, but I kind of agree with Holmes in that they were solid (on a few drives) right up to the red zone. But heck, it was the same way for the Bengals too. I dunno. :noidea:

iloveben7
11-18-2009, 09:58 PM

one was definately catchable in the endzone

and what about Santonio's other drops this season? I know a few were TD's and some were critical 3rd downs. I never heard him say anything about him messing up, but when Ben has a bad day, Santonio jumps right on his back

GridironWarrior
11-18-2009, 10:01 PM
This is borderline to a TO move. I don't think Holmes should have done that thru the media.

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
This is borderline to a TO move. I don't think Holmes should have done that thru the media.

That I definitely agree with.

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Not sure how to answer that, but I kind of agree with Holmes in that they were solid (on a few drives) right up to the red zone. But heck, it was the same way for the Bengals too. I dunno. :noidea:

when the QB is bouncing balls off a receivers head 5 yds from the line of scrimmage...your outta sync...:chuckle:

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 10:09 PM
when the QB is bouncing balls off a receivers head 5 yds from the line of scrimmage...your outta sync...:chuckle:

:chuckle: yep. He earholed Hines on that one.

devilsdancefloor
11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
they where all out of sync not matter what tone says! he was out of sync he dropped a sure TD. If he wasnt out of sync he needs a eye exam. Im gonna say it i think it is time to let sweed have a chance to get his mojo back.

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 10:23 PM
they where all out of sync not matter what tone says! he was out of sync he dropped a sure TD. If he wasnt out of sync he needs a eye exam.

You had me right up until you wrote this little gem:

Im gonna say it i think it is time to let sweed have a chance to get his mojo back.

Put the crack pipe down and step awaaay from the keyboard. :chuckle:

HometownGal
11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
DITTO !!! and may I add STFU Santo.

As much as I love the guy, I have to agree. If he feels this way, he should address it with Ben privately, as he has to know by now that the Pittsburgh sports media would get a huge woodie over those comments. :doh:

iloveben7
11-18-2009, 10:29 PM
As much as I love the guy, I have to agree. If he feels this way, he should address it with Ben privately, as he has to know by now that the Pittsburgh sports media would get a huge woodie over those comments. :doh:

exactly. If he's too afraid to talk about it with Ben personally, he doesn't deserve to be on the team.

msafford
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm sorry, but I look at this article, and I see the "lovely" media taking one little thing that Holmes said, and twisting it into something "controversial."

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 10:31 PM
exactly. If he's too afraid to talk about it with Ben personally, he doesn't deserve to be on the team.

I'd chalk it up as a brain fart on his part. Nothing more. He probably got caught off guard and I doubt he meant anything by it. Just seems like he got long winded at the wrong time and with the wrong folks.

Man I hate the media. You know you're an asshole if you get paid to stir up shit.

devilsdancefloor
11-18-2009, 10:38 PM
You had me right up until you wrote this little gem:

Put the crack pipe down and step awaaay from the keyboard. :chuckle:

oh no sir it si a marlboro:wink02: honest it is...

But why not? how is he ever gonna prove himself playing ST?

Shea
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I've noticed a few times that Santonio has said or done things that don't put him in the best of light, and this would be another.

I like him, and it's obvious his teammates enjoy him too by their interactions with him that you'll catch from time to time when watching the game.

Not to sound insensitive, but I just don't think Tone is the sharpest tool in the shed, so I bet these types of comments will probably continue to pop up occasionally during his duration with the Steelers.

I don't think he ever means to direspect a teammate or cause harm to the team though.

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
oh no sir it si a marlboro:wink02: honest it is...

But why not? how is he ever gonna prove himself playing ST?

I'm just kidding about him, but whose spot is he going to take? Holmes, Ward, Wallace? He was out there as the #4 I think....which reminds me, what happened to S. McDonald? :noidea:

NJarhead
11-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I've noticed a few times that Santonio has said or done things that don't put him in the best of light, and this would be another.

I like him, and it's obvious his teammates enjoy him too by their interactions with him that you'll catch from time to time when watching the game.

Not to sound insensitive, but I just don't think Tone is the sharpest tool in the shed, so I bet these types of comments will probably continue to pop up occasionally during his duration with the Steelers.

I don't think he ever means to direspect a teammate or cause harm to the team though.

