PDA

View Full Version : So what's changed between Denver and Kansas City?

toughsticks87
11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm confused. What happened to the team I watched at Denver? I feel as if the passion is gone. But I've been thinking about it, and I can't really pinpoint what went wrong (aside from special teams.) What do you guys think?

groundhogday
11-22-2009, 09:28 PM
We stopped being a balanced team and went all pass, pass, pass. While Ben makes exceptional plays and everyone puts up fantasy numbers, a lot of bad things can happen when you pass too much ie. turnovers in th red zone.

psusteelers4life
11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
You can even see a kind of lost look in Hines eyes, a look like what the hell is going on with us. I hope this team doesnt start having the quick sand effect the harder and harder you fight the further you sink. Its hard to pinpoint what all is wrong other than the obvious ST problem.

tony hipchest
11-22-2009, 09:33 PM
mendenhalls rushing yards and attempts have been cut in half.

bens passing attempts have gone up 50%.

why? i dont know.

but atleast now ben is back to 2nd in passing yardage to peyton manning. even if we miss the playoffs he has an outside shot at passing for 4500+ yds and making the pro bowl! :rolleyes:

:yawn:

MACH1
11-22-2009, 10:08 PM
At least we won the time of possession today. :popcorn:

CaliStillersFan
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
It was a total team lose today. Defense let Cassel have his way with them in the second half, special teams sucked as they have all year, the o-line was horrible, and Ben's INT's didn't help. They better get it together or else this is going to turn into a reverse 2006 season.

Steelers>NFL
11-23-2009, 06:51 AM
The final score - Win & Loss.

The_WARDen
11-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Troy hasn't played except for a cameo in the Bungle game.

HometownGal
11-23-2009, 07:31 AM
We stopped being a balanced team and went all pass, pass, pass. While Ben makes exceptional plays and everyone puts up fantasy numbers, a lot of bad things can happen when you pass too much ie. turnovers in th red zone.

Look at some of the top teams in the league - most of them go with the pass far more often than the run. Unfortunately, the NFL as a whole has become pretty much pass happy. While I agree that Mendy should be utilized more than he is, particularly in the red zone, we have a smart and very talented QB who can make the big plays and has not 2, not 3 - but 4 very viable targets.

UF-Steeler
11-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Look at some of the top teams in the league - most of them go with the pass far more often than the run. Unfortunately, the NFL as a whole has become pretty much pass happy. While I agree that Mendy should be utilized more than he is, particularly in the red zone, we have a smart and very talented QB who can make the big plays and has not 2, not 3 - but 4 very viable targets.

Just because the rest of the league is doing it doesn't mean that it is necessary for us to do. I love Big Ben and I constantly argue that he is one of the better quarterbacks in the league, but it's obvious that throwing this much isn't his game. Some of the decisions he makes are not the best and result in lost points in the red zone or the team running it in for 6. If it wasn't for Mendy running down the field yesterday we would've lost that game in regulation.

I'm by no means saying it was Ben's fault, but in my opinion I don't think throwing that many times a game is really beneficial to the Steelers (considering we have an older defense and teams that win, control the clock majority of the time.) The team needs to get a fire under them again, maybe this loss will get them motivated.

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Arrogance.

Too many days off reading press clippings.

Tomlin let this bunch get the swolled heads - they think they can just walk on the field and win.

Texasteel
11-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Arrogance.

Too many days off reading press clippings.

Tomlin let this bunch get the swolled heads - they think they can just walk on the field and win.

I hope that is the problem. If it is their frickin heads have been shrunk down to size of a walnut after yesterday.

Vincent
11-23-2009, 08:22 AM
what's wrong with the team? they have no killer instinct, and they play sloppy and inconsistent. ben hasn't looked like the leader he did when we were winning, he's on the sideline looking miserable instead of looking like he is going to win us the game

but ben wasn't terrible this week, just he didn't seem to be into the game and focused on putting the chiefs away, for the 2nd week in a row.

Not laying all of this at Ben's feet, BUT... He's been really sloppy. Wild throws, Not seeing wide open guys. Stupid decisions. It was a remarkable contrast to see Charley throw his one perfect pass.

plenewken
11-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Not laying all of this at Ben's feet, BUT... He's been really sloppy. Wild throws, Not seeing wide open guys. Stupid decisions. It was a remarkable contrast to see Charley throw his one perfect pass.

I wouldn't say stupid decisions but I wonder about Ben's commitment this year. Besides his off-field issue, I wonder why he put on so much weight this year. How can he be as fast, agile and mobile as he was when he weighted 20 lbs less.

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Don't believe any of that crap about Troy not making a difference either.

