PDA

View Full Version : Steelers set the wrong kind of a record

SteelersFever
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Makes me sick. :puke:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/22/steelers-set-the-wrong-kind-of-a-record/

So I was sitting down and plugging in the official PFT laptop in the room where the all-star NBC cast of characters assembles to watch the Sunday games, Jamaal Charles of the Chiefs was returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown on the Brady Bunch wall of nine television screens.

And then Kevin Hines of Elias Sports Bureau says that it's the eighth straight game that the Steelers have allowed a special-teams or defensive return for a touchdown.

It's an NFL record.

Hooray?

Chiefs lead, 7-0.

HughC
11-22-2009, 01:47 PM
This year's special teams play is giving me some nasty flashbacks to a certain AFCCG from a few years ago.

Christian Snyder
11-22-2009, 01:49 PM
This special teams is pathetic.... I try my best to be positive and not negative, but it's impossible when it comes to this ST.

Edman
11-22-2009, 01:51 PM
We allowed our return TD for the week. I was kind of expecting it, and I'm not surprised.

Bob Ligashesky just lost his job. He's not coming back after this year. For Tomlin's sake. The most repulsive special teams ever.

SMR
11-22-2009, 03:49 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!!

AllD
11-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Stripping all of the regular starters out of STs also cost the unit some talent. Maybe it's that attitude that STs is one step off the bench instead of an intergral part of a team is what's holding it back?

jjpro11
11-22-2009, 09:54 PM
we may have the worst special teams in history. seriously. they cannot go a game without letting up a TD or huge return.. they cannot block for the life of them. 9 out of 10 times on a punt return they let a gunner run completely free at Logan. when they actually do block, they do it illegally and get flagged. i am so tired of watching this garbage.

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2009, 11:35 PM
FIRE Bob Ligashesky TODAY!!!! Don't wait to the end of the season.

stb_steeler
11-22-2009, 11:54 PM
FIRE Bob Ligashesky TODAY!!!! Don't wait to the end of the season.

Some how i dont get the feeling that will happen. Not to much firing goin on in Pittsburgh.

eafratitpm3
11-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I bet Arnold Harrison was laughing his ass off watching that. Who will be the next scape goat?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 12:01 AM
I thought it was the record for fewest rushing TD's by a team. Oh well...........its all about fantasy stats, records and getting the best pick on draft day now huh?? :wink:

SteelerEmpire
11-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Yea.... it was a "low percentage" play like a KO/P return that tricked us off the last two games.... The score showed that it was a factor in kc and against Cincy

jjpro11
11-23-2009, 03:59 AM
I thought it was the record for fewest rushing TD's by a team. Oh well...........its all about fantasy stats, records and getting the best pick on draft day now huh?? :wink:

we're not talking stats any more.. the last 2 returns against us were each in games decided by less than 7 points. the special teams are costing us games and could wind up costing us the season. you don't give up 8 returns in a row, by turnover or ST and expect to go 7-1 or 8-0.. those cost you games. ST may not be the only reason we lost these games, but they are a major reason why.

Galax Steeler
11-23-2009, 05:10 AM
If it had not been for Mendenhall they would have returned another one for a touchdown.

jjpro11
11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
yeah, that was a hell of an effort by Mendy. i didn't realize he was that fast. i couldn't believe Holmes couldn't catch the defender and was actually losing ground as they sprinted on.

The_WARDen
11-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Clean house!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 11:13 AM
we're not talking stats any more.. the last 2 returns against us were each in games decided by less than 7 points. the special teams are costing us games and could wind up costing us the season. you don't give up 8 returns in a row, by turnover or ST and expect to go 7-1 or 8-0.. those cost you games. ST may not be the only reason we lost these games, but they are a major reason why.

Let's just face it. If you can't spot a 1-7 team 7 points and win.........you have other problems than just 1 play.

-Sure, the KO coverage is a glaring weakness, but the alleged "Best Defense in NFL" gave up 27 to the Chiefs. While the Steelers managed 24 against the #30 defense in the NFL.

-The Chefs only had 12 sacks on the season and we gave them 3 more.

Its like saying that inflation is mainly due to outrageously high prices at the convenience store. The problem is much larger.