PDA

View Full Version : Couple Busted For Refusing to Pay Tip

Steelboy84
11-19-2009, 08:13 PM
By DAVID CHANG
Updated 12:20 PM EST, Thu, Nov 19, 2009

Patrons claim service was so bad, they had to get napkins and silverware for themselves.

If you’re frustrated by poor service at a restaurant, think twice before you decide to not tip. You may be in for a bit more than just a dirty look from the waiter.

"Nobody, nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," Leslie Pope said when her happy hour ended in handcuffs.

Pope and John Wagner were hauled away by police and charged with theft for not paying the mandatory 18 percent gratuity totaling $16 after eating at the Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa. with six friends.

Pope claimed that they had to wait nearly an hour for their order and that she had to get napkins and silverware for the table herself.

“At this point I became very annoyed because I had already gone up to the bar myself to have my soda refilled because the waitress never came back,” Pope said.

After the $73 bill came, the group paid for food, drinks, and tax but refused to pay the tip. After explaining the bad service to the bartender in charge, Pope claimed he took their money and called police. The couple was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car.

“I understand that, you know, we didn’t pay the gratuity, but it was a gratuity, it wasn’t something that was required,” said Wagner.

The owner admitted that the group waited unusually long for their food, but said the pub was extremely busy that night. He said managers offered to comp the food, a claim the couple denies ever happened.

“Obviously we would have liked for the patron and the establishment to have worked this out without getting the police involved,” said Deputy Police Commissioner Stuart Bedics.

Police charged them with theft since the gratuity was part of the actual bill. However, it is doubtful that the charges will hold up in front of a judge. The couple is scheduled to appear in court next month.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Time-In-Prison--70426052.html?yhp=1

NJarhead
11-19-2009, 08:15 PM
That is some BS right there.

Steelboy84
11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
That is some BS right there.

I know right?

Since when is a tip "mandatory"?

NJarhead
11-19-2009, 08:25 PM
I know right?

Some places do include the tip into the bill automatically. But I never considered what would happen if the service was terrible. That really makes me angry. Tell you what though, that place just got some baaaad publicity..., and I hope it hurts business. :mad:

Nadroj 20
11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
This is very stupid, like The Warden said i hope it hurts their business

MasterOfPuppets
11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Some places do include the tip into the bill automatically. But I never considered what would happen if the service was terrible. That really makes me angry. Tell you what though, that place just got some baaaad publicity..., and I hope it hurts business. :mad:
i always thought the whole tipping thing is ridiculious anyway. i mean pay the damn people the minimum wage and just raise your freakin prices ... i ate at uno's a few weeks ago ...about 5 minutes after our food came the waitress made a special trip to our table just to tell us her shift was over in 5 minutes. my brother was like...ummmm ok have a good one ...so i had to do a translation - i'd like my tip now ..:chuckle:

Nadroj 20
11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
i always thought the whole tipping thing is ridiculious anyway. i mean pay the damn people the minimum wage and just raise your freakin prices ... i ate at uno's a few weeks ago ...about 5 minutes after our food came the waitress made a special trip to our table just to tell us her shift was over in 5 minutes. my brother was like...ummmm ok have a good one ...so i had to do a translation - i'd like my tip now ..:chuckle:

Lol i would have done what your brother did....did you pay her the tip then?

MasterOfPuppets
11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Lol i would have done what your brother did....did you pay her the tip then?
yeah ... if i wouldn't have been there, he probably wouldn't have.. he's being a dick like that...:chuckle:

Nadroj 20
11-19-2009, 09:15 PM
yeah ... if i wouldn't have been there, he probably wouldn't have.. he's being a dick like that...:chuckle:

:chuckle:

NJarhead
11-19-2009, 09:32 PM

That would have annoyed me. I'm a generous tipper and you really have to be an ass to screw it up, but if you DO screw up I might react something like this:

http://4.media.tumblr.com/b68ogxm0Iev6evckxF5hQgMMo1_400.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
11-19-2009, 09:53 PM
That would have annoyed me. I'm a generous tipper and you really have to be an ass to screw it up, but if you DO screw up I might react something like this:

well its gettin outta hand the percentage they expect... don't recall the price of the food, but i remember the 15% came out to about 15 bucks which is what we gave her... i mean c'mon...15 bucks for carrying 4 sodas,plates , a pizza and some ribs.. ? she had less than 5 minutes invested in our table.. :doh:

NJarhead
11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
well its gettin outta hand the percentage they expect... don't recall the price of the food, but i remember the 15% came out to about 15 bucks which is what we gave her... i mean c'mon...15 bucks for carrying 4 sodas,plates , a pizza and some ribs.. ? she had less than 5 minutes invested in our table.. :doh:

See, that doesn't warrant 15%. More like 10%.
I usually give 20% when we go out actually....that's the norm around here for some reason.

