PDA

View Full Version : This loss exemplifies our season

Raw Steel
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Take a look at the numbers. The domination of yardage, first downs.

But when it comes down to it, the "mistake" numbers, the Steelers are losers. Special teams is just a part of it. Look at the turnovers, penalties - the mental and fundamental parts of the game. And they are failing miserably.

This is a total team failure. When you are losing to teams you are significantly better than, you have deeper problems.

The season isn't over, but the division race is. They will have to play for the Wild Card now and really does anyone expect this team to compete for a Super Bowl?

And by the way, it is a team failure which also means it is Tomlin's failure right now.

It's too bad too with all that talent on this team.

Lick our wounds and get ready to go to Baltimore where the season could be on the line and we could be without our best player (Ben). Of course, the team has nobody to blame but themselves.

Very disappointing. Very frustrating. Very sad.

SteelerEmpire
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Could not have said it better myself.....

Gnutella
11-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Ben Roethlisberger is NOT an elite QB, and we should all do ourselves a favor and stop pretending that he is until he can play more than one game without committing a turnover. The only game this season -- the ONLY game -- in which he has not committed a turnover is against San Diego. That's it. Until he can learn how to take care of the goddamn football on a consistent basis, he's second-rate.

Steelboy84
11-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Ben Roethlisberger is NOT an elite QB, and we should all do ourselves a favor and stop pretending that he is until he can play more than one game without committing a turnover. The only game this season -- the ONLY game -- in which he has not committed a turnover is against San Diego. That's it. Until he can learn how to take care of the goddamn football on a consistent basis, he's second-rate.

Yea, 19 career game winning drives and 2 SB rings mean absolutely nothing.

Kahle66
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Yes he made some mistakes, but he did some good things too. You have to stick with your QB when hes doing good (3 TD's) and when hes doing bad (2 Picks).

Raw Steel
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM

That's pretty much crap. All QBs turn the ball over and in Ben's defense, many of his INTs have been right in people's hands i.e. Heath Miller today.

SteelCityMom
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
The season isn't over, but the division race is. They will have to play for the Wild Card now and really does anyone expect this team to compete for a Super Bowl

I don't know...did you expect the '05 team (with the worse record at this point in the season) to be a SB contender? :noidea:

Just sayin'. I know things look bleak and crappy right now, but there's still 6 weeks to go.

We also can't be delusional and expect the SB every year. We're not the Pats and we don't carry cameras around. S#$& happens.

Shoes
11-22-2009, 03:44 PM
<snip>
he's second-rate.

.......and so is your comment !

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/fnglqnwjvp--Toilet-FlushCool-Sounds-

Jaquila
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
so true.

what this team needs to do is take a moment and wonder about wheter or not they want this, cause to me. thats the only thing missing, but it is also the most important thing to have

steelbad@50
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Yea, 19 career game winning drives and 2 SB rings mean absolutely nothing.So what you are saying is Big Ben is an elite QB. I like our qb but he is not up there with Manning, Brady, or Brees. But at the same time that doent mean he wont be. Only time will tell.

SteelerEmpire
Well, were quickly becoming a team to laugh and poke fun at ..... that is supposed to be the Cowboys title....(laughing stocks).....

Raw Steel
I don't know...did you expect the '05 team (with the worse record at this point in the season) to be a SB contender? :noidea:

Just sayin'. I know things look bleak and crappy right now, but there's still 6 weeks to go.

We also can't be delusional and expect the SB every year. We're not the Pats and we don't carry cameras around. S#$& happens.

They can turn it around. That why I said this Steelers team can't. The one red flag I will refer to is this isn't a problem the last two games. This has been a problem the whole season. Look at some of the wins: very similar circumstances where we dominate and can't put teams away. That's worrisome.

Kahle66
11-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Exactly. Yes it sucks that we lost, expecially last week to the bengals (I go to school at Dayton so i have to hear it all week) but we have won the Super Bowl 6 times! Alot of fans havent even been able to watch their team in the playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl! Be happy your team gives you a reason that you can actually be mad instead of it being routine that they suck

devilsdancefloor
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Are you suffering from a head injury?

srk173
11-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I swear if Tomlin says we played a really good team this week i'm gonna freak out!

tmacsteelerfan
11-22-2009, 03:53 PM
We need to step it up, Hopefully Roethlisberger gets better and gives a heroic Tim Tebow speech to get our team to start playing the way they're capable of like we did versus San Diego and Denver. Its also not like we didn't win the Super Bowl in 2005 with a wild card position and last year we had 4 loses, as long as we step up are last six games and hopefully the Bungals choke up a little we'll be fine. Plus we missed Polamalu today and the commentator clearly stated his importance, 8 turnovers with him and only 4 without, not to mention we lost Ben the last drive and I know for sure we're not running the ball on 3rd and 2 with him in the game.

