PDA

View Full Version : Man gets life for scaring woman to death

Steelboy84
11-21-2009, 02:40 PM
The Associated Press ē November 21, 2009

CHARLOTTE, N.C. ó A man will spend the rest of his life in prison after he was found guilty in what prosecutors said was a case of scaring a 79-year-old North Carolina grandmother to death.

Multiple media outlets reported a federal jury found 21-year-old Larry Whitfield not guilty of murder Friday in the death of Mary Parnell last year. But they did find him guilty of causing her death by kidnapping her, and that carries an automatic life sentence.

Prosecutors say Whitfield was looking for somewhere to hide after a failed bank robbery attempt in Gastonia in September 2008 when he broke into Parnellís home.

Authorities say Whitfield never touched the grandmother, but she suffered a heart attack when she saw him, and he didnít call for help.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091121/NEWS03/91121004/1263/RSS

SteelersinCA
11-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Gotta love the felony-murder rule!

Galax Steeler
11-22-2009, 06:07 AM
I guess he shouldn't have been trying to rob a bank to begin with. I say he got what he deserved.

KeiselPower99
11-22-2009, 09:59 AM
So he goes to jail for scarring the old lady to death and nothing for the bank job?? WTF??

steelreserve
11-23-2009, 01:13 PM
So he goes to jail for scarring the old lady to death and nothing for the bank job?? WTF??

Well, if he's in prison for life, that kind of makes it a moot point, doesn't it?

Maybe they already sentenced him for the bank robbery, or maybe that was just rolled into the whole kidnapping trial. Or maybe they figured it wasn't worth spending a hundred grand trying that case separately if he was already going to be in prison. Who knows. At least that idiot got what was coming to him.

RunWillieRun
11-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Well, if he's in prison for life, that kind of makes it a moot point, doesn't it?

Maybe they already sentenced him for the bank robbery, or maybe that was just rolled into the whole kidnapping trial. Or maybe they figured it wasn't worth spending a hundred grand trying that case separately if he was already going to be in prison. Who knows. At least that idiot got what was coming to him.

Completely random point: I love the avatar.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.