MasterOfPuppets
11-19-2009, 10:02 PM
I usually give 20% when we go out actually....that's the norm around here for some reason.
i take care of my bartenders....not for getting my drinks, but for putting up with me and not throwing me out ...:chuckle:

NJarhead
11-19-2009, 11:02 PM
i take care of my bartenders....not for getting my drinks, but for putting up with me and not throwing me out ...:chuckle:

Oh I hear that! :chuckle:

MACH1
11-19-2009, 11:57 PM

Yep, good strategy. Doesn't hurt to buy them a shot every now and then either.

SteelersinCA
11-20-2009, 12:49 AM
What a waste of resources, if I were the cop I would have refused to help, it is within their discretion. I would have told the bartender to take a hike. Way to ruin your restaurants rep barkeep!

Galax Steeler
11-20-2009, 03:49 AM

That is one way to get your message across.:chuckle:

cubanstogie
11-20-2009, 08:14 AM
I know right?

come on Steelboy, I am surprised this bothers you. Most of us, especially here in CA give mandatory handouts against our will every paycheck. Do you see the hypocrisy. The restaurant has bought into Obamaism. Hey, I just thought of an idea. People ordering lobster, Filet Mignon, Wine, Faux grois, or other expensive items shall be tipped at 30 percent. They can afford it right.

SteelMember
11-20-2009, 08:32 AM
If this were me, I would have asked for the manager to come over, and told him the story. More times than not they WILL comp something. Maybe even a percentage of the total bill. Which in this case could have been more than the tip. A good manager tries to keep everyone happy. This guy seems to have said all the right things after the fact though.

A decent judge should laugh this out of court, and fine the resturaunt for wasting tax payer dollars. What was it... $17. :doh: They'll throw more food away in an hour.

But unfortunately, the 20% is what THEY are expecting.

:chuckle: Although, not having to ask for a drink every time is nice. You see me empty, give me another one. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
11-20-2009, 10:58 AM
come on Steelboy, I am surprised this bothers you. Most of us, especially here in CA give mandatory handouts against our will every paycheck. Do you see the hypocrisy. The restaurant has bought into Obamaism. Hey, I just thought of an idea. People ordering lobster, Filet Mignon, Wine, Faux grois, or other expensive items shall be tipped at 30 percent. They can afford it right.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but you do know that gratuity added on to restaurant checks is nothing new. It's usually just used in fine dining and for parties of a certain number or more in regular restaurants.

As a former waitress who has had to deal with large parties with and w/o gratuity added on, let me tell you...there's a reason they do it lol.

SteelCityMom
11-20-2009, 11:04 AM

LOL. Yeah, the whole $2.73/hr. gets a little old after a while. But I think I probably would have been even more upset over making $5.15 (which was min. wage when around the time I used to waitress) with no tips. No way would I have catered to 60+ drunks in one hour at 3 am on a Saturday for $5.15 or a table of 20 screaming 6 years olds and 2 adults for that lol.

Also, you don't have to feel obligated to give the waitress her tip right there. I know that's what it sounds like she's trying to ask for, but most of the time they're just telling you that someone else will be around to take care of you if you need anything. We always had leftover tips bagged up and put in the safe for anyone that had already left so they could get it in their next shift.

Bng_Hevn
11-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I know right?

Many places incorporate the mandatory gratuity for groups larger than X.

I tell you this, that place just lost a TON of future business. Would have been better for them if they just took the top off. You lose $16 now rather than $100s later.

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2009, 11:39 AM
That's just freaking wrong. They paid their bill, the service tip was not EARNED!

People feel effing entightled to "tips" well, do the JOB well and you'll get tipped.

Guaranteed Gratuity leads to lackluster service. Why would anyone work their butt off if they know they get paid the same regardless.

I hate people that "expect" without effort.

I'd have left a Single Penny.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Damn, reading this made me realize that I forgot to leave a tip at breakfast this morning when me and my girlfriend met up before she had to go to work.

Oh well, we go there a lot.....she'll just get double the tip next time!

revefsreleets
11-20-2009, 01:46 PM
The people who complain the loudest about tipping, and tip the least, not surprisingly, are also usually the people who have never worked as a server before.

Also, minimum wage is a joke. Even crappy bottom feeder serving jobs pay better than that. And once you get some experience, you can move on to higher tipping gigs at nicer digs and make some decent money. Serving is hard work, too. I'm a little removed from the whole thing now (last gig was in my second year of college), but I know some chicks who kept at it and made $600-$700 a week working at swankier places. If you don't have an education, that's pretty good jack...that's REALLY good money for a college job.

