PDA

View Full Version : Next Year.......... the Pats* and the Saints

stillers4me
11-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Although it's a little early to start talking about next year, I thought this was interesting.

A glimpse at what we have to face next year. We get our shot at Tommy Boy* at home for a change (no pun intended :chuckle:)

How is the home team decided for non-divisional games?

Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Click here to submit your question

Q: How is the home team decided for non-divisional games? The PG reported on Monday that Sunday's game against the Chiefs will be eighth time in the past nine games between the two teams that the game will be in Kansas City. Is this ever considered when the schedules are made?

Joe Deffner, Forest, Va.

BOUCHETTE: When the NFL expanded to 32 teams in 2002, it also went to a scheduling formula that guarantees teams will play on a rotating basis. Besides playing each team in your own division twice, each NFL team will play teams from one other division in the AFC and one in the NFC. That leaves to games left and they play those based on where they finish the previous season.

This season, for example, the Steelers play the first-place teams from the AFC North (Miami) and South (Tennessee). Home-and-away is also predetermined, so no inequity such as the Steelers always going to Kansas City will take place. The schedule already is set for 2010. In addition to their own division, the Steelers will play at home: New England, New York Jets, Atlanta, Carolina and one team from AFC West based on their finish in the division. On the road they will play at Buffalo, at Miami, at New Orleans, at Tampa Bay and at AFC South team based on their finish.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09322/1014407-367.stm#ixzz0XOizUwKf

NEPAsteeler
11-20-2009, 01:56 PM
It's about time we get to play the Patriots* at HOME. I was wondering how that worked.

43Hitman
11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
It's about time we get to play the Patriots* at HOME. I was wondering how that worked.

Last time we played the Pats at Heinz, I think, was 2004, Ben's rookie year. Didn't we break their 20 win streak then followed that up by beating the Eagles the next week?

Christian Snyder
11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
It sure had been a long time since we played the Pats at Heinz Field... I hope we beat the snot out of them next year!

43 Hitman, we did indeed beat the Eagles the following week. Here is the Steelers 2004 schedule. http://espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=pit&year=2004

Galax Steeler
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
The Saints and Steelers should be a good matchup. I hope we just demolish Brady on the turf at Hines field.

Rick5895
11-20-2009, 03:23 PM
This is all great, but there are still 7 games plus playoffs left this season.

43Hitman
11-20-2009, 03:42 PM

Hey thanks for letting us know! :thumbsup:

GridironWarrior
11-20-2009, 03:58 PM
We played the Pats last at home in 05 and lost by a FG. Randel El had that bone head lateral that the Pats recovered early in the game.

HometownGal
11-20-2009, 04:08 PM

Yeah, but now we'll have more time to lick our chops in anticipation of playing the Cheats* in OUR HOUSE for a change. :yummy:

The Steelers and Saints should match up very well - I'll really look forward to that game too. :thumbsup:

43Hitman
11-20-2009, 04:13 PM
We played the Pats last at home in 05 and lost by a FG. Randel El had that bone head lateral that the Pats recovered early in the game.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that game..:doh:

43Hitman
11-20-2009, 04:16 PM
The Steelers and Saints should match up very well - I'll really look forward to that game too. :thumbsup:

Me too, that's gonna be a great game. Black and Gold vs. Black and Gold. :tt02: Brees is one of my favorite QB's. That guy can sling it, and get's hardly any recognition for it either.

Steelboy84
11-21-2009, 12:01 PM
I put 71 points on the Saints last night on Madden.

Ben had two TD passes (Hines, Santo), a rushing touchdown, Willie ran for 2 TDs, 160 yards, passing touchdown, Mendy got 2 rushing TDs with 115 yards on the ground.

I forced 7 turnovers. 5 picks (1 for TP43, Harrison-2, Farrior-2), 2 kickoff return fumbles, 7 total sacks. I racked up nearly 900 yards total offense.

I held Brees to 0 TDs and Bush to 50 yards on the ground. I kicked a** last night.