PDA

View Full Version : Halp!!!

Fire Haley
11-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm going tee-vee shopping - 50"> , 1080, LCD, plasma, I don't care.

Where's the best deals?

stillers4me
11-19-2009, 08:02 PM
We have the new Samsung LED (46") at it is nothing less than awesome. You will have to invest in speakers.

NJarhead
11-19-2009, 08:16 PM
I DO NOT recommend a Vizio unless you get a great warranty from the dealer. Vizio's are great right up until they break and you have to deal with them. I was lucky that I opted for the warranty Costco offered. THEY were awesome about it.

Fire Haley
11-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I just wondered if people bought locally or ordered on-line and then had any problems along the line.

NJarhead
11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd imagine it's much easier to deal with a local vendor than an on-line one.

43Hitman
11-20-2009, 08:11 AM
We have the new Samsung LED (46") at it is nothing less than awesome. You will have to invest in speakers.

Samsung is the best in my opinion. Stiilers is right though, you will need to invest in some better speakers. Which you should anyways if you're going to invest into a nice HD T.V.

43Hitman
11-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I just wondered if people bought locally or ordered on-line and then had any problems along the line.

I bought mine locally. It didn't trust anyone to ship it, the screen is to sensitive to take that risk in my opinion.

Fire Haley
11-20-2009, 08:23 AM
I already have the home theater surround sound system with the subwoofer and big speakers.
I can make the walls shake, I'm good there. My old 50" Mitsu is getting old.

43Hitman
11-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I already have the home theater surround sound system with the subwoofer and big speakers.
I can make the walls shake, I'm good there. My old 50" Mitsu is getting old.

You're good to go then! :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I am just overwhelmed with the choices - it's worse than buying a laptop.

SteelersinCA
11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Go to beast buy, they bought up the last of the pioneers. Try AVS Forums for advice. It really depends on the light in your room when you are deciding between plasma, LCD and LED. The general consensus is still that plasma is the best picture quality. However Pioneer made the best, they got out, sold their plasma to panasonic. So I would say Pioneer, then panasonic. If you want LCD or LED the go Sony or Samsung. Sony and samsung use the same screen and they are made in the same factory.

NJarhead
11-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I am just overwhelmed with the choices - it's worse than buying a laptop.

See if Cnet rates them. They probably do, but if not do a one month subscription to Consumer Reports. It's worth it.

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I bought a Sony Bravia 46" LCD From Best Buy a few years back, 3 years now. Haven't had a single problem. I bought the top model at the time, not the cheaper Walmart not stacked with bells and whistles version they are trying to trick you into.

I stand by Sony. If you are going to invest in something as awesome as a Flat Screen TV, you truly get what you pay for. Somethings like shoelaces, you buy on the cheap, other things, you should spend the extra money to get the best possible so you don't regret the decision in a year or two.

Anyway, Sony always seems to be the top in Electronics in my experience. They really get it. Plus with Best Buy you get warranties and what not that a Walmart just doesn't offer.

NJarhead
11-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I bought a Sony Bravia 46" LCD From Best Buy a few years back, 3 years now. Haven't had a single problem. I bought the top model at the time, not the cheaper Walmart not stacked with bells and whistles version they are trying to trick you into.

I stand by Sony. If you are going to invest in something as awesome as a Flat Screen TV, you truly get what you pay for. Somethings like shoelaces, you buy on the cheap, other things, you should spend the extra money to get the best possible so you don't regret the decision in a year or two.

Anyway, Sony always seems to be the top in Electronics in my experience. They really get it. Plus with Best Buy you get warranties and what not that a Walmart just doesn't offer.

Sony has ALWAYS made a good quality product. My only issue with them is that they seemingly are designed to fail after a predetermined amount of time....and it's usually something trivial like a diode or a fuse that costs too much to bother repairing for the consumer, but that really should only be a few dollars.

MACH1
11-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I have a 63" Samsung Plasma, great TV. Also have a 50" Panasonic Plasma, great TV too.

The biggest difference between the two as far as I can tell is the price. Samsungs are a little less spendy size for size with Panasonics. But the Panasonics are the best plasmas on the market for the price. Panasonics have better blacks and to me the color's a lil better than the Samsungs.

Can't go wrong with either one. IMO

Fire Haley
11-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I think I found the one I want - and it's on sale locally at Sears and Best Buy - $799.00

Panasonic VIERA X1 Series TC-P50X1 50-Inch

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SN7QUU/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4614454587&ref=pd_sl_4798z9hani_b

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I think I found the one I want - and it's on sale locally at Sears and Best Buy - $799.00

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SN7QUU/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4614454587&ref=pd_sl_4798z9hani_b

That looks like its only 720p, you want 1080 man. Trust me, with all the HD coming down the pike, you want the top 1080p, not 720.

NJarhead
11-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Well, it got a good review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-tc-p50x1/4505-6482_7-33490593.html?tag=mncol;lst

MACH1
11-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Here's a link to get some real good research and real owner reviews.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

SteelersinCA
11-20-2009, 05:53 PM
1080p, go big or go home.

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2009, 06:03 PM
1080p, go big or go home.

I agree.

Killer I suggest you go to a local Best Buy or Sears, or any AV Dealership and view for yourself (heck maybe even walmart) something in HD on HD TVs that are 720p and 1080p.

I'd highly suggest also it be some type of Sport if Possible.