But arresting someone for not tipping? More "World Gone Mad" nonsense...

SteelCityMom
11-20-2009, 02:12 PM
The people who complain the loudest about tipping, and tip the least, not surprisingly, are also usually the people who have never worked as a server before.

A-FREAKING-MEN

But arresting someone for not tipping? More "World Gone Mad" nonsense...

Well, I think it was more for not paying the gratuity (which is a tip, but a mandatory one that's added on to the bill). Still, calling the cops is a little much. This is nothing more than poor management skills and employee skills. This story combined with what I'm sure is just a poorly run restaurant will aid it's eventual demise as a successful business.

steelreserve
11-20-2009, 04:14 PM

I complain pretty loudly about tipping, and I've worked as a waiter before (never mind the politically correct "server" bullshit -- don't know how they sneaked that one into the language). My main issue is people who feel like they're entitled to a tip by default. As if instead of having an invisible meter in their mind that starts at 0% and the expectation increases as they do good work, it starts at 20% and the expectation only drops if they're severely f***ing up -- which, of course, they never are in their own opinion. It's like "oh, it was the kitchen's fault, not my fault" or "oh, it was the manager's fault, not my fault," and sometimes it may well have been. But instead of taking their anger out on the kitchen or the manager, they bitch about the customer for being cheap. That's total garbage, and I hate it.

That's just one of the things that comes with the job -- you, as the waiter, are only one part of the experience of eating at a restaurant. Yes, there are other elements that are beyond your control, and if they go wrong, it can affect the customer's experience, and it can affect your tips. It just happens. If you're not prepared for some element of randomness, I don't want to hear about it. You should've been aware of it going in -- I mean, with the number of waiters who bitch about that aspect of their job, it's almost impossible to avoid hearing about.

BlastFurnace
11-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I have no problem tipping a good amount for good service at Restaurants, but if they add Gratuity to my check, that is all they get...regardless of how good the service or food is.

I tip about everyone that does good service for me...my Accountant during Tax Season, my Barber, etc. The only place I have a problem tipping...strangely enough...is Starbucks.

M1JAM
11-20-2009, 10:13 PM
I have no problem tipping a good amount for good service at Restaurants, but if they add Gratuity to my check, that is all they get...regardless of how good the service or food is.

I tip about everyone that does good service for me...my Accountant during Tax Season, my Barber, etc. The only place I have a problem tipping...strangely enough...is Starbucks.

Why would anyone tip the counter person at STARBUCKS? That's like tiping the counter person at McDonalds, or tipping the cashier at the supermarket. Why not tip the cashier at Circuit City while your at it. Better IDEA: Lets tip people who excell at their thankless jobs for crapppy pay but actually work hard to make our lives better -- like good teachers and fireman, and the hospital nurses who actually give a damn

BlastFurnace
11-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Why would anyone tip the counter person at STARBUCKS? That's like tiping the counter person at McDonalds, or tipping the cashier at the supermarket. Why not tip the cashier at Circuit City while your at it. Better IDEA: Lets tip people who excell at their thankless jobs for crapppy pay but actually work hard to make our lives better -- like good teachers and fireman, and the hospital nurses who actually give a damn

If you have ever purchased a cup of coffee at Starbucks, you will see the tip jar there. I agree...it's ridiculous.

klick81
11-21-2009, 10:03 AM
I was a waiter for about 2.5 years, and this is complete bull s__t. My experience as a waiter taught me to appreciate those who serve my food (and tip them well), but only if DESERVED.

You have to do a whole lot for me to leave that table without leaving a tip, and I think I've only done it once. Other times, maybe I will leave less, but I tipically leave 15%-20%, the latter only if the service was exceptional.

I hope that business suffers if only to pay for the customer's experience.

Steelboy84
11-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I was a waiter for about 2.5 years, and this is complete bull s__t. My experience as a waiter taught me to appreciate those who serve my food (and tip them well), but only if DESERVED.

You have to do a whole lot for me to leave that table without leaving a tip, and I think I've only done it once. Other times, maybe I will leave less, but I tipically leave 15%-20%, the latter only if the service was exceptional.

I hope that business suffers if only to pay for the customer's experience.

There's a restaurant called Picadilly. The food there is not real good.

And my uncle gave this waitress a tip:

he told her to go work at McDonald's.

:thumbsup:

msafford
11-23-2009, 09:20 PM

That...is....AWESOME!!!!! :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: