PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and 2...

California-Steel
11-22-2009, 04:36 PM
OK I know we sucked that entire game but come on. 3rd and 2, your personnel is Moore in the backfield. So you call a 2 yard deep pitch to your slowest of your 3 running back. Who called that crap? Why would you call a pitch making your 2 yards become 4 yards? Also why would you call that play with that personnel? Genius!!!!

Sharkissle29
11-22-2009, 04:39 PM
come on its not the play call, its execution...we all know taht

HughC
11-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I know it sounds like 20-20 hindsight, but I would have rather seen two runs between the tackles. If you don't make it on 3rd down, try it again on 4th down.

X-Terminator
11-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I didn't like that call, and I still don't. If you're going to run a toss sweep, at least let a faster back (Mendenhall) run it. You don't run it with Moore. Just a bad, bad decision.

supa_fly_steeler
11-22-2009, 05:16 PM
come on its not the play call, its execution...we all know taht

but it is also scientific.

put parker there and some people simply can't catch him, not saying he would of made it but those plays benefit willie alot more than mewelde, we should of even tried mike wallace on that play.

devilsdancefloor
11-22-2009, 05:17 PM
when it started out i thought it was gonna be a HB pass, but i agree bad call, but i think everyone would be saying it was a great play if he got the first down. I also think the call would have been different if ben was in.

Edman
11-22-2009, 05:17 PM
It's not the playcall, it's the player as many on here will say. Arians has done an okay job in the PC'ing. Now he has a brainfart.

It doesn't matter though. We lost. Again.

Steel_12
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Just a terrible play call. That play put us out of FG range. We were productive up the middle all game...still can't believe it!

steelerjim58
11-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree that it was a terrible call, but lets be honest, the biggest difference between a bad call and a great one is if it works. But for me I'm with most of you that you run that play with Mendenhall not Moore.

Christian Snyder
11-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I really think they should've ran it up the middle to try to get Reed in better FG postion. :noidea: JMO, though.

MillerMania83
11-22-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree, TERRIBLE play call...I've said it before and I'll say it again (and I'm sure some will not like/agree with this) but I CAN'T STAND Ariansplay calling, I just can't, as it seems every week there are plays called where we just sit at home and say WTH was that....The guy is just pass pass pass happy, even when it seems our running game is coming around and getting better....Even on the play where Ben got picked before half (even though it looked like he got hit while throwin' it), it's like we get down to around the 10, it's first down, Mendy and Willie are going decent/good today, RUN THE DAMN BALL a couple of plays down there to see if we can bust it in....But NOPE, it's 1st and goal and it's PASS PASS PASS, I just don't get it, and like I said, it seems like it is every week anymore where there are plays that just don't make sense or plays that could be called with a little more "thought" behind them, as always, JMO.

tyler289
11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
They were running it up the middle all day long for 3-4 yards. You pick then to call a sweep?

AllD
11-22-2009, 06:37 PM
With Moore back there a halfback option would have been the play to call instead of something so PREDICTABLE.

groundhogday
11-22-2009, 06:53 PM
My favorite was after Batch completes the pass to Ward, we line up on 1st and 10 with an empty back field. Pass to Mendenhall incomplete but had the defender been looking it would have been a pick 6. We then run it with Mendenhall for 8 and take him out of the game for the critical aforementioned 3rd and 2. The rest is histoy.

On another note, I am so sick of the 5 wide on 1st and 10. Specifically in in the red zone from your own 10. Gee...what are they going to do here.

Very bad indeed.

Michael Keller
11-22-2009, 06:55 PM
What does it take for you guys to understand that Bruce Arians is so bad. I am astounded that the average fan can not comprhend the evidence piled up from certainly the playoff loss against Jacksonville two seasons ago. The Super Bowl achievment saved his job last year now it remains to be seen if Tomlin has the intelligence and the fortitude to bring in a new OC. If you don"t think a compentent OC is significant just ask Billy Stull . Speculation has it that a certain Notre Dame coach maybe looking for an Offensive Cordinator's job. The Steelers and their incredible fans deserve better than the blatant incompentency of Arians. .

d2609j
11-22-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree it was a horrible call, but to me it appeared as though Charlie Batch made an audible on the play. They were set up in shot gun, he moved Miller and Moore over and got under center. I thought he was going to snap it and just follow the center up the middle.

cubanstogie
11-22-2009, 07:05 PM
The fact that we have to talk about one play is pathetic. I agree it was a horrible call. I like a roll out to the right with Batch and throw it short or Charlie takes off. We need a play with options. Not pitch to our 3rd down back and give them huge momentum. With that said the fact that KC took us to OT and we were in that predicament speaks volumes. Our special teams is responsible for at least 2 losses. I didn't see the drive after halftime so Its hard to criticize but an interception is unacceptable in that situation. Huge momentum shift. Hard to believe we will sweep the Ravens. 10-6 might get us into a wildcard. I am nauseous, like most of you. Back to the 3rd and 2, even if we run it up the gut we don't lose yards and could have went for it on 4th and short. Giving them the ball at home after we won the toss ins inexcusable.

cubanstogie
11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
What does it take for you guys to understand that Bruce Arians is so bad. I am astounded that the average fan can not comprhend the evidence piled up from certainly the playoff loss against Jacksonville two seasons ago. The Super Bowl achievment saved his job last year now it remains to be seen if Tomlin has the intelligence and the fortitude to bring in a new OC. If you don"t think a compentent OC is significant just ask Billy Stull . Speculation has it that a certain Notre Dame coach maybe looking for an Offensive Cordinator's job. The Steelers and their incredible fans deserve better than the blatant incompentency of Arians. .