Soccer would even work, or baseball. You can see the Difference in the HD Quality, 720p and 1080p in sporting events very clearly. When you can actually count the blades of grass on a field from an over head shot...that would be 1080p.

When you can see the hotdog stuck between the two front teeth of some fan in the background of the 3rd basemen during a baseball game...yeah...that's the 1080p.

Go kick the tires before you buy something online.

SteelerEmpire
11-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Whatever you do "avoid plasma at all costs"..... Its the type of TV which its not really a good idea to play video games on or leave it on one channel for to long.
I left my plasma on when I took a trip down to dallas one weekend. You know those black boarders that's on the side of the screen when its not in wide-screen mode ? Well when I got back I found there was an image of those borders "burned" into my screen !!!
Had to throw the $2000 thing away.... I later found out that plasma's are known to do that.... I now have an "LCD" television (they don't burn the screen) and it's worked fine for years....

Fire Haley
11-20-2009, 07:05 PM
I spent the day looking at them side by side - the 1080p isn't worth another $400-500 to me. I priced them all. I can get a new laptop with the savings. I'm cheap.

But I found a Samsung for the same price - $799 - bundled with a free home theater receiver thrown in - that blew the Panasonic away.

Samsung PN50B450 50-Inch

http://www.hawkee.com/shop/prod/5897540/reviews/

MACH1
11-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I spent the day looking at them side by side - the 1080p isn't worth another $400-500 to me. I priced them all. I can get a new laptop with the savings. I'm cheap.

But I found a Samsung for the same price - $799 - bundled with a free home theater receiver thrown in - that blew the Panasonic away.

Samsung PN50B450 50-Inch

Good choice, can't go wrong with there.

Don't listen to people who leave their tv on all weekend unattended on black bars and then expect perfection. Thats their own damn fault.

Fire Haley
11-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm getting it.

This is better than Black Friday - I checked - it's a 4 day sale price - goes back up to $999 after tomorrow.

Did I mention it comes with a Samsung - 1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System ($229) - for free?

SteelersinCA
11-20-2009, 09:48 PM
The newer/better plasmas have built in burn in protection.

43Hitman
11-21-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm getting it.

This is better than Black Friday - I checked - it's a 4 day sale price - goes back up to $999 after tomorrow.

Did I mention it comes with a Samsung - 1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System ($229) - for free?

Good deal man, I have that same 5.1 system, it's really nice. The only thing about it is that after you have for about 6 months the fan in the receiver gets loud for the first 5 minutes or so when you turn it on. Overall the sound is great though, you'll be very happy with it.

43Hitman
11-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Yep, this is not a problem anymore.

Dino 6 Rings
11-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Samsung PN50B450 50-Inch

Still say you're making an error in not going with the 1080p, but its your dime.

Fire Haley
11-25-2009, 02:06 PM
The picture is awesome - and no lag time. Picture looked better than every 1080 LCD they had set up next to it. I got good eyes.

The kicker was them throwing in the 1000w DVD surround sound system with a USB port in for free - so if you want to look at it that way, I got the tee-vee for less than $500.

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-theatre/home-theatre-systems/HT-Z320T/XSA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

SteelMember
11-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Yes. There are burn in protectors on some models, but imo it is still worthless. When I went looking, the salesmen showed me the anti burn in feature. Then he proceeded to show me a black screen with the channel logos burned into the corners. It is still a very real thing. I wasn't ready to take the risk of falling asleep with the tv on, and have it cost me $1500. :noidea:

Still say you're making an error in not going with the 1080p, but its your dime.

It is very difficult to see the differences in most cases, but I can usually tell. The other thing is that current DirecTV only maxes out to 1080i, which is almost impossible to tell the difference from a 720p. It's just mathematically filling in the extra lines.

Now, watching a 1080p blue ray movie... undeniable difference.

The other big issue as far as LCD, LED goes is the Hz rate. Most now are 120, with the new ones at 240. This is basically your refresh rate, and is very noticeable with live action sporting events. The players will have artifacts and blurred pixels around them, but from a distance they are difficult to see. I believe most plasmas these days are 600Hz, which is why everyone loves the picture. Well, that and the extended color spectrum and black levels.

Looks like you've already made your choice. I hope you enjoy it.

Fire Haley
11-27-2009, 10:16 AM
The other big issue as far as LCD, LED goes is the Hz rate. Most now are 120, with the new ones at 240. This is basically your refresh rate, and is very noticeable with live action sporting events. The players will have artifacts and blurred pixels around them, but from a distance they are difficult to see. I believe most plasmas these days are 600Hz, which is why everyone loves the picture. Well, that and the extended color spectrum and black levels.

Looks like you've already made your choice. I hope you enjoy it.

It's AWESOME-O!

You're right - my plasma runs at the 600 hz and the refresh rate beats any LCD, and yes, the blacks are blacker than black. Totally aweome picture. I got it all hooked up and running easy as pie, the Samsung DVD/receiver that came with it is pretty damn good too for a theater in a box. Couldn't be happier.

I watch commercials again! - blows me away.

Dino 6 Rings
11-27-2009, 10:19 AM
It's AWESOME-O!

You're right - my plasma runs at the 600 hz and the refresh rate beats any LCD, and yes, the blacks are blacker than black. Totally aweome picture. I got it all hooked up and running easy as pie, the Samsung DVD/receiver that came with it is pretty damn good too for a theater in a box. Couldn't be happier.

I watch commercials again! - blows me away.

congrats on the tv..enjoy!