Couldn't agree more. He means well, but he's not always aware of where he is.

iloveben7
11-18-2009, 10:56 PM

exactly and that's how I've felt for awhile now about Holmes.

devilsdancefloor
11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm just kidding about him, but whose spot is he going to take? Holmes, Ward, Wallace? He was out there as the #4 I think....which reminds me, what happened to S. McDonald? :noidea:

i dont remember him out there as #4, but i was to busy yelling throw the damn ball or something the would be [censored]. I seen Mcdonald in sweats on the sideline during the cincy game a few times. I dont want him to take the No. 3 spot from wallace, but maybe look for him on a fade or something down in the redzone.... something anything to get him some confidence

Steelboy84
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM

True................................

but we may not have that 6th SB title if Holmes had not made the catches down the field + the TD catch.

They work well together. :thumbsup:

stillers4me
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Much ado about nothing.

iloveben7
11-18-2009, 11:09 PM
True................................

but we may not have that 6th SB title if Holmes had not made the catches down the field + the TD catch.

They work well together. :thumbsup:

exactly but Ben hasn't said anything like this about Santonio so that's why I said it

tony hipchest
11-18-2009, 11:31 PM

ouch.

from my perspective ben was trying to force the ball to his play makers all day (and on sunday the playmakers were all the wr's as opposed to mendenhall).

i think starks summed it up nicely.

Glace
11-19-2009, 01:43 AM
This just adds fuel to my fire of starting to hate Holmes.

No...I'm not saying trade him or cut him....he's just ticking me off lately. Every time I see him flex after making a catch, my blood boils.

He's turned from "Mr. Fumble" on special teams to "Mr. BigHead"

Why....WHY......WHHHHYYYYYY Can't we find a few more Hines Ward's instead of getting these ****y WR's.

From Plax to Holmes.

Maybe Charlie Batch needs to have the same sit-down with Holmes that he did with Ben.

"Tone...everybody is really starting to hate you. Shut your F'ing mouth and play ball"

iloveben7
11-19-2009, 02:14 AM
^ugh that muscle flexing thing is REALLY getting on my nerves. If he makes a catch for 1 yd he'll do it and it makes me so freaking mad.

Angus Burgher
11-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Yes, thank you for chiming in Holmes. Way to make great catches every time except when it really counted.

BlockMonsta
11-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Ever since Holmes made a name for him self in last years playoffs he has just become more and more ****y. I mean I dont mind his pointing/flexing on first downs, but on EVERY single first down? It's just silly. Then to do this, he really is starting to sound like other "big name" recivers...not to fond of that.

solardave
11-19-2009, 04:09 AM

That's why Ben is the leader. He accepts blame even when it's not all his fault. You never hear him say anything negative about his line,receivers, or running backs. I think we call that maturity.Something Holmes has yet to achieve.

X-Terminator
11-19-2009, 06:24 AM
This just adds fuel to my fire of starting to hate Holmes.

No...I'm not saying trade him or cut him....he's just ticking me off lately. Every time I see him flex after making a catch, my blood boils.

He's turned from "Mr. Fumble" on special teams to "Mr. BigHead"

Why....WHY......WHHHHYYYYYY Can't we find a few more Hines Ward's instead of getting these ****y WR's.

From Plax to Holmes.

Maybe Charlie Batch needs to have the same sit-down with Holmes that he did with Ben.

"Tone...everybody is really starting to hate you. Shut your F'ing mouth and play ball"

Yeah, because Hines has never, ever, ever done anything like what Santo has done. Never, ever. :coffee:

If you're going to bash Holmes for this stuff, then let's be fair and call out others when they do the same thing. Hines has been just as guilty of similar antics in the past, and has been a contract holdout to boot. And I love Hines - I have his authentic jersey with the SB XLIII logo on it. But let's not have selective amnesia, here.

That said, it was not smart for Santo to go to the media with these comments, and yes, I agree that he still has some maturing to do. He had a part in the offense being out of sync Sunday and should own up to it. If he catches that TD pass late in the game, the Steelers likely win the game.

Galax Steeler
11-19-2009, 06:28 AM
I don't see how Holmes can point the finger at Ben. The team played the whole game together they all made mistakes. They was not a complete team the whole game. Hopefully this will be a wake up call and they can get back to playing some football.

The_WARDen
11-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Ugh....we're STILL talking about that game? Sunday can't get here soon enough!