There is plenty of blame for the loss. Bens pics when we are in lead, another special teams blunder, and big plays given up to a weak team.

California-Steel
11-22-2009, 09:49 PM
...Mendenhall nickname is 'hold the rock dumbass' . Someone show me the proof he has more speed than WillieHe passed Holmes on the pick to track down the KC linebacker. That was eye opening to me. Did not know he had that kind of speed. Holmes was making up no ground and let a blocker pass him to block him but Mendy out ran them all with ease.

Why do you give the ball back to KC in the first place? Why not go for it or attempt the FG? You are away in KC and you give them the ball back when you know they have momentum. Enough blame for everyone to get 2 pieces today.

xbroughneck
11-22-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm not a fan of Arians, but I thought the play calling today was pretty good.

The play in question though, was horrible (as was the play two plays before that which resulted in an incomplete pass).

BUT...

Didn't anyone else think that Charlie audibled out of the intended play and switch to the sweep play? If so, we can't blame Arians for that.

psusteelers4life
11-22-2009, 11:03 PM
I said the same thing in a different thread I to thought I saw Batch audible cause he saw a blitz comming and thought he could burn them with a sweep

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2009, 11:24 PM
IMO the call was horrible. Mende is built for pounding out the short yardage not MM. This was one of many horrible calls. Thank god everyone else in the North lost today.

KeiselPower99
11-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I cussed the tv when I say the play. Maybe a stretch play was worth calling there but not a damn toss sweep.

eafratitpm3
11-23-2009, 12:07 AM
The fact that we have to talk about one play is pathetic. I agree it was a horrible call. I like a roll out to the right with Batch and throw it short or Charlie takes off. We need a play with options. Not pitch to our 3rd down back and give them huge momentum. With that said the fact that KC took us to OT and we were in that predicament speaks volumes. Our special teams is responsible for at least 2 losses. I didn't see the drive after halftime so Its hard to criticize but an interception is unacceptable in that situation. Huge momentum shift. Hard to believe we will sweep the Ravens. 10-6 might get us into a wildcard. I am nauseous, like most of you. Back to the 3rd and 2, even if we run it up the gut we don't lose yards and could have went for it on 4th and short. Giving them the ball at home after we won the toss ins inexcusable.

Great post. I said this before we went to OT. Nothing against KC but if you let a team that is 2-7 take you to OT without their #1 WR and just traded their starting back away a week before you don't deserve to win. This game was lost on Turnover's and ST's AGAIN!!!!!

Galax Steeler
11-23-2009, 05:21 AM
I did not like the play call either but on the other hand if it would have worked then it would have been a good play call. So damned if you do and damned if you don't.:noidea:

revefsreleets
11-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm just going to cut and paste this in every one of the 4,876 threads that either myopically bash one coach, or try to blame the entire loss on one play.

We ran the ball 30 times. Mendy 21, Parker 6, Wallace 1, and Moore twice.

It's not like we abandoned the run entirely.

And for the same old people with the same old tired arguments, please, please, PLEASE stop!

You want the no-huddle? OK...but how much do you think we are going to actually run out of that?

And you want more running? Why didn't Ben audible more often to the run? It's his offense. He has input. He's able to look over the defense and adjust his call at the LOS.

The blocking was sub-par two weeks in a row. Ben held the ball a little long a few times again. Ben's 2 INT's were bad, and the second one KILLED us. The defense gave up several HUGE long plays, something they almost never do.

Yes, Arians made some bad calls. He definitely had a few situations where i think we should have run the ball. But that is NOT what lost the game. We lost because:

A) Another ST TD
B) INT #1. We were at mid-field, they picked off the pass and 7 plays later they score on a 21 yard TD pass.
C) INT #2. We were at LEAST going to score 3, and instead Ben is hit as he throws, they return it 94 yards and score a FG. 6 point swing.
D) 2 plays in the 3rd, back to back, 30 yard completion followed by a 47 yard completion, TD results at the end of that drive.

7 points form the ST
TO results in 7 points
TO results in 6 point swing
2 HUGE pass plays results in a TD

24 points

steelerjim58
11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
What has always driven me nuts is that we never seem to bring the kitchen sink blitz. I know lebeau has the bend but don't break philosophy, but sometimes I think you have to challenge your corners to hold up and bring the heat on the qb.