PDA

View Full Version : Steelers "Should " Have the #1 Rated Defense After the Chiefs...

SteelerEmpire
11-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Total Defensive Standings (YPG):

1. New York Giants 274.4
2. Pittsburgh Steelers 277.4
3. New York Jets 281.6
4. Green Bay Packers 282.3
5. Washington Redskins 288.3

The Giants play the Falcons this week and we play the Chiefs.... Seeing they only have us by 3 yards.... we have a chance to be at #1.... all other games being equal....

For whatever it may be worth.... it might help give the team a little motivational / mental boost...
:thumbsup:

Shellshock
11-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Does a defence still win championships?

devilsdancefloor
11-21-2009, 04:09 PM

ALWAYS

fansince'76
11-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I'd rather have the division lead.

GoSlash27
11-21-2009, 04:31 PM
I'd rather have the division lead.
I'd rather have yet another superbowl ring. :wink02:

Preacher
11-21-2009, 04:45 PM

ALWAYS

Not necessarily, pretty much EVER good playoff team has a pretty good defense. However, what you need is a very good offense to win championships. So think about it like this...

Defense puts you into the SB.
Offense wins the SB.

solardave
11-21-2009, 04:48 PM

I don't what about a defence but I'm pretty sure having a great defense helps.:wave:

tony hipchest
11-21-2009, 04:56 PM
the steelers are creditied for giving up 157 points on the year (currently that ranks them 6th with only the colts, bengals, patriots, broncos, & ravens better).

however those 157 points also include 7 tds NOT given up by our defense.

all other teams are giving up about 16 points a game (colts lead with 15.8). our DEFENSE is giving up 12.

thats better than last year and we are w/o polamalu and smith.

devilsdancefloor
11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Not necessarily, pretty much EVER good playoff team has a pretty good defense. However, what you need is a very good offense to win championships. So think about it like this...

Defense puts you into the SB.
Offense wins the SB.

I can see your point, but with out a defense like the giants had against the * they would have lost.

steelerchad
11-21-2009, 05:43 PM
The Giants are #1? Teams must be getting nothing running on them because I heard they were last in pass defense on NFL radio this week. We'll need to give up 30 less yards this week to overtake the Giants. 3 yards per game. Last year we were by far the best D. When you looked at yards per game, we were like 252 ypg. The second best was like 282. Then there were 10 teams bunched between 282 and 300 ypg.
That's a dominant defense. #1 by far. This years model is good and can be great. But last years was special.

Preacher
11-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I can see your point, but with out a defense like the giants had against the * they would have lost.

My point is, pretty much every team that is deep in the playoffs, has a great defense. So no, defense doesn't win championships. It only gets you to one. Offense wins them.

supa_fly_steeler
11-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Agreed, last years defence was something special not even giving up a 300 yard game, defence wins championships always, but so does offence, it's whichever you like more it's kinda rhetorical unless a defence goes through all the season and post season just getting points from safties,fumbles and interceptions.

Were just lucky we always have the best defence now :tt04:

We will probably finish #1, with the fins without there key wildcat guy there absolutley horrible, they just managed to scrape through a medium defence like carolina but when they face a good defence like the jets they only got about 100 yards, that's just embarrasing. (they were our biggest threat of gaining yardage due to that stupid gimmick imo)