PDA

View Full Version : A Healthy Perspective on the Chiefs loss!!!!

moedap
11-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I am disappointed as I am sure many Steeler fanatics are at this present time. A loss hurts and even more when its to the lowly Chiefs(who have been playing tough all year). Especially when it comes off of a loss to the Bungles the previous week. I wanted to think the defending Superbowl champions would be able to handle the Chiefs rather easily but such was not the case. And that should not have been the case for 3 reasons.

First, our Steelers are not a dominating team. They have not been a dominating team since the 70's. No team has been a dominating team since the 90's Cowboys(New England gets an asterisk just because they had inside information on opponents and still squeaked out wins). Last year we got a lot of the lucky bounces to pull out games we should have lost. The 2005 SB win was due to being in a groove at the right time.

Second, Our Steelers are the defending SB champs and just because we have lost some games doesnt mean the teams down the pipe are going to treat the game like they are playing the Browns. We are going to get every teams 110% effort.

Third, Our defense is banged up and new all at the same time. William Gay, Kerayon Fox, Ziggy Hood, Nick Eason and Timmons are all green players when it comes to Dick L's defense. Smith, Troy P, Travis K. all out hurt. Our offense is still relatively young(especially our line).

With all that said we are still in a good position to get a wild card berth and are still in the picture for the AFC North title(although a Cincy win probably makes that a long shot). This loss hurts but when I take off the lenses that make me see my Steelers as invincible it only hurts a little.

Steelboy84
11-22-2009, 05:17 PM
"Last year we got a lot of the lucky bounces to pull out games we should have lost. The 2005 SB win was due to being in a groove at the right time."

Its almost as if you're finding reasons that our wins weren't "legit" or something.

AllD
11-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Instead of getting better and more consistant, this team is jekyll and hyde rarely even getting up for big games.

moedap
11-23-2009, 07:32 AM
"Last year we got a lot of the lucky bounces to pull out games we should have lost. The 2005 SB win was due to being in a groove at the right time."

Its almost as if you're finding reasons that our wins weren't "legit" or something.

Just calling it as I saw it last year and 2005. Nothing in that sentence says the wins were'nt legit. The New England Patriots are the only team out there with illegitimate
wins.

plenewken
11-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I am disappointed as I am sure many Steeler fanatics are at this present time. A loss hurts and even more when its to the lowly Chiefs(who have been playing tough all year). Especially when it comes off of a loss to the Bungles the previous week. I wanted to think the defending Superbowl champions would be able to handle the Chiefs rather easily but such was not the case. And that should not have been the case for 3 reasons.

First, our Steelers are not a dominating team. They have not been a dominating team since the 70's. No team has been a dominating team since the 90's Cowboys(New England gets an asterisk just because they had inside information on opponents and still squeaked out wins). Last year we got a lot of the lucky bounces to pull out games we should have lost. The 2005 SB win was due to being in a groove at the right time.

Second, Our Steelers are the defending SB champs and just because we have lost some games doesnt mean the teams down the pipe are going to treat the game like they are playing the Browns. We are going to get every teams 110% effort.

Third, Our defense is banged up and new all at the same time. William Gay, Kerayon Fox, Ziggy Hood, Nick Eason and Timmons are all green players when it comes to Dick L's defense. Smith, Troy P, Travis K. all out hurt. Our offense is still relatively young(especially our line).

With all that said we are still in a good position to get a wild card berth and are still in the picture for the AFC North title(although a Cincy win probably makes that a long shot). This loss hurts but when I take off the lenses that make me see my Steelers as invincible it only hurts a little.

Based on what I saw during the last 2 games, I think the game against Baltimore next Sunday will be another tough moment for the Steelers. I can't realistically be optimistic about the outcome next weekend, unless dramatic changes happen.

Vincent
11-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Last year we got a lot of the lucky bounces to pull out games we should have lost. The 2005 SB win was due to being in a groove at the right time.

Bullseye!!!

We have and have had the talent to dominate. That is evidenced in the domination of several teams for periods this year. As I said in another thread, the difference between the two recent administrations and Noll's is coaching. Period. This team has every bit of the talent of the 70s Steelers. And with the exception of a franchise QB, so did Cowher's teams.

Based on what I saw during the last 2 games, I think the game against Baltimore next Sunday will be another tough moment for the Steelers. I can't realistically be optimistic about the outcome next weekend, unless dramatic changes happen.

Think the rats will "show up" next week? After what happened to them last year? Hmmmmm. Prolly.

fansince'76
11-23-2009, 09:12 AM
As I said in another thread, the difference between the two recent administrations and Noll's is coaching. Period.

If that's the case, would you mind explaining the mediocrity this team was mired in throughout the 1980s?

Vincent
11-23-2009, 09:17 AM
If that's the case, would you mind explaining the mediocrity this team was mired in throughout the 1980s?