Rick5895
11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Ben is a very good QB, I am glad we have him, he does turn the ball over but all QB's do. Bradshaw in one of the super bowl years (78 or 79) threw 26 pics. I am not so concerned with that as much as the times they get thrown, the only knock on Ben I have is he throws too many pics in the red zone. That happens.
The problems that plague this team is hit right on the mark by Raw Steel. This team makes too many mental mistakes in critical situations, and I include players and coaches, the play calling must improve, the stupid penalties must stop and to be honest, they must get back to fundamentally sound football. The world isn't coming to an end and we can still finish 12-4 but the coaches and players need to pay attention to the details.

SteelCityMom
11-22-2009, 03:57 PM
They can turn it around. That why I said this Steelers team can't. The one red flag I will refer to is this isn't a problem the last two games. This has been a problem the whole season. Look at some of the wins: very similar circumstances where we dominate and can't put teams away. That's worrisome.

Yeah, it's worrisome. Sure. But I'm not counting them out of the playoff race till it's all said and done with.

And there's plenty of history to show in all sports that teams that dominate in the regular season don't always show up the same way in the post season, and vice versa. I'm content to let it just play out.

SteelCityMom
11-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Exactly. Yes it sucks that we lost, expecially last week to the bengals (I go to school at Dayton so i have to hear it all week) but we have won the Super Bowl 6 times! Alot of fans havent even been able to watch their team in the playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl! Be happy your team gives you a reason that you can actually be mad instead of it being routine that they suck

:drink:

VegasStlrFan
11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
you guys are F***ing amazing, 4 losses by a total of 15 points and were the laughing stock of the NFL? really, are you serious? step off the bandwagon now.

Edman
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
This team is talented, but we just can't get out of our own way to win. Special Teams Gaffes. Turnovers. Poor focus on fundamentals. The 2008 Steelers were far from the most impressive team on the field, and they won ugly a lot against a lot of good teams. The 2009 Steelers lose pretty against inferior teams. Even if this team were half competent in the mistake line, we'd be 8-2 at worst. Instead we're 6-4 heading into a desperate Baltimore team on the edge without our best player.

All four losses were winnable games, against winnable teams. If it weren't for Ben saving the day against San Diego, we'd be 5-5. Because the D flubbled that game too.

One could argue that the season isn't over, and it isn't, But this team is a less painful version of 2006. I don't even count on beating Baltimore next week if Ben is hurt.

msafford
11-22-2009, 04:33 PM
well....if it's any consolation, the f*cking Raiders are making it a game against the Bengals.

steelbad@50
11-22-2009, 04:42 PM
you guys are F***ing amazing, 4 losses by a total of 15 points and were the laughing stock of the NFL? really, are you serious? step off the bandwagon now.I'm sure you can understand that most Steeler fans love to vent in the event of any loss. Its just what we do. Most of them are true Steeler fans or why would they waste there time coming to this forum. No one is jumping off the bandwagon.:tt04:

Vincent
11-22-2009, 05:17 PM
And by the way, it is a team failure which also means it is Tomlin's failure right now.

Indeed it does exemplify 3 of the 4 losses. Dominant performances allowed to slip away. Fatal "special" teams lapses. These are trends that have not been corrected. That goes to the HC.

It's too bad too with all that talent on this team.

We have the talent and did have the opportunities to repeat. What I see at this point is less than a championship team. They could rebound, you never know. But they are starting to look like the 98 Steelers.

Of course, the team has nobody to blame but themselves.

This is by no means an excuse. The Champs get every opponent's A game. well except for the stains. We are every other team's Super Bowl. It is extremely difficult to repeat.

AllD
11-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Fortunately I did not watch the game because I was spending time out of town with family, but a loss is a loss. However, this one removes any margin for error during the rest of the season. The team has to win out in order to be taken as a serious playoff contender, or they will be considered pretenders.

We are everybody's Super Bowl this season with all their hype at our expense. We all know this team has tons of talent and just a few weaknesses, but it seems this team is just not playing with intensity or the will to win.

Something unexplained is going on with the offense. Very little cerebral play calling and taking the defense for granted. Since the best player in the NFL has a bad PCL, the D cannot bail the O out of every situation. No healthy superhuman play maker to compliment #92.

Don't get me started on STs which were supoosed to be going into the season as setting the standard instead of looking bush league.