This defense is giving up 23 pts a game with him out - 13.8 with him playing

SteelerEmpire
11-23-2009, 09:42 AM
They need to look at the "templates" of what has worked in the past for this particular team..... don't try and reinvent the wheel as we only have 6 games left in regular play and their is not enough time. WE'VE GOTTEN FROM WHAT WORKS.... TO WHAT DOES NOT WORK.... so its very simple.... go back to what works for "this" team.
As far as the motivation factor is concerned.... a wise man once said that, "the easiest job that God gave us is the ability to change our thoughts.... because its doesn't cost any money, you don't break a sweat to do it, and it will calm your spirit once the right decision is found".
The "only " thing keeping us from a 10-0 record is a philosophy that these guys can play by.... because no team can "out physical" us.
All we have to do is make the plays that are called ....and have the "will" to give the extra effort to make that (execute the plays) happen....

Edman
11-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Everything. Special Teams has always sucked, but the Offense lost it's balanced identity. Arians and Ben got big headed and decided to play "Let's chase Peyton Manning" instead of "Let's chase the win". And pass, pass, pass downfield every play. As for the Defense, what the hell was that? Being without Troy was worse than we thought. As we let nobodies run free in the secondary.

I don't care about Tyrone's heart or whatever, but the guy is a mediocre safety and nothing more. Notice how when he has his good games, it because Troy is in there. But not once has this guy held his ground well without Troy.

The Monday after the Denver game, the Steelers were getting all kinds of asskissing in the media. It was nice and all, but in the back of my mind I was worried. Looks like the players were watching and let it go to their head, unaware of the fact that there's still half a season left to play.

A week later the Steelers gingerly saunter into Heinz Field and let the Bengals push them around. The week afterwards they let a piss-poor Chiefs team push them around.

This team has lost focus.

madtowndrunkard
11-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Well first of all Denver is a really bad team. We thought they were good, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Secondly and most importantly the play calling has taken any toughness away from the offense. We no longer put together long back breaking drives. We either score quick or we're three and out. That's a product of a pass happy / one dimensional offense.

In reality the problem has been there all year. The ST's issues have been there all year. You can't ask Ben to carry the entire offense....it leads to mistakes. You can't ask our O-line to protect a QB who likes to hang on to the ball every single down. How can you ask any O-line to succeed when the opponent can just pin their ears back and go after your QB?

The offensive play calling is begging for mistakes to happen. The special teams play pretty much seals the deal. Our defense is good enough to cover up some offensive issues. Our offense can get away with a mistake here and there. But when the ST's unit is giving up points and giving the opponents short fields every quarter - it's a recipe for disaster.

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Every game has it's moments - I don't see anyone calling out Wallace for that boneheaded fumble that killed a drive.

Up 17-7 the offense was doing it's job.

Turnovers and giving up big plays on ST will kill you.

MasterOfPuppets
11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Just because the rest of the league is doing it doesn't mean that it is necessary for us to do. I love Big Ben and I constantly argue that he is one of the better quarterbacks in the league, but it's obvious that throwing this much isn't his game. Some of the decisions he makes are not the best and result in lost points in the red zone or the team running it in for 6. If it wasn't for Mendy running down the field yesterday we would've lost that game in regulation.

I'm by no means saying it was Ben's fault, but in my opinion I don't think throwing that many times a game is really beneficial to the Steelers (considering we have an older defense and teams that win, control the clock majority of the time.) The team needs to get a fire under them again, maybe this loss will get them motivated.
oh give me an f'n break.... peyton manning has thrown 2 picks in each of his last two games so i guess passing isn't his game either....:doh:
people here say the dumbest shit...:coffee:

fansince'76
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
oh give me an f'n break.... peyton manning has thrown 2 picks in each of his last two games so i guess passing isn't his game either....:doh:

You have to remember who we're talking about here - Manning has thrown 6 picks in one game and had it referred to as a "heroic performance" afterwards (two years ago in a loss to San Diego). After all, he's Peyton Manning! You know, the guy who is 7-8 in the postseason for his career and can't play in the elements? Yeah, that guy.

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, a lot of the "elite" or pro bowl QBs are being picked off lately. Here's a rundown for ya:

Brees - 9
P. Manning - 9
E. Manning - 9
Cutler - 18
Warner - 11
Ryan -12

SteelCityMom
11-23-2009, 02:42 PM

Agreed. I don't think anybody needs to post future HOFer Lord Favre's TD/INT ratio to know that saying Ben is throwing too many picks is complete BS. I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head that were tipped balls (from the throw or from the receiver) that turned into an INT. Not much you can do about that.