Easy. Little talent. That, and Chuck lost interest.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Easy. Little talent. That, and Chuck lost interest.

Yeah, I guess these guys had nothing to do with it. Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Bubby Brister. You can make lemonade from lemons.........but not from crap.

fansince'76
11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I guess these guys had nothing to do with it. Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Bubby Brister. You can make lemonade from lemons.........but not from crap.

Nonsense! It's all coaching and playcalling!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 10:26 AM

Yeah, Chuck lost interest. :rofl:

Vince Lombardi could not make a team a SB contender with Bubby Brister at the helm.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-23-2009, 10:40 AM
I honestly dont mind constructive criticism in regards to the Steelers. Personally I lay the blame on

1) Lack of discipline: regularly on special team assignments and often on the front line.
2) Injuries: Reardless of how good our defense is, it is VERY hard to game plan against a team when you are minus Troy & Aaron.
3) FO failure to put the correct emphasis on the importance of special teams. Traditionally we have failed to fully appreciate the contributions of players like Sean Morey..Chidi Iwuoma ...and Anthony Madison.

Understanding those three things helps us put the losses in the proper perspective.

That being said...If people on this board want me (or anyone) to take your gripes seriously...be CONSTRUCTIVE in the criticism and know the difference between a F***king safety and a linebacker. :banging:

'nuff said

madtowndrunkard
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM

So are you saying Ben is Bubby Brister? Are we not talented enough? If the talent is there then don't you pretty much have to look at the coaching?

The issues we had in the 80's had alot to do w/ lack of talent. I'm sure the coaching staff had a hard time dealing with the decline in talent from the 70's to the 80's. We did not have good QB's and that will kill you.

I also think opponents figured out how to neutralize a lot of what we did. I also think the OC and DC at the time did not adjust like they should have. That ultimately falls on the Great Coach Noll. It was his time to hang it up IMO.

So those who argue that the issues we have now are on the players then the only thing you can conclude is our players are not good enough. If our players are not good enough the first player you have to look at is the QB. Are people suggesting Ben isn't good enough? Do we have good enough WR's? Our O-line gets plenty of criticism, do they suck? The RB's suck?

Sorry but I don't buy that for a minute. IMO we've got one of the most talented teams in the league. If the team is under performing, then yea you definitely can look at the coaching.

That is were the line is drawn. If your players are good enough - then the coaching must not be getting it done. If the players suck, there is nothing the coaches can do. A good coach can cover up poor talent to an extent....I think Bill Cowher did it better then anyone. Are there signs that the coaching is failing the team? I'd say Yes, very much so. Lack of focus, bad play calling, and undisciplined ST's tells me the coaching is not getting it done. We have good players. I'd stack our talent up to anyone in this league.

fansince'76
11-23-2009, 11:21 AM
So are you saying Ben is Bubby Brister? Are we not talented enough? If the talent is there then don't you pretty much have to look at the coaching?

No, I'm saying you can't absolve the players and simply place the entire blame on the coaching for that mess yesterday, particularly when the players have the talent to presumably kick a team like KC's ass up and down the field and have a 30-point spread by halftime, regardless of the playcalling.

Hayeksheroes
11-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Teams peak at different times. The Steelers may have peaked in Denver. I don't know if they can get their groove back due to injuries and fatigue. Did the Steelers looked tired in OT?

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I personally blame the coaching right now... the players are certainly at fault as well, but I'm just getting a little tired of people trying to absolve the coaches - particularly Tomlin - of any blame after a loss.

I don't think that he's a bad coach. But I think he has a serious problem addressing issues that NEED to be fixed. And I think it's due to a mix of arrogance and maybe some ineptitude. Granted, there are other coaches on the team that are accountable, but he's the HEAD coach. He's the one who need to make sure that these issues are fixed. I think that his first two seasons, the Steelers were so successful in the grand scheme of things that it overshadowed key issues.

First of all, I know there's a 3 second rule with QBs, and Ben likes to take a bit longer than that. I also know that Ben makes some unusual moves that make it hard to block for him. My problem is that the O-Line couldn't adjust to that last year, or the year before. They looked better in the playoffs, but by the time the season opener rolled around, they were back to their old selves. Things did improve a bit, but lately its back to Ben ducking guys and running for his life.

The O-Line NEEDS to be able to adjust to the QB because he's the one that's going to make the play. They also need to adjust to the RB's ability to make runs. They haven't been so hot in that area lately either.

Then there are losses like yesterday, to bad teams. Granted, we didn't have any last season. But what about 07? We lost to the Jets. We nearly lost to Miami (and yeah, it was largely due to the conditions on the field, but when you beat a 1-15 team by a score of 3-0, it really makes you look bad).

BlastFurnace
11-23-2009, 01:27 PM

No. He's right. We had a great team last year, but also a team that won games that very easily could have gone either way:

Jacksonville
Baltimore (Twice)
Dallas
San Diego

That team played with confidence..and with Troy. This years team does not.