View Full Version : Polamalu told to keep quiet about injury

mesaSteeler
11-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Polamalu told to keep quiet about injury
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_653882.html#
By Mark Kaboly
Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, November 19, 2009

Safety Troy Polamalu, who did not practice Wednesday, was not permitted to speak to the media about his injured left knee. Spokesman Dave Lockett informed the media that questions about Polamalu's injury would not be answered by Polamalu, who attended practice wearing a cumbersome brace on his leg that stretched from his shin to the middle of his calf.

Put Ryan Clark down as one player who wouldn't have been very happy if his coach went for it on a fourth-and-2 in their own territory late in the game, like New England's Bill Belichick did Sunday against the Colts. "Our guys would've been extremely (mad)," Clark said. "We all have a little bit of an ego defensively. But when said he guys we are going for it, you say 'OK, coach' and you sit your tail down."

The Steelers have high hopes for linebacker Donovan Woods on special teams after he was promoted from the practice squad earlier in the week. "I don't know if I have anything unique," Woods said. "I am just going to go out there and play with great effort and try to make some plays."

Defensive end Travis Kirschke went through individual drills for the first time since injuring his calf muscle in the second half of the Minnesota game four weeks ago. "It is a gradual process," said Kirschke, who hasn't tested the calf since right before the Monday night game in Denver. If Kirschke can't play Sunday in Kansas City, he will be replaced again by Nick Eason.

Not practicing for the Steelers were Polamalu, Kirschke, WR Hines Ward (not injury-related), LB James Farrior (not injury-related), FB Carey Davis (hamstring) and WR Mike Wallace (illness).

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Images and text copyright 2009 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.
Reproduction or reuse prohibited without writte

Fire Haley
11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.sports-injury-info.com/pcl-knee-injury.html

Instability, especially when moving from side to side, or rotating on the leg is common with PCL knee injury.

While almost all ACL tears requre surgery, most PCL tears are treated conservatively initially. The use of a knee brace, rest, and rehabilitation can be effective in treating PCL knee injury.

PCL knee injury is a serious knee injury, although not terribly common. It results from forced knee flexion, or a direct blow to the front of the low leg.
PCL tears produce swelling, pain, loss of motion, and instability, and can be treated conservatively, but may require surgical intervention.

Angus Burgher
11-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Whoa, Wallace is ill? Hope he's better by Sunday. If not, dare I say we might actually see if Sweed can finally be effective at WR.

As for Polamalu... am I the only one who finds it a bit ironic that the quietest guy on the team was told to keep quiet? Anyway though, I hope he heals up soon. I think he should sit out this game at least, until he's 100%. We need him in the future... especially against the Ravens. I wan't to see him own Flacco's ass like he did last year.

madtowndrunkard
11-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Tomlin is just copying NE. There is no point to pretend. I guess he some how hopes the other teams won't game plan to go after Carter if Troy can't play. As soon as Troy leaves the field the other team is going to air it out.

Lost in the loss to cinci is the fact that teams will copy what Cinci did.....they are going to blitz us on every down until Ben can learn to deal with it.

X-Terminator
11-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Lost in the loss to cinci is the fact that teams will copy what Cinci did.....they are going to blitz us on every down until Ben can learn to deal with it.

The Broncos tried that and got shredded, because the OL and Mendenhall have gotten good at picking up the blitz. And Cinci did not blitz every down anyway - they were playing a whole lot of cover-2 and dropping their LBs into coverage to confuse Ben, while getting pressure from their front 4. 2 of the 4 sacks Ben took were coverage sacks, the other 2 were the result of blitzing the empty set.

mulldog24
11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I just hope that by them telling Troy to keep quiet that the injury is not worse than it seems and that he won't be out for a longer period of time.

Fire Haley
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
I will gladly round up a virgin goat and poor it's blood over Troy's knee, if a sacrifice will help.

stb_steeler
11-20-2009, 04:05 AM
I have a feeling Troy's injury is worse than led to believe. I dont think he was 100% and it may take longer to heal.

markymarc
11-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Troy can just use his Head and Shoulders Jedi mind over the media :chuckle:

steelreserve
11-20-2009, 02:52 PM
He should just put some Robitussin on it.

Fricking Madden curse.

markymarc
11-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Fricking Madden curse.

So when is that Madden curse going to hit Larry Fitzgerald :chuckle: