PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Play 'Guitar Hero' With Pittsburgh Area Soldiers In Iraq

mesaSteeler
11-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Steelers Play 'Guitar Hero' With Pittsburgh Area Soldiers In Iraq
(There is a video with this story see link. - mesa)
http://www.wpxi.com/news/21679260/detail.html

Posted: 4:48 pm EST November 20, 2009Updated: 5:39 pm EST November 20, 2009
PITTSBURGH -- Some Pittsburgh Steelers played “Guitar Hero” via a live Web feed with Pittsburgh area soldiers in Iraq Friday.

The “Pro Verses GI Joe” live video game competition featured the football players and troops from the Army’s 336th Military Police Company. Family members of about 10 troops were invited to watch the performance.

On the drums for the Steelers was Trai Essex. Working it on the guitars were Ben Roethlisberger and Darnell Stapleton, and on the microphone was Willie Colon.

“I like to think that I’m the one who makes it all go,” said Colon.

The players said they aren’t beginners. They’ve played together in Colon’s garage before.

“I’m the most coordinated of the group. All those colors and stuff – I’m the only one who can keep up with it,” said Essex when we asked him why he was the drummer.

Pro Verses GI Joe is a non-profit organization that sets up real-time video game competitions between professional athletes, musicians, celebrities, high-ranking military officials and politicians in the states and troops stationed overseas via the Internet using PlayStation, Xbox Live and/or Nintendo Wii.

The organization didn’t keep score Friday, so there was no clear cut winner. But, it was pretty funny watching the troops and Steelers give the music game a try. They weren’t the best musicians and singers, but it looked like they had a fun time.

We asked Roethlisberger, “Who is a better singer, you or Willie?” He laughed and said, “I am.” “Willie was in my ear. I’m going to have nightmares tonight,” said Roethlisberger.

The players said it was a special experience interacting with the troops.

“It’s fun because we know what they’re going through protecting us, and it just means a lot,” said Roethlisberger.

Other Steelers, including Hines Ward, Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall, were there to support their teammates and the troops.

Troy Polamalu was even there, dressed in a tree costume. Did you see the pictures? We're not sure why. We're guessing it had something to do with the troops and the importance of camouflage.

Copyright 2009 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(Nice to see the Steelers supporting the troops. - mesa :tt03::applaudit::hatsoff:)

stillers4me
11-21-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm grateful the guys decided to be atheletes instead of rock stars. They are awful! :chuckle:

jaygorius
11-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Troy Polamalu was even there, dressed in a tree costume. Did you see the pictures? We're not sure why. We're guessing it had something to do with the troops and the importance of camouflage.

:noidea::rofl:

markymarc
11-21-2009, 07:56 PM
It's great to see any NFL coach or player supporting our troops. I can't believe Kemo didn't make the final band cut :chuckle: