PDA

View Full Version : Game Scout - Steelers at Chiefs

mesaSteeler
11-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Game Scout
http://pit.scout.com/2/921898.html
By The Sports Xchange

Posted Nov 21, 2009

The time, place, TV channel, injuries and further breakdown on the Steelers' game Sunday in Kansas City:

Pittsburgh Steelers (6-3) at Kansas City Chiefs (2-7)

KICKOFF: Sunday, 1:00 ET

GAMEDATE: 11/22/09

SURFACE: Grass

TV: CBS (Ian Eagle, Rich Gannon)

PREDICTION: Steelers 34-17

KEYS TO THE GAME: The only way for the Chiefs to slow down Pittsburgh's offense is to generate pressure on QB Ben Roethlisberger similar to what Cincinnati accomplished last Sunday. Problem is, the Chiefs have just 12 sacks on the season. They don't defend the run or pass particularly well, so Roethlisberger and RB Rashard Mendenhall should combine to keep the defense off balance. RB Jamaal Charles showed flashes of potential last Sunday and will be instrumental in helping Kansas City control the tempo. The Chiefs lack the passing game to get locked in a shootout - especially minus suspended WR Dwayne Bowe - so Charles must be the lynchpin.

Need to know: Roethlisberger has been sacked 27 times and is on pace to exceed 45 for the fourth consecutive season. ... WR Chris Chambers has six catches for 130 yards and two touchdowns in two games with the Chiefs.

PERSONNEL NEWS

Steelers:

* SS Troy Polamalu and DE Travis Kirschke will not play Sunday. Polamalu has a sprained left PCL and Kirschke has a torn calf muscle.

* RB Willie Parker will get every third series on Sunday if things go according to plan, said Bruce Arians. The Steelers' offensive coordinator admitted that was the plan the past two games, when things did not work out for keeping the planned rotation for one reason or another.

* TE Heath Miller will be used more on passing plays vs. the Chiefs this Sunday. Arians said Miller was kept in to block more often vs. the Bengals and that is why he had only 26 yards receiving, on four catches.

* WR Limas Sweed will dress for his third straight game and has worked his way back into the coaches' favor after three straight weeks of strong practices, Arians noted.

Chiefs:

* Former Steelers OLB Mike Vrabel, RG Andy Alleman, and RB/RS Dantrell Savage are doubtful for the game. Vrabel suffered a left knee injury in last Sunday's game against Oakland. It would be the first time Vrabel has missed a game in six seasons. Alleman also has knee injury. Savage sprained his ankle against Oakland.

* OL Wade Smith has been working at right guard this week and is the likely replacement for Alleman. Smith has been very busy in the last month, filling in at various times at center, guard and tackle.

* OLB Andy Studebaker, the pride of Division III Wheaton College, will likely get the starting spot of the injured Vrabel.

markymarc
11-21-2009, 08:07 PM
I expect a big game from Heath tomorrow.

Steely McSmash
11-21-2009, 08:20 PM
RB Jamaal Charles showed flashes of potential last Sunday and will be instrumental in helping Kansas City control the tempo. The Chiefs lack the passing game to get locked in a shootout - especially minus suspended WR Dwayne Bowe - so Charles must be the lynchpin.

If you think you need to run to win then you won't be winning this week!:tt03:

Steelboy84
11-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I hope Sweed will finally start showing what he's made of on a CONSISTENT basis.

Galax Steeler
11-22-2009, 05:56 AM
I don't think we are going to have a problem shutting down the Chiefs offense. We should be able to keep pressure on Cassel. The only hope they have is if they can get Charles running the ball with with some positive yardage which I don't see a happening.

AllD
11-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't think we are going to have a problem shutting down the Chiefs offense. We should be able to keep pressure on Cassel. The only hope they have is if they can get Charles running the ball with with some positive yardage which I don't see a happening.

This question should only arise if the Chiefs indeed, had an offense. With no RB and their best WR OUT, all we need to do is score 21 points and the game is over.

markymarc
11-22-2009, 10:02 AM
There is no way the Chiefs are running on the Steelers defense. And since Todd Haley is the Chiefs head coach I would not be surprised to see him try to spread us out on defense.

tmacsteelerfan
11-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I agree they'll probably run a spread offense that we haven't seen that much in film, no way they're going to try to run the ball.