:coffee:

fdsannie
11-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Quote:

No Ben did not have a good day. Even if Holmes thinks that , he should not have said it to the media. Like someone said before, Ben never throws anyone or any group under the bus. He even took the blame at the end of his statement, like he always does. Holmes needs to act like a Steeler and be a team player. :frown:

Shoes
11-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Cut him..........and put SWEEEEEEEEEED in :chuckle:

scsteeler
11-19-2009, 09:10 AM

I disagree I don't think his comment were anywhere close to a TO move. It would be the same as if Ben said I felt that we were not going to win and Holmes said if he felt that way then that may be why they lost I don't think he was taking shots or throwing blame.

SteelerFanInStl
11-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Why do people keep saying that was a sure TD pass? The pass was high and Santonio barely got his fingertips on the ball when he was completely stretched out. That would've been a miracle catch. In Bens' defense, he had to get the ball over a defender and it looked like the defender even tipped it. There's no blame to be had on that play.

scsteeler
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
I think its time to move on the KC game, the Cincy Game is History nothing is going to change the outcome.

drucifer
11-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Did you guys read that interview?? THAT'S HOW YOU BE GREAT!!

Indo
11-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here...

Media: Ben says the team was out of sync

Holmes: I don't really agree with that...but we did have some Red Zone difficulties

Media: But Ben says...

Holmes: Well, maybe Ben did feel that way. And, since he is the one controlling the plays, he felt that his game was off. Once a QB feels that he is not playing up to par, he actually stops playing up to par. And we lost
(no blame there, just an observational statement)

I really don't think Santo was blaming Ben; I think he was baited by the effing media into saying something that has been made into more than was really said or intended

As for Santo's biceps flex---he is simply enjoying the game and has come up with his "Signature Small Celebration"--even if it's on every catch, who cares
Let me just refer everyone to Keisel's Bow and Arrow; Foote's Stomp; Peezy's kick; Hines' various things that he has done over the years; and (my favorite) Ziggy's dance--hope he doesn't put it away 'cause I, for one, liked it!

As for Homes' c0ckiness---
Put this in your head:
You just made an absolutely phenomenal catch inside of THREE defenders, got the toe tap, and essentially WON the SUPERBOWL with the Catch. People are talking about it being THE GREATEST PLAY EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE STEELERS and comparing it to the Immaculate Reception.
Wouldn't you, too, get a little bit of "I'm The Man" in your head?
Don't lie. You know you would.

I, too, think he should have made the TD catch during the Bungles game. But it would have been a tough one to make...

Justin Otstott
11-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Why the f@ck does almost everybody here bash mr. 10? Anyways I remember my man was wide open in the endzone and Ben threw it to the other side.

Fire Haley
11-19-2009, 10:47 AM
To Holmes, it would have helped if the Steelers had run the ball more. Rashard Mendenhall(notes) was coming off a 155-yard game in Denver, but he was limited to 13 carries for 36 yards

Run the ball. This is the same thing everyone here has been screaming about all week.
But when Holmes says it, he's dissing his QB?

He's not saying "throw me the ball" - he's saying run the ball more in the redzone.

Stupid reporters.

stlrtruck
11-19-2009, 10:55 AM
So what the two have a difference of opinion. I'm sure that's NEVER happened before!

Media hype - nothing more!

SteelGhost
11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Why the f@ck does almost everybody here bash mr. 10? Anyways I remember my man was wide open in the endzone and Ben threw it to the other side.

As far as my eyes could see, Santo was open twice, but Big Ben couldn't see him. And for the dropped pass in the EZ, if he would have catched it , now we Steelers fans would be cheering him for his great performance :noidea:

I think he talked a little bit out of frustration, losing twice to the Bungles must have hurt him badly as well as the Nation. I hope he matures soon, he's a great player. For the "flex" and pointing 1 & 10's, many players in the league have "little celebrations" :chuckle:

Now, let's move on and think about the Chiefs :wink02:

X-Terminator
11-19-2009, 11:14 AM

He's held to a different standard. It's as simple as that. Hines can do his first down points, flexes, TD dances and celebrate big hits, Wallace can do his somersaults into the end zone for TDs, Woodley can do his kick, Keisel his bow-and-arrow move...not one peep. Holmes flexes his muscles after a first down or big catch, and all of a sudden it's the end of the world.

That said, I still wish he'd have kept his thoughts to himself here, if for no other reason than to keep from being taken out of context. It just wasn't the right time, and his comments do look as if he is pointing fingers at Ben for the loss.

Dino 6 Rings
11-19-2009, 11:39 AM
It looked to me like they were out of sync in the passing game. Ward didn't seem to be looking for the ball on a couple throws, Ben missed Miller open a couple times, Wallace was a ghost all day, not visable except when underthrown (cough cough) and Holmes had 7 misses including a Touchdown Catch drop. Sorry but it was a miss on Holmes. It was the exact same thing he did on the first play to the left side of the endzone in the Super Bowl, he was worried about his feet, forgot to catch the ball first.

Also, lack of running attempts killed us. You Can Not Play Action Pass if there is no Run Action to worry about. Ben started to hold the ball too long, not trusting his first options and pumping for the big hit too often. He needs to get the ball out quicker early in games to set up the pump fake. Just a theory of mine.

Anyway, the Defense did its job, held the Bengals to 12 points, 4 Field Goals. Kick Off team Epic Failed, and the Redzone Offense Epic Failed.

Move on, lets gear up for the Chiefs and beat their heads bloody.

steel striker
11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
The offense was out of sych and, Holmes should have caught that pass for a td. I have seen him harder catches then that one. Once again Ben takes the blame for everything and, most wr tell you I'm always open. Time to move guys and, I'm sure Ben and Tone will laugh about this later.

TackleMeBen
11-19-2009, 05:27 PM
well if ben thinks holmes was taking a stab at him, wonder how many passes he will get this sunday???? you know since ben controls everything as holmes said...

i think the media baited holmes into saying that. and it probably wasnt meant the way we are reading it.. but i have no problem that coach tomlin pulled holmes aside and said we dont throw our million dollar qb under the bus and then had them both sit down and talk it out and hug:hug:

MillerMania83
11-19-2009, 07:46 PM
TOTALLY AGREE....If Santonio feels this way about last Sundays game, he should go to Ben and talk about it, not do it through the media, thats nothin' but BS IMO....Second, #10 should STFU and CATCH THE DAMN BALL, the guy seems to drop passes every game, and last week was NO DIFFERENT, as that was a SURE TD that went right through his hands, as Ben put the ball perfectly where it should be, right between both hands, like he's done numerous times this season to Holmes, and seemingly WAY TOO OFTEN, getting the same result, an INCOMPLETE PASS....It's crunch time Santonio, CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!!

7SteelGal43
11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Cut him..........and put SWEEEEEEEEEED in :chuckle:

That level of sarcasm is completely uncalled for, Shoes :chuckle:

markymarc
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey Santonio, the loss against the Bungles occurred 5 days ago. Time to move on. And if you would have caught the TD pass we wouldn't even be having this discussion. You be great by making plays like that. Now let's focus on the Chiefs :tt02:

austinfrench76
11-20-2009, 03:20 PM
That TD that Holmes dropped looked like the pass from the SB, only he dropped this one just like he did in the left side of the endzone before he caught the game winner. Thats 2 games Holmes has done that this year. Chicago and CIncy. The Chicago drop was just like that throw as well!!!

steelax04
11-21-2009, 02:47 PM
If Ben is communicating with Santonio simply by reading what he said to reporters, then there's a bigger problem than what Santonio said.

I doubt many players conduct conversations with each other through interviews with the media and I have a feeling Ben and Santonio have discussed the game and moved on. Just a hunch.

But if you straight-up call out your QB like TO did many times (which imho, Santo didn't), that's when it gets messy.

steel striker
11-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Will this week ever end? lol

iloveben7
11-22-2009, 02:02 AM
finally tmrw is Sunday.
we need to move on

jev7452
11-22-2009, 02:12 AM
i'm sorry i just need to vent about this for a minute.. i think holmes is a piece of crap and i've been saying this for that past 3 seasons.. yeah he may make some clutch plays when it comes down to the wire but at the same time he drops easier passes than he catches and then he goes and does stuff like this that just contradicts everything the steelers organization stands for.. he may be a legit receiver but until he is gone i will continue to hold a grudge against him... and thats my input haha

Glace
11-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't hold Holmes to any higher standard than anybody else on the team. Yeah, Ward does his first down pointing and smiles the entire game....except when we are losing. The smile and joy is gone. The celebrating is over. His emotion is based on the game. Not on his catches or stats.

We're LOSING a game....Holmes makes a catch for a few yards, and gets up and flexes. It's getting ridiculous.

That being said....I only hate the ego. Not the player. Holmes still and always will have my full support as long as he's wearing the